Stirring the pot

Originally posted by DE Wrangler 2
I think Jr will "prove" himself in spite of MTV.:)   But, even if he doesn't, I still see no reason for any fan to apologize (or have to hear "guilty conscious" comments directed at them).:D

Wellll...you were the one saying, "Why is this bad??" When no one had said anything about it being bad...:) Was just wondering why you were putting words into people's mouths.

Just the name Earnhardt will attract money. If Budweiser quit, then I'm sure a major sponsor would put there logos on the car in a heartbeat.

Originally posted by 66mustang
Just the name Earnhardt will attract money.  If Budweiser quit, then I'm sure a major sponsor would put there logos on the car in a heartbeat.

I think the sport is about ready to find some new names,Jr.better step up to the plate,And not be a Ken Griffey.That song only last so long.I say this with all due respect to his fans.:)

Bunch, it's still gonna take a long time, even if Jr. doesn't pan out like they want. Compare that with the name Petty. Kyle hasn't put that name in the winner's circle for a long time now and while there are die hard Petty fans, they aren't as rampant as they were years ago. When Kyle steps out of that car, that will be end of the Petty name in a car. Names come and go in a sport.

I think it will be a long time before Jr steps out of a ride unless he is injured to the point where he can no longer perform. Like i said i'm not a huge fan of Jr.....but with all do respect he is a good driver and like some one else said earlier some of these arguements are just conjecture....only Jr can prove to himself and to his fans and non supporters that he is worthy.

Jr also acts like hes a previous WC champion as well. Anyone remember his comment from last year about being better then 80% of the drivers. I dont buy much into he was just kidding. I think media has gotin to his head as well.

I think jr is a good driver in a great car, that gets the atention of a great driver.

Originally posted by Lap3Forever
Jr is a good driver but not a grate driver.  

Tony and Jeff are the olny grate drivers as of right now.

I think Stewart, Busch and Newman are the only great drivers out there now.

how can you say jeff is not a great driver if those guys are, stewart probally has just as much financial backing in that car as jeff does and jeff usually puts up the same or better numbers. But I am not getting into all that again.

Originally posted by smack500
how can you say jeff is not a great driver

By saying this: Jeff is not a great driver. ;)

No, I think he is a good driver but I think next year he won't be a title contender like the three drivers I mentioned before will.

There has always been confusion between Cale Yarborough and Lee Roy Yarbrough. They are not from the same family. Lee Roy was from Florida while Cale is from South Carolina. They spell thier last names differently.

Originally posted by Whizzer
There has always been confusion between Cale Yarborough and Lee Roy Yarbrough. They are not from the same family. Lee Roy was from Florida while Cale is from South Carolina. They spell thier last names differently.

I didn't know that. I always thought they were brothers.

I keep hearing Jr is a good driver in a great ride. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that the idea? Having the best car, a little edge on the competition? The team that wins the Superbowl didn't get there by being a low budget team. the horse that wins the Kentucky Derby is not a sway back mare. I have been around Dirt Tracks all my life and I have always heard the old saying " If you can't outrun them, out spend them." So what i'm saying is, so what if he has the car, thats what the object is.

How do people know that Jeff Gordon is the greatest driver out there? He has never been in another car to be gauged. Could he take Brett Bodines car and still win the championship? probably not, he would probably run better than Brett, but I don't see any championships.

Could Tony Stewart win championships in Carl Long's cars? nope!
But I bet Carl Long could make most races in Tony's car.

So it seems to me that you have to have the total package , a great driver can't be great without a great team and a great team can't be great without a great driver.

I think some are just wondering what other drivers might do in that great car. That his performance doesn't seem to jive with what he's got.

I think it has to do more with his spirit and hunger to win. I don't think he has any. He's already a millionaire, he doesn't need to win anything. And those claims are backed up by his concentration on starting business ventures in the sport, as opposed to simply driving.

Of course he's allowed to start his own teams and whatnot, but kind of hard to concentrate on championships if he's got his eggs in 100 other different baskets.

my .02:
Jr is an above avarage driver, you don't lead the most laps and earn the most bonus points unless you are.
the question was would he be in WC if his dad wasn't DE, more than likely not.
However there are several current and past WC drivers out there who's kids have tried and failed . Juston Labonte, Jason Jarrett to name 2.
That being said Jr must have talent. Yes he does have good equipment i guess. You wouldn't know it by his teammates preformance.
Some of you are saying he has only won 7 races in 4 years hell thats more than some WC drivers win in their life time. Then you say he can only win at plate tracks. NOT !! His first win was at Texas followed by Richmond and Dover i think. so yes he can win on other tracks.

:argue:

I just tend to not wet my pants over drivers who's wins I can count on both hands.

And, the other drivers that haven't won in years need to get out as well. There's no need for all those strokers.

I actually like Jr a little bit. I didn't mean to imply in anyway he should not be where he is, but all the die hard jr fans can not here a comment from a fan that is not a die hard fan and not get all upset about it.

Originally posted by paul
I just tend to not wet my pants over drivers who's wins I can count on both hands.

And, the other drivers that haven't won in years need to get out as well.  There's no need for all those strokers.

remembering not to start a convo thread about 10+ winners before passin paul a depends...:D

Well if it was just the name that got JR the ride why isn't Kerry driving the Pennzoil car or the Napa car? Maybe Dale Sr was smarter than you give HIM credit for. Maybe he saw something in Jr that he didn't see in Kerry. So what if he has not been the most focused on his driving, I think that will come with time.

Theres nothing wrong with someone driveing a great car, but compare his numbers to other drivers with great cars you might see a diffrence.

Just remember Jr,and Mikey will get a lot of attention when ol Jaws is back in the booth.:D Boogity!Booger!Boogity!:D

I would have to agree with those of you that said jr might not even be in nascar if not for his daddy. not that he cant race a car, but i dont think his skills are top notch yet. he is still being trained with the newspaper and cage so to speak.

Maybe he needs a litter box instead Judas.:p just having some fun you Jr fans,don't hang me.:D

how many saturday night racers have you seen that you knew were good enough to race Nascar but will never have the chance?
I know I have seen some but their dads weren't racers.
How many people do you know that do the same thing their dad is doing or retired from?
whats the difference?
If my dad was a nascar great I would be pizzed if he didn't help me get started in the business.:)

Exactly Bowtie....i keep saying that Jr needs to mature to become a " Great " driver. He is at that good stage, as far as weeding out the so so drivers, that is already happening with the young guys coming in. Soon you will see the changing of the guard, Elliot has said this might be his last,Rusty will retire soon,Rudd, Sterling, all the guys pushing 50 will get out in the next 5 years or so. Some may go out on top, but some might try to hang around or go to trucks. I think The great drivers and i consider this to be, J. Gordon,Stewart,Jarret,B.Labonte, and Martin...yes folks 5 at the moment, will be pushed aside by all the younger guys soon. That being Newman,Johnson, Macmurray,Earnhardt,Busch ,and Kennseth, all of whom have a great chance at being legends in their own right.

Stewart's been in NASCAR for 3 years, you think he's going to be pushed aside already?

McMurray has raced 7 races, you're already calling him a legend?

My dad was a printer,I guess I should have bought a printing press instead of going into brokerage.:D I couldn't print unless he set the press up.;) Just a little more stir for the pot .:D

I think that Mcmurray has all the makings to be a great driver..... it won't happen over night, but he has a lot of potential, none of the young guys will become legends for along time. All i meant is that they a have the potential to get into the elite group. As for Stewart i know i am going out on a limb with that one, but i really feel his star will burnout in the next 5 years. Reason being he isn't stable enough to handle the endurance of racing 20 years in Nascar to become a legend. That is not to take away from the fact that he is an outstanding driver and the fact that i do like him.

That's why he is investing in the Number # 1 dirt track in the midwest.Eldora.Stewart is smarter than you think.:)

I never said he wasn't smart and the point you make about Eldora is a good one. I think he will rise higher than he is now in the sport, but quickly burnout, i could be wrong, but just my .02.

I respect your opinion Mopardh9.I love a good debate.I just wish I was good at it.:D

Thanks Pbunch.....yeh i love to debate politics, racing,life....lol, just my nature stimulation of the mind is the key to a happy life!

Well i guess Paul doesn't want to add to the recipe anymore so i'm off to work. Only 5 more weeks to Vegas ...i can't wait! CYA

Back
Top Bottom