Sports TV ratings, etc. Random sports talk

Might as well. If you aren't a Cowboys fan and you don't live in your favorite team's market, you don't get to see them.

I'm waiting for the primetime schedules to come out to decide whether to keep it or cancel it. Unfortunately, you can't get RedZone without Sunday Ticket.

I suspect they'll find a way to not air Jacksonville in primetime again though and Sunday Ticket will be the only way I can watch the games.

Mulvihill also goes on to state that those mult-sports networks are holding up better than single sport networks (NFL Network, NBA Network, etc.) in terms of subscriber numbers, seemingly because the new " vMVPD" services like Sling, Youtube TV, etc. are more likely to carry the former and not the latter.

Not a peep about the TV deal the NBA received in 2014 for a series that draws the numbers they do
upload_2018-2-27_19-18-33.png

Not a peep about the TV deal the NBA received in 2014 for a series that draws the numbers they do
View attachment 33702

If you followed the sports business media at the time, there was much discussion about whether those networks had overpaid for NBA rights or not. With the ratings surge this season, around 15% for the national games on ESPN/ABC and TNT, and the younger demographics the NBA attracts, it is looking more like those networks are happy with their investment.

There are also many ways in which Fox and NBC can be said to be happy with NASCAR rights as they have built their sports networks with them. This doesn't have to be a binary discussion of the NBA vs. NASCAR. That becomes odd at some point. While both are professional sports entities with large TV contracts, they don't have that much in common.

"Is the NBA Worth All That TV Money" http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/04/nba-tv-deal-billions-espn-turner-ratings-layoffs/

"Threat of Fox Sports Helped Push NBA Rights Costs Up For ESPN" http://thebiglead.com/2017/05/01/threat-of-fox-sports-helped-push-nba-rights-costs-up-for-espn/

"Just Admit The NBA Deal Is Screwing You, ESPN" https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...screwing-you-espn_us_58d98250e4b0e6062d92300f

"The NBA TV Contract Is More Evidence of a Bubble" https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/the-nba-tv-contract-isn-t-sustainable-070616/

"“It’s been a total mismanagement of rights fees, starting with the NFL renewal,” said one former employee. “We overpaid significantly when it did not need to be that way, and it set the template to overpay for MLB and the NBA.” https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/10/26/Media/ESPN.aspx

"What The NBA's Insane New TV Deal Means For The League And For You" https://deadspin.com/what-the-nbas-insane-new-tv-deal-means-for-the-league-a-1642926274

"ESPN's Huge Sports Contracts Are Killing Its Profits" https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/05/14/espns-huge-sports-contracts-are-killing-its-profit.aspx

I could keep going and fill pages, but you just weren't looking for the stories on other sports, because I thought you weren't much of a stick-and-ball sports guy?

I don't care if they over paid or not, it was what they paid for a product that frankly compared to Football which is a bit more at a whole 3 billion has a huge viewership difference. The Nascar number in comparison is a drop in the bucket and draws good numbers for their product.

I don't care if they over paid or not, it was what they paid for a product that frankly compared to Football which is a bit more at a whole 3 billion has a huge viewership difference. The Nascar number in comparison is a drop in the bucket and draws good numbers for their product.

You are seemingly neglecting to realize how many dates and hours of programming a NASCAR season amounts to vs. the NBA season. Many other factors too, but that's a start.

The scoop on why the NBA is seen as so valuable in TV terms is because by far the hardest audience for TV networks to attract is 18-34 year-old males, and to a lesser extent, 18-49. They covet that audience more than any other, and it isn't close. The NBA audience is the youngest of major sports. That and the ESPN / Fox bidding rivalry is why they were paid such a premium.

I don't care if they over paid or not, it was what they paid for a product that frankly compared to Football which is a bit more at a whole 3 billion has a huge viewership difference.
The NFL stands to bring in $5.6B annually in TV revenue starting in 2018 while the NBA will see ~$2.7B annually. The contract lengths make it seem closer, but they're still substantially different on a per-year basis.

MLB - $1.55B anually
NASCAR - $820M annually
NHL - $200M annually (seems like a bargain here)

In 2017, the NBA posted five of the top eleven most-watched non-NFL sporting events on TV. Eight of the top fifty. They kill it in the key demos. Well over 100 games per season for both ESPN/ABC and TNT. It's not unreasonable for them to rake in the TV money that they do now.

The only sports that have that kind of presence are college football (sixteen of the top fifty) and college basketball (eleven of the top fifty), and college sports obviously brings in tons of TV revenue as well through the various individual conferences, CFP, bowl games, and NCAA Tournament.

MLB also had eleven of the top fifty, but they don't do as strongly in preferred demographics.

I don't know what some of you are smoking. Despite falling ratings, I can't see the math. I have inserted the link below. Without something like that, I tend to think it as hearsay.

According to Nielsen live-plus-same-day data, NFL games accounted for 37 of the year's top 50 broadcasts, or nearly three-quarters (74 percent) of the most-watched programs on TV. That marked a 32 percent increase compared to 2016, when the NFL laid claim to 28 of the top 50 most-watched programs, and was flat versus the 37 top airings the league chalked up in the previous year.

http://adage.com/article/media/ratings-slum/311777/

I don't know what some of you are smoking. Despite falling ratings, I can't see the math. I have inserted the link below. Without something like that, I tend to think it as hearsay.

According to Nielsen live-plus-same-day data, NFL games accounted for 37 of the year's top 50 broadcasts, or nearly three-quarters (74 percent) of the most-watched programs on TV. That marked a 32 percent increase compared to 2016, when the NFL laid claim to 28 of the top 50 most-watched programs, and was flat versus the 37 top airings the league chalked up in the previous year.

http://adage.com/article/media/ratings-slum/311777/
NFL excluded. Obviously, if you include the NFL it's hard to compare anything else, especially if it's every even year when the Olympics are in there too.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/01/top-sports-audiences-2017-nfl/#nonnfl

College football heads in wrong direction with largest attendance drop in 34 years
Major-college football experienced its largest per-game attendance drop in 34 years and second-largest ever, according to recently released NCAA figures.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ion-with-largest-attendance-drop-in-34-years/
Fewer weeknight games, fewer neutral site games (these are just the worst), and games that no longer go 3.5 hours on average would go a long way towards changing this.

But, college football is mostly a made-for-TV product anymore so I'm skeptical anything will happen.

Mixed Winter Olympics for NBC. Primetime coverage (including NBCSN and streaming this year) lowest on record for an Olympic Games, 400K shy of Torino 2006.

But, NBC was the #1-rated network 18 of 18 nights, NBCSN had its most-watched month ever and should finish as the #1 cable sports network for the month, and late-night viewership was the best it's been for a Winter Games since 1988.

It was also the fourth straight Olympics in which NBC made a profit, and $920+M in national ad sales is a Winter Olympics record.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...-robust-winter-games-presentation-in-history/

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ic-winter-games-from-pyeongchang-south-korea/

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/02/winter-olympics-tv-ratings-record-low/

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/02/olympic-mens-hockey-ratings-curling-nbcsn/

glad they made some money, but once again sports TV rating viewership is trending downward

View attachment 33710
It's hard to call it a trend when two of the prior three Games rank in the top half of that list.

Not a good primetime showing (for a variety of reasons, IMO), but late night was enough to push it ahead of Sochi 2014 and Torino 2006 and just within reach of Nagano 1998.

Whether on NBC alone or across platforms, this year’s Olympics ranks as the lowest rated and least-watched ever in primetime. The previous lows were a 12.2 (2006 and 2014) and 20.2 million (2006). The three lowest rated and least-watched Olympics have come in the past four Winter Games.
For the first time since 2006, no night of the Olympics averaged 30 million viewers. In fact, no single quarter-hour cracked the 30 million mark, with viewership peaking at 29.7 million from 9:45-10 PM ET on February 11.

Whether on NBC alone or across platforms, this year’s Olympics ranks as the lowest rated and least-watched ever in primetime. The previous lows were a 12.2 (2006 and 2014) and 20.2 million (2006). The three lowest rated and least-watched Olympics have come in the past four Winter Games.
For the first time since 2006, no night of the Olympics averaged 30 million viewers. In fact, no single quarter-hour cracked the 30 million mark, with viewership peaking at 29.7 million from 9:45-10 PM ET on February 11.
But, London 2012 and Rio 2016 fared very well, and are very recent.

And these are the late-night figures from the links above. Included, PyeongChang 2018 beats Sochi 2014 and Torino 2006.

Winter Olympics Late Night Show Viewership
2018 PyeongChang- 8.4 million*
2014 Sochi- 5.6 million
2010 Vancouver- 4.8 million
2006 Torino- 5.0 million
2002 Salt Lake- 6.7 million
1998 Nagano- 3.5 million
1994 Lillehammer- 6.2 million
1992 Albertville- 8.0 million
1988 Calgary- 9.9 million

. My point again is overall sports in general are trending down, along with TV viewership overall doing the same. NBC can spin the heck out of it but the facts are the facts

2018 PyeongChang Games are the least-watched Olympics ever

NBC is spinning the 2018 Winter Olympics as the most dominant ever in primetime, but when you look inside the numbers, they show these Olympics as the least-watched Games in U.S. television history. Despite plenty of live figure skating and alpine skiing, NBC’s primetime coverage averaged a 10.1 rating and 17.8 million viewers.

http://awfulannouncing.com/olympics/2018-pyeongchang-games-least-watched-olympics-ever.html

I think one thing that is really easy to overlook with Nascar Cup ratings and attendance is that Nascar goes 36 times a year but most stick and ball sports play hundreds or thousands of games each year. The Daytona 500 is a really well attended race with about 100,000 fans but 2 LA Dodgers home games are going to attract about 90,000 fans and the Dodgers play 81 home games and yearly attendance is close to 4 million or over twice what Nascar would draw in an entire year. That is one stinking team!

Ratings are important but it is easy to forget that the age, income and education levels of those watching are just as important and maybe even more.

From a man on the street point of view Nascar looks a lot different. How many arenas and stadiums have removed seats at the same level as Nascar? Does the NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB have considerably less money coming in? Do promising rookies in stick and ball leagues get more then 500,000 a year in salary?

Nascar is fine on its own being its own animal. Motorsports have declined in interest for a while now and there are many theories as to why but who cares? If Indy Car can carry on then how much more can Nascar? Turn the tube on on Sunday and enjoy the roar of the engines as there is no need to become aggressive or defensive with respect to Nascar today cuz it is fine and will continue to be fine as more adjustments are made.

. My point again is overall sports in general are trending down, along with TV viewership overall doing the same. NBC can spin the heck out of it but the facts are the facts

2018 PyeongChang Games are the least-watched Olympics ever

NBC is spinning the 2018 Winter Olympics as the most dominant ever in primetime, but when you look inside the numbers, they show these Olympics as the least-watched Games in U.S. television history. Despite plenty of live figure skating and alpine skiing, NBC’s primetime coverage averaged a 10.1 rating and 17.8 million viewers.

http://awfulannouncing.com/olympics/2018-pyeongchang-games-least-watched-olympics-ever.html
Least-watched ever is a very poor blanket term. If you take time to read, late night coverage helps boost it past previous editions of the Olympics. Considering much of primetime was taped unless it was figure skating, alpine skiing, or snowboarding that's not too surprising. Late night was mostly live stuff and it was the second-best late night Winter Olympics ever. As NBC continues to put more hours of programming across NBCSN, USA, and CNBC it's only natural that some of NBC's viewership will be spread thinner across the various time slots and networks.

. My point again is overall sports in general are trending down, along with TV viewership overall doing the same.

Yes, general television viewership for individual programs has been trending downward massively for multiple decades, accelerating in the last one. General live sports have been trending downward, but at significantly lower rates. This fact makes sports more important to TV networks and advertisers than they ever have been, because that type of content is holding up better than almost anything else.

OK. If your position is that TV sports ratings and financing of stadiums belong together, I guess we're stuck with it because of shoddy thread titling. I doubt TRL has time to look in here anyway.

My real point is that discussion would be more fulfilling among posters who are genuinely interested in the subject. I get that there was one poster here who angered several other posters by constantly trashing NASCAR's prospects. I don't think we benefit from the flip side of the coin, the poster who is fixated on talking down all other sports on behalf of NASCAR.

got 12 pages on Monster deathbed, yeah right. pages of falling ratings, attendance, car counters, seat counters. But don't mention any of it here? BTW there hasn't been a bunch of made up **** and snarky comments, except by the poster that makes them. the one that doesn't know who he is.

You're doing the same thing you hate. That's the gist of it.
I don't quite follow you. There will be more specific numbers within a day that will tell more about the audiences. I'm interested in the demographic comparison as well.

What I know is that I enjoy the subject of ratings and the business side of racing, but how many people watch doesn't validate or invalidate the product itself for me. I love watching dirt late models race on CBS Sports and MAVTV and motocross races that truly do pull in a "point of nothing" in terms of viewership.

It says here that you enjoy the business side of racing along with the ratings. But you have a problem with me posting the same here about the various other sports venues. BTW tax payer funding problems being raised in Congress I would think would be of a concern specifically to franchises who might have to show a profit in the days to come.

You skip past anything that doesn't support your agenda at the time. Such as my stated 100% agreement on the topic of public financing and offer to start a thread about it. It is a different, scarcely related subject to sports TV ratings. If your claims get refuted, you wildly pivot to something else rather than engaging.

Forget it. Keep on fighting the good fight. Your coverage of racing news is excellent, and I often learn stuff reading your posts.

The Tiger Woods effect is still huge for golf and the PGA.

https://www.sbnation.com/golf/2018/...ct-tv-ratings-odds-ticket-prices-masters-2018

Tiger Woods, as even his harshest critics must concede, brings fans to the course, puts fannies in recliners, and causes gamblers to lose their minds.

And when he’s in contention, as he was at last week’s Honda Classic until the Bear Trap snared him in Sunday’s finale, you can almost hear TV executives giggling with glee, oddsmakers raking in bets on Woods’ chances at the Masters, and badge purveyors counting the cash as ticket prices for that Augusta event in April soar.

TV ratings skyrocket

CBS could not have asked for a better year for the event’s traditional telecaster, NBC, to cover the Olympics. With Woods in the hunt for all four rounds, the network enjoyed its highest viewership and ratings in five years.

Jim Nantz, the voice of the Masters, called the shots over the weekend, as Sunday’s final-round coverage averaged four million viewers — up 43 percent from last year. That number made the Honda Classic finale CBS’ most-watched in six years.

CBS was not the only beneficiary of the Woods Effect. Golf Channel’s final-round lead-in coverage of the Honda averaged a whopping 1.6 million TV watchers to become GC’s most-watched pre-broadcast since the 2013 Farmers Insurance Open (which Woods won), and the fourth-most watched GC lead-in telecast on record (from 2008-2018).

In addition, despite several athletic competitions vying for eyeballs, sports enthusiasts made Golf Channel the No. 1 cable sports network from 1 p.m.-3:15 p.m. ET by 103 percent. And that’s while other networks aired NASCAR, the Winter Olympics, and the NBA.

Such numbers would have come as no surprise to the winner of the event, who acknowledged that, while he had a few spectators following him, the guy who came in 12th was the main attraction. Indeed, even before the Honda began, Golf Channel estimated attendance was up 25 percent, thanks to Woods.

“It was a good gallery, a good crowd, but it wasn’t obviously anything big. It wasn’t anything remotely close to Tiger’s,” Justin Thomas said Sunday after defeating Luke List in a playoff. “But he fully deserves that and he is the needle. He moves the needle.

“He’s the reason probably why the attendance was as high as it was,” Thomas added. “They weren’t coming out here to watch Luke List and Justin Thomas. They were coming out here to watch Tiger, so I don’t blame them. I’d go watch him, too, instead of me.”

Is there a precedent for a major sports rights fee decreasing from one contract to the next? I'm sure it will happen at some point, but I doubt it will be during the next cycle. This is a profitable enterprise with more players looking to enter (Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc.) Even in limited spaces where it is not, the networks successfully use live sports as a tool to promote their other programming.
I don't know how it'll affect things overall, but I'd be surprised if the NFL's MNF package doesn't go for less next time. The biggest deal for the worst package.

You are mean and make fun of Nascar so I will be mean and make fun of other sports. Because you are mean and make fun of Nascar I have earned the right to use straw man arguments and ignore what doesn't suit what I want to put forth. I do the very thing I claim to dislike in others. Its all good because forums are for entertainment but not all people are entertained by the same thing. This place entertains me.

I don't know how it'll affect things overall, but I'd be surprised if the NFL's MNF package doesn't go for less next time. The biggest deal for the worst package.

It makes sense that the MNF package could go for less but any losses incurred would likely be vaporized by the Thursday night deal in my opinion. When the NFL schedule was concentrated sans bye weeks and games only on Sunday afternoons and Monday nights you could see some great match ups. Now you might see Chicago and Seattle on Thursday and and Tampa and Miami on Monday night and those are not exactly what I consider primetime games.

I guess you can start a stick n ball death bed thread

No sense in starting a stick and ball death bed thread as the 4 major leagues are doing well. The NHL Vegas Golden Knights just paid 500 million for an NHL franchise and Seattle will pay at least 650 million. The NFL is doing well and the Houston Rockets just sold for 2.2 billion so the NBA sounds like it is doing OK.

Streaming results modest despite lofty expectations
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2018/03/05/Olympics/Olympic-ratings.aspx

The South Korean Games were supposed to be the streaming Olympics. Given the 14-hour time difference between Pyeongchang and the East Coast, a record number of Americans were expected to watch the Games digitally rather than on traditional television sets.

Streaming content still may have its day — it probably will. But for now, television remains the dominant platform, and it’s not even close. NBC’s results over 2 1/2 weeks demonstrated just how powerful television’s reach remains. NBC and its cable channels accounted for more than 98 percent of all viewing during the event even though NBC streamed every single event and made replays available on demand.

NBC’s streaming numbers bottomed out during the closing ceremony with 63,000 streams on a per-minute basis — a number that was so low it could not be counted as part of NBC’s Total Audience Delivery (TAD) measurement.

The percentage of viewers watching the Olympics digitally is in line with what other TV networks are seeing in other sports. But expectations going into South Korea were that streams would take off, in large part because of the time difference. Expectations were so great that NBC set up the TAD measurement that counted digital viewers the same way it counted linear TV numbers, and the network’s ad sales group developed ratings guarantees based off that number.

The number of streams did not disappoint NBC executives; they were within an industry average. Some streams did particularly well, such as the U.S.-Canada women’s hockey gold-medal match, which ranks as NBC Sports Digital’s fifth-largest hockey audience, trailing only four matches from Sochi.

But NBC’s overall ratings performance from Pyeongchang hammered home just how small the digital streaming audience really is.

“In comparison to television, it’s still relatively small,” said Mark Lazarus, chairman of NBC Broadcasting and Sports. “When you have things that are on both television and streamable, it’s still a TV linear-dominant medium. That’s not just for us. That’s for everybody.”

In fact, Lazarus cited internal NBC research that showed that most streaming during the Olympics was done via connected TVs. That means that even most of the streamers were watching the Olympics in a conventional television setting.

“They were watching it on something that was hanging on their wall — through a streaming device — which we obviously are fine with,” Lazarus said.

In fact, the biggest gainer during the Winter Olympics was NBCSN, a channel that, like others, has been negatively affected by cord cutters. For the first time, NBC scheduled live prime-time programming on NBCSN, which helped not only the channel’s ratings (it will be the highest-rated month in NBCSN’s history) but also its distribution. NBCSN added 650,000 homes heading into March, tops among all cable sports networks.

“Certainly the broadcast network was far more dominant, but we got a nice bump for NBCSN,” Lazarus said.

Overall, NBC’s viewership was down from Sochi four years ago. But several media executives and ad buyers contacted for this story were effusive about the Olympics’ viewership — especially considering the downward ratings trends that are affecting all parts of the television business.

Here are three main takeaways from the Olympics:

The Olympics dominate prime time.

The Olympics have been the top-rated show for 74 consecutive Olympic nights. It has won 438 consecutive half hours in prime time. Not since episodes of “American Idol,” shown during the Vancouver Olympics, has any program even come close to matching an Olympic rating.

Looking at just the NBC-only average in prime time over 18 nights, the network’s viewership was 82 percent ahead of the combined rating from its broadcast TV competition (ABC+CBS+Fox). Compare that to the gap from Sochi, which was 43 percent. Eight years ago, the Vancouver Olympic ratings were only 9 percent higher than NBC’s broadcast competitors.

“It is still the biggest event in the media landscape,” Lazarus said. “It is a huge multi-generational viewing party. It will be the No. 1 TV show of the year. Truly, the spirit of the Olympics transfers through to television.”

Olympics are faring better than TV.

Viewers consumed 104.8 billion minutes of Olympic programming across four networks from South Korea, down 6 percent from Sochi, when 111.8 billion minutes were consumed across five networks.

In South Korea, 74.99 billion minutes were consumed on NBC, 27.67 billion minutes on NBCSN, 1.68 billion on CNBC and 503 million on USA Network.

“If you could sign up for a 6 percent audience decline over four years, you’d do it in a heartbeat,” said a rival network executive.

Out-of-home boost is not as big as thought.

NBC still was crunching its out-of-home viewing numbers at deadline. But the Games looked to provide about a 3-4 percent lift across all its dayparts. By comparison, NFL games have seen a lift of anywhere between 5 and 9 percent.

“I thought it might be a touch higher,” Lazarus said. “You’re talking about midweek in the winter — a work week — it’s a time when people are home, not necessarily out and about in great numbers. It’s a little higher on the weekends than they were during the week.”

sHLLoq0.png

AEpAD65.png

Back
Top Bottom