Silly Season 2024

He pays HMS with his own personal tax-paid dollars?

I don’t think so.

Last time I checked he owned the business so any money spent on sponsorship is money that he directly controls.

Hendrick fanboys can delude themselves otherwise but Rick Hendrick is the owner, chairman, and CEO of Hendrick Automative Group.

I thought Honda did not make v8's especially overhead valve. Do they get the yota deal

Last time I checked he owned the business so any money spent on sponsorship is money that he directly controls.

Hendrick fanboys can delude themselves otherwise but Rick Hendrick is the owner, chairman, and CEO of Hendrick Automative Group.

You and I have already discussed this ad nauseam, so I'll just leave this here, in case you missed the memo....

Screenshot-20240228-152910-copy-1080x1087.png

Great point. Right now it sure seems like the demand is outweighing the supply, which is a good problem to have. And expanding seems like a logical move if another OEM joins.

I miss the days of 43-car fields.
The owners in Formula One clearly don't agree with that view. They have exactly the same opportunity as this one, and their response wasn't just no, but HELL NO.

I thought Honda did not make v8's especially overhead valve. Do they get the yota deal
The three current Cup engines have been created from whole cloth with no relationship to production engines, so Honda would just have to design an engine that falls into the box NASCAR gives them. If Honda knows anything, they know engines, so I don't think it would be too difficult for them. They would likely try to hire some key people away from ECR, HMS, Roush Yates or TRD to guide and validate their designs.

I will never understand why HMS fans can’t accept that Rick Hendrick is willing to invest money in the sport to self fund teams to help drivers develop while also getting his brand out there.

It’s an admirable trait in a team owner.

Plenty of engine builders out there. Honda isn't going to re-invent the wheel. They have to get within legal parameters and there are plenty of builders out there already doing that with push rod V8's.

No-one said he wasn’t.

If you’re paying for something “out of your pocket”, you have to have tax-paid dollars in said pocket.

I can’t imagine you don’t understand the basics of the personal and corporate tax systems in the US.

I will never understand why HMS fans can’t accept that Rick Hendrick is willing to invest money in the sport to self fund teams to help drivers develop while also getting his brand out there.

It’s an admirable trait in a team owner.
Well part of it is that as long as I have been following this stuff is that it has always been an unwritten rule that you don't spend your own money to fund your race team. Obviously every owners does that to a certain extent, but Rick is kind of taking it to unprecedented levels. To me, it also makes the claim of not turning a profit on the race team for years kind of fall on deaf ears. If the team isn't making any money, then clearly Hendrick Cars is part of that problem, the part that nobody will ever talk about.

Well part of it is that as long as I have been following this stuff is that it has always been an unwritten rule that you don't spend your own money to fund your race team. Obviously every owners does that to a certain extent, but Rick is kind of taking it to unprecedented levels. To me, it also makes the claim of not turning a profit on the race team for years kind of fall on deaf ears. If the team isn't making any money, then clearly Hendrick Cars is part of that problem, the part that nobody will ever talk about.
That's news to me.

LOL.

The most popular driver in the sport (Elliott), the guy with the most wins last year (Byron), and the only Cup driver with a 38-race primary (Bowman) are all racing with HendrickCars.com sponsorship on the 17. Hmm, I wonder why??? Here's a hint: it's not because they can't find a sponsor to meet Rick's price, and it's not because he's throwing these guys a bone to fund their development.

Is Rick Hendrick a generous man who invests a lot in motorsports? Yeah, I certainly think so. Did Larson have trouble attracting valuable sponsorship opportunities in early 2021? I'm sure. But let's quit ignoring the fact that Mr. H is a very smart businessman, and Hendrick Automotive Group wouldn't be sponsoring so many drivers and teams if they didn't think the ROI was worth it.

All of these things can be true, but you keep finding new ways to suggest it's not a valuable sponsor instead of acknowledging the legitimate reasons behind the decision.

[/QUOTE]
The most popular driver in the sport (Elliott), the guy with the most wins last year (Byron), and the only Cup driver with a 38-race primary (Bowman) are all racing with HendrickCars.com sponsorship on the 17. Hmm, I wonder why??? Here's a hint: it's not because they can't find a sponsor to meet Rick's price, and it's not because he's throwing these guys a bone to fund their development.

You’re not engaging honestly on this. Two things can be true at once. Hendrick can have trouble finding a sponsor for Larson while still wanting to self fund his guys running Xfinity races. He’s rich enough to do it and it doesn’t seem to put him at a financial detriment.

You seem personally offended at the idea of Rick Hendrick using the money from his businesses to support racing. Rick Hendrick has invested in racing for 40 years and has been very successful.

I respect Rick Hendrick for what he has done for racing but a lot of my dislike of Hendrick Motorsports comes down to the blind worship that their fanboys have for him.

It’s a self sponsorship. You can debate the merits of it. I’m sure Rick sees some benefit from it, but it’s not a prestigious sponsorship. What‘s next? Are you going to claim that Rick Hendrick can deduct his solo lunches on his taxes because he’s meeting with a prestigious external sponsor?

This all started from me giving Rick Hendrick credit for investing in Rajah. The fact that you felt the need to run in here and mount some kind of defense of that fact says more about you than me.

You’re not engaging honestly on this. Two things can be true at once. Hendrick can have trouble finding a sponsor for Larson while still wanting to self fund his guys running Xfinity races. He’s rich enough to do it and it doesn’t seem to put him at a financial detriment.

You seem personally offended at the idea of Rick Hendrick using the money from his businesses to support racing. Rick Hendrick has invested in racing for 40 years and has been very successful.

I respect Rick Hendrick for what he has done for racing but a lot of my dislike of Hendrick Motorsports comes down to the blind worship that their fanboys have for him.

It’s a self sponsorship. You can debate the merits of it. I’m sure Rick sees some benefit from it, but it’s not a prestigious sponsorship. What‘s next? Are you going to claim that Rick Hendrick can deduct his solo lunches on his taxes because he’s meeting with a prestigious external sponsor?

This all started from me giving Rick Hendrick credit for investing in Rajah. The fact that you felt the need to run in here and mount some kind of defense of that fact says more about you than me.

I'm not offended by anything. But if you keep spouting nonsense like this.....

A Hendrick Cars sponsorship is basically Rick funding you out of his own pocket

....then I'll keep correcting you.

if Carl,I didn’t have this on my bingo card for 2024. I bet he’ll be a guest on the DJD as soon as he’s announced

[/QUOTE]

Some people have no concept on how much a billion is and don't mention Garage 56.

Does Rick Hendrick not own Hendrick Automotive Group? If so then he is using his money to sponsor his drivers.

If he doesn’t, you might want to tell them to update their “History” page because it’s largely a bio of Rick Hendrick: https://www.hendrickcars.com/corporate-history.htm

Whether it’s money in his personal or business bank account, it’s still money he controls and checks that he has to sign. The fact that you won’t acknowledge this simple fact is astounding. He could pull that money out of business and claim it as profit, he could reinvest in some aspect of the business, he could even use it to invest otherwise in Hendrick Motorsports. It’s his money.

You can’t even praise Rick Hendrick without his fanboys jumping down your throat. I’m sure Rick Hendrick needs you to defend him from the salacious accusation of “investing in auto racing.”

Does Rick Hendrick not own Hendrick Automotive Group? If so then he is using his money to sponsor his drivers.

If he doesn’t, you might want to tell them to update their “History” page because it’s largely a bio of Rick Hendrick: https://www.hendrickcars.com/corporate-history.htm

Whether it’s money in his personal or business bank account, it’s still money he controls and checks that he has to sign. The fact that you won’t acknowledge this simple fact is astounding. He could pull that money out of business and claim it as profit, he could reinvest in some aspect of the business, he could even use it to invest otherwise in Hendrick Motorsports. It’s his money.

You can’t even praise Rick Hendrick without his fanboys jumping down your throat.

Oh, I acknowledge that. But that was never my point, and I think you know that whether you want to admit it or not.

I'll shut up about it, because clearly this is going nowhere, and I've derailed this thread enough.

You can’t even praise Rick Hendrick without his fanboys jumping down your throat. I’m sure Rick Hendrick needs you to defend him from the salacious accusation of “investing in auto racing.”
But he’s not using his own money. That’s what gets me hung up on these arguments. He’s using the money of Hendrick Automotive Group to invest back into Motorsports and his own team. He’s using one businesses money to subsidize another business. Not at any point I would think he’s using his own actual money for anything to do with racing, if he started tapping into his own funds then it’s case closed over. No successful business person uses their own money, at least for a long period of time, if so it’s lights out

Oh, I acknowledge that. But that was never my point, and I think you know that whether you want to admit it or not.

I'll shut up about it, because clearly this is going nowhere, and I've derailed this thread enough.

I think we’re both getting caught up on semantics. Hendrick is investing money from Hendrick Automotive Group into Hendrick Motorsports. I think everyone can agree on that and we can put this discussion to bed.

Hendrick can have trouble finding a sponsor for Larson while still wanting to self fund his guys running Xfinity races.
This assumes Rick is trying to find another sponsor for Larson. I'll grant that may have been the case when he first came on board with a minimal performance record ald the taste of foot still strong in his mouth. Now he has a title as wins a couple or more each season. I've read a couple of places that the dealers are very happy with the sponsorship and are displeased on the occasions other sponsors are on the car.

I submit Rick has no interest in finding a different primary sponsor for the car, and is making no effort.

Scroll further down. There’s literally a thread where one guy posits that Trackhouse hiring additional drivers puts Suarez on the hot seat and another where someone asks why keep Suarez when SVG is right there.
I don't understand the hype on SVG, he has one race in Nascar and nothing anywhere else on this continent.

You should. RH may buy his own underwear but almost everything else is covered by an expense account in one form or another.
His businesses are strictly just that and they will pay sponsor dollars like every other company.

You should. RH may buy his own underwear but almost everything else is covered by an expense account in one form or another.
His businesses are strictly just that and they will pay sponsor dollars like every other company.
Many people don't understand the legal separations between business owners and the business's finances, particularly regarding corporations vs. private ownership.

Many people don't understand the legal separations between business owners and the business's finances, particularly regarding corporations vs. private ownership.

I went to law school and passed a bar exam and make my living as an independent contractor that conducts business through an LLC that I own so I understand this distinction very well and from multiple angles.

It doesn't change the fact that when I make decisions for my business (do I invest in advertising this month? Do I buy a new database subscription? Do I travel to a client site at a discount to build a relationship with a new client? Do I decide to take on a client that will lose me money because I believe in the cause?), I'm using funds that I control directly. The money is in my pocket, it just depends on whether or not that pocket is in my corporate pants or my personal pants. There are obviously limitations on the use of corporate money. The IRS may not like if I bought a PlayStation 5 and claimed it as a business expense. But I could also pay myself a bonus from any surplus profit and shift that money to my personal account (though there are obviously tax implications to doing this) and do whatever I want with it.

Like I said, I think we're getting hung up on semantics.

I went to law school and passed a bar exam and make my living as an independent contractor that conducts business through an LLC that I own so I understand this distinction very well and from multiple angles.
For the record, I was not specifically referring to you. It was a general statement. I think you and I have traded enough posts for you to realize if I referring to you, I'll @ you or explicitly name you.

Like I said, I think we're getting hung up on semantics.
:cheers:

Private corporations, like Hendrick Automotive Group, don't need to show ROI to shareholders at any level. If the CEO wants to sponsor something, guess what happens? This is true of literally all corporate sponsorships. The idea that Hendrick is happy to turn down other people's money to put his own logo on his own cars to advertise in markets where he has no dealerships to sell cars to people has always been hilarious to me: Lemme guess, Spencer Gallagher earned the Allegiant Airlines sponsorship, right? Paul Menard also earned the Menards sponsorship, Brendan Gaughan the South Point sponsorship, John Wes Townley (extremely not RIP) the Zaxby's sponsorship, and so on...

Private corporations, like Hendrick Automotive Group, don't need to show ROI to shareholders at any level. If the CEO wants to sponsor something, guess what happens? This is true of literally all corporate sponsorships. The idea that Hendrick is happy to turn down other people's money to put his own logo on his own cars to advertise in markets where he has no dealerships to sell cars to people has always been hilarious to me: Lemme guess, Spencer Gallagher earned the Allegiant Airlines sponsorship, right? Paul Menard also earned the Menards sponsorship, Brendan Gaughan the South Point sponsorship, John Wes Townley (extremely not RIP) the Zaxby's sponsorship, and so on...

Sure, but all of those companies sponsored other drivers and teams at one point or another in addition to the drivers with family ties to the sponsor. And keep in mind HendrickCars.com has been a sponsor of many non-Hendrick race teams. Also, they sell (ship) to customers all over the country, so your point about the markets really doesn't apply.

As far as a CEO wanting to sponsor something and getting their way, I think you're right about that. When Robert Niblock was CEO of Lowe's, they were spending $35 million a year to be on the 48 just so he could go to the track every weekend. Niblock goes away, Marvin Ellison comes in, and Lowe's is instantly gone from NASCAR.

Back
Top Bottom