Sports TV ratings, etc. Random sports talk

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/tv-ratings-ncaa-1202728915/

Looks like things are not all lost with college hoops

Airing across primetime, the tournament averaged 4.98 million total viewers, according to Nielsen final live-plus-same day numbers. That’s up 11% from last year’s 4.47 million the comparable night.

Across all linear and digital platforms, including TBS, CBS, TNT, truTV and NCAA March Madness Live, tournament coverage averaged 8.6 million viewers, according to CBS Sport, up from 8.2 million last year.

Woods taking a dive going into the weekend. The rest of the televised sports world get a reprieve.

He managed to get himself back in the hunt with excellent rounds yesterday and today. Almost all the way back to the front, then made a bad mistake on the 16th hole.

It will be interesting to see how the various numbers come out for today with all of the competition.

Tiger needs to retire the red and black, it doesn't intimidate anyone when you choke in the last 4 holes.

He managed to get himself back in the hunt with excellent rounds yesterday and today. Almost all the way back to the front, then made a bad mistake on the 16th hole.

It will be interesting to see how the various numbers come out for today with all of the competition.
Tough. Bay Hill has been intriguing today, Syracuse/MSU was close, and there's probably not another college basketball fan base that has more NASCAR followers than UNC.

I wonder if the ratings will spike because of channel flippers. I was bouncing back and forth all day between the basketball, racing and golf

I know when I looked at purchasing seats for Thursday & Saturday in Pittsburgh, seats are purchased for the Thursday or Saturday block of games. Meaning, not just for a specific game. It's quite possible that fans left after the game they were there for was complete or didn't show up until just before their scheduled tip off. Those empty seats can't be repurchased as the exiting or late entering ticket holder is still holding a ticket for that empty seat. Difficult to realistically compare a empty seat at a March Madness venue to a NASCAR race. I can tell you that the Pittsburgh venue was sold out. I imagine the same was true for the other participating venues.

DXug8dTXkAEVHSU.jpg

March Madness is not exactly taking hold in DC for the opening game of the A10 Tourney. #UMass

View attachment 33971

Early minutes of Alabama vs Villanova in Pittsburgh:idunno:
I'm not sure if you read what I had said earlier about the ticket blocks or not? I am here in the Pittsburgh market. Last week, I went to purchase tickets for Thursday/Saturday for my wife & I. The ticket office was sold out. I don't know if scalpers/ticket services got stuck with seats or not. They were charging exorbitant prices for their seats. An amount that I was not going to spend.

Tickets weren't purchased for individual games. They were for the block of games on those days. No need to further repeat myself but if someone wasn't interested in a particular match-up, they may not be there.

I can only comment on what I actually know as fact as opposed to trying to make a point with pictures that don't really tell the story.

I imagine the same was true for the other participating venues. Is what you said also. I have a hard time believing from the first picture in the series that scalpers? bought all of those empty seats or the venue below

I know when I looked at purchasing seats for Thursday & Saturday in Pittsburgh, seats are purchased for the Thursday or Saturday block of games. Meaning, not just for a specific game. It's quite possible that fans left after the game they were there for was complete or didn't show up until just before their scheduled tip off. Those empty seats can't be repurchased as the exiting or late entering ticket holder is still holding a ticket for that empty seat. Difficult to realistically compare a empty seat at a March Madness venue to a NASCAR race. I can tell you that the Pittsburgh venue was sold out. I imagine the same was true for the other participating venues.
I try to go whenever it's in Jacksonville, Tampa, or Orlando and what you described is what I've often experienced. Last year UF was in the late game in session 1 and FSU and FGCU were the late game in session 2. They hold most of the tickets but they're usually pregaming until the second half of the first game or until the first game is over.

I try to go whenever it's in Jacksonville, Tampa, or Orlando and what you described is what I've often experienced. Last year UF was in the late game in session 1 and FSU and FGCU were the late game in session 2. They hold most of the tickets but they're usually pregaming until the second half of the first game or until the first game is over.
Someone gets it.

Now, if my wife and I had purchased the seats, we would have been there for all the games. That's a certainty. We don't have a dog in the fight. We just love the sport.

Count me in on some of that. What I really found odd though is that on the Roku, you couldn't stream the games that were on the flagship, CBS, station. You could stream TBS, TNT & TRU feeds but not CBS. However, on the mobile app, all four could be streamed. I don't understand the reasoning behind that. Not really a big deal though, we had four tv's in the mancave going anyhow, three streaming the TBS, TNT & TRU feeds and the CBS OTA.

I imagine the same was true for the other participating venues. Is what you said also. I have a hard time believing from the first picture in the series that scalpers? bought all of those empty seats or the venue below

You don’t get it as what DPK is talking about has nothing to do with eBay or seats that are not paid for.

Your guess is as good as mine. I expect this strange phenomena to show up on a segment of Unsolved Mysteries soon.
I fully expect the strange phenomena to cause The Masters ratings to climb to another rating's high in just a couple weeks. When that strange phenomena plays well, the ratings follow. :cool:

Count me in on some of that. What I really found odd though is that on the Roku, you couldn't stream the games that were on the flagship, CBS, station. You could stream TBS, TNT & TRU feeds but not CBS. However, on the mobile app, all four could be streamed. I don't understand the reasoning behind that. Not really a big deal though, we had four tv's in the mancave going anyhow, three streaming the TBS, TNT & TRU feeds and the CBS OTA.
I spent the last half of work Thursday and Friday using the MML app. All things considered I thought it was pretty good.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2018/03/19/Media/NCAA-TV.aspx

March Madness Live streaming is helping Turner and CBS close the gap on last season's opening week of NCAA Tourney games, which on TV alone was the best figure in 24 years. CBS, TBS, TNT, truTV and MML through Saturday's games (including the First Four) are combining to average a total audience delivery of 8.7 million viewers, up 2% from 8.6 million viewers last year. Excluding MML for the same period, the four linear networks are averaging 8.28 million viewers, down 3% from 8.55 million last year. MML has set several records through Saturday. Thursday's Rhode Island-Oklahoma (opening game) marked a record for live streams on the platform, while that 2:30pm ET window on Thursday, which included other games, had the most concurrent streams in MML history. To date, there have been 11 million hours of consumption on MML, up 4% through the same period in '17. The NCAA's March Madness social media accounts also are up. There have been 110 million impressions on the Twitter and Facebook accounts for March Madness, up 16% from last year. There also has been a 45% spike in video views on official March Madness accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (Austin Karp, Assistant Managing Editor).

The PBA/FOX Press Release said:
"... a new bracket-style, multi-week PBA Playoffs tournament that concludes with a unique PBA championship finale..."
:confused:;):confused:;)

Meanwhile, the NBA is considering changing up its post-season format, although LeBron James believes it is righteous and correct to have just 16 teams qualify rather than expanding to 20...

According to ESPN, there is "some behind-the-scenes momentum for the idea of a play-in tournament determining the last two seeds in each conference -- to the point that two specific proposals are circulating at the highest levels within teams and the league office."

Lowe reported the play-in proposal that has generated the most discussion, according to several sources: two four-team tournaments featuring the seventh, eighth, ninth and 10th seeds in each conference. The seventh seed would host the eighth seed, with the winner of that single game nabbing the seventh spot, sources say. Meanwhile, the ninth seed would host the 10th seed, with the winner of that game facing the loser of the 7-versus-8 matchup for the final playoff spot.

A special play-in tournament for below-average NBA teams sounds like a thriller. As opposed to literally allowing 66% of the league to qualify for the post-season. I thought they had already managed to water down their playoffs as much as possible.

I sometimes listen to NBA uber-fan Bill Simmons' podcast, and heard him enthusiastically discussing the concept. I couldn't believe it was a serious idea.

I don't have anything against bowling, but I know next to nothing about it on the PBA level. Do they already have a post-season format, or is this entirely new?

Last edited:
UMBC Bright Spot on Mostly Down Weekend For NCAA Tournament

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/03/ncaa-tournament-ratings-umbc-trutv/

Nascar would kill for some of these numbers as 4.6 million on something called tru has got to be a record as that is about the same as the Homestead finale got on NBC last year. I think that one other chase race might have been equal but the other 8 were a lot worse. When talking about what is bad this really puts things in persepctive doesn't it?

March Madness took the Tiger hit on Sunday. +2% YOY through Saturday dropped to -4% YOY through Sunday. Still pretty good, all things considered.

:confused:;):confused:;)

Meanwhile, the NBA is considering changing up its post-season format, although LeBron James believes it is righteous and correct to have just 16 teams qualify rather than expanding to 20...

According to ESPN, there is "some behind-the-scenes momentum for the idea of a play-in tournament determining the last two seeds in each conference -- to the point that two specific proposals are circulating at the highest levels within teams and the league office."

Lowe reported the play-in proposal that has generated the most discussion, according to several sources: two four-team tournaments featuring the seventh, eighth, ninth and 10th seeds in each conference. The seventh seed would host the eighth seed, with the winner of that single game nabbing the seventh spot, sources say. Meanwhile, the ninth seed would host the 10th seed, with the winner of that game facing the loser of the 7-versus-8 matchup for the final playoff spot.
Bad idea. Money grab.

If the idea is to stop tanking, well, the 9-12 range isn’t who’s tanking. And if they were, they wouldn’t quit tanking so they could maybe beat the 7 or 8 seed and get blown out in the first round.The Pistons and Hornets have no business being in the playoffs right now.

Back
Top Bottom