Silly Season 2023

It isn't a charity though. Kyle and Toyota are only united by business transactions in which both have mutually benefitted from the conditions. Kyle's labor as a driver and owner aren't free, and if a Ford or Chevy team can give him better return on his efforts then he doesn't owe Toyota a discount. Toyota has way deeper pockets than Kyle Busch has. He doesn't need to give them an inch.
Looks like the lack of a sponsor is the problem. He has given an inch. Who knows he might have to give a foot to get a deal together.

TRD has done a ton to make Kyle what he is today. Let's not forget his failed year running his own Xfinity car without TRD engines and JGR support. Only win they had all season was with Kurt behind the wheel.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I feel like Kyle Busch has done more for Toyota marketing than Toyota has done for Kyle. First Toyota Cup Series win, first Toyota Cup Series championship, first Toyota multi-time Cup Series champ. He could have gotten top engines regardless of which manufacturer he was linked to.

I feel like Kyle Busch has done more for Toyota marketing than Toyota has done for Kyle. First Toyota Cup Series win, first Toyota Cup Series championship, first Toyota multi-time Cup Series champ. He could have gotten top engines regardless of which manufacturer he was linked to.
That's good for a bio. It's what have you done for me lately now and it doesn't look like they are going to foot the bill if he doesn't get sponsorship. For all he has done for them I think if a full boat sponsor doesn't show up I think they should cover whatever is left and they are chickens**ts if they don't.

That’s really the whole issue. Because of his racing teams in the lower series Toyota needs Kyle Busch for developmental purposes. To lose that to say Ford would be crippling

That’s really the whole issue. Because of his racing teams in the lower series Toyota needs Kyle Busch for developmental purposes. To lose that to say Ford would be crippling
Do they? Ty never sat in a KBM vehicle and Sammy Smith was in a KBM ARCA car but jumped the KBM truck. Kinda seems like they've already shown they can do it without KBM

Do they? Ty never sat in a KBM vehicle and Sammy Smith was in a KBM ARCA car but jumped the KBM truck. Kinda seems like they've already shown they can do it without KBM

I understand what you’re saying but to me its crucial that they maintain their presence in trucks since they basically have no presence in Xfinity outside of two cars

I understand what you’re saying but to me its crucial that they maintain their presence in trucks since they basically have no presence in Xfinity outside of two cars
They had 15 yotas in the IRP truck race and they still lost. You think that is enough presence? They could lose 3 and nobody would know. Chevy had 17 same thing. Ford is a different story they had 4 trucks in the field and are leading the series. Go figure.

That's good for a bio. It's what have you done for me lately now and it doesn't look like they are going to foot the bill if he doesn't get sponsorship. For all he has done for them I think if a full boat sponsor doesn't show up I think they should cover whatever is left and they are chickens**ts if they don't.
Lol. Kyle has been the highest (certainly top 3) paid driver for quite some time. He's been given a fully funded truck team (that he actually MAKES money on despite 0 invested). His behavior has been grounds for termination several times, but Toyota has always stepped up to the plate for him and saved his neck. His off the track perks and PSAs are staggering. But yes, other than that, it's clearly just a one-sided relationship IMO. Nine figures worth of compensation over the years for all he's done is clearly not enough. And now since no sponsor wants to touch him, Toyota should definitely write even more checks so he can continue to make more than twice the salary of Chase Elliott and three times that of Ryan Blaney. That seems like a perfectly reasonable request that no successful business should ever refuse.

Lol. Kyle has been the highest (certainly top 3) paid driver for quite some time. He's been given a fully funded truck team (that he actually MAKES money on despite 0 invested). His behavior has been grounds for termination several times, but Toyota has always stepped up to the plate for him and saved his neck. His off the track perks and PSAs are staggering. But yes, other than that, it's clearly just a one-sided relationship IMO. Nine figures worth of compensation over the years for all he's done is clearly not enough. And now since no sponsor wants to touch him, Toyota should definitely write even more checks so he can continue to make more than twice the salary of Chase Elliott and three times that of Ryan Blaney. That seems like a perfectly reasonable request that no successful business should ever refuse.
Would you be comfortable elaborating on the truck series team and how much support Toyota actually gives KBM, specifically? Honest question; what's the difference if Kyle and Toyota were to cut ties and then Kyle just took on random pay drivers from outside of the Toyota development camp, versus what he's doing now?

Would you be comfortable elaborating on the truck series team and how much support Toyota actually gives KBM, specifically? Honest question; what's the difference if Kyle and Toyota were to cut ties and then Kyle just took on random pay drivers from outside of the Toyota development camp, versus what he's doing now?
I couldn't give you a specific dollar amount, however JBL, Safelite, Mobil 1, Yahoo, SiriusXM, and I might be forgetting a few, are all B-to-B Toyota relationships. Plus whatever else Toyota kicks in along with engines and support. So of course Kyle can leave manufacturers if he wanted to (or had to) but he would just be starting from scratch wrt sponsorship. He'd probably be looking for pay-to-play drivers. At that point I'd have to imagine he wouldn't want the bother. Meanwhile, I suspect Toyota wouldn't have much trouble finding another team willing to wrap their trucks in all those beautiful, fully funded liveries if it meant switching manufacturers. Or they could just strengthen what teams they already have.

It's just a lot easier, especially for a guy like Kyle (who already has another job) to run a race team with checks he can count on every single month to fund the entire operation. And it's a big one. He's got a huge building with lots of the best and brightest on staff. To suddenly leave Toyota would essentially mean starting from square one trying to find drivers with enough sponsorship to fund the car and everything else that comes with owning a successful race team. Plenty of people in that series do that - but I just don't think Kyle has the appetite to be chasing down checks every single month in order to downsize. Not at this point in his career. Who knows, maybe Ford or Chevy would set him up with a similar deal. But my original point was in regard to Kyle doing more for Toyota than Toyota has done for him, or Toyota owing him or whatever. I just don't see that as the case. Yes, Kyle wins often (historically) and has had many of the first wins, but he is compensated more than any other driver in the garage. So I think it's a pretty fair and even trade. Toyota is big on loyalty, but I don't think they necessarily "owe" him anything. He's gotten plenty to date.

It's just a lot easier, especially for a guy like Kyle (who already has another job) to run a race team with checks he can count on every single month to fund the entire operation. And it's a big one. He's got a huge building with lots of the best and brightest on staff. To suddenly leave Toyota would essentially mean starting from square one trying to find drivers with enough sponsorship to fund the car and everything else that comes with owning a successful race team. Plenty of people in that series do that - but I just don't think Kyle has the appetite to be chasing down checks every single month in order to downsize. Not at this point in his career. Who knows, maybe Ford or Chevy would set him up with a similar deal. But my original point was in regard to Kyle doing more for Toyota than Toyota has done for him, or Toyota owing him or whatever. I just don't see that as the case. Yes, Kyle wins often (historically) and has had many of the first wins, but he is compensated more than any other driver in the garage. So I think it's a pretty fair and even trade. Toyota is big on loyalty, but I don't think they necessarily "owe" him anything. He's gotten plenty to date.
Does he have majority say over who drives his trucks or does Toyota basically decide?

Since this is the "thoughts about KDB thread," I'll add that it is his own antics that is proving his undoing. Why would any sponsor want him as a corporate representative/spokesperson?
What's really unfortunate is that I am not sure what kind of "heart" he really has. Many of us are perceived differently than what is reality.
It's entirely possible that with a little effort and future restraint he could become a NASCAR legend instead of an a whole.

Does he have majority say over who drives his trucks or does Toyota basically decide?
I would say it's pretty mutual. They both know the goal of the program, so that kinda limits the pool. If Kyle really felt strongly against someone Toyota wanted, Toyota would probably listen. Conversely, if Toyota felt very strongly against someone Kyle wanted, Kyle would probably listen. It's a partnership.

Since this is the "thoughts about KDB thread," I'll add that it is his own antics that is proving his undoing. Why would any sponsor want him as a corporate representative/spokesperson?
What's really unfortunate is that I am not sure what kind of "heart" he really has. Many of us are perceived differently than what is reality.
It's entirely possible that with a little effort and future restraint he could become a NASCAR legend instead of an a whole.
Newsflash, you don't know what kind of heart any of them have. What they say in front of an NBC camera is not how they're talking to their friends

@Allenbaba I know it's not a q/a with you, but I think the last big thing people (myself included) want to know is does Kyle's off track personality/antics play any kind of role in teams that would or conversely wouldn't sign him. I remember all the rumors he was booted from HMS for his shenanigans and Mr. h had no patience left.

@Allenbaba I know it's not a q/a with you, but I think the last big thing people (myself included) want to know is does Kyle's off track personality/antics play any kind of role in teams that would or conversely wouldn't sign him. I remember all the rumors he was booted from HMS for his shenanigans and Mr. h had no patience left.
I think it's a combination of personality/antics (he's not an easy guy to work with), salary requirements, and difficulty of finding a sponsor that's a good fit for his personality.

I think it's a combination of personality/antics (he's not an easy guy to work with), salary requirements, and difficulty of finding a sponsor that's a good fit for his personality.
Why doesn't he just get Rowdy Energy to sponsor his race team? 😜

part of the hms thing was kyles dad,they finally locked him out of hms

:idunno: Anybody know what this is about? Watkins Glenn is on that day?

I didn’t know Bill Elliott motorsports was still a thing beyond Bill vintage racing

:idunno: Anybody know what this is about? Watkins Glenn is on that day?

I'm guessing it's a prank? I have no idea why Bill be getting back into ownership at this point

There's also a website...someone is putting in a lot of work to troll

Screenshot_20220802-181643_Chrome.jpg

When it’s some random dude named Bill Elliott who came into a **** ton of money and said **** it I’m going to start a team

I'm guessing the domain name expired on Billelliott .c o m and someone hopped on it as a joke.

I believe Kurt will retire at the end of the season due to the effects of the many concussions he has had over the years, and a deal will be brokered to get Kyle into the 45 with Monster Sponsorship. This gives Joe Jibbs the opportunity to put his grandson in the 18 for a lot less money and sponsorship pressure. I could be way off, but that is a possibility that may come to fruition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Kurt will retire at the end of the season due to the effects of the many concussions he has had over the years, and a deal will be brokered to get Kyle into the 45 with Monster Sponsorship. This gives Joe Jibbs the opportunity to put his grandson in the 18 for a lot less money and sponsorship pressure. I could be way off, but that is a possibility that may come to fruition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What happens to Kyle’s energy drink, Rowdy?

What happens to Kyle’s energy drink, Rowdy?
Honestly Kyle to 23XI is a rather interesting thought that hadn't really crossed my mind, regardless of the COI and sponsorship issue(s). It could be a compromise with Toyota's desire to keep him and Joe wanting to bring in Ty.

Tbh with the Kurt issues, if he retires I would expect maybe Ty to come in and drive that car for a year or so until Reddick joins and a JGR ride opens up (if Kyle does re-sign, maybe a Truex retirement etc). Similar to how Erik Jones drove the 77 and Bell the 95 for a season before moving to the mothership.

Back
Top Bottom