SBJ predicts NASCAR return to ESPN

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
NASCAR negotiations get up to speed.

This deal won’t be completed in 2022. After all, NASCAR’s current deal runs through 2024. But when the car racing circuit starts its negotiations next year, it will find that Fox wants to renew, while NBC Sports, which will shut down NBCSN on Jan. 1, is more tepid. Talks with ESPN will heat up this year. Fox and ESPN will split the NASCAR package as part of a deal signed in 2023.

That and if ESPN even thinks about making races ESPN+ exclusive. I'll just pirate them instead

When you make watching sports arguably MORE byzantine and convoluted than cable ever was, you have to expect piracy to skyrocket.

Case in point football, to watch football without cable now, I'll need Peacock, Paramount Plus, ESPN+, an antenna/cable (for the Fox games) and Prime Video.. That's even more convoluted that cable!

You would think after NBCSN cratered that others would have learned their lesson about sports programming so lets make it even harder to watch them. Losing business? lets jack up the prices and make it more complicated, create an ever evolving cluster puck.

You would think after NBCSN cratered that others would have learned their lesson about sports programming so lets make it even harder to watch them. Losing business? lets jack up the prices and make it more complicated, create an ever evolving cluster puck.
Nope, they don't care. That revenue from subscriptions matters more

There are some hangups regarding ESPN that are behind the times. The pointedly progressive management that ruffled feathers in the 2010s is long gone, replaced by traditional corporate leadership.

NBCSN was the last and by far the weakest major foray into the sports network field. It was a drag on NASCAR Cup exposure. USA will offer a larger potential audience, but it's an odd fit.

The promotional power across ESPN and Disney platforms can be a help. F1 is a far more niche motorsports product in the U.S., and has benefited enormously from its move to ESPN from NBCSN cable.

NBCSN didn't even crater and wasn't considered a failure by any means, which was why it was shocking when NBC pulled the plug on it.

NBCSN was the last and by far the weakest major foray into the sports network field. It was a drag on NASCAR Cup exposure. USA will offer a larger potential audience, but it's an odd fit.

USA is a perfect fit for NASCAR, being the home of WWE RAW!

Disney sure has spent a LOT of money on new and extended sports rights and that’s without the upcoming NBA renewal. Can’t say I would mind them any more than NBC though. I do think NBC would be a bigger loser if they lost NASCAR than Disney a winner if they gained NASCAR. And it would probably be a net positive for NASCAR.

John Ourand is extremely well connected. He was the first to predict the NBCSN shuttering before any news of it emerged. I doubt he'd be so bold without well placed sources.

The latter 60% of the season package is much less attractive for networks than the opening package Fox has maintained for 20+ years. That is why it keeps bouncing back and forth. The playoffs have done nothing to change this reality.

John Ourand is extremely well connected. He was the first to predict the NBCSN shuttering before any news of it emerged. I doubt he'd be so bold without well placed sources.

The latter 60% of the season package is much less attractive for networks than the opening package Fox has maintained for 20+ years. That is why it keeps bouncing back and forth. The playoffs have done nothing to change this reality.
Eh, a lot is riding on Daytona to make that mark and that is a gamble.

Is it too early to pick our proverbial favorites for the new ESPN announcing crew?

That and if ESPN even thinks about making races ESPN+ exclusive. I'll just pirate them instead

When you make watching sports arguably MORE byzantine and convoluted than cable ever was, you have to expect piracy to skyrocket.

Case in point football, to watch football without cable now, I'll need Peacock, Paramount Plus, ESPN+, an antenna/cable (for the Fox games) and Prime Video.. That's even more convoluted that cable!
I couldn't agree more. It's why I'm good with cable at this point

Why would any top 3 series race be on ESPN+? That’s just Conference USA & FCS football.

ESPN wants round three?
I just don't see NASCAR leaving NBC as long as Comcast is a premier sponsor.
Xfinity has re-branded and re-upped as well. I agree, its one of NASCAR's premier sponsors. Not unless Disney is willing to pony up the money. They are getting close to contract ralks with the NBA (as @FLRacingFan mentions) and F1. Also, they just attained rights to the NHL and UFC has increased their footprint.

It's a lot of programming floating around, I could see NASCAR sticking with Comcast. NASCAR IMSA, and TrackPass have been deemed successes. Especially this year, I doubt they just drop the wave of momentum like this come 2023. I see NASCAR using this as leverage as well to up the money.

Is NBCSN really shutting down? What will they replace it with?

Yeah, Fox gets a lot more for less.

I could honestly see the second half of the schedule bouncing around short-term deals as long as Fox gets most everything.

ESPN wants round three?

Xfinity has re-branded and re-upped as well. I agree, its one of NASCAR's premier sponsors. Not unless Disney is willing to pony up the money. They are getting close to contract ralks with the NBA (as @FLRacingFan mentions) and F1. Also, they just attained rights to the NHL and UFC has increased their footprint.

It's a lot of programming floating around, I could see NASCAR sticking with Comcast. NASCAR IMSA, and TrackPass have been deemed successes. Especially this year, I doubt they just drop the wave of momentum like this come 2023. I see NASCAR using this as leverage as well to up the money.

There was a rumor a while back that Disney wanted to buy NASCAR.

Eh. Three years down the road. Too early for me to care much. Nothing I can do to influence it if I wanted.

Eh. Three years down the road. Too early for me to care much. Nothing I can do to influence it if I wanted.
Hell, I'm stuck three years previous when people were saying Nascar wasn't going to get a decent TV contract..now it is where in the hell IS Nascar.

ESPN will help that plus add in forms of streaming for ESPN+ subscribers

Disney might have their hands on damn near everything again soon.

It's only a matter of time before NASCAR is 100% subscription based. 10 years ago I was laughed at for saying most races wouldn't be over-the-air by 2025 and some events would be Pay-per-view. Looking more likely by the year

It's only a matter of time before NASCAR is 100% subscription based. 10 years ago I was laughed at for saying most races wouldn't be over-the-air by 2025 and some events would be Pay-per-view. Looking more likely by the year
19 of the 36 races are on Network tv and not 1 on PPV this year. 10 Years ago, using your prediction, 16 races of 36 were on Network Tv. So thats a net gain of 3 races over 10 years ago. Guess its not looking more likely.

It's only a matter of time before NASCAR is 100% subscription based.
You say that as if it's a bad thing. I could discontinue at least one cable tier, no commercials (ditch the stages?), and we wouldn't have to listen to people bitching about `NO POST-RACE SHOW!!! :mad:" .

I don't know if a streamer or distributor could afford the production costs or could get enough subscribers.

No NASCAR Cup Series races will be "pay-per-view." There might be some that end up on ESPN+ but it would probably be a very minimal number.

As for broadcast vs. cable, this literally won't matter. ESPN moved a bunch of programming off ABC and on ESPN several years ago and recorded ratings increases. Most people under the age of 50 aren't watching on rabbit ears.

The Final Four and NCAA Championship were on TBS. College Football Championship is on ESPN. NASCAR Championship used to be on ESPN, not ABC.

Back
Top Bottom