Start/restarts

Pedal it, whatever you need to do. It happens more often then you think on starts and restarts but they manage to control it.
Kind of like the go below the yellow rule at Talladega and Daytona and you're ok as long as you don't advance your position. (shrugs)

Every time that happens the driver should slam on brakes and take out half of the field. Sooner or later O'Donnell will get out of his jackass mode and fix it.
Fix what? Its not broken.

have always been my preference.

I don't know what basis anyone has for believing the rule has been in place for 20 years or is set in stone.
They've been doing double file restarts for lead lap cars since mid-2009, and there have been adjustments to the procedures since. There is no tradition to the rule, and everything in NASCAR is subject to change. As recently as 2013, they stated that the second place car could beat the leader to the line so long as the race was started correctly in the restart zone.

https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2013/09/15/nascar-clarifies-restart-rules-to-drivers/

Having said all that, this was a rare occurrence in recent years. I think it would make more sense to simply make sure the leader starts the race first in the zone and let it be from there, or do Delaware restarts. But the current rules aren't a frequent issue.
You do know we are talking about the start of the race, you arent trying to tell me they used to start single file right? My 20 years was a catch all, should have said since the first race but you should have known what I meant.

I race a 410 sprint car and we start at a line at the exit of turn 4. Side note if a person waits to start at the line you are late. You can't go blatantly early but don't be late or wait till the line. It is like drag racing go on yellow.
Anyway my point being is every short track knows how to do it. Only Nascar can break the KISS rule.
The flag man waves the green for the start and then every man for themselves. All subsequent restarts at a line and no one should jump the leader but after he goes it should not matter who beats who to the line. But if the leader having all control and leading to the line is that important just have Delaware restarts.
I have to ask you Spotter22 so if Jimmy Spencer starting 18th got his front end caved in on the start because you think the outside guy should pedal it or slow down. I would like to see you explain that philosophy to Jimmy. I know all about how is Dad; Ed, and family raced. Because they raced at my local dirt tracks and with many guys I know.
We never had a problem because we knew what the hell we were doing. Never caved that front end once because somebody slammed on the breaks to let the leader go, you dont slam on the breaks

Last edited by a moderator:
Blaney got rid of a dangerous adversary in that race, right from the start. Would I blame Blaney if he was instrumental in Elliot getting ahead ? hell no I wouldn't. Maybe he spun the tires, and maybe he didn't. I have watched Kyle Busch play little restart games in the past, it is just another little trick to winning races.

You do know we are talking about the start of the race, you arent trying to tell me they used to start single file right? My 20 years was a catch all, should have said since the first race but you should have known what I meant.

My mistake in that regard, you are right. However, the procedures for the 'restart zone' for either starts or restarts have not been codified and enforced the same way for 20 or more years. My point is that they have adjusted how it is officiated multiple times, and likely will again at some point. I don't think this was any tragedy or particularly big deal, but I do think the rule could be simpler and better.

Has NASCAR stated that this incident would have been officiated differently if this was a restart, or is it the same essential call?

We never had a problem because we knew what the hell we were doing. Never caved that front end once because somebody slammed on the breaks to let the leader go, you dont slam on the breaks

If the lead car mashed the breaks a lot of stuff would be broken.

Huh. I think it's funny NASCAR treats them differently. Try explaining that to a casual fan.

Some of these short tracks have even more convoluted rules.

I remember watching in amazement at Martinsville when the race director for the Late Model classic said the race restarts in the restart zone (starts off turn four and goes halfway to flagstand) but you couldn't beat the leader to the line. :confused:

That's the same as this deal. They started the race before the flagstand, but you can't make a pass until you cross the flagstand. :confused:

If the race starts or restarts in between turn four and the flagstand, that's where the race is started or restarted.

I've also heard of tracks having rules where you couldn't pass the leader until you got to the backstretch. I mean, what's the point?

If the leader gets absolute control and can't be passed, do Delaware style restarts.

That's your opinion. Mine and a lot of others believe that It's been broken for years. Just because It's been around for years doesn't make it right.
If its a problem could you reference me numerous occasions of penalties its caused? Just because the Golden boy broke the rule doesnt mean its wrong.

upload_2019-3-12_15-53-14.jpeg

If its a problem could you reference me numerous occasions of penalties its caused? Just because the Golden boy broke the rule doesnt mean its wrong.
Just because something doesn't cause a problem regularly doesn't mean it shouldn't be examined and questioned. I didn't say changed, but at least discussed.

One wrong penalty is too many. And who the driver was is of no concern. If it was kybu, who I dislike a lot, I would still have the same opinion.

Yep. But I still wouldn't like the crazy rule.

It doesn't seem to be too much to ask to let the leader cross the start line first :idunno: Elliot could have settled for second and raced his way to the front at a later time.

It doesn't seem to be too much to ask to let the leader cross the start line first :idunno: Elliot could have settled for second and raced his way to the front at a later time.
I was watching and listening on raceview and they replayed it several times on TV. Blaney either spun his tires at the last second or burped the throttle, you could hear it. If he had a choice he would have taken it.

We agree on what Elliott COULD have done. We're debating the rule that requires him to do it.

I was watching and listening on raceview and they replayed it several times on TV. Blaney either spun his tires at the last second or burped the throttle, you could hear it. If he had a choice he would have taken it.

Blaney may well have purposely created the issue, I have seen it numerous times. I have a name for such shenanigans but I cannot post it here without causing a bunch of heart attacks. Some of these folks are very very sensitive

We agree on what Elliott COULD have done. We're debating the rule that requires him to do it.

I see little to debate ........ the leader crosses the line first :idunno: a very simple and straightforward rule. I can't see how they can allow folks to gain a position before the race starts. it makes absolutely no sense at all.

I have a name for such shenanigans but I cannot post it here without causing a bunch of heart attacks. Some of these folks are very very sensitive

I've had it with the jumping on restarts too.

Just because something doesn't cause a problem regularly doesn't mean it shouldn't be examined and questioned. I didn't say changed, but at least discussed.
People are screaming now at NASCAR for all this "change"and now they want to change the rules. Again if it was a persistent problem it would be addressed.

To the moderator: I understand. Perhaps it should have just been deleted. I cop to it being off topic, but I meant it as a harmless joke

Last edited by a moderator:
My mistake in that regard, you are right. However, the procedures for the 'restart zone' for either starts or restarts have not been codified and enforced the same way for 20 or more years. My point is that they have adjusted how it is officiated multiple times, and likely will again at some point. I don't think this was any tragedy or particularly big deal, but I do think the rule could be simpler and better.

Has NASCAR stated that this incident would have been officiated differently if this was a restart, or is it the same essential call?
From my understanding The restart would be in the restart box and as soon as the leader excelerates it doesnt matter who crosses the line first but on the initial start, it does.

Back
Top Bottom