See any good movies lately?

Red Notice does the impossible ... it makes Gal Gadot even hotter. 🔥🔥🔥
I just saw that today on Netflix added it to my list.

I'm watching The Mask of Zorro, I don't know if I've ever seen anything else Zorro related but I've always liked this movie.

Watched two classics, From Russia with Love (1963) and White House Down (2013). Both excellent movies.

Wag the Dog (1997)-The film centers on a spin doctor and a Hollywood producer who fabricate a war to distract voters from a presidential scandal. Great movie!

I know many people are split by the later Jurrasic World movies, but the trailer for the 3rd on came out today and looks absolutely amazing

No Way Home is both a very overrated movie and a very good movie.

Movie had a ton of heart that only a few other movies in the superhero genre have had, but it’s still an MCU movie.

The Harder They Fall on Netflix was different but I liked it

I went and saw a couple of movies yesterday. I didn't care so much for the Death on the Nile, but I did enjoy the Outfit.

The Batman on HBO Max. 👍👍

I didn't think I was interested in another Batman film, and I'm honestly sick to death of superhero stuff, especially the formulaic Marvel sitcoms masquerading as cinema.

Started watching it, this is something different. Feels like an homage to Se7en and Zodiac.

1650375809684.png

I didn't think I was interested in another Batman film, and I'm honestly sick to death of superhero stuff, especially the formulaic Marvel sitcoms masquerading as cinema.

Started watching it, this is something different. Feels like an homage to Se7en and Zodiac.

I started watching it last night before going to sleep.

All jokes aside, I like the DC/DCEU movies a lot more than Marvel because there isn't a formula. Unfortunately, there isn't any set direction either.

Speaking of the DCEU, I recently rewatched Batman v Superman.

If this movie was released a few years later and if Zack Snyder's Justice League was released instead of Joss Whedon's pile of garbage, DC would be firing on all cylinders.

I started watching it last night before going to sleep.

All jokes aside, I like the DC/DCEU movies a lot more than Marvel because there isn't a formula. Unfortunately, there isn't any set direction either.
I liked several of the first generation Marvel movies just fine. Then it became a never ending colossus of paint by numbers vanity projects.

Finished The Batman. I found the first two hours or so to be genuinely engrossing, and a creative reinterpretation of the material. I really like how much time is spent on Batman as a detective.

The setup is better than the payoff. The third act veers back toward cliche, and none of the spectacle really hits on an action level. It's also overlong by at least half an hour, as almost every major movie is now. Brevity and crisp editing are lost arts. Still quite good and worthwhile overall.

I really enjoyed The Batman. Even though it was quite dark, both literally and figuratively.

I'm convinced Marvel secretly bought all the lighting rigs in Hollywood :XXROFL:

I am watching Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer and Sudden Impact. Got the CD set of 4 discs for 7 bucks delivered, on Amazon. 4 of my favorite Eastwood Movies.
1. I know your asking yourself, did he shoot 5 times or 6, tell ya the truth in all this excitement I can't remember, so, do ya feel lucky, punk.

2. A Man has gotta know his limitations.

Just finished season 1 of Reacher on Amazon. If you know the books, this is a really good series. They have the correct actor for Jack Reacher this time and the story line closely follows the book.

I've watched the first few episodes and it's great, much better than the movie. Alan Ritchson is much more convincing in the role than Tom Cruise was.

Saw Top Gun "Maverick" yesterday (AMC Tuesday $6.50 tickets) It was very good, enjoyed it a lot. They turn and burn a lot.

For you young folks here, you need to watch the original Top Gun before you see this one, or you will miss several connections.

Saw Top Gun "Maverick" yesterday (AMC Tuesday $6.50 tickets) It was very good, enjoyed it a lot. They turn and burn a lot.

For you young folks here, you need to watch the original Top Gun before you see this one, or you will miss several connections.

Twitter just discovered Jennifer Connelly because of this movie.

Just got back from seeing and hadn't been to the movies in years.... I kept my expectations low as I've seen the original more times than I can count.... Wow intensely packed extremely well constructed GREAT movie, rarely does a sequel live up to the billing but this one does.
👍👍👍👍

Reactions: sdj
I disagree that it's a "young people have shorter attention spans" thing. Young people have long attention spans for lots of things, like video games, different TV/Netflix series, and other sports with long games like soccer.

There are a couple factors at play here, and it covers all age demographics. First of all, we have almost infinitely more options today than in past generations, in terms of how we want to spend our screen time. It used to be that your screen time on Sunday was to watch the race or golf or football, or the news, or some syndicated old sitcom.

Now you can watch whatever sport you want, whatever TV show you want, whatever movie, youtuber, any interest, any hobby, you name it. Plus you have social media engagement that flatout didn't exist and also eats into our time. So it's not that young people now don't have the attention span. They have the attention span - they just don't need to settle for something they're not 100% into, and there are so many other things competing for everybody's attention than ever before. NASCAR needs to be as compelling as anything else if they want people to bite.

That leads me to my next point. It isn't as compelling to sit on the couch for three to four hours to watch a race unfold because races don't unfold the way they used to. Stages create cookie-cutter strategies almost every single week. We used to see tons of variation there. We also don't have random mechanical failures like we used to, which takes an element of surprise out of the event. There aren't as many variables to each weekend as there once was, so it feels pretty repetitive these days. I can totally see how somebody that isn't emotionally invested in this for several years already would have a hard time all the sudden committing a night or afternoon of every week for the better part of the year to this.

It flatout isn't as much of a developing story as it was in the past, and people want that story. That's what grabs people. Leaders staying out to win the stage and others pitting two laps before the stage end, every, single, weekend, is not what people are going to turn their undivided attention to when they have literally endless possibilities available to them. That affects *everybody* today.

I disagree that it's a "young people have shorter attention spans" thing. Young people have long attention spans for lots of things, like video games, different TV/Netflix series, and other sports with long games like soccer.

There are a couple factors at play here, and it covers all age demographics. First of all, we have almost infinitely more options today than in past generations, in terms of how we want to spend our screen time. It used to be that your screen time on Sunday was to watch the race or golf or football, or the news, or some syndicated old sitcom.

Now you can watch whatever sport you want, whatever TV show you want, whatever movie, youtuber, any interest, any hobby, you name it. Plus you have social media engagement that flatout didn't exist and also eats into our time. So it's not that young people now don't have the attention span. They have the attention span - they just don't need to settle for something they're not 100% into, and there are so many other things competing for everybody's attention than ever before. NASCAR needs to be as compelling as anything else if they want people to bite.

That leads me to my next point. It isn't as compelling to sit on the couch for three to four hours to watch a race unfold because races don't unfold the way they used to. Stages create cookie-cutter strategies almost every single week. We used to see tons of variation there. We also don't have random mechanical failures like we used to, which takes an element of surprise out of the event. There aren't as many variables to each weekend as there once was, so it feels pretty repetitive these days. I can totally see how somebody that isn't emotionally invested in this for several years already would have a hard time all the sudden committing a night or afternoon of every week for the better part of the year to this.

It flatout isn't as much of a developing story as it was in the past, and people want that story. That's what grabs people. Leaders staying out to win the stage and others pitting two laps before the stage end, every, single, weekend, is not what people are going to turn their undivided attention to when they have literally endless possibilities available to them. That affects *everybody* today.
The stages suck.

Young people can binge-watch TV shows on Netflix for hours. Young people sat in a movie theater for three hours for Avengers Endgame. Young people watched Zack Snyder's Justice League (FOUR HOURS) in one sitting.

This narrative is complete BS.

Young people can binge-watch TV shows on Netflix for hours. Young people sat in a movie theater for three hours for Avengers Endgame. Young people watched Zack Snyder's Justice League (FOUR HOURS) in one sitting.

This narrative is complete BS.
I don't even get where it stems from. It's literally just made up blame, like "them whippersnappers...". Funny enough, most people I know that stopped watching NASCAR in recent seasons did so in their 50s, after having watched for several years before just losing interest entirely.

I think the actual point is that younger generations tend not to have as much patience for things that don’t offer continuous action, excitement or drama. They will stay with something for 24 hours IF it constantly grabs their attention, but as soon as a lull hits, they are onto something else. I think that’s why most movies have become little more than CGI and stunt man one-upsmanship, why nobody reads books anymore, football and basketball have become offensive shootouts, baseball fans want to see two home runs an inning, and why they want self driving cars, because driving can be boring and tedious, and they would rather spend their drive time surfing instagram and Tik-tok. I’m not saying it’s wrong or right, just different. Nobody seems to enjoy the subtle nuances of anything anymore.

I agree with your first two paragraphs completely. 100%. The biggest bunch of BS is the "short attention span" narrative.

I agree to an extent with your last two paragraphs, but I would add that the broadcast partners continually only show one side of the sport....but that may be changing with NBC. The thing that separates this sport from all others is the cars. NASCAR went spec. There are no more secrets. Let's rip these things apart, and talk about them. NBC has an excellent graphics package that is helping with that.

Bottom line in all of this.....If you give people something compelling to watch, they will watch. NASCAR needs to take a look at how the sport is presented, and ask themselves if the product is compelling AND/OR is the way the product is being presented is compelling.

I don't even get where it stems from. It's literally just made up blame, like "them whippersnappers...". Funny enough, most people I know that stopped watching NASCAR in recent seasons did so in their 50s, after having watched for several years before just losing interest entirely.
It comes from idiots who haven't spent a minute with a kid these days....or they harken back to the the good ol days & try to validate that with a negative narrative about stuff they don't understand.

I think the actual point is that younger generations tend not to have as much patience for things that don’t offer continuous action, excitement or drama. They will stay with something for 24 hours IF it constantly grabs their attention, but as soon as a lull hits, they are onto something else. I think that’s why most movies have become little more than CGI and stunt man one-upsmanship, why nobody reads books anymore, football and basketball have become offensive shootouts, baseball fans want to see two home runs an inning, and why they want self driving cars, because driving can be boring and tedious, and they would rather spend their drive time surfing instagram and Tik-tok. I’m not saying it’s wrong or right, just different. Nobody seems to enjoy the subtle nuances of anything anymore.

LOL. Why don't you just say "get off my lawn you damn kids" and get it over with?

It all has to do with presentation. Everything does.

It's not that we have short attention spans, it's that "modern" is boring. Look at most of your Oscar-winning movies, downright boring with depressing asf endings that bring no joy. The best movie in a decade (Everything Everywhere All At Once) probably won't even be nominated because the movie is genuinely fun to watch. Modern music, so low energy. If I have to listen to Billie Eilish whisper lyrics about committing suicide to depressing background music one more time in my life, I will yeet myself through a window.

There's a reason Marvel movies are so successful, and it's not because of CGI and stunts. It's because the formula works. They're upbeat, sometimes funny, movies that bring you joy to watch. As stupid as these movies are, I actually sat down and watched a bunch of them during the COVID lockdown because it was a nice, HAPPY distraction.

Music from the 90s is the most popular music right now. The music of the 90s was very diverse, catchy, upbeat, high energy, and even the worst 90s songs are better than the majority of the crap being played on the radio (or is it Spotify now?) today. That's not even nostalgia because young people who weren't around in the 90s are jamming to this. When I was doing a bit of DJing during COVID, the 90s music I played was usually the most effective at getting people up and dancing.

As much as it makes TV snobs cringe to this day, "Full House" is still timeless television because it's fun and high energy and upbeat. But it's not "sophisticated" or doesn't "have meaning" or doesn't preach some kind of political message, so it's obviously crap TV.

This has nothing to do with attention spans, and Hailie's beliefs are disconnected from the majority of her generation. She has the right to speak her mind, and I have the right to say she's wrong.

NASCAR has a good product right now, and it has captivating personalities for the first time in a long time. People just have to give it time to blossom. And, for the love of God, find a TV partner that doesn't treat the sport like a damn cartoon, figuratively and literally. Fox Sports has been a problem for a long time. And it's not just NASCAR. NFL fans, by and large, have more favorable opinions of NBC and CBS. Golf fans loathe and detest Fox Sports. Baseball fans complain every October about Fox Sports.

I think the actual point is that younger generations tend not to have as much patience for things that don’t offer continuous action, excitement or drama. They will stay with something for 24 hours IF it constantly grabs their attention, but as soon as a lull hits, they are onto something else. I think that’s why most movies have become little more than CGI and stunt man one-upsmanship
This is everybody. This isn't a "younger generations" thing. This is that the entire climate of how we seek entertainment and how we are entertained has shifted massively in recent years.

As far as your point about movies being special effects gimmicks or whatever now, I just have to laugh at that. A quick look back to 1979 shows us that a film depicting James Bond going from England to space to investigate a shuttle theft (and all the accompanying zero-gravity special effects of that) grossed $210 million. Stuntman one-upsmanship was fueled by the tastes of older generations.

Check this one out; stuntmen dazzling the silver screen in 1939:

Back
Top Bottom