Silly Season 2024

It’s odd because I would think he could get a better Xfinity ride on merit. If Newman has to take **** tier rides then the sponsorship model is FUBAR.
Like he was in pretty much quality rides all of his career, until maybe Roush, why slum it with RWR and MBM. He's still competitive I just watched him run at Wilkesboro in a modified last week.

Probably need to understand a bit more about higher tier racing. Newman has the possibility of getting a better finish in that car than other drivers for the price.

Like he was in pretty much quality rides all of his career, until maybe Roush, why slum it with RWR and MBM. He's still competitive I just watched him run at Wilkesboro in a modified last week.
Do you really think he will make more money driving a modified than an Xfinity car?

Probably need to understand a bit more about higher tier racing. Newman has the possibility of getting a better finish in that car than other drivers for the price.

It’s understandable why a lower tier team would hire Ryan Newman but it makes no sense why he would have to take the ride.

Make or break time for Hailie Deegan. In the truck series, you could say she didn't get a fair shot because the truck series is a wreck-fest. However, the Xfinity series isn't a wreck-fest. So here's hoping that Deegan can at least match the performance expectations of her equipment.

Maybe Newman... just... I don't know... likes racing?? He's still pretty active across short tracks as well.
The last time I saw him race he was in a Silver Crown car IIRC so I'm gonna go with you on this. He's just out there having a good time and honestly I doubt he's making much of anything from any of these races.

I feel like many missed my point I never said Newman is too old or said he shouldn't do it, he can race what he wants.

I knew what you meant. Retired cup drivers sometimes race in other series but they don’t normally return to cup to drive for a crap team.
Heh, didn't both Labontes do precisely that? And Jimmie too, though in fairness he owns shares in the crappy team he drives for. Things are different now. It used to be you raced until you couldn't any more. Now guys are so wealthy they race because they want to.

Heh, didn't both Labontes do precisely that? And Jimmie too, though in fairness he owns shares in the crappy team he drives for. Things are different now. It used to be you raced until you couldn't any more. Now guys are so wealthy they race because they want to.

But for how long? Today drivers salaries are going down significantly, yes the top guys still make good money from endorsements, but NASCAR is not the national powerhouse it used to be and very few drivers are household names.

But for how long? Today drivers salaries are going down significantly, yes the top guys still make good money from endorsements, but NASCAR is not the national powerhouse it used to be and very few drivers are household names.
That's all true, but look at who enters NASCAR now vs. 1985 or whatever too. The Gray kids aren't gonna go run late models.

The 66 Xfinity team has been a junk team for years. One of the drivers in their rent-a-ride program suddenly found speed driving for another team. I don't expect Newman to be competitive in that car much like he wasn't driving for RWR.

The 66 Xfinity team has been a junk team for years. One of the drivers in their rent-a-ride program suddenly found speed driving for another team. I don't expect Newman to be competitive in that car much like he wasn't driving for RWR.
They are probably gambling on a better finish with a better driver. Something to be aware of. Every place from a certain point pays more in the back marker LeMans series as they call it.

The "Wild Ass Speculation" going around X, Reddit, and DBC (via Bob Pockrass) is Noah Gragson will come out of exile and end up at SHR. I thought Tony had let go of the reins there, but hiring Noah would be the most Tony thing they could do.

...is Newman broke or our these low level teams the only ones taking his sponsors?
Screenshot_20231010_155024_Chrome.jpg

Maybe, just maybe, he Loves racing. $ seems to be the least of his motivators...

Dont know if you all saw this

The "Wild Ass Speculation" going around X, Reddit, and DBC (via Bob Pockrass) is Noah Gragson will come out of exile and end up at SHR. I thought Tony had let go of the reins there, but hiring Noah would be the most Tony thing they could do.

If Ford lets them hire Gragson after turning down Larson then they are some of the dumbest people in motorsports.

Dont know if you all saw this
Back to the family. Love this. Legacy is going to be a very interesting team to watch.

Serious questions - why would this be something Tony would want to do? Gragson isn't an all arounder akin to Larson or Bell. He's a rich kid who went up the "F1 Ladder System But With Waffle House" pavement late model->NASCAR pipeline.

It won't take much talent to replace Almirola, replacing Smithfield is another story. Gragson is going to end up somewhere next year, SHR is as good as any and one hell of a jump if the rumors are true to a four car team.

It won't take much talent to replace Almirola, replacing Smithfield is another story. Gragson is going to end up somewhere next year, SHR is as good as any and one hell of a jump if the rumors are true to a four car team.

It’s possible Smithfield likes Gragson, though he seems to have the exact opposite personality type from Almirola.

Back
Top Bottom