Sports TV ratings, etc. Random sports talk

Discussion in 'Sports and Entertainment Center' started by ToyYoda, Nov 7, 2017.

1. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I post to show that almost all sporting events that I know of are losing fans. I have no idea why they are but it is what it is. The author below seems to think he has the answers,.

70 million is a 15 year low.
    That’s not good for MLB either. Attendance dropped by 4 percent this season, falling below 70 million for the first time since 2003

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ce-length-games-spell-trouble-mlb/1592862002/

2. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Car Chief

I know one sport that would kill for a 4% loss of interest each year. The question isn’t who is losing but at what rate.

Regarding interest in most sports being down this is what I found in about 2 minutes.

Yearly NFL attendance was 17.33 million in 2008 and 17.26 in 2017

NFL TV ratings dropped from 2010 to 2017 but apparently are up this year.

NBA attendance has broken records for 4 consecutive years and viewership is up 8% this year.

Obviously the above just scrapes the surface but I think it shows that in terms of fans the NBA and NFL are not hurting.

IDK what NASCAR’s numbers are for the last 5-10 years but I suspect they have dropped a lot more than the NBA or NFL

3. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

4. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Add it to the list. FOX has already dissolved partnerships with IMSA and the WEC this year as well.

gnomesayin and LewTheShoe like this.
  5. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

I'd be surprised if Fox renews with NASCAR at this rate. They're looking like ESPN did a few years ago, dropping motorsports left and right.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the next contract was either ESPN and NBC or just ESPN.

6. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

7. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/11/monday-night-football-ratings-chiefs-rams/

Check out those monster local ratings in KC as well, and the high local numbers in rival NFL markets for both teams.