Silly Season 2024

The economic realities of the sport are inescapable. However, the whole “trophy hunting” rah-rah brand the team built up over the past several years had fans hoping for more with this season’s Cup lineup. It’s good they’re finding ways to keep the lights on until they (hopefully) find ways to make the Cup program more viable, but it’s hard to say it isn’t at least a temporary step back in competition level.

Yeah it's tough when you learn there isn't any Santa Claus, and that racing has never been fair. Not one of ya know how or why Kraus got the contract. I hope he has a good showing myself, and I bet you can guess what I think about the rest lol. Waabulance time.

Yeah it's tough when you learn there isn't any Santa Claus, and that racing has never been fair. Not one of ya know how or why Kraus got the contract. I hope he has a good showing myself, and I bet you can guess what I think about the rest lol. Waabulance time.

We know why he got the ride… daddy’s checkbook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeb Burton, Austin Hill, Justin Allgaier, and Ty Majeski all have shown more promise than him.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Multiple rides have changed hands over the years that these gentlemen have been driving. There are probably reasons they don't have Cup seats, reasons beyond someone else buying a 6-race seat. Allgaier in particular has been passed over for quite a while. Owners may know more than we do.

Multiple rides have changed hands over the years that these gentlemen have been driving. There are probably reasons they don't have Cup seats, reasons beyond someone else buying a 6-race seat. Allgaier in particular has been passed over for quite a while. Owners may know more than we do.
I root for Allgaier every week. He is my guy. But he has reached his level of talent.

Justin is very much seasoned vet and mentor to many of the young drivers coming up.
The lower tiers used to have more competent veteran drivers who didn't have Cup careers for whatever reasons. Fortunately, there are still a handful of them left, although I wish they made up more of the field.

My previous post was not to downplay Allgaier's ability in Xfinity. I was trying to say that of the drivers @wi_racefan listed, he seems the least likely to move to a Cup ride.

Full-sponsored ride, paid well, and a top flight team in Xfinity?

I wouldn't move either. Justin is very much seasoned vet and mentor to many of the young drivers coming up.
Couldn’t have said it better myself. Better to be in a car that can win any given week in Xfinity, than in a Cup car you have to push that extra push to get a decent finish from it. I stay as well.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Better to be in a car that can win any given week in Xfinity, than in a Cup car you have to push that extra push to get a decent finish from it. I stay as well.
Then again he has a sponsor that buys his ride in xfinity, who will step up for a cup ride?

I think they should loosen up or get rid of the restrictions on Cup drivers in Xfinity & Trucks aka Buschwacking & Bounty Trucking.

I think Ross Chastain and/or Zane Smith or Carson Hocevar against AJ Allmendinger & Justin Allgaier gunnin’ it for the Xfinity Championship on The CW would be entertaining.

I think Kyle Busch and Kyle Larson, Bubba Wallace and other drivers in Craftsman Trucks helps these inexperienced noobs get better.

I think they should loosen up or get rid of the restrictions on Cup drivers in Xfinity & Trucks aka Buschwacking & Bounty Trucking.

I think Ross Chastain and/or Zane Smith or Carson Hocevar against AJ Allmendinger & Justin Allgaier gunnin’ it for the Xfinity Championship on The CW would be entertaining.

I think Kyle Busch and Kyle Larson, Bubba Wallace and other drivers in Craftsman Trucks helps these inexperienced noobs get better.
They do not.

I don’t agree about bottom feeding by the top drivers benefiting the truck or xfinity guys. I’m fine with 1-2 races a year as a show but every time KB wins that’s money and glory and development some lesser paid guy who’s developing can’t win. I wouldn’t want to see Patrick Mahomes starting half the games for Clemson or Notre Dame at this point either.

If you’ve made it to the top you can go down and coach or own or something but I’d keep the limit that’s on it or make it stricter.

I don’t agree about bottom feeding by the top drivers benefiting the truck or xfinity guys. I’m fine with 1-2 races a year as a show but every time KB wins that’s money and glory and development some lesser paid guy who’s developing can’t win. I wouldn’t want to see Patrick Mahomes starting half the games for Clemson or Notre Dame at this point either.

If you’ve made it to the top you can go down and coach or own or something but I’d keep the limit that’s on it or make it stricter.
My only exception is if they're doing it in their own equipment. Actually their own stuff, not prepared by a big cup team

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yeah KB winning the other night really hurt Ty Majeski’s ability to close a race.

Not even the same comparison.

And your example of drivers who don’t like it? Brendan Gaughan said time and time again that racing with Cup drivers in Xfinity was a good thing.
What are they supposed to say? If you admit you don't like it, you'll get pummeled in the court of public opinion, and it won't win you many friends in the Cup garage, where you're TRYING to get. It's like trying to get a spot on the starting football roster by complaining how the first string guys are working you over. You basically have to get the crap beat out of you and take it with a smile.

What are they supposed to say? If you admit you don't like it, you'll get pummeled in the court of public opinion, and it won't win you many friends in the Cup garage, where you're TRYING to get. It's like trying to get a spot on the starting football roster by complaining how the first string guys are working you over.......

No, it’s not like football at all. Nobody ever said these Xfinity & Truck drivers can’t race these Cup drivers extra hard.

I don’t hear other drivers whining about Kyle Larson driving sprint cars.

Buschwacking was horrendous for the sport. I'm glad it's limited now.

What was horrendous about it? Literally no one can make a name for themselves anymore besides ironically the guy who “Buschwacked” more than any other driver in the 2010s- Ross Chastain.

What was horrendous about it? Literally no one can make a name for themselves anymore besides ironically the guy who “Buschwacked” more than any other driver in the 2010s- Ross Chastain.

Buschwhacking killed the talent pipeline so throughly that Andy Lally and Kevin Conway have Rookie of the Year trophies. We don't know guys like Landon Cassill might have developed if Cup guys weren't taking rides from him every week.

Buschwhacking killed the talent pipeline so throughly that Andy Lally and Kevin Conway have Rookie of the Year trophies. We don't know guys like Landon Cassill might have developed if Cup guys weren't taking rides from him every week.

Killed the talent pipeline or neutered star drivers? Times change, I’m not sure they don’t need to go back to a less restrictive system again.

Let’s not forget that Brad Keselowski & Joey Logano too was another phenom that had no problem with Buschwacking at that time.

Landon has had plenty of chances even beyond 2008.

Let’s not forget that Brad Keselowski & Joey Logano too was another phenom that had no problem with Buschwacking at that time.

Brad was the only real talent that emerged from the late 2000s Nationwide Series. Joey Logano, maybe, but he was also developing in the Cup Series and never drove a full season.

Brad was the only real talent that emerged from the late 2000s Nationwide Series. Joey Logano, maybe, but he was also developing in the Cup Series and never drove a full season.

Brad Keselowski, Joey Logano, Michael McDowell, David Reutimann.

They should allow drivers with 3 years of Cup experience or less like Zane Smith, Carson Hocevar & JHN to be able to race Trucks, Xfinity & Cup both full time at the very least, IMO.

That’s not really Buschwacking all that much with that limited of experience.

Probably should read the rules. Drivers with less than three seasons can run the lower series at will. But again if designated as a cup driver...see below.

NASCAR has once again reduced the pool of Cup Series drivers eligible to compete in Xfinity and Trucks and the number of races in which they may participate.
Beginning next season, drivers with more than three fulltime seasons in the Cup series will be limited to five races each year in both Xfinity and Trucks.
In addition, any drivers earning points in the Cup series are barred from running in the regular-season finale and all playoff races in each series as well as the Xfinity Series Dash 4 Cash races and the three races which comprise the Triple Truck Challenge.

Back
Top Bottom