Sports TV ratings, etc. Random sports talk

Only 21.6 million people watched the afternoon game on CBS. The NFL is dying.

If I am still alive when the NFL dies I will probably just stare at the TV in a catatonic state and every once in awhile scream out "Omaha" and "Green 18, Green 18." Occasionally I have entered suspended animation when watching a cup race only to snapped out of it by a "3 WIDE" scream.

.I think the only live sporting event up is soccer
The league's average TV audience through Week 5 of the 2017 season dropped 7 percent vs. the same period of the 2016 season, according to Nielsen data obtained by Sporting News. Worse for the league, the average game audiences are down 18 percent compared to the first five weeks of the 2015 season.

Once the mothers decide they don't want their star athlete to play football but some other less damaging sport is a trend that is starting to happen. The NFL can't sweep the concussions under the rug anymore. We had a star high school player this year operated on for a bleeding brain. The injury was heavily covered by the media.

A young Tulsa athlete has made “remarkable progress” recovering from a severe traumatic brain injury sustained during a football game between Union and Owasso High School.

Union running back Keviyon Cooper had just helped lead his team to a double-overtime victory with perhaps his best game in his young career when he was rushed to a hospital in an ambulance.

Due to his parents’ request for privacy, little is known about what occurred between the time the game ended and his sudden trip to the hospital. But, since then he underwent surgery to relieve bleeding in his brain. For many, this could be the start of a years-long struggle to recover.
While Cooper is still not out of the woods, the early signs are promising. A press release said that while he remains on a rehab floor for treatment, he is expected to be released in the coming days – a remarkably quick turnaround compared to most who undergo similar procedures. Still, those close to him say he has “a long road ahead of him".
Most expect a traumatic brain injury to be somewhat obvious on the field. They expect there to be a massive collision, illegal play, or some other sign that something may be amiss. If they don’t see a colossally big hit, they at least expect the player to be sluggish, dazed, or slow to get up after the play.

As Keviyon Cooper shows, that is not always true.
There was no single hit that obviously contributed to Cooper’s brain injury, and no one seemed to notice anything was wrong until he was rushed to the hospital. In fact, there is not a single report from the game that mentions any injury to Keviyon. The athlete was allowed to play the entire game, earning 159 yards across 30 carries. Any of those plays could be the one that led Cooper to undergo emergency surgery.
http://www.traumaticbraininjury.net...rain-injury-during-high-school-football-game/

Too much NFL. And generally speaking, the same teams are televised nationally each week.

And, honestly, the primetime matchups suck this year. NBC aired a game between Miami and Oakland the other night in primetime. :XXROFL:

For starters, the NFL needs to change their flex game scheduling to every week. So the Atlanta Falcons went to the Super Bowl last year. They suck this year, no reason they should be getting national coverage each week. Meanwhile, the Jacksonville Jaguars have one of the greatest defenses in the history of football this year and their games are only televised in their market and their opponent's market.

soccer isn't doing well either

For the first time since NBC began broadcasting the Premier League for the 2013-14 campaign, the network’s TV ratings declined this season.
Not only did the numbers fail to increase for the first time, but NBC's 2016-17 Premier League ratings were actually the lowest of all four seasons it has broadcasted the English top flight.
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/medi...gs-dropped-for-the/1ji7c3e8hi2rv1u4muh5iwsqfh

It looks like many are popping in using social media to catch the highlights so they don't appear as dummies during the water cooler conversations.

I don't want to say the NFL has a real problem on their hands just yet - they are still far and away the #1 sport in America - but there are certainly things they need to address if they want to curb these declines.

Through last night, NBA games have averaged 2.1 million viewers on TNT and ESPN — up 15% from last year (1.81M) and up 13% from 2015 (1.84M). There have been more telecasts (27) than at the same point last year (21).
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/11/nba-tv-ratings-good-warriors-celtics/

The NFL has a problem with CTE. I played a little foorball in high school, badly I might add. My son did the pop Warner until he decided to play in a safer sport, like hockey. :)
Is it me or has there been a increase in the amount of injuries in the NFL and college ranks this year? See that QB in the Egg bowl, DAMN that had to sting!!1
I see more and more kids leaning towards soccer but soccer also has it's share of injuries, mostly foot and leg. Although in the past few months two high school girls have died on the field, one had a brain aneurism and the other a undetected heart condition
Don't know where contact sports will be heading.....

The NFL has a problem with CTE. I played a little foorball in high school, badly I might add. My son did the pop Warner until he decided to play in a safer sport, like hockey. :)
Is it me or has there been a increase in the amount of injuries in the NFL and college ranks this year? See that QB in the Egg bowl, DAMN that had to sting!!1
I see more and more kids leaning towards soccer but soccer also has it's share of injuries, mostly foot and leg. Although in the past few months two high school girls have died on the field, one had a brain aneurism and the other a undetected heart condition
Don't know where contact sports will be heading.....
It's awareness IMO been going on for years and even worse when they could closeline, tape up using plaster, take off the quarterbacks head etc

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/11/20/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/MLS.aspx

MLS’s television ratings still pale in comparison to its professional league peers, but it can point to another increase in viewership as further proof of the league’s growth.

In total, the 2017 MLS regular season had 26.3 million gross viewers across all U.S. networks, up 4 percent from 2016 and up 41 percent since the 2014 season, according to the league and network figures. It signed its current media rights deal with ESPN, Fox and Univision, which runs through 2022, after that season. Rising ratings have become more rare in sports of late, and MLS says it is the only league in North America to show consistent viewership growth since 2014.

“When we think about the way the media landscape is changing, not just in sports but across the board, we’re really proud that we’re showing growth, and are extremely bullish on that growth going forward,” said Seth Bacon, MLS senior vice president of media.

MLS broadcasts on Fox saw a 5 percent increase and Univision networks an 8 percent increase in average viewership for this past season. The average viewership of MLS broadcasts on ESPN networks was down less than 1 percent, although broadcasts on ESPN and ESPN2 individually had year-over-year increases of 1 percent and 9 percent, respectively. According to MLS, viewership on TSN/CTV and TVA in Canada were both up 8 percent over the previous year, following new five-year deals with both broadcasters in January.

Ratings for the playoff matches are up as well, which Guglielmino said is part of that flexibility on the part of MLS. While the regular-season broadcasts are often focused around Sundays and weekends, MLS playoffs matches have been featured midweek this year rather than going head to head with the NFL and other sports in season. ESPN is up 50 percent in playoff viewership year-over-year to date.

Guglielmino also noted that using Nielsen’s out-of-home measurement, MLS broadcasts receive a significant 18 percent increase on top of the calculated viewership.

“The numbers really speak for themselves,” Guglielmino said. “It’s terrific to see what is still a young league continue to progress.”

MLS advertising inventory across ESPN, Fox Sports and Univision was also sold out across the regular season, playoffs and MLS Cup, according to Bacon. Guglielmino said the demographics that MLS draws, on top of the scarcity of available advertising around soccer broadcasts, has helped drive advertiser interest.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/10/09/Media/MLB-RSN.aspx

Overall, 18 of the 30 MLB teams showed decreases. Collectively, the 29 U.S.-based teams were down 4 percent this season (an average of 2.91). In Toronto, Blue Jays games averaged 722,400 viewers on Rogers SportsNet, down 28 percent from a team-record 1.01 million in 2016.

Fox’s 15 regional sports networks posted a 5 percent ratings gain for MLB games compared to last season, with an average 3.25 rating. All the other RSN groups showed decreases. NBC Sports Group’s six RSNs that have baseball saw game ratingsdrop 15 percent collectively, AT&T SportsNet/Root’s four RSNs with baseball were down 9 percent, and the four teams on independent RSNs were down 4 percent.

Nationally, MLB showed a slight uptick this season, led by ESPN where ratings for MLBgames were up 6 percent. That increase primarily was fueled by “Sunday Night Baseball,” which was up 8 percent to an average of 1.7 million viewers. Fox was down 2 percent to 2.1 million viewers, and FS1 was basically flat at 448,000 viewers.

RSNs that carried MLB games were the most-watched prime-time channel — broadcast or cable — in 12 markets. Another eight RSNs that carry MLB games ranked in the top three of their markets in prime time.

Driving back to my office from a jobsite yesterday with a local sports talk radio program on the box. The subject matter was sagging TV ratings for the Canadian Football League. It was like reading this thread. Where, oh where are the young people? But ... demographics! What can be done to attract the desirable group so avidly sought after?

All this 2 days after the Grey Cup game, apparently quite an exciting affair not decided until the last couple of minutes by some wildness. Some 4+ million people tuned in ... from a population 10% the size of that in the US. One would think that broadcasters and their advertisers would switch their focus to the graybeards.

It is highly likely that Nascar's broadcast partners have codicils protecting them from things like field size and ratings. Nascar has the ability to artificially manipulate the field size so I don't see that being a problem however a minimum ratings clause could easily bite them unless things turn around.

that performance clause has already kicked in for the NFL. Sponsors are getting added commercials. Haven't heard a peep from any network exec about Nascar. Much bigger fish to fry when the NFL is tanking. If they had that clause in Nascar I believe we would have heard about it before now.

Driving back to my office from a jobsite yesterday with a local sports talk radio program on the box. The subject matter was sagging TV ratings for the Canadian Football League. It was like reading this thread. Where, oh where are the young people? But ... demographics! What can be done to attract the desirable group so avidly sought after?

All this 2 days after the Grey Cup game, apparently quite an exciting affair not decided until the last couple of minutes by some wildness. Some 4+ million people tuned in ... from a population 10% the size of that in the US. One would think that broadcasters and their advertisers would switch their focus to the graybeards.

What you say makes perfect sense to me as there are a ton of aging baby boomers that have minds still open for business that could be influenced to try different products.

I was surprised that 4 million people watched the CFL Championship seeing the CFL is rejected in Toronto and I was even more surprised by this.

http://torontosun.com/2015/02/07/mo...cans/wcm/95c24808-8769-4e12-99b4-35c333820ef7

that performance clause has already kicked in for the NFL. Sponsors are getting added commercials. Haven't heard a peep from any network exec about Nascar. Much bigger fish to fry when the NFL is tanking. If they had that clause in Nascar I believe we would have heard about it before now.

I will defer to your wisdom regarding the NFL as I have zero interest in the anthem kerfuffle, ratings or anything else other than the game itself. IDK what codicils are in the Nascar contracts or what triggers them but with the constant loss of viewers and fans if there is a trigger we will see it.

I will defer to your wisdom regarding the NFL as I have zero interest in the anthem kerfuffle, ratings or anything else other than the game itself. IDK what codicils are in the Nascar contracts or what triggers them but with the constant loss of viewers and fans if there is a trigger we will see it.
already have..stage racing. Getting the commercials in on a sport with continuous action that doesn't have "time outs"

already have..stage racing. Getting the commercials in on a sport with continuous action that doesn't have "time outs"

Once again I will defer to your wisdom as I don't watch commercials but I did look and see that the Homestead finale in 2016 had 60 minutes of commercial interruptions from 3:00 PM to 7:03 PM. As far as I know Nascar still breaks away from live action and shows commercials and IDK how the stages change anything as in years past they used bogus cautions to bunch up the field and show commercials. In reality it is 6 of one and a half dozen of another.

Back
Top Bottom