Storage building

How did you make out with the hurricane? Daughter lives by Leesville High School and said the house my Bride and I used to own had a major washout from runoff of adjoining properties. She sent me a photo and it was pretty bad. Too much water too fast and no place to go I guess. Never had serious issues when we lived there. Understand there were flash flood warnings in the area. Any of that get near you?
Just rain here. Of course after several hours porch was soaked. It's uncovered drying out now. Might be more thunderstorms coming this evening.

Been raining every day. Still need to get the 14 foot cut done right, then cut some plywood to fill that area. Head is screwed up. About fell three time yesterday just walking around.

Crew taking down some trees. Hired one of them to finish porch Saturday morning. I surrender.

Attachments

• IMG_20210715_085332841.jpg
    IMG_20210715_085332841.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 132
He gone. It's done. More or less. Definitely NOT a Master Carpenter. But he wasn't afraid to do it. Did about 8 things technically wrong but it can't leak worse than it did. I suspect he's never used peel & stick underlayment. Nailed it around perimeter, then put mastic over nails. Couldn't seem to grasp that this roofing has an upper edge & lower. Overlap is supposed to be 3 inches. That 3 inches doesn't have granules. That way it's smooth when overlapped and the seams stick together better. He ran the last two strips bassackwards. The smooth section is out in the sun. I didn't get a roller to help make it stick. Only thing left is to hang the gutters. Maybe this evening.

Supposed to spray asphalt adhesive on drip edge to help roofing to stick and drip edge installation I found, if going directly on sheeting, used mastic UNDER it to prevent water infiltration into sheeting. Drip edge is too tight against framing. I'll slip flashing up behind it so water goes into gutter. Just haven't figured out how to do gutter alone.

I had a roll of mastic tape about 2" wide. Planned to use it to help fill the gap between sheeting and trailer roof. He unrolled 15 feet of it, pulled the paper off and promptly had it stuck to his legs/shoes/itself the house next door, etc. Not sure why he didn't stick one end ON THE ROOF, then unroll and go back and pull paper while pressing mastic in to groove. It was actually funny...but I turned away and busied myself with something else...swear I didn't laugh.

I asked, first thing, about inserting blocking under that section so it had better support. That's the first place wind will try to pickup roofing and where you step on it getting on/off. Nope. Doesn't need it. You have to see this ****. He cut plywood 4.5 inches and lined it up with outer edge of roof face board. No idea why he didn't either recut another piece or attach the board back from edge. Drip edge would have covered it. Nope. Cut strips and kinda nailed them in.

Attachments

• IMG_20210717_171237492.jpg
    IMG_20210717_171237492.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20210717_171249924.jpg
    IMG_20210717_171249924.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 131
Bottom of picture is plywood insert, top is T1-11 sheeting. I HAD two 4x2 sections of T1-11. Could have used that. Nope. Cut 4.5 inches off NEW SHEET of 1/2" plywood. Not 5.5 inches. 4.5 inches. No idea what he was thinking but since already killed new sheet why not cut 6 more?😂

So...when I'm calmer...will cut 2x4"s & 2x6's to make blocking so it has some support. Probably buy roll Cap Sheet roofing next month, build a railing around upper part of porch, put my old dirt bike helmet on and redo it myself.

First pass was just a sprinkle. Now comes the 45mph winds and pouring rain. Went out and stuck the gutters on, in the dark. Need to split the drip edge where he bent it around corner. TIGHT around corner. I'll try slipping flashing behind it to help get the water in the gutter. Hung a temporary light so didn't have to keep doing jazz hands for motion detector light.

Attachments

• IMG_20210718_210214873.jpg
    IMG_20210718_210214873.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20210718_210247427.jpg
    IMG_20210718_210247427.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20210718_210222593.jpg
    IMG_20210718_210222593.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
First pass was just a sprinkle. Now comes the 45mph winds and pouring rain. Went out and stuck the gutters on, in the dark. Need to split the drip edge where he bent it around corner. TIGHT around corner. I'll try slipping flashing behind it to help get the water in the gutter. Hung a temporary light so didn't have to keep doing jazz hands for motion detector light.
The 2x4s were to hold it up so I didn't have to. Have the short run about 80 behind drip edge. Long section is just up there and screwed to facia. Need to reseal corner and screw it together.

It's just slid up in. Need to peel back about foot of roofing to replace the one hacked board. That whole section is too flat. Need to narrow the boards so they don't reach facia. Or remove them and bevel the facia to match roof angle. This is my error. Amateur hour. Will attach it permanently then.

Hanging on my new not leaking porch. My view.

Attachments

• IMG_20210720_122322728.jpg
    IMG_20210720_122322728.jpg
    984.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20210720_122254450.jpg
    IMG_20210720_122254450.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 113
Damn sunshine is POURING on porch from where the tumor was located. Need to get some heavy plastic to cover that end of porch as most rain comes from that direction.

Signed up for AT&T 5 dollar a month, slooooooow (1.5mb) data capped internet. Also signed up at GetBroadband.org for faster/less restrictive service. It's like the ACA subsidy. It pays up to 50 bucks a month of your internet bill. Checked with Spectrum. Seems their billing is skewed. Your "due date" is half way thru the billing cycle. I shut it off Jun 10th. Payment due date was 8th but the billing cycle was from 19th to 19th. Cornfused yet? Not pro-rated either. So I owe a full month even though wasn't using it. Owe $169.63. I'll pay it next month and then we done.

OK. Apparently it's IPBB technology. Never heard of it. Still appears to be at slowest end of the spectrum.

Looks like it's slightly faster than basic DSL.

For reference phone hotspot does 72Mbps. Slooooooow! Very close to useless. Maybe twice as fast as slow if that makes sense. Basically triple the speed of dial-up. But we talking about 5 bucks a month. I would happily pay 50 bucks for 200 download. We shall see what the options are after it's set-up. I think I CAN upgrade. Want to use Sling.

Listed tools & toolboxes on Facebook Marketplace. So far basically no interest. One guy offered 30 bucks for a set of Snap On line wrenches. Six wrenches in plastic tray. 30 bucks. I bet I can double that at pawn shop. I suspect a large % of my stuff will get sold as scrap metal.

Been using inversion table on the porch. You would think that would make my head spin. Nope. Seems soon as roof got done the dizziness and back spasms were relieved. Psychosomatic? Always been a little psycho but this is different. Gonna finish attaching gutters and let roof blow off whenever. By then I should have a few bucks together to hire a REAL carpenter to redo it. Worst case replace sheeting.

Scrub-a-dub-dubbed the tub today. Need to scrape the clear silicone they used out and redo.

Attachments

• IMG_20210723_112530017.jpg
    IMG_20210723_112530017.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 118
Essentially no action on tools. As expected. One guy showed up and touched 8 things...how much for this? How much for this? How much for this? Finally told him, pick out what you want and I'll give you a price. Nope. One at a time. Nope. I ain't got time for that. If I paid 75 dollars for a tool that had obviously never been used what is it worth? 2 dollars? I don't know what he expected. I ran him off. No dollar tools here. I have probably 15 specialty tools, did a job hard way, bought tool. Never used it. Is it new or used? Did it depreciate 95% because it's been in my toolbox? I think NOT! I'll just let them sit. Maybe occasionally take a few to pawn shop and turn them into a 50 dollar bill. Eventually get the big box cleaned out and sell it to pawn shop too. There is no panic.

Federal Excrement outdid itself. Up & running! Posting from computer while "Slinging" on Smart TV. Got the total Sling package that's 50 bucks month with 200 hrs DVR and 90ish) channels. Introductory $25 a month. Not sure how long but with 5 dollar internet doesn't matter. The streaming thing, for me, is a pain in the buttocks. But it's more-so the tiny no-buttons Roku Smart TV remote. Have to figure out what to touch...

Video quality is what you would expect from 5 dollar connection. Actually if you change channel, starts off kinda grainy but eventually catches up. I'm mostly concerned with keeping the PC working. 90% of my concentration is on computer. Phone didn't want to work with it. Doesn't matter though.

Have Sling Orange & Blue and the upgraded DVR. Might add Showtime @ $5 month.

Use arrow buttons surrounding OK to open guide. Use arrow button at top of remote to change tabs across top. My Tv/Guide/Sports/OnDemand/Rent/Search/Settings

Up/down goes up/down the guide after using down button to open the guide. It's juuuuust a little confusing for old folks. But I'm gaining on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210726_173456114.jpg
    IMG_20210726_173456114.jpg
    884.9 KB · Views: 109
LOL! Just connected phone and TV thru out a big cloud of smoke...well not actual smoke but I went into buffering mode. So TV & PC are max load. 5 bucks a month. Can't beat it!

Facebook rejected the ad for tools/toolboxes after it had been up a week. I removed ALL the things I had for-sale and deactivated my account. HATE that site to start with.

Need to find address where I can turn this AT&T stuff in. Got up this morning to find all 86 LEDS flashing some sort of code out on modem. Had to unplug and wait 15 minutes for it to reboot. It WILL NOT run TV/PC & phone at same time. Can sometimes do two at a time. So...tomorrow pay Spectrum bill and sign up for Internet only. Return AT&T stuff. Back has been out for about 10 days. Much better this morning. Really need a new mattress.

Back
Top Bottom