So Far, The Boys Aren't Having At It

I can see why non Nascar fans would think that Jeff Gordon isn't trying this year . The simple fact is that he is 17th in points . A closer look would show that he has run well and but for a couple bad breaks , would have won a couple of races by now. To say that he isn't trying , is simplistic , at best.

However, you started the thread and asked the question so after three days and 80 replies, what's your theory?
Back to one of my earlier posts..... I think what we are seeing is a result of the Chase. There is an inherent need to get that first win in the books. The basic concept is that if you win, you are all but assured a spot in NASCAR's playoff system. Get a second win and you can pretty much bank on it. At that point you are then open to try as many things as you can, setup wise, in order to gain that advantage in the final 10 races of the season. We currently have 6 different winners in the first 7 races. Each one of them with a probable hall pass into the Chase format. I think that you'll see these drivers starting to take more risks as time goes on as there is nothing to lose. As more drivers get that first win of the season then that'll start bringing about more of the 'Boyz Have At It' mentality.

I can see why non Nascar fans would think that Jeff Gordon isn't trying this year . The simple fact is that he is 17th in points . A closer look would show that he has run well and but for a couple bad breaks , would have won a couple of races by now. To say that he isn't trying , is simplistic , at best.
You left out asinine, as in, simplistic and asinine. ;)

That's exactly how I see it.

Yeah ..Hendrick's trailer. I assume he was talking about the race stratagy and not the year.
Oh yeah, he said they were just waiting for their spot to go, I do think for the non Nascar fan, I could see where that would come off bad. I think every driver tries has hard has he can on every lap. Sometimes a good setup just gets out in clean air an takes off.

Johnson whining about being raced too hard...same old, same old.

Oh yeah, he said they were just waiting for their spot to go, I do think for the non Nascar fan, I could see where that would come off bad. I think every driver tries has hard has he can on every lap. Sometimes a good setup just gets out in clean air an takes off.

Some days there is just not enough 'clean air' to go around. It makes perfectly good cars look like they missed the set up.

Generally when you are 2 laps down you get the f**k out of the way. It's no wonder Newman has no friends in the garage.

Kurt Busch wasn't 2 laps down last year at Pocono but Johnson still cried that he was raced too hard.

But, personally, I hope Johnson and Newman beat the hell out of one another all season long.

Generally when you are 2 laps down you get the f**k out of the way. It's no wonder Newman has no friends in the garage.

However Newman was not Two laps down, he was one lap down and trying hard to stay one lap down in hopes of a caution/Lucky Dog break I can't fault him for that. Besides it's not like he changed lanes to block JJ, JJ should have looked ahead and planned to take Newman on the low side like Biffle did.

When a driver moves over for a faster car , he is said to be not trying . When a driver doesn't move over for a faster driver , he is said to be trying too hard . You gotta love this forum.:dunce:

When a driver moves over for a faster car , he is said to be not trying . When a driver doesn't move over for a faster driver , he is said to be trying too hard . You gotta love this forum.:dunce:

Yes, people do have a difference in opinions and on many subjects - surely that doesn't surprise anyone.

Circumstances, my boy. Ryan racing Logano hard for position at Pocono = good.
Ryan racing a win contender for nothing at all = bad.
Amazingly simple when you think about it.

I still don't feel that Ryan cost JJ the win, because Biffle was way faster. But Ryan did make himself look like a fool.

These things always have a way of evening out. Someone is gonna snap on someone soon. I think we'll see some fireworks at Richmond.
JR. punts KB in the fence,KB gets mad shoots bird on tv.......lool

Circumstances, my boy. Ryan racing Logano hard for position at Pocono = good.
Ryan racing a win contender for nothing at all = bad.
Amazingly simple when you think about it.

I still don't feel that Ryan cost JJ the win, because Biffle was way faster. But Ryan did make himself look like a fool.

I'm old school , racin tough is great racin .Nope ,didn't look like a fool to me.He looked like a hard nosed oldschool racer . Senior would have raced him hard too.

Watch JG when he shakes the monkey off his back and his teammates quit wrecking him.

So do I.

Remember when Stewart first came to Nascar? He and Gordon weren't exactly best friends and I'd love to see that rivalry renewed.

That was quite a show. How nascar ever thought that making the drivers be more proper and act like gentleman is beyond me. That's around the time the started with fines for being too passionate and using bad words. Can you imagine a driver being this candid today?

Jr talks to Playboy.

Michael Waltrip was asked about this on twitter.
@LewisFranck: @mw55 y r there so few wrecks this year compared to previous years
MW reply: I'm hearing because me and Robby Gordon aren't racing...

lol

Keselowski on the loss of rubbing is racing.

Blame boys have at it. Any rubbing now leads to permissible intentional wrecking.

Michael Waltrip was asked about this on twitter.
@LewisFranck: @mw55 y r there so few wrecks this year compared to previous years
MW reply: I'm hearing because me and Robby Gordon aren't racing...

lol

Blame boys have at it. Any rubbing now leads to permissible intentional wrecking.
Kes replys to that but not to my question about him eating a $10 sub instead of a $5 footlong because he wouldn't support Carl's sponser.

[quote="FenderBumper, post: 508183, member: ............................................................................................................................................................................................Keselowski on the loss of rubbing is racing.
Blame boys have at it. Any rubbing now leads to permissible intentional wrecking.[/quote]

Wow , that is an interesting statement right there . I think that is the most interesting take on boys have at it that I have seen .

Kes replys to that but not to my question about him eating a $10 sub instead of a $5 footlong because he wouldn't support Carl's sponser.

I can't stand Subway either. In order to get a decent meal, you need to double the portions and pay $10.

[EMAIL said:
ted@economy, post: 508219, member: 5037[/EMAIL]]
Wow , that is an interesting statement right there . I think that is the most interesting take on boys have at it that I have seen .

I've been saying it since Atlanta. NASCAR says have at it, and then stand by when a guy gets nearly killed for refusing to pull over for some dumbass who can't get his car going. Then Kez has THE dominate car at Gateway, but Carl keeps running into his line and squeezing him. Brad bumps him, and NASCAR says it's OK to turn him in front of the field coming to the flag.

It killed whatever rubbing there was left.

"Prisoner's Dilemma". Makes total sense to me

Johnson whining about being raced too hard...same old, same old.

Hmmmmm. I can't seem to remember the last time Johnson held a guy up when he was a lap down and on top of loosing another lap.

newman is just jealous that he doesn't have a quality ride like JJ ;).

I think there are a lot of guys like Newmann out there. Guys who pull out into the left lane, get beside somebody in the right lane, and just sit there.

newman was the Rookie of the Year when he and Johnson entered NASCAR. Me thinks Newman is a bit jealous since he fell off the darn planet for several years whilst JJ had several years of EXCELLENCE

What made nascar so great has been taken away and handcuffed the drivers. For me it was the competition and rivalry of who was the best or who had the fast car. Whether it was on main street on friday night car versus car run what you brung. Now they have taken it away from the drivers because of popularity contests like Kyle he was set down because the haters couldnt stand that he was kickin butt in all the series not because of dirty driving. Now he isnt running very many races it has become even more boring. I am using kyle as an example not because he is just one being censored. I feel nascar is just trying to out grow the perception of being a bunch of redneck wild untamed good ol boys and trying to pretty it up and make a business out of a competition. If dirty drivers hurt the sport it would have never lasted this long. Please just let them boys have at it and Kick the Tires and Light the Fires

What made nascar so great has been taken away and handcuffed the drivers. For me it was the competition and rivalry of who was the best or who had the fast car. Whether it was on main street on friday night car versus car run what you brung. Now they have taken it away from the drivers because of popularity contests like Kyle he was set down because the haters couldnt stand that he was kickin butt in all the series not because of dirty driving. Now he isnt running very many races it has become even more boring. I am using kyle as an example not because he is just one being censored. I feel nascar is just trying to out grow the perception of being a bunch of redneck wild untamed good ol boys and trying to pretty it up and make a business out of a competition. If dirty drivers hurt the sport it would have never lasted this long. Please just let them boys have at it and Kick the Tires and Light the Fires

Welcome ...Beachbum..great post . I agree wholeheartedly that so far this year Kyle doesn't look like the same driver . That is also true of Carl Edwards , Jeff Gordon and a few others . Nascar hasn't been censuring them for 'on track' incidents since 'boys have at it' but owners and sponsors sure have . Take a guy like Steven Wallace ...young ,brash,hothead , wreckin some sheet metal , not what owners and sponsors want to see right ? You might see him back in racing some day , but he will be a different driver if he makes it back. Watch him this weekend, see if he can control his temper .

Nascar hasn't been censuring them for 'on track' incidents since 'boys have at it' but owners and sponsors sure have .
I'm just curious. Do you think that this is wrong? And before you answer that, put yourself in the position of Mars Inc.

We all have differing opinions on this but personally I think that many times that the Boys Have At It was taken far to far. None more evident than Kyles actions against Hornaday and Edwards against Keselowski but I guess that's just my perceived line, not NASCAR's. I think NASCAR's sanctions against Kyle and Mars Inc's was appropriate but I never did agree on Edwards getting away with the things that he did.

Like you said though, NASCAR really hasn't been censuring them for on track incidents. I'm still thinking that it's the Chase more than anything that is affecting the on track actions and the current lack of Boys Have At It.

No ;there is nothing wrong with sponsors protecting their image . Sad how it has played out in the sport . It seems that ulitmately they are creating their own misfortune though . If Nascar loses fans because of lack of rowdyness ,Mars loses too. And , like you said , Nascar went too far in not penalizing those incidents , but , did they really have a choice ? IMO they were trying to make a statement and couldn't back down . You gotta admire their resolve . Then you have owners who are furious with drivers who tear up sheet metal . In a poor economy , with sponsorship dollars hard to find , you can't have a driver beatin and bangin up race cars. Every time the guy comes to a meeting , the boss says 'What were you thinking ?' . Again ,is the owner killing the golden goose ?

I get what you're saying about the $'s for the torn up race cars but I'm still thinking that the retaliation thing looms in the minds of the drivers. The sport now has such a heavy emphasis on the all important, made for television drama, Chase format. These drivers are learning the ramification of their actions. Payback means more than ever these days. They have a virtual 'free pass' for retaliation against a competitor that has done them wrong and that works both ways. It's kind of a do unto others approach to racing these days. Yes, I can plow that guy into the wall here @ Richmond but what happens when I get to that Chase race @ Louden? Is that when the payback will occur? Things can have BIG consequences later on when it matters the most.

Right you are again DP . Don't know how to change it though. Here's another issue . Are we fans partly to blame . When a new brash young driver comes along , beatin and bangin , tearing up race cars , etc. ? Do we encourage him to become a Rowdy Busch or get on his case and try to make him into Gentleman Ned Jarrett .? I' ll be watching Steven Wallace this weekend to see if he takes a single risk with his racecar . Swears over the radio or makes a misstep of any kind . If he doesn't do any of these things , who wins ?

The Steven Wallace case doesn't work for me, his problem is not flair, it is a lack of driving talent.

He just don't has any, big period.

The Steven Wallace case doesn't work for me, his problem is not flair, it is a lack of driving talent.

He just don't has any, big period.

Couldn't think of another driver to compare , but he's still going to be interesting to watch.

Back
Top Bottom