Silly Season 2024

Not at all. He was the one that apparently announced first tthat he wouldn't be back next season. It was only after he already announced he wouldn't return next season that they cut him loose for the remainder of this year and put Chandler Smith in the truick.
1696178898990.png

I'm not disagreeing with what you say happened at all. I was only pointing out that they cut him loose for these last 3 races AFTER he told them he wouldn't be back next year. The way I read what you are saying is that his release from these last 3 races was the first thing that happened in the chain of events and it was not. He had already told them he wouldn't be back next year. He wasn't looking to be hired back.

What he should NOT have been surprised about however, at least in my opinion was that they just went ahead and let him go for the last 3 races this year after he told them that. He is apparently upset and surprised about that and he shouldn't have been. Some companies make a business decision to release someone early after being told that person won't be back in the future and this company apparently is one of them. Something similar happened when Tyler Reddick told RCR that he would be moving to 23XI in 2324. The difference is that Tyler announced up front what he would be doing and where he was going in the future and Matt didn't.

Matt tends to get emotional however and is probably making a bigger deal out of this than he should be. He is the one that started the chain of events, at least according to the facts we are being told.

Not sure why people think this. A good portion of that subreddit is identical to this forum. You block out the bad eggs, but there's A LOT and I mean A LOT of people there who fit the "racing-forums" mold, if you will

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

There are a couple of issues with Reddit than an old school linear discussion board like this avoids:

A - The upvote/downvote system results in the most popular opinions ending up on top and anything that challenges them getting downvoted, which is more conducive to circlejerking than an actual discussion. You also can't follow a discussion in a linear manner because Reddit auto sorts by "Best" and not "New" and most people don't adjust this setting. Go to NASCAR Reddit and you'll see some bat **** stuff upvoted to the top, which means that the sane people are buried. If an idea is popular, it can go unchallenged. People end up in bubbles and don't learn from people with whom they disagree.

B - We have a smaller community so it's easier to form relationships with other posters and interact across a variety of threads. In some sense, this builds a community. It's the same reason why a small town is more tight knit than a big city. You basically know everyone.

Erebus Motorsport will be jumping into Cup next year with an expanded part-time effort with RCR and Kostecki. They currently lead both the driver’s and team’s championship in Supercars.

Erebus Motorsport will be jumping into Cup next year with an expanded part-time effort with RCR and Kostecki. They currently lead both the driver’s and team’s championship in Supercars.

Would be neat if they can get Marcos Ambrose in for a race with his old Supercars team, idk how much Erebus in 2023 still has a connection with Stone Brothers

Would be neat if they can get Marcos Ambrose in for a race with his old Supercars team, idk how much Erebus in 2023 still has a connection with Stone Brothers
I will let someone that knows the details confirm, but I'm pretty sure when Ambrose went back to Supercars after NASCAR he sucked and I doubt he would be racing

I will let someone that knows the details confirm, but I'm pretty sure when Ambrose went back to Supercars after NASCAR he sucked and I doubt he would be racing
Unfortunately. He’d spent a decade away by the time he got back and was unfamiliar with the cars and tracks. It might be hard to believe but he spent about twice as much of his career in NASCAR than he did before in Supercars. He did a few rounds and essentially retired when it was apparent he didn’t have it.

He did some sort of race earlier this year, his first since then, and it seemed like he had fun. I second that he would be a fun addition for some SRX stuff.

I don't think anybody is saying that NOBODY will touch Larson, just nobody that is willing to match the value of the slot that Hendrick Cars fills on the car, and as was mentioned, that is determined as much by what other HMS cars are getting for similar exposure as it is the 5 car. As for the value Rick claims he gets from having Hendrick Cars on the car, value is in the eye of the beholder. Even if HE honestly believes it's worth it doesn't mean a non-partisan person would. The one question I would have is if this self sponsorship is such a great business model, why doesn't Roger Penske ever do it? Why didn't Bruton Smith ever use his car dealerships to sponsor a race? We are going to assume that Gene Haas's use of the tactic is for the same reason as Rick's Because there is no other more viable alternative.

I’m sure that Haas and Hendrick would rather be receiving checks from sponsors than quasi self sponsoring.

Penske has of course put his name on his cars, but more often than not it is to fill the gap between external sponsors and/or because the flying cigarette packs in Indycar needed words to go with the red and white color scheme. In general though, I think common sense dictates that as wonderful as the ROI on self funding a car for Hendrick might be (and keep in mind he is frequently self-sponsoring in locales where there is no Hendrick dealership for hundreds of miles), the ROI on having someone who is not you paying for the car is almost certainly going to be much better.

One is going to be Deegan, right? I figure if they’re having AM Racing hold a “major” announcement at the Hall of Fame, it has be something significant.
Supposedly, Moffitt takes over the 38 truck. Deegan to the 25 and I think the second car is supposed to be an "all-star" entry.

I could be completely wrong as well.

Penske has of course put his name on his cars, but more often than not it is to fill the gap between external sponsors and/or because the flying cigarette packs in Indycar needed words to go with the red and white color scheme. In general though, I think common sense dictates that as wonderful as the ROI on self funding a car for Hendrick might be (and keep in mind he is frequently self-sponsoring in locales where there is no Hendrick dealership for hundreds of miles), the ROI on having someone who is not you paying for the car is almost certainly going to be much better.

Why does the locale of the race matter to where the dealerships are? The race is broadcast nationally. The amount of people at the race is a fraction of who are watching on TV.

The flood gates have been opened.

And charter prices will continue skyrocketing

Sooner or later, the charters will have to be addressed. Yes, the teams love them because they add value to each race team besides the physical stuff.

However, the trend for motorsports across the globe is cost control or cost cutting. I would argue that the cost of the charters are already prohibitive to everyone except for the wealthy.

Sooner or later, the charters will have to be addressed. Yes, the teams love them because they add value to each race team besides the physical stuff.

However, the trend for motorsports across the globe is cost control or cost cutting. I would argue that the cost of the charters are already prohibitive to everyone except for the wealthy.

It's a peculiar problem. For years, NASCAR teams died and the owners walked away with nothing. This at least guarantees that you have some of value if your team goes belly up, which may be increasing the incentive to invest.

NASCAR should look into increasing the size of the field and number of charters.

It's a peculiar problem. For years, NASCAR teams died and the owners walked away with nothing. This at least guarantees that you have some of value if your team goes belly up, which may be increasing the incentive to invest.

NASCAR should look into increasing the size of the field and number of charters.

The current owners will scream and yell if they issue out more charters, because that'll devalue their charters, and they can't have that.

The current owners will scream and yell if they issue out more charters, because that'll devalue their charters, and they can't have that.

There has to be a balance. If charters are analogous to sports franchises then NASCAR reserves the right to expand. I think most sports leagues provide for the existing owners receiving a fee for that, which is fine, but expansion has to be a possibility.

Why does the locale of the race matter to where the dealerships are? The race is broadcast nationally. The amount of people at the race is a fraction of who are watching on TV.
1) Zero sponsor activation possible at multiple events.

2) You're right in that the amount of people at the race is a fraction of who is watching on TV, but they're all still eyeballs and wallets who are dedicated enough to NASCAR that they bought a ticket that should be interacting with the brand! They can't in this instance because the brand is located far, far away from Pocono, NHMS, Phoenix, Chicago, Iowa, Gateway, et al

3) Hendrick's dealerships are predominantly in the southern US and in complete minority of US states and territories, which makes advertising spend taking place in other places poor for any kind of return. Could you run Bojangles or Krystal commercials nationally? Sure. Do you see Bojangles commercials nationally? No. There is a reason for this.

Cost controls affect operating expenses. The price paid to acquire a charter is not an operating expense, it is an investment in a long term asset.

2 entirely different things.

Increasing the number of charters would require RTA agreement and a franchise fee payable to them which would be equal to or greater than the value of the most recent charter sale.

Do you think NASCAR ownership is for people that are not wealthy?

re: the charter discussion, isn't NASCAR's stated position at least according to the RTA that they don't want charters at all? And that this is the fundamental sticking point between the RTA and NASCAR for 2025 and why there is no agreement between the two? Or did I miss something while I was on a vacation and they smoothed this all over...

re: the charter discussion, isn't NASCAR's stated position at least according to the RTA that they don't want charters at all? And that this is the fundamental sticking point between the RTA and NASCAR for 2025 and why there is no agreement between the two? Or did I miss something while I was on a vacation and they smoothed this all over...
No official word so far on charters after 2024

Honestly, this is one of those times where it would be beneficial for NASCAR to flex it's muscle and phase out charters.

Based upon the most recent sale, the current value of the 36 Cup Series Charters is $ 1.440 Billion.

How does one go about “phasing them out”?
I would think there would have to be some compensation. Especially for those who just paid $40 million for one

“Hey, Jeff ... NASCASH just called. The Charters are over. Give accounting a call and tell them to wipe $160 Million off the Fixed Assets ledger.”

“Right away, Mr. H. Does this mean my share of HMS is worth less?”

“I’m afraid so ... would you like a slice of HendrickCars.com? Business is booming online.”

No excuses for her.

Hailie is super nice, approachable, and always had nice conversations with her. Wonderful personality in person, just if the on-track performance can match her personality, she'll be fine. I wish her the best because she's going to have to step up to the plate, big time, next year.

Honestly, this is one of those times where it would be beneficial for NASCAR to flex it's muscle and phase out charters.

This would be a terrible idea. The NASCAR Cup Series is a major sport and being able to participate should hold some value. This isn't your Saturday night dirt track. If we want people to invest in Cup racing, then we need to give them something of value. Owners were asking for something like the charter system 15-20 years ago (I remember Ray Evernham being outspoken about it). Before the Charters, you could be financially ruined if you started a Cup team and it went belly up. This was the major sport where there was no value in owning a team outside of the nuts and bolts.

Expand the number of charters and require payment of a franchising fee (or whatever buzz phrase NASCAR would use) to existing charter owners when someone buys one of the new charters. That's how every other team sport does it.

Back
Top Bottom