Sports TV ratings, etc. Random sports talk

IMO the NFL just is losing it’s fun factor. NASCAR kind of did there for awhile until the youth movement and manufacturers involvement started to spark. College football and the NBA are probably the most fun sports to watch at the moment, product is just as exciting as ever

Ratings Crash for Vikings-Eagles NFC Championship Game, Jags-Pats Earn Lowest Early Game Rating Since 2013
A regular season trend of declining ratings which then turned into a postseason trend of declining ratings, has culminated into a championship weekend of, you guessed it, declining ratings.

The late game numbers from the Vikings and Eagles, did not improve the situation for the NFL. Vikings-Eagles drew a 24.7 rating, a 2.9 percent drop from the 27.6 rating that the Steelers and Patriots drew last year.
It’s also the second lowest rating for a late game since 2009, surpassed only by the “Deflategate” between the Patriots and Colts in 2015.
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...ats-earn-lowest-early-game-rating-since-2013/

I am surprised the the NFC champ game did as good as it did seeing the game was over early in the third quarter. Unless you hated the Vikings, loved the Eagles or enjoyed watching the great play of the Eagles D and Nick Foles playing super well there wasn't much for most to see.

That insignificant drop compared to the substantial national decreases for every playoff game make me wonder if the same thing is happening to the NFL that has happened elsewhere in sports / news etc. - increasing localization / regionalization at the expense of national appeal.

That insignificant drop compared to the substantial national decreases for every playoff game make me wonder if the same thing is happening to the NFL that has happened elsewhere in sports / news etc. - increasing localization / regionalization at the expense of national appeal.

Or maybe a better reason, people are pissed at the NFL.

The point is that the games are still massively popular in their local and regional areas. People are pissed at other cities' teams but not their own? The more likely explanation is that there is fading interest in all but one's local / favorite team. This is what happened in baseball and elsewhere.

The point is that the games are still massively popular in their local and regional areas. People are pissed at other cities' teams but not their own? The more likely explanation is that there is fading interest in all but one's local / favorite team. This is what happened in baseball and elsewhere.
True enough about MLB for me. I've never been interested in watching two teams outside my home market play against one another. Unless it's the post season, then I'll watch all the baseball I can get.

NBA..... Next..... No interest whatsoever. Post season included. If the NBA were gone tomorrow, I wouldn't be affected in the least.

NHL..... I watch every game I can of our local team & other of what I consider to be good matchups.

NFL..... I'll watch each and every game that I have access to as long as I have time. I make time for my own team when they play.

NASCAR..... I've lost a lot of interest in the sport over the years to where it is no longer a must watch live event. I DVR every race and if I don't happen to catch it live, I'll watch when I can. I don't go to as many races as I once did but I've got other priorities.

True enough about MLB for me. I've never been interested in watching two teams outside my home market play against one another. Unless it's the post season, then I'll watch all the baseball I can get.

NBA..... Next..... No interest whatsoever. Post season included. If the NBA were gone tomorrow, I wouldn't be affected in the least.

NHL..... I watch every game I can of our local team & other of what I consider to be good matchups.

NFL..... I'll watch each and every game that I have access to as long as I have time. I make time for my own team when they play.

NASCAR..... I've lost a lot of interest in the sport over the years to where it is no longer a must watch live event. I DVR every race and if I don't happen to catch it live, I'll watch when I can. I don't go to as many races as I once did but I've got other priorities.
I'm pretty much in line with this. I don't watch as much NHL as used to, NBA, if that league disbanded tomorrow I'd say good riddance. I'll watch all NFL play off games as I did this year, other than that it's the Pats and an occasional key match up, but I'm not going to arrange my day to do it. As for Nascar, well this one is the sport I have almost given up on at the top levels. I'll watch bits and pieces of the Cup race, get the highlights the next day, then read about it. Local racing I pay much more attention to. However, seeing how Comcast graced me with the top tier package due to billing errors, I'll now be watching more racing overall. MLB, I'll watch the Red Sox and MLB channel, get the skinny on key games and highlights.

Only sport I watch religiously anymore really is football. I get all the Jacksonville Jaguars games with Sunday Ticket. I had it free this past year, probably was not going to keep it if the Jaguars continued to suck, but that wasn't a problem, was it @dpkimmel2001? :D

NASCAR became very hard to follow last year.

Only sport I watch religiously anymore really is football. I get all the Jacksonville Jaguars games with Sunday Ticket. I had it free this past year, probably was not going to keep it if the Jaguars continued to suck, but that wasn't a problem, was it @dpkimmel2001? :D

NASCAR became very hard to follow last year.

Really? I think that was one of the better seasons we had in recent memory

Really? I think that was one of the better seasons we had in recent memory

NASCAR? I disagree. I think it was, with no hyperbole, the worst season since I began watching. Watching Truex win all the time is like watching the Patriots. And the brobdingnagians just don't produce good racing. Ironically, if there weren't so many 1.5-mile brobdingnagians, Truex wouldn't have dominated as much as he did.

NASCAR? I disagree. I think it was, with no hyperbole, the worst season since I began watching. Watching Truex win all the time is like watching the Patriots. And the brobdingnagians just don't produce good racing. Ironically, if there weren't so many 1.5-mile brobdingnagians, Truex wouldn't have dominated as much as he did.

Oh I thought it was awesome but I get it. For me any individual sport (golf, tennis, racing, boxing) is made better by having that guy to knock off at the top of the hill but to each their own

Oh I thought it was awesome but I get it. For me any individual sport (golf, tennis, racing, boxing) is made better by having that guy to knock off at the top of the hill but to each their own

The problem for me is that his championship really exacerbated everything that's wrong with NASCAR racing right now to me. His success was pretty limited to just the 1.5-mile tracks, and he was able to make it through every round of the playoffs and win the championship because there are too many of those tracks.

And it's funny because "1.5-mile tracks" is what everyone's used to write-off the significance of Jimmie Johnson's Reign of Terror... even though Jimmie Johnson was consistently winning at superspeedways, short tracks and one-mile tracks as well as at the Brobdingnagians.

I don't think anybody is crazy enough to think the NFL is on it's deathbed, that is reserved for Nascar. But like Nascar and Subscription TV in general ratings continue to fall

Turns out pro football is just like regular TV, after all: Ratings were down 12 percent during the regular season, and even more during the playoffs.

https://www.recode.net/2018/1/29/16...e-tv-playoffs-moffettnathanson-trump-protests

I think the people who follow Nascar don't think it is dying off but it wouldn't surprise me if some casual lookers thought Nascar was in trouble because of all the bad press. As far as this deathbed talk goes I figured it was a forum joke which is why I made a comment about NFL deathbed. I tthink the NFL and Nascar both have good futures although they may include changes.

You haven't been around long AP55. There are some who were giving Nascar 6 years before it's demise.

I think the people who follow Nascar don't think it is dying off but it wouldn't surprise me if some casual lookers thought Nascar was in trouble because of all the bad press. As far as this deathbed talk goes I figured it was a forum joke which is why I made a comment about NFL deathbed. I tthink the NFL and Nascar both have good futures although they may include changes.
The deathbed talk is a joke to many of us. Others, I'm afraid, are completely convinced and relish in the mere thought of NASCAR's decline..... for some strange reason.

Man, TNF is such a bad product. Not good for the players either. Can't say I'm thrilled about that one.

Most of the primetime games sucked. The NFL and NBC would rather show Dallas in primetime every single week. Honestly, it's boring seeing the same teams in primetime every week.

It's like this...

NBC pre-game show: "This Jacksonville Jaguars team is a serious threat to go deep in the playoffs."
"The Los Angeles Rams look like a really tough team with Jared Goff and Todd Gurley on offense."
"The Philadelphia Eagles continue to have a surprise season and remain in first place."
"The entire NFC South is strong. New Orleans, Atlanta and Carolina could all make the playoffs this year."
"The Buffalo Bills should not be underestimated right now."
"This season has been wild and the playoff picture is looking very different than in the past. But now let's go to Al and Cris."

NBC game: "I'm Al Michaels and we welcome you to AT&T Stadium where the Dallas Cowboys are playing the Oakland Raiders in a game that might have playoff implications if this team loses out and this team loses out and this team loses out and both these teams win out even though one has to lose tonight and this team has to lose to that team and this team has to lose to that team. But this game is like really important tonight because it's the Cowboys. Thoughts, Cris Colinsworth?"

The deathbed talk is a joke to many of us. Others, I'm afraid, are completely convinced and relish in the mere thought of NASCAR's decline..... for some strange reason.

At least there's one dedicated thread for the ignorance now and not two threads a week about how NASCAR is dead.

I lost count how many times NASCAR "died" last year, but at one point, it was like three times a week. NASCAR is apparently Kenny McCormick or Deadpool because it just keeps on rolling.

Most of the primetime games sucked. The NFL and NBC would rather show Dallas in primetime every single week. Honestly, it's boring seeing the same teams in primetime every week.

It's like this...

NBC pre-game show: "This Jacksonville Jaguars team is a serious threat to go deep in the playoffs."
"The Los Angeles Rams look like a really tough team with Jared Goff and Todd Gurley on offense."
"The Philadelphia Eagles continue to have a surprise season and remain in first place."
"The entire NFC South is strong. New Orleans, Atlanta and Carolina could all make the playoffs this year."
"The Buffalo Bills should not be underestimated right now."
"This season has been wild and the playoff picture is looking very different than in the past. But now let's go to Al and Cris."

NBC game: "I'm Al Michaels and we welcome you to AT&T Stadium where the Dallas Cowboys are playing the Oakland Raiders in a game that might have playoff implications if this team loses out and this team loses out and this team loses out and both these teams win out even though one has to lose tonight and this team has to lose to that team and this team has to lose to that team. But this game is like really important tonight because it's the Cowboys. Thoughts, Cris Colinsworth?"

Poor geographically challenged N.E guy that doesn't realize how large and populated Texas is, and comes from an area where they have a pro team every 50 miles. But rave on dude..Texas speedway is coming up also. :D:p

Poor geographically challenged N.E guy that doesn't realize how large and populated Texas is, and comes from an area where they have a pro team every 50 miles. But rave on dude..Texas speedway is coming up also. :D:p

I don't live in New England or the northeast. We have one professional football team within four hours of us where I live and that's the Carolina Panthers.

I understand how large Texas is and how many people root for the Cowboys. That's irrelevant, most football fans are sick of the Cowboys being televised nationally every single week.

Rave on bud. I meant North East. not New England. Probably need to look at a map, no pro teams for the adjoining states of Arkansas Oklahoma, New Mexico. These are whole states that many are Cowboy fans inside of. You'll figure it out.

Some really interesting data in this Twitter thread posted by Fox Sports' Michael Mulvihill, especially the chart of NFL total minutes viewed from 2000-2017. 2015 was an all-time peak, but even with the decline since, the 2017 numbers are still much higher than 2000-2008. So if people reference the glory days when football was king, they must be talking about...two years ago.

Total NFL Regular Season Viewing, Billions of Minutes, Since 2000:
2017 - 303
2016 - 349
2015 - 376
2014 - 357
2013 - 347
2012 - 328
2011 - 321
2010 - 326
2009 - 301
2008 - 262
2007 - 265
2006 - 263
2005 - 249
2004 - 248
2003 - 249
2002 - 253
2001 - 237
2000 - 245

Some really interesting data in this Twitter thread posted by Fox Sports' Michael Mulvihill, especially the chart of NFL total minutes viewed from 2000-2017. 2015 was an all-time peak, but even with the decline since, the 2017 numbers are still much higher than 2000-2008. So if people reference the glory days when football was king, they must be talking about...two years ago.

2017 - 303
2016 - 349
2015 - 376
2014 - 357
2013 - 347
2012 - 328
2011 - 321
2010 - 326
2009 - 301
2008 - 262
2007 - 265
2006 - 263
2005 - 249
2004 - 248
2003 - 249
2002 - 253
2001 - 237
2000 - 245

First off I want to say that I am not one of those bad news bears that feels like Nascar is doomed and going out of business. I appreciate the stats you and others have posted as it helps me figure things out. I am thinking that the NFL could still be doing well even if it dropped to 10 year old levels and it could maybe even drop more and still be OK. Now I am not saying that the NFL and Nascar don't have some of the same things going on but I gotta say it looks like things are different to.

2017 - 303
2016 - 349
2015 - 376
2014 - 357
2013 - 347
2012 - 328
2011 - 321
2010 - 326
2009 - 301
2008 - 262
2007 - 265
2006 - 263
2005 - 249
2004 - 248
2003 - 249
2002 - 253
2001 - 237
2000 - 245

One of my favorite follows on Twitter. Cable news and news programming in general has shot through the roof and is the biggest stuff on TV now.

You can find somebody to say just about anything
Super Bowl LII had fewest viewers since 2009, down 7 percent from last year
Still, Super Bowl LII attracted the fewest viewers since 98.7 million watched the Steelers edge the Cardinals in 2009. The NFL’s regular season games in 2017 had a 9.7 percent drop in viewership from 2016, which itself saw an eight percent drop from the previous year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ercent-from-last-year/?utm_term=.7992205b6de5

Back
Top Bottom