Spencer Gallagher reinstated by NASCAR

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Good news

GMS Racing announced Gallagher will return to the No. 23 Chevrolet next weekend at Kentucky Speedway.

“The whole GMS organization is very proud of Spencer (Gallagher) for getting reinstated after completing NASCAR’s Road to Recovery program after the results we received post-Talladega,” GMS Racing president Mike Beam said in a release. “Spencer will return to the No. 23 at Kentucky Speedway and then again after our agreed contracts are fulfilled.”

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/07/04/nascar-reinstates-spencer-gallagher/

Good news, lets hope he doesnt screw up again.

We celebrate Gallagher instead of celebrating the drivers who never touch the stuff. NASCAR fans throw beer cans at them....because they are actually racing.....because they never did the stuff. I think that a driver should be banned for life from the sport for that bull****. I really do.

We celebrate Gallagher instead of celebrating the drivers who never touch the stuff.
I agree with this statement 100% I don't know that anybody is celebrating SG, but our society seems to fawn over people that have fallen and rebounded more than we ever celebrate people that have never fallen. I guess that's why I have always had a hard time with the prodigal son story in the bible.

NASCAR fans throw beer cans at them....because they are actually racing.....because they never did the stuff.
I will not condone anyone throwing anything at a race track ever. That being said, the reason the fans give a certain driver a hard time is because they don't like him. Free country, like or dislike whomever you want. It just goes with the territory, just ask Jeff Gordon. The fact that the driver in question acts like a perpetual ass-bag much of the time only encourages the fan base to hate him all the more.
I think that a driver should be banned for life from the sport for that bull****. I really do.
You won't find a more law and order tough love guy than me, but in the case of non-lethal crimes, I think everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves. I think a lifetime ban for a first offense is a little on the harsh side. I DO however feel the suspension was a little on the short side, and if he were to screw up again, I wouldn't have any problem with a lifetime ban.

Gallagher didn't run his mouth or go into denial or sue mode like Methfield did. He kept his mouth shut and did his time. BTW Almendinger did the same thing.

"I want to assure everyone in the NASCAR community this one-time error in judgment will never happen again," Gallagher said in a statement May 2.

Gallagher is the son of team owner Maurice Gallagher, majority owner and CEO of Allegiant Airlines.

"I would like to say that I am sorry to all of the GMS organization for my actions, especially my team and team owner, who have worked so hard this year and have put faith in me," Spencer Gallagher said May 2.

"I also want to apologize to NASCAR, Chevrolet and my fans for letting them down. I have not upheld the behavior that is expected of me. I promise you all here and now, I will do whatever it takes to make this right."

We celebrate Gallagher instead of celebrating the drivers who never touch the stuff. NASCAR fans throw beer cans at them....because they are actually racing.....because they never did the stuff. I think that a driver should be banned for life from the sport for that bull****. I really do.
You make a valid point, for me, its not celebrating what he did, but celebrating that he got his **** together, and is going to move forward with his life hopefully learning a valuable lesson.

I agree with your first point. I disagree with your position on banning them for life. People, all of us, make mistakes and depending on the mistake there may be a debt to pay to society. It might be a road to recovery program, jail time or public service. When I worked in management I found that some of my best employees were previously written off by others. They were very grateful for that second chance. It didn't always work out, but it did more times than not.

I thought all possible angles of this were covered back at the time of the suspension, including much speculation (and damnation) without any information about the nature of the violation, since all relevant parties agreed to handle the matter privately.

However, how this relates to the victimization of Kyle Busch was missed last time.

Good for him. The objective ought to be pretty straight forward. Spencer needs to keep his nose clean, stay out of trouble, and who knows, Spencer could make the playoffs yet. He surprised us in making it to Victory Lane in an Xfinity car. Now that he is back, it doesn't seem likely that Talladega will be the sight of his currently sole victory.

Good for him. The objective ought to be pretty straight forward. Spencer needs to keep his nose clean, stay out of trouble, and who knows, Spencer could make the playoffs yet. He surprised us in making it to Victory Lane in an Xfinity car. Now that he is back, it doesn't seem likely that Talladega will be the sight of his currently sole victory.
FWIW - he won't be getting a waiver for the playoffs. The owner's championship, however unlikely, isn't out of the question though.

NASCAR fans will through beer cans at any and everyone, regardless of substance abuse history or the lack thereof.
I have only seen them throw beer at Jeff Gordon ....... which is totally understandable
At the very least Young Gallagher has learned how to better time his edibles consumption. Nobody's hurt.
Whatever happened to having a few beers after winning a race ?

yep, after his layoff it is possible he comes back racing more focused with a different outlook

Guy took a puf of weed, seriously, who cares? The fact he was reinstated so quickly shows it was nothing serious. Kid has improved a lot this season and win a race, I wish him the best.

Guy took a puf of weed, seriously, who cares? The fact he was reinstated so quickly shows it was nothing serious. Kid has improved a lot this season and win a race, I wish him the best.
I am still amazed. The kid took a virginal puff and Nascar got him. People need to know that the Nascar Tech system is very perceptive.

When was it ever confirmed or even unofficially reported that the substance was marijuana or anything else? I ask as someone who can't stand the knee-jerk moralizing and grandstanding.

This was never a big deal. Good for him.

First off, since we do not know what the prohibited substance was, it's hard to say whether it's a big deal or not, especially since I don't buy the "only time I've ever done it" argument. I haven't believed anyone else that tried that excuse either. The odds against it going down that way are astronomical. I have had family connections to law enforcement and the alcohol business my whole life, and I'd venture to say that 90 +% of the people that get popped for drunk driving have done it on multiple occasions, not just once. As for weed being legal in all 50 states, that has NOTHING to do with it not being a prohibited substance in NASCAR or any other sport or profession. On an editorial note, I will say that even though, (or perhaps because) I have grown up around the alcohol business, I have frankly grown weary of people that can't seem to function in everyday life without self medicating. Whether one does it for enjoyment or out of perceived need, it still equals a big expensive waste of time with potential life altering consequences. I had a mother of six tell me one night a couple of years ago that she smokes pot because it helps her deal with her children. I found that profoundly sad. I was never a BIG alcohol user, but almost 18 years ago I decided that getting drunk was just plain stupid, and I haven't looked back. It's really no more difficult than just saying no, especially if you say no from day one. It's just like tobacco. The easiest way to quit is to never start in the first place.

FWIW - he won't be getting a waiver for the playoffs. The owner's championship, however unlikely, isn't out of the question though.
I'm aware. :) Have you checked the standings? The top 12 makes the playoffs. He is not far behind - amazingly so, considering how much he has missed.

First off, since we do not know what the prohibited substance was, it's hard to say whether it's a big deal or not, especially since I don't buy the "only time I've ever done it" argument. I haven't believed anyone else that tried that excuse either. The odds against it going down that way are astronomical.
that there is a first time for everything. Yes, every one who ever took a drink did it for the first time. Ever time someone took a puff off a joint did it for the first time. Every non-virgin did it for the first time?
The difference is the the circumstances under which they committed these acts. I can tell you innocent people can be victims of some pretty stupid pranks.

It's unlikely legalization will have any effect on NASCAR regulations, or the rules of any other workplace. Alcohol is legal but your workplace can still fire you for showing up drunk.

You do realize, that once you get down off your preaching platform, that there is a first time for everything. Yes, every one who ever took a drink did it for the first time. Ever time someone took a puff off a joint did it for the first time. Every non-virgin did it for the first time?
The difference is the the circumstances under which they committed these acts. I can tell you innocent people can be victims of some pretty stupid pranks.
It is good to know you come from a very high moral family in which none have done wrong.

Yes, I DO realize there is a first time for LOTS of things, but I also know that the odds of taking an illegal substance for the first and only time and then getting snagged by a "random" drug test are VERY low. I work every day with truck drivers who are subject to "random" drug tests because of their CDL licenses and most of the people I know who have been busted was because it was already known or strongly suspected that they were using illegal substances. I'm not coming from some high horse either. I'm trying to offer some simple advice and try to discourage people from making the same dumbass mistakes I made, and the mistakes I have seen others close to me make. I started drinking alcohol at age 15 age and I'm extremely lucky I didn't end up dead. I knew some people that weren't so lucky. I also knew that it was a bad idea the whole time I was doing it, and it was a conscious choice I made to be stupid. Fortunately, I was never enticed by drugs. I don't even like taking too many Excedrin. All I'm saying is alcohol and drugs, including pot are a pointless waste of time and it's not that hard to just decide NOT to be a part of that world, regardless of the fact that so much of the world seems to be enamored with spending time in an altered state of conciseness.

that there is a first time for everything. Yes, every one who ever took a drink did it for the first time. Ever time someone took a puff off a joint did it for the first time. Every non-virgin did it for the first time?

He originally said it was a one time offense only.

The title "Road to Recovery" romanticizes all of it, and I hate it. If the guy "only puffed once" then he has nothing to recover from. Guys that get over this **** through a program are not our role models. Guys who never go into this **** are. My opinion.

The fumes at the track just aren't strong enough for some

I'm aware. :) Have you checked the standings? The top 12 makes the playoffs. He is not far behind - amazingly so, considering how much he has missed.

No, he's right. To be playoffs-eligible, a driver has to compete in every event unless granted a waiver. He won't be granted a waiver. He could have missed one race, been first in the standings, and without a waiver, no playoffs. That's how the rules are written.

FWIW, that reality constitutes a greater 'punishment' than just the races he was suspended from.

No, he's right. To be playoffs-eligible, a driver has to compete in every event unless granted a waiver. He won't be granted a waiver. He could have missed one race, been first in the standings, and without a waiver, no playoffs. That's how the rules are written.

FWIW, that reality constitutes a greater 'punishment' than just the races he was suspended from.
Gotcha. :)

It does open up a really good opportunity for discussion if Gallagher gets a couple more wins.

Back
Top Bottom