Silly Season 2020

Has anybody got a private cell phone number for that Gibbs hauler driver? You know, the one that's been winning all the races for the last five years, and works for cheap? I'm gonna suggest that Rick Hendrick give him a call, put him in the 88, and I'll be happy with a small finder's fee commission. LMAO.

Bell has been in Xfinity for three years and Custer is another prospect I think that will interest teams. Both have been in the development league for some time and both are very talented. I would not be surprised to see either move up the ladder.

Also, I want to see Moffitt in Xfinity full-time next year. If Moffitt can keep up that same level he is in trucks, he would be a great pick as well for a team. If he can get some type of sponsor behind him, I think that second Kaulig car would be a good fit for him with Haley, if the car is ready for full-time action next year.

Bell has been in Xfinity for three years and Custer is another prospect I think that will interest teams. Both have been in the development league for some time and both are very talented. I would not be surprised to see either move up the ladder.

Also, I want to see Moffitt in Xfinity full-time next year. If Moffitt can keep up that same level he is in trucks, he would be a great pick as well for a team. If he can get some type of sponsor behind him, I think that second Kaulig car would be a good fit for him with Haley, if the car is ready for full-time action next year.
I wish Moffit could find a way to get to Jr Motorsports in a full time ride, he'd kill it there IMO.

Bell said he was ready for cup this year. I don't think he is ignoring any offers that come along. I think he is a top prospect for a cup seat. Custer needs another year. He's on a good team only 21 though.

Has anybody got a private cell phone number for that Gibbs hauler driver? You know, the one that's been winning all the races for the last five years, and works for cheap? I'm gonna suggest that Rick Hendrick give him a call, put him in the 88, and I'll be happy with a small finder's fee commission. LMAO.
They already got trophies and arnt for sale, as The Preacher already issued a doctrine that states they are family: from the JGR FB Page-We SWEPT the Hauler Driver Challenge! The first time a team has done it. Congrats to our Freightliner Trucks driver’s Tom, Brendan, & Ken. We couldn’t do it without you.
42851605_10156731151189222_4536563746180431872_n.jpg

so you're saying at age 24 Bell isnt ready for Cup right now? I'd put him in a Cup car right now if I could. and I wasnt saying Erik Jones should be fired, I'd hire him in a second too if I had a Cup car, hes a good driver future champion. I hope Erik keeps his ride.
actually that is not what I am saying. What I am saying is kicking eric to the curb and replacing him with Bell, may not be the magic solution. I personally don't think there would be much difference between the 2 of them in a cup car, OR even if say eric got demoted back to the NXS car Bell is currently driving. I think we would see pretty much the same thing. If that is indeed the case, why make a change? I think that is the thinking with joe gibbs and the sports insiders.

people saying chuck the 88 and alex boman, I guess we should fire jimmie too, alex isn't god and frankly the HMS cars have been too slow to show what alex can even do anyways. we have no idea what alex can do, he has mostly driven junk cars even at HMS. What I do find surprising is the people that get some of the lower tier rides. Why in the world is david ragen and michael mcdowell still driving back marker cars? I would rather have a guy like the dinger driving instead of either one of those guys. I can't believe it when I see david ragen back in a car year after year.

I'm not ruling it out but Bell should absolutely not be in Xfinity another season.

Custer can wait until 2021 for a SHR shot, but I think he should consider another team or as an SHR affiliated car.

Before everybody writes off Bowman, did you all see the race yesterday? 2nd place from the back with a team that STILL isn't good as it should be. How about the week before? Lest we already forget that Alex was a couple of bad luck finishes away from advancing to the third round of the playoffs last year.
As far as Hamlin or Busch at HMS, I wouldn't be any more shocked if I woke up with my head sewed to the floor if either of those guys ends up in a HMS car. Even a reformed Kurt Busch isn't really HMS material. Hamlin most certainly is not. Not enough of a "team player" for one thing.
Amen to this. I still am not ready to write off Bowman or Byron at the top level.

Alex Bowman was, frankly, pretty anonymous out on the track for the first quarter of the season. However, he and his team probably felt the fire licking at their feet, figuratively speaking. The 88 team has come back from the one designated off-weekend with renewed determination, and it shows. Immediately, Alex gets two runner-up finishes and is battling for stage wins after trundling around in the lower top-20's for much of the season. The fact that Byron stuck around in the top-ten and didn't fall off too far from his starting position shows me that these two guys, and Hendrick as whole might just be scaling the mountain they've had to climb since the inception of the Camaro. Now, things could change, and these results could be one-offs, but I don't think they are. With saying that, I really think it would be a travesty if Alex Bowman was to be given the axe in favor of another driver. He's done nothing to warrant being replaced.

I haven't thought about Larson. Clean cut, holds his mud well, family man. Yeah makes sense in many ways.

I'm not sure Larson would sign with anyone who won't give him the freedom to run a lot of dirt stuff in season, and that would be a reversal for Hendrick. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it would be a negotiating point.

Giving Bowman the axe after this year wouldn’t make much sense to me unless there were a solid veteran or a top prospect HMS could get. Frankly, I’m not sure there are any HMS culture fits for the former and the only prospect of such stature would be Bell. That said, Bowman would seem to be the most expendable at the time as the sponsors on that car pre-date his arrival while Byron brings his own sponsor.

Larson is fun to think about but he seems like more of an SHR fit for reasons @gnomesayin mentioned. Rick letting Kyle run umpteen sprint and midget car races is the stuff of fairy tales.

Yeah Blaney has said he can't race a sprint car at Penske. I'm not sure about Hendrick's thoughts about that, probably not too great. I don't think Bowman is getting the boot especially if he keeps doing what he has been doing. Bell is going to be the big fish this off season unless he gets a seat early. The longer it drags on I would think he has jumped ship or there are two teams involved.

I would rather have kurt busch in my car than any of these other wild card drivers who may or may not be any good. kurt knows what a fast car feels like and has worked with a bunch of people. he also has seemed to finally settle down. from my understanding away from the outbursts he is actually pretty good to work for or with.

Yeah Blaney has said he can't race a sprint car at Penske. I'm not sure about Hendrick's thoughts about that, probably not too great. I don't think Bowman is getting the boot especially if he keeps doing what he has been doing. Bell is going to be the big fish this off season unless he gets a seat early. The longer it drags on I would think he has jumped ship or there are two teams involved.
Rick didnt like Kasey racing sprints.

I'm not sure Larson would sign with anyone who won't give him the freedom to run a lot of dirt stuff in season, and that would be a reversal for Hendrick. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it would be a negotiating point.
I think Larson might still hold a grudge when Hendrick wanted him to bring 300 grand to get the ride back when he was coming in. Chip told hime he didnt need any money that he would be paying him. Thats pretty big with Larson.

Amen to this. I still am not ready to write off Bowman or Byron at the top level.

Alex Bowman was, frankly, pretty anonymous out on the track for the first quarter of the season. However, he and his team probably felt the fire licking at their feet, figuratively speaking. The 88 team has come back from the one designated off-weekend with renewed determination, and it shows. Immediately, Alex gets two runner-up finishes and is battling for stage wins after trundling around in the lower top-20's for much of the season. The fact that Byron stuck around in the top-ten and didn't fall off too far from his starting position shows me that these two guys, and Hendrick as whole might just be scaling the mountain they've had to climb since the inception of the Camaro. Now, things could change, and these results could be one-offs, but I don't think they are. With saying that, I really think it would be a travesty if Alex Bowman was to be given the axe in favor of another driver. He's done nothing to warrant being replaced.

Alex "The Showman" Bowman is the xFactor on Hendrick Motorsports. He's a seasoned young driver & has been close to winning races several times, including when he was just a substitute driver for Jr.

Hearing that the 43 team will shutter after the Coke 600
BREAKING NEWS! Hope its not true for Bubba's sake as I dont know where he'd go from there. Hopefully maybe RC can put him in one of his Xfinity Series Cars.

Last edited:
@davidgillilandfan38 has a short, but solid track record when it comes to these things. I won't be one to dismiss him outright.

I'm curious to see if NASCAR media picks up on this...that is a pretty short timeline, if true.

I'm surprised that Blaney even made that comment being that he has only driven a sprint a few times.

@davidgillilandfan38 has a short, but solid track record when it comes to these things. I won't be one to dismiss him outright.

I'm curious to see if NASCAR media picks up on this...that is a pretty short timeline, if true.

Honestly I'm really disappointed if this happens. The 43 needs to be around IMO, but the marketing plan has not panned out. I expected more companies to bite, but the team has struggled in the past with sponsors. World Wide Technologies have been introduced to NASCAR and they are really buying into the sport. Especially after backing Gateway like they have, its really been positive for them.

I'm hoping someone can step up for the team to keep the doors open, but I'm not holding my breath anymore. If, Reddick and all of these younger guys can attract sponsorship. What makes Bubba a hard sell? Or is it maybe Petty's marketing department just cannot get folks to buy in anymore?

This flat out sucks if its true tbh. Maybe that Smithfield issue really backfired more than we thought.

Honestly I'm really disappointed if this happens. The 43 needs to be around IMO, but the marketing plan has not panned out. I expected more companies to bite, but the team has struggled in the past with sponsors. World Wide Technologies have been introduced to NASCAR and they are really buying into the sport. Especially after backing Gateway like they have, its really been positive for them.

I'm hoping someone can step up for the team to keep the doors open, but I'm not holding my breath anymore. If, Reddick and all of these younger guys can attract sponsorship. What makes Bubba a hard sell? Or is it maybe Petty's marketing department just cannot get folks to buy in anymore?

This flat out sucks if its true tbh. Maybe that Smithfield issue really backfired more than we thought.
The war of words they got into with Smithfield could only have hurt them in the long run. Just not a good tactic, not good optics to potential sponsors.

The war of words they got into with Smithfield could only have hurt them in the long run. Just not a good tactic, not good optics to potential sponsors.

Exactly, its similar to having a job interview conducted. I lost out on a position at Publix Distribution due to slandering a previous company I worked for.... That's rule number one and Petty violated the rule. It may lead to the demise of the team prematurely.

Not to mention in the teams position, I would not sit here and **** talk a long-time sponsor.

For the sake of argument, IF $20 million dollars is thrown out as a competitive team budget -- (I know, NASCAR is working to get better numbers; and Haas stated his 4 car team budget was even higher).

Is Bubba worthy of a $20 million/year ride?

How about Blaney, Byron, Bowman, Jones, Suarez, Austin?...

This is real money being flushed down the crapper for maybe 1 win per year (or less) average. And for what? -- an investment for the future of the sport? to fill out a multi-car team? a future Cup Champion Trophy, maybe?

I would love to see what Bubba could do in a top ride, but I'm not writing the check. Who would?

I'm not one of the ones screaming for Bubba to be in a better car, I'd like to see him and RPM to build with one another IMO. I mean, if there are no numbers out here to show the difference in sponsorship dollars. I wish they would IMO, but sponsors like Axalta, N'Wide, Fedex, Mars, and other big sponsors in the sport spend about 3-5 million a year. I have to find the graphic...

Here it is, @StandOnIt used it previously:
b0a29d1f-53d0-45fe-9b44-fbfa8b75abbd.png

Advocare spent almost 3 million a year on Trevor Bayne back on 2016. Nature's Bakery was going to spend 3 million on Danica in bigger organizations... All of the drivers are worth something IMO, I can only imagine how the prices are now. Just for thought, Ryan Reed was getting about 10 million a year for Lilly's in sponsorship and marketing.
https://www.ibj.com/articles/52145-...car-driver-may-help-lilly-regain-market-share

Bubba is worth a decent sponsor with RPM IMO. If guys like Lajoie, DiBenedetto, McDowell, Regan, and others are able to get sponsors and retain them. Why not Bubba then? This is no woes me, its what I see. 20 million us a bit of a reach IMO. Maybe between 2-5 million, also you have to think about the ROI from the investment. A lot to think about when going though the process of spending a lump of money and profiting off of it. Look at Aftershockz for Bubba, they have received a LOT of attention after picking up him up as a personal sponsor.

Smithfield leaving was the equivalent of NAPA bailing on MWR yet Petty stayed alive through RCR but I think thats starting to be a drain.

I'm not one of the ones screaming for Bubba to be in a better car, I'd like to see him and RPM to build with one another IMO. I mean, if there are no numbers out here to show the difference in sponsorship dollars. I wish they would IMO, but sponsors like Axalta, N'Wide, Fedex, Mars, and other big sponsors in the sport spend about 3-5 million a year. I have to find the graphic...

Advocare spent almost 3 million a year on Trevor Bayne back on 2016. Nature's Bakery was going to spend 3 million on Danica in bigger organizations... All of the drivers are worth something IMO, I can only imagine how the prices are now. Just for thought, Ryan Reed was getting about 10 million a year for Lilly's in sponsorship and marketing.
https://www.ibj.com/articles/52145-...car-driver-may-help-lilly-regain-market-share

Bubba is worth a decent sponsor with RPM IMO. If guys like Lajoie, DiBenedetto, McDowell, Regan, and others are able to get sponsors and retain them. Why not Bubba then? This is no woes me, its what I see. 20 million us a bit of a reach IMO. Maybe between 2-5 million, also you have to think about the ROI from the investment. A lot to think about when going though the process of spending a lump of money and profiting off of it. Look at Aftershockz for Bubba, they have received a LOT of attention after picking up him up as a personal sponsor.
Those numbers you posted are what sponsors spent on TOP of the Race Team Sponsorship. Commercials, at track promotions etc...

Smithfield leaving was the equivalent of NAPA bailing on MWR yet Petty stayed alive through RCR but I think thats starting to be a drain.

Smithfield was a massive business to business deal other contingency companies such as Waffle House, they use Smithfield products. Smithfield was the licensee for Nathan's Hot Dog as well, it was a major loss for RPM.

Haas (2015) stated it was $20 million dollars per car -- and he added that it was roughly $100 million dollars for his entire program. He was comparing his 4 car NASCAR program to his 2 car F1 start up program estimated between $100-110 million dollars per year. To put Bubba in a car, the figures you list are not the complete cost. A driver is but one element in a complex race organization.

Sponsorship is part of revenue, it is not the cost to go racing.

Haas (2015) stated it was $20 million dollars per car -- and he added that it was roughly $100 million dollars for his entire program. He was comparing his 4 car NASCAR program to his 2 car F1 start up program estimated between $100-110 million dollars per year. To put Bubba in a car, the figures you list are not the complete cost. A driver is but one element in a complex race organization.

Sponsorship is part of revenue, it is not the cost to go racing.

Boom. Okay then, I was sitting here crunching numbers and it wasn't adding up. Misinformation and misdirection, that's my fault.

The owners clamored for Gen 7 to be bumped up to 2021 with a whole host of cost-cutting measures. These figures like $20 million per car per year are not static and vary a lot from one context to another.

Make of this what you will...

That'd be bad ass to have Petty Enterprises come back. Hope it really honestly works out for Bubba, PE can find some good sponsors for him, they hire some good people and maybe even Kyle comes back to help run things. Hopefully this is all good news!

FWIW, there are other rumors floating around that RPM will be selling the charter to RCR (#31 Tyler Reddick) and going to a part-time status under the Petty Enterprises name. I hope that's not the case, but unless there is a solid source of funding coming on board, I'm not sure prolonging this as it is now is good for anyone involved.

Back
Top Bottom