Second Las Vegas Cup race

Didn't NASCAR drop the Japan show due to lack of interest?
Probably. That seems like a bad choice of a country for it IMO.
Japan has a very small amount of hardcore motorsport fans.
They have 1 really big national series, which has only 7 races in Japan per year... They get a lot of people at the races, but thats a pretty small season.
They dont have many causal race fans there. Although having Toyota in the series back then would have helped I think...
NASCAR has a lot of fans in Europe and Australia and would do much better there IMO

Really sucks to see the Kentucky standalone get moved to Vegas. I don't understand why SMI doesn't bring the Xfinity or Truck Series to Sonoma in June with Cup or for a fall race.

A
The hottest races I ever have been a part of were Sunday afternoons at Darlington for the original Southern 500. I do my best to stay properly hydrated but I took extra measures prior to heading down to SC on Labor Day.
That's the primary reason I thought moving the race from Mom's Day in May back to Labor Day was a down-right stupid idea, tradition be damned.

...(if a deal can be worked out with the NFL to not broadcast a game) ...
Okay, sit down, put your head between your knees, and place this ice pack across the back of your neck. I've called 911 and the paramedics should be here momentarily.
<I don't think he's gonna make it...>

Dude, PRESIDENTS schedule around MNF.

I think Vegas as the finale would be a disaster for TV. Because of the current contract, you'd have to start the race at like 11am local time. If you want a primetime finish, you pretty much guarantee the race will be on cable. And Saturday night races are a proven disaster for TV ratings -- they just don't draw which is why NASCAR's moving more and more races back to Sunday afternoons.

They should keep the finale in Homestead.

NASCAR should really have the season finale rotate to different venues each year. The current system rewards someone who is REALLY good at one track.

NASCAR should really have the season finale rotate to different venues each year. The current system rewards someone who is REALLY good at one track.
They should rotate the whole Chase schedule every year. Use a set sequence and the scheduled could be published a couple of years in advance; plenty of time for tracks, fans, and all others concerned to make plans. Sure, some northern tracks would present a problem, but maybe rotate the first five around, with a second rotation for the last five.

Chase finale from M'ville :D <-- note the tiny brown stains on the ****-eatin' grin.

I'd like to see the Championship Round rotate between California, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Homestead-Miami.

They should rotate the whole Chase schedule every year. Use a set sequence and the scheduled could be published a couple of years in advance; plenty of time for tracks, fans, and all others concerned to make plans. Sure, some northern tracks would present a problem, but maybe rotate the first five around, with a second rotation for the last five.

Chase finale from M'ville :D <-- note the tiny brown stains on the ****-eatin' grin.

The funny thing is the football is played outdoors in November with nary a problem. I'm sure that people could sit outside in Charlotte or Bristol or Martinsville in November.

It's not the people in the stands, it's the snow on the track.

I'd pay to see that!

TB2CKqGapXXXXcPXXXXXXXXXXXX_%21%211633604207.jpg_430x430q90.jpg

A November show in balmy Loudon would be a great idea. Watch the stands fill with casual as well as hard core fans.

Do it on a Sunday when the World Champion New England Patriots have a home game.

Homestead is a neutral track though. It's like no other track on the circuit and there isn't a single race there until the finale.

Yeah have no interest in international races. I'd say Canada will get a race if they ever get that track Jeff Gordon is helping design up there. Plenty of tracks in the US I like to see NASCAR race on though like Pikes Peak, Portland International, Road America, Memphis, Gatway, or even Milwaukee.

Only a complete fool or a government entity would build a track capable of holding a cup event now. I don't see the good citizens of Ontario spending a nickel of tax dollars to build a new track or refurbish Mosport.

The funny thing is the football is played outdoors in November with nary a problem. I'm sure that people could sit outside in Charlotte or Bristol or Martinsville in November.

You would think so but for some reason it seems like a lot of the people that attend Nascar races think 50 degrees is cold.

Only a complete fool or a government entity would build a track capable of holding a cup event now. I don't see the good citizens of Ontario spending a nickel of tax dollars to build a new track or refurbish Mosport.

Refurbish Mosport? It's already a very good track that would bring a decent amount of fans. This Ontario track has been trying to build for 10 years so I'm considering it not happening.

Yeh ....what happens when there is a cold snap, I don't know about you but sitting in 40 degree weather with 20mph winds watching a race for 3-4 hours isn't my idea of fun.

Loudon has been a spiritual epicenter of New England motorsports for over half a century. From my racing days, more than a little blood, skin, sweat, and a few tears have seeped into the Loudon asphalt. My first race was there. My first crash too. And my first win, although there were not so many wins for me. I used to pitch a small tent in the pits to save motel money. There was this diner nearby with awesome homemade pies...

Despite my nostalgia, moving this poorly supported race to Las Vegas is a Nascar upgrade IMO. However, it's important to also change up Charlotte (or Kansas or Chicago) to avoid six 1.5ers in the playoffs.

I hope that Loudon can marshal all its support behind it's remaining date and make it a great event. SMI should twist arms locally to be permitted a night race in July IMO.

Plenty of other race series go international every year. F1, Indycar, WEC, WTCC, Australia's Supercars, Super GT, etc...
Even NASCAR made the 2 trips to Japan before. Wouldn't be a difficult thing for them to do at all.
I'm sure they would get a great crowd in Europe or Australia, at least the first few times. After a while and the hype has died down, who knows..
If NASCAR's offseason was longer, would be pretty cool to see them do a race overseas in December or January...
But since the off season is nearly non-existent, an international race seems like it would be pretty tough on teams...
Slow down there , all those series that have travel to different countrys are not doing 39 races a year, so they have the time in between to get their stuff to different countrys that you can not drive too. I know the travel can be a mix of air and ship, but it still takes time.

NASCAR made three trips to Japan,Suzuka 1996/97 and Twin Ring Motegi in 1998 for the last.

The Japan Super GT series has one race out of their 8 race schedule that is not in Japan, and there is a two month time span before that race/one before the next race. The current Indy car Schedule goes to Toronto, that is not same as going from American to Japan. WTCC has about a month break in between races that require travel to another continent.

What would be the expense to ship loaded haulers internationally?
I am sure it is.

Fun fact, when NASCAR went to Japan, they sent everything over in shipping containers , one reason being is the season was still under way when they had to have their race cars/equipment on the ship and headed to Japan , I think it was like a two month lead time( it was mentioned in the race broadcast)

Probably. That seems like a bad choice of a country for it IMO.
Japan has a very small amount of hardcore motorsport fans.
They have 1 really big national series, which has only 7 races in Japan per year... They get a lot of people at the races, but thats a pretty small season.
They dont have many causal race fans there. Although having Toyota in the series back then would have helped I think...
NASCAR has a lot of fans in Europe and Australia and would do much better there IMO
Are you kidding, the Japanese LOVED NASCAR when they were there, they ate it up like candy, I think Japan embraces as a whole motorsports better than we do here in the USA, I think they care for it more then we do, but I am not 100% certain, but I can ask some of my Japanese friends that live in Japan if I need to

Refurbish Mosport? It's already a very good track that would bring a decent amount of fans. This Ontario track has been trying to build for 10 years so I'm considering it not happening.

I should have said bring the track into compliance with cup requirements.

Loudon has been a spiritual epicenter of New England motorsports for over half a century. From my racing days, more than a little blood, skin, sweat, and a few tears have seeped into the Loudon asphalt. My first race was there. My first crash too. And my first win, although there were not so many wins for me. I used to pitch a small tent in the pits to save motel money. There was this diner nearby with awesome homemade pies...

Despite my nostalgia, moving this poorly supported race to Las Vegas is a Nascar upgrade IMO. However, it's important to also change up Charlotte (or Kansas or Chicago) to avoid six 1.5ers in the playoffs.

I hope that Loudon can marshal all its support behind it's remaining date and make it a great event. SMI should twist arms locally to be permitted a night race in July IMO.

I really don't see why Loudon would have an issue getting a night race. It isn't really located near anything so it's not like anything would be disturbed.

I really wish that the Trucks or Xfinity would return to Oxford Plains Speedway. That'd be a hell of a race.

Sad to see this. NHIS was one of the more interesting tracks on the circuit imo. A good track to test the driver, car and crew. It's been a track that's been on my bucket list for some time.

The ONLY somewhat "saving grace" is NHIS probably shouldn't have had a second race to begin with. The fact it came at the expense of North Wilkesboro will always bug me.

Back
Top Bottom