Second Las Vegas Cup race

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
I wonder who will be on the chopping block?

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...gas-close-landing-second-top-tier-nascar-race

Las Vegas is close to getting a second top-tier NASCAR race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway beginning in 2018.

The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority board of directors scheduled a special meeting Wednesday to consider a seven-year $2.5 million annual sponsorship agreement with NASCAR that would include the addition of a fall race at the speedway.

Since 1998, NASCAR has had a Las Vegas race, usually in March. This year’s race, the Kobalt 400, a part of the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup race series, is March 12.

While key figures aren’t talking specifics, the proposed contract that will be put to the 14-member board’s vote Wednesday provides some detail.

The sponsorship and marketing agreement would dedicate $1 million per race, plus $500,000 a year to market both the spring and fall races, beginning Jan. 1 for seven years with an option for three additional years.

The contract would be for “two NASCAR first-tier (currently Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series) sanctioned races at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway every year during the term of this agreement.”

Huh, I thought that the tracks were locked into their current number of races until 2020. If that agreement is now worthless then perhaps other changes are coming down the pipe (COTA?).

Huh, I thought that the tracks were locked into their current number of races until 2020. If that agreement is now worthless then perhaps other changes are coming down the pipe (COTA?).
Jenna Fryer said an outside venue would still have to buy a date from a current track. So this seemingly would be SMI swapping locations.

I wonder who will be on the chopping block?

A better question would be...who's bowing out?

It will be interesting to see what track is going. If its a 1 date track or if one is losing a second date.

I'm going to predict the former.

Well it would have to be another SMI track, I'm guessing Loudon.

Same here. If it became the championship race could move Homestead to Martinsvilles date and Martinsville to Loudons. Either way it goes I think Loudon loses its Playoff race.

Maybe SMI will sacrifice a Loudon date? SMI did write off a significant portion of their New Hampshire book value a year or two ago.

Please not another 1.5 miler in the chase.
Definitely. If this occurs at the expense of New Hampshire there would be as many in the Chase as there are in the entire regular season (although Homestead is different from the rest). We need to decide the championships on as diverse a schedule as possible.

A second date at Vegas while removing a date from any other than another 1.5er would be a step in the wrong direction..... again. Outside of actually being in Vegas there's absolutely nothing that stands out about that venue over any other track with virtually the same configuration. It woul be great if someone, anyone, involved with the future of this sport could think outside the box.

A second date at Vegas while removing a date from any other than another 1.5er would be a step in the wrong direction..... again. Outside of actually being in Vegas there's absolutely nothing that stands out about that venue over any other track with virtually the same configuration. It woul be great if someone, anyone, involved with the future of this sport could think outside the box.

Atlanta finally gone? Or does Loudon lose the date?

Maybe IMS will do humanity a favor and back away from their Cup date. Although, the 13 people that were gonna attend the Brickyard 400 next year would have to make other plans.
That would make the most sense but if IMS is still making money from that race, it won't happen. That race is almost pointless.

Don't think SMI bothers repaving Atlanta if they take away the only major date there.

Too soon?
Not for me.

My team has beat New England TWICE.

quarterback-eli-manning-of-the-new-york-giants-poses-with-the-vince-picture-id138326976

What's to say they aren't just replacing Kobalt/lowes as the race sponsor?

Atlanta finally gone? Or does Loudon lose the date?
Does Indycar race at Loudon? If not, why not? Maybe Loudon's fall data could be Indycar, trucks, and Nascar modifieds.

As others have mentioned, I don't think Atlanta makes sense with the repave investment there.

I'd choose the most "drive up on the wheel" type of 1.5 mile tracks.

Atlanta (RIP), Kentucky, Kansas...
It won't be Atlanta; they already have contracts to repave after this weekend.

It won't be Kansas; that's an ISC track.

That doesn't mean it will or won't be Kentucky, just the reasons why it won't be the other two you named.

I'd hate for it to be Loudon, but it wouldn't surprise me. Kind of ironic; didn't they get their second date from Rockingham?

That doesn't mean it will or won't be Kentucky, just the reasons why it won't be the other two you named.

I'd hate for it to be Loudon, but it wouldn't surprise me. Kind of ironic; didn't they get their second date from Rockingham?
If I were a betting man, I'd place my money on Loudon losing a date.

Maybe SMI will sacrifice a Loudon date? SMI did write off a significant portion of their New Hampshire book value a year or two ago.

At this point I don't think it would be much of a sacrifice as both races draw poorly and are not highly watched from home.

what if dover sold off one of its dates? the attendance there has been terrible. why not move back to one date if your them get some money for your second date.

I think it was Wilkesboro but IDK for sure.

"I love Vegas and I think it's a great sponsor," 2014 Cup champion Kevin Harvick said. "I think it would be good. But sometimes you can turn one great [race] into two mediocres. That's just something you have to be careful of and look at and really evaluate.

"Vegas is a great place to race. I enjoy going there. If it did wind up with a second race, I would be fine with that, but I would be cautious to look at a California-type situation where you have one great event that we had there and when we had two, it wasn't so great."

The potential deal with the Las Vegas visitors authority is for seven years with a three-year option. The deal does not include naming rights for races, but requires "Las Vegas" to be prominently displayed in the name and official logo for each race. It also requires use of a suite, 24 tickets, parking passes and free advertisements in the program.

It requires the race to be televised on Fox, FS1, NBC, NBCSN, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 or CBS.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/c...tor-speedway-seeking-approval-second-cup-race

Also from this piece, it says the contract calls for a race "usually in March" and a summer/fall race "normally September".

The 2016 race weekend drew 96,400 out-of-town visitors with an economic impact of $139.2 million.

Can we pretend Kentucky was never added and Las Vegas was given an extra race?

Can we pretend Kentucky was never added and Las Vegas was given an extra race?
Sure. Can we pretend neither were ever built, and that Wilkesboro and Rockingham were still going concerns, while we're at it, and that you're Jimmie Johnson and I'm Chad Knaus?

Back
Top Bottom