Storage building

Fabricobbled it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210630_165424973_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210630_165424973_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 141
So...maybe tomorrow I'll start over cutting rafters the right length. Good thing is they are all too long. Some maybe 1/8" some almost an inch. Facing porch 14' length, the left side projected out from trailer 1/2" further than right. Warpage? Who knows. Again...I went about this thing all wrong. Cut rafters to fit what was there instead of framing it up SQUARE and going from there. But now I think I'm on the right track. Do need to buy a GOOD measuring tape. Cheap tapes are a waste of time if you are working alone. Just too floppy always rolling over. Been in the nineties last couple days with enough humidity to make you leak profusely. Going to trim a rafter and use it as pattern for rest. Like anyone with common sense wood do. <See the wood>that's a joke son...

Not feeling good at all. Get dizzy if head isn't dead level. Has stomach upset too. Did go out and futz with window A/C in living room. Last couple days sounds like a turbo spooling on start up. Hosed it out good with water hose and leveled it up side-to-side. Need to remove the window and some siding and rebuild window framing. That is a big part of my choice to do the porch myself. Need the tools and experience. Newer A/C window units are supposed to retain water in rear section. The fan picks it up and slings it on the condenser increasing efficiency. It had some pine needles in the sump. Really need to pull it and clean it out.

Leveling the A/C didn't make any difference in the sound. Gonna keep an eye out for another 12K BTU. This one is 3 or 4 years old. Actually prefer a 14K. That's about the largest 110V they make.

I think there is something in the fan. Maybe pull it tomorrow and see what a can find. Have an old toolbox that is perfect height to slide it out on and roll it out the door. Too heavy for me to fight it out door by myself.

Just shut it down and looked in it again. Don't see anything in the fan. Has a rattle at start up, then rumbles as it gradually ramps up Rpm. Tone is several octaves higher than normal. Happened overnight. Weird.

Have rafters up and mostly screwed. Ran out of screws with the head on the right end.

Attachments

• IMG_20210704_192400810_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210704_192400810_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 136
Have rafters up and mostly screwed. Ran out of screws with the head on the right end.
16 inches on center over 14 feet means one half sized. Put it at the rear. If can get nail gun to work without double firing (likely my incompetence) it'll be all done tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20210704_195951294.jpg
    IMG_20210704_195951294.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 145
As I always do...rafter at 8 foot mark is off half a board. They had two boards sistered together originally at 80 foot. I can still do the same. Took me probably an hour to slide 4 sheets of T1-11 on a roof that's maybe I'll feet high. Old back and scared make for slow work. But it's up there and only injury I sustained was an ant bite. Not nailed down yet. Figured out the nail gun. I had it in full auto. Switched it to one shot at a time. Doesn't fully set the nails. I'll see how it does on the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_20210705_101646483_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210705_101646483_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 135
Sistered in a 2x4. Have some of the sheeting nailed. Back was too stiff to get off the roof if I got on it. So I didn't. Worked around the edges.

Attachments

• IMG_20210705_202332534.jpg
    IMG_20210705_202332534.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 113
If I ever get the porch done then need to change shed roof to barn style with loft. Once I get better at wood butchery I'll dive into replacing trailer window. Requires removal of siding and replacing framing. Main thing I need to do is walk and stretch more. Lower back is just miserable. Seems to be mostly muscle tightness and weak abs. I know what I need to do. But making myself do it is another thing.

Just thought of a way to cut the overhang without climbing on top. Can slide one sheet over, then stand on ladder with circular saw between the rafters. Harder to explain than do. I hope. Still have to climb on the roof at some point. My problem is getting my feet back on the ladder. Chicken I am.

Not being friendly with heights is a problem. In my former life I had to climb ladders and was always apprehensive. To this day I do not know how I screwed up the courage to do some of the things I did off a ladder.

I had several jobs that required climbing, hanging out a window multiple stories in the air, and standing on top of a ladder balancing myself by grasping a window sill but none scared me as much as these two.

It was in the early '70's when I was called by an insurance company to replace a plate glass window on the second floor of a department store. The window install went from the outside and that presented a unique set of problems.
We debated scaffolding but it would not provide a wide enough platform to lift the glass to the second floor level.
I knew a guy who erected steel buildings and he had a truck with a scissors mounted bed that elevated the body and rented his truck for the day. We had to make a platform larger than the existing bed of the truck to accommodate the piece of glass and provide enough room for a man on each end to lift the glass into place.

Good thing OSHA wasn't watching because now I recall there were no safety rails. It was a wide open platform with three men and a large piece of glass working about twelve feet off the ground. PLUS, required the use of a four foot step ladder to remove and replace the top metal facia that held the glass in place.

This was labor intensive as it required six men to do the job. Three on the ground and three on the truck platform. The glass size was roughly eight feet wide by six feet high, 1/4 inch plate glass and weighed approx. 150 pounds. There was a man on each end and one in the middle lifting with a suction cup.
Got the truck on the sidewalk, and first order of business was to remove the broken glass. That wasn't too bad as we got a small section cleared could pass smaller pieces through to the inside. Once the opening was cleared and everything checked to replace the glass, we carried the sheet of glass up and onto the truck platform using staging.

Slowly elevated the platform and the thing was wobbly because of the height and scissoring losing stability the higher it got. This had all the ear marks of, "... a thousand things could go wrong," scenario.

We got the replacement glass in and after cleaning up and getting paperwork signed, went for a cold beer, or two. Maybe three .....:cheers:

The other job that scared me almost as much involved climbing and hanging on top of a ladder while juggling a piece of plate glass four feet wide and ten feet high!! It was in 1980, and my head was so into how we were going to handle the replacement, on the way to the job I was stopped for speeding. Luckily, I got off with a warning.

At least that replacement was only a foot off the ground but the kicker was, just as we cleared the opening of the broken glass, the wind came up. This created a different problem because the glass was so high and very narrow in width. It bent like a twig but luckily, we managed to get it in the opening without issue but I can tell you I was one concerned and scared pup as the install required me to be on top of ten foot ladder to trim the glass to fit the opening.

If there is any saving grace it was shortly after the install of the long thin plate glass, I hired an experienced glazier and my climbing days in the business world ended!!

(sigh) The things we do when we are young and trying to make our way in the world.

Since this has turned into a blog about my retirement as much as the shed repairs maybe I will explain what is next. Need to get off my ass and get in better shape. Have an inversion table but no room to leave it set-up. This is where the porch repair & shed updates come in. Need to clean off porch so can leave inversion table up. More room needed in shed for porch stuff. Also like having a work space for any small projects that pop up. Like the jumper pack I need to fix (tried to write reserect but both me and phone can't spell it). That's why I wanted electricity on porch. Anytime I get the urge, do whatever on the porch. In hindsight, should have finished the shed, first. I was hoping to shame the landlord into hiring someone to fix the porch. But she died to get out of it. (That's a poor taste joke but it's what I do). Actually...the porch wouldn't have actually gotten repaired by her help...it would have been "fixed". I'm repairing it. By doing porch first, it will force me to throw away 70% of the junk that had accumulated. THAT was why I stopped on shed and started on porch. Knew if I expanded shed I'd fill it with refuse. Walked to Hardee's at 630 this morning. Got back home by 730. Put lots of tools on roof. Thinking about climbing ladder locked my back up tighter than Dick's hatband. So I'm sitting in recliner with rolled up towel behind beltline. Try to go back out there after 430 when sun drops. I swear...one solid hour of work would finish roof. Then somebody will have to throw me a rope and pull me down...😏

Next step is get chalk line ready. Draw out rafter locations and mark. Cut 2 feet overhang off. Final nail sheeting. Wire brush trailer roof/sheeting interface area. Apply sticking gummy tape to that area. Nail on drip edge. Prime drip edge & section of trailer roof with asphalt adhesive. Throw roofing up on there and roll out four 14 feet sections. Just found out trailer is titled to dead landlords also dead son. Her other son is handling estate. Says it's all a mess. Nothing was done by 85 year old landlord to prepare for her demise. Her daughter was over yesterday. "Mom gave me her car but didn't do any of the paper work to make it legal. My plates are dead on my other car. Can't afford to get it fixed so it'll pass inspection. Can't get Mom's car legal either cause... paperwork." Another day of As The Stomach Turns.

Attachments

• IMG_20210706_105044033.jpg
    IMG_20210706_105044033.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20210706_105044033.jpg
    IMG_20210706_105044033.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 112
It's entirely possible this place will get sold on courthouse steps because landlord didn't have everything legal. Rent was cash. I'm sure didn't pay any taxes for years. It's a clusterfawk!😃

Not sure how it works for mobile homes. The park doesn't own the trailers. The address doesn't show up. Tried by his name. Nada. Maybe DMV?
Try address of trailer park. Good chance that is how it is listed.
You might never find it under the owners name because it is possible the property is in a trust.
We have a lady in this subdivision with twelve names on the deed of her unit.

Okay, so who owns the property the trailers are on? You lease from the property owner don't you? Doesn't the lady who owns the trailer also own the park?

Okay, so who owns the property the trailers are on? You lease from the property owner don't you? Doesn't the lady who owns the trailer also own the park?
I found the Park owners tax listing. He just rents lots. Doesn't own any of the trailers. My dead landlords dead son owned this trailer. I think. It's a clusterfawk. It was my understanding this was all being taken care of more than 6 months ago. Seems nothing was done. Only reason I spent all my stimulus money on the shed and tools to fix porch was because the place was supposed to be willed to me. My guess is...there is no will. I REALLY expect this to turn ugly. To be clear, the remaining family owe me nothing. Probably exactly what I'll get. Nothing. The one son that seems like a straight shooter wants to divest from the whole thing. He has his own money. Not about the money for him. But he also doesn't want to get screwed. So I wait.

I paid landlord. She paid land owner for 3 lots. Now I'll pay landowner, he'll take his cut then he'll pay remaining son, which will have to sort out where the rest of the money goes.

Finally tied, screwed & strapped ladder to front of porch. Climbed on and crawled around like a baby. Cut off overhang, trimmed a 14 foot section of the tongue & groove lip off. Need to make a filler piece about 5.5" wide full length of porch. Not sure why they didn't make the porch an even 8 feet? Nailed sheeting. If the rain doesn't start early tomorrow maybe I'll get the filler panel made and on. Man I'm useless at this stuff. Just terrified of falling. Once filler is on, all that's left is drip edge, three runs of roofing to be certain how far up on trailer roofing will go. Scrub/scrape/putty knife old roof coating as needed.

Probably buy a pressure washer to clean roof. Likely at Hazzard Fright. Saw one there for under 100 bucks. If it works enough to get roof done I'll be happy. Neighbor that volunteered to do it has been hiding. As I expected. The hurricane might do it for me.

NOW it looks like a trailer park. If I was offered a million dollars to do an 8 foot cut with a circular saw...I'd pass. Not possible. I'm not the cut on wrong side of line guy...nope! I'm a 1/4-1/2" on wrong side of line guy. Did I mention I suck at this stuff?😉 I have to make a 14 foot circular saw cut. Looking over the edge into the abyss. MAMA!😭😭😭 Still no idea why roof is 8 foot 5.5 inches. Stupid!

Attachments

• IMG_20210708_070306175.jpg
    IMG_20210708_070306175.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20210708_070324965.jpg
    IMG_20210708_070324965.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 118
The good thing about the long cut, I can cut it three times and it'll get LONGER! So maybe next trip up I'll screw down a couple 2x4 to use as a guide. Then the spacer will be 6" or a foot depending on how many times I do it wrong. Do need to try different blade. Have fine tooth on saw. I'll give it a whack with a 4 tooth blade. <😉>

Damn KTMLew01, I don't know what I'll do once you finish this project. Reading you tomes has brought many a smile to my face. Almost sad to learn the end of the project is near. What's next??

Damn KTMLew01, I don't know what I'll do once you finish this project. Reading you tomes has brought many a smile to my face. Almost sad to learn the end of the project is near. What's next??
Still have to expand the shed. But first need to take out a mortgage for the 2x4's and sheets of T1-11. 😉

So...tarp leaks less than old roof. Poured right over door before. I'll pull tarp tomorrow and let everything dry out for day or two. Finish roof sheeting, drip edge, stuff some goop in sheeting to trailer interface after it's good and dry. Then it's rolling out peel & stick roofing. Need to make some temp supports for gutter out of pieces of 2x4. Forgot need to rework gutter where I took it apart. It was screwed together. Probably use rivets. I'm learning as I go.

Attachments

• IMG_20210708_085417077.jpg
    IMG_20210708_085417077.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20210708_085422256.jpg
    IMG_20210708_085422256.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 111
How did you make out with the hurricane? Daughter lives by Leesville High School and said the house my Bride and I used to own had a major washout from runoff of adjoining properties. She sent me a photo and it was pretty bad. Too much water too fast and no place to go I guess. Never had serious issues when we lived there. Understand there were flash flood warnings in the area. Any of that get near you?

Back
Top Bottom