Start/restarts

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by AndyMarquisLive, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

Huh. I think it's funny NASCAR treats them differently. Try explaining that to a casual fan.

AndyMarquisLive and Turtle84 like this.
  2. Charlie Spencer

TV money. Me, I wouldn't miss it. Run another practice session and take the 10-lap averages for both starting position and pit selection.

Team Penske likes this.
  3. Old 97

Old 97 Team Owner

It's a simple rule. Just follow it.
    I'm not sure why some people are so upset about it........meanwhile Blaney and Elliot are laughing and drinking cold ones in Aspen

4. Stu Jameson

Stu Jameson Team Owner

Kind of like the go below the yellow rule at Talladega and Daytona and you're ok as long as you don't advance your position. (shrugs)

5. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Fix what? Its not broken.

6. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

You do know we are talking about the start of the race, you arent trying to tell me they used to start single file right? My 20 years was a catch all, should have said since the first race but you should have known what I meant.

7. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Start of the race bud. Been going on since the first one, 20 years was being nice.

8. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

We never had a problem because we knew what the hell we were doing. Never caved that front end once because somebody slammed on the breaks to let the leader go, you dont slam on the breaks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2019
  9. Johali

Johali Team Owner Contributor

That's your opinion. Mine and a lot of others believe that It's been broken for years. Just because It's been around for years doesn't make it right.

10. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

Weeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllll maybe some here would.

Ilovedthe90s and Turtle84 like this.
  11. kyle18fan

kyle18fan Proud member of Rowdy Nation Contributor

Blaney got rid of a dangerous adversary in that race, right from the start. Would I blame Blaney if he was instrumental in Elliot getting ahead ? hell no I wouldn't. Maybe he spun the tires, and maybe he didn't. I have watched Kyle Busch play little restart games in the past, it is just another little trick to winning races.

Ilovedthe90s and Team Penske like this.
  12. Turtle84

Turtle84 Team Owner

:lol2:

13. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

#hashtagsarefortwitter #stillabadrule

14. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

My mistake in that regard, you are right. However, the procedures for the 'restart zone' for either starts or restarts have not been codified and enforced the same way for 20 or more years. My point is that they have adjusted how it is officiated multiple times, and likely will again at some point. I don't think this was any tragedy or particularly big deal, but I do think the rule could be simpler and better.

Has NASCAR stated that this incident would have been officiated differently if this was a restart, or is it the same essential call?

15. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

If the lead car mashed the breaks a lot of stuff would be broken.

16. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

Some of these short tracks have even more convoluted rules.

I remember watching in amazement at Martinsville when the race director for the Late Model classic said the race restarts in the restart zone (starts off turn four and goes halfway to flagstand) but you couldn't beat the leader to the line. :confused:

That's the same as this deal. They started the race before the flagstand, but you can't make a pass until you cross the flagstand. :confused:

If the race starts or restarts in between turn four and the flagstand, that's where the race is started or restarted.

I've also heard of tracks having rules where you couldn't pass the leader until you got to the backstretch. I mean, what's the point?

If the leader gets absolute control and can't be passed, do Delaware style restarts.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  17. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

If its a problem could you reference me numerous occasions of penalties its caused? Just because the Golden boy broke the rule doesnt mean its wrong.

kyle18fan likes this.
  18. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

lol. They do it all the time.

19. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

They seem to work here as well. I think you got my point.

Johali likes this.
  20. Charlie Spencer

21. Charlie Spencer

Just because something doesn't cause a problem regularly doesn't mean it shouldn't be examined and questioned. I didn't say changed, but at least discussed.

Blaze and gnomesayin like this.
  22. Johali

One wrong penalty is too many. And who the driver was is of no concern. If it was kybu, who I dislike a lot, I would still have the same opinion.

Blaze likes this.
  23. kyle18fan

:lol2:

24. kyle18fan

If Kyle Busch got the penalty, the gator be like .....:partytime:partytime:pbjtime::pbjtime::pbjtime::pbjtime:

;)

25. Johali

Yep. But I still wouldn't like the crazy rule.

kyle18fan likes this.
  26. kyle18fan

It doesn't seem to be too much to ask to let the leader cross the start line first :idunno: Elliot could have settled for second and raced his way to the front at a later time.

27. Johali

I was watching and listening on raceview and they replayed it several times on TV. Blaney either spun his tires at the last second or burped the throttle, you could hear it. If he had a choice he would have taken it.

28. Charlie Spencer

We agree on what Elliott COULD have done. We're debating the rule that requires him to do it.

Johali likes this.
  29. kyle18fan

Blaney may well have purposely created the issue, I have seen it numerous times. I have a name for such shenanigans but I cannot post it here without causing a bunch of heart attacks. Some of these folks are very very sensitive

30. kyle18fan

I see little to debate ........ the leader crosses the line first :idunno: a very simple and straightforward rule. I can't see how they can allow folks to gain a position before the race starts. it makes absolutely no sense at all.

31. SpeedPagan

SpeedPagan The iRacing Guru

I mean, they could always try the Delaware Cone Restart at the next All Star Race.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  32. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

I've had it with the jumping on restarts too.

33. Johali

Hell, start using it this weekend.

gnomesayin likes this.
  34. kyle18fan

The border is a long way from PIR, I suggest you look at a map

35. kyle18fan

Or .......... they could just leave the common sense rule in place and no further complicate a simple issue

dpkimmel2001 likes this.
  36. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

People are screaming now at NASCAR for all this "change"and now they want to change the rules. Again if it was a persistent problem it would be addressed.

dpkimmel2001 likes this.
  37. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

To the moderator: I understand. Perhaps it should have just been deleted. I cop to it being off topic, but I meant it as a harmless joke

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2019
  38. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

or give the position back, but Elliott didn't.

39. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

I agree this should be an option to avoid the Draconian penalty.

40. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

From my understanding The restart would be in the restart box and as soon as the leader excelerates it doesnt matter who crosses the line first but on the initial start, it does.

Team Penske and gnomesayin like this.