Superstar Racing Experience

Two of the biggest names in auto racing — NASCAR hall of famers Ray Evernham and Tony Stewart — will launch an auto racing circuit that has the potential to be the biggest disrupter to the auto racing business in decades.With top agent Sandy Montag and former NASCAR COO George Pyne rounding out the four-person board, Superstar Racing Experience (SRX) will feature six short-track races starting next summer.

SRX already has a TV deal in place with CBS, which has committed to carry the Saturday night races in prime time next year. The CBS deal runs for multiple years.

Read more at:

Yea I think the TV deal is huge for them, that in theory should add some legitimacy behind the project. But does CBS mean actual CBS or the CBS Sports network which maybe some don’t get. I don’t know but the TV Deal is the first hurdle cleared. Next you have to get some manufactures to commit, then tracks to commit....then figure out who is going to drive (what if we get that Jeff Gordon/Ray Evernham reunion). That’s all assuming they have cash flow, investments and sponsors willing to foot some bills. But I will say this intrigues me the most because In his past dealings, Tony Stewart not only knows how he to use his own money but get others to open their pockets as well. I hope this works out and is something of a more traditional series (no playoffs, stages, high hp low downforce) for the very reason I can never turn down more racing on TV

@AndyMarquisLive will be all like:

buggs bunny heart beat fast gif.gif

Here's some more information about it.

I like that this is being done by Tony Stewart. He'll sink as much effort and energy into it as it's possible for him to give (evident given this is all coming together during a time of economic uncertainty). I also like this will be done on true short tracks. Let's throw a 1/4 mile into the mix.

I am a little hesitant given this quote-
The races are designed to keep viewers interested throughout, with two 45-minute heats and no pit stops.

What does this mean? A race split into two 45 minute segments? That's a lot of time at a short track. If you're running 15 second lap times that's 180 laps per "heat". How will they keep things competitive and interesting for potentially 300+ laps with only 12 cars?

I like that this is being done by Tony Stewart. He'll sink as much effort and energy into it as it's possible for him to give (evident given this is all coming together during a time of economic uncertainty). I also like this will be done on true short tracks. Let's throw a 1/4 mile into the mix.

What does this mean? A race split into two 45 minute segments? That's a lot of time at a short track. If you're running 15 second lap times that's 180 laps per "heat". How will they keep things competitive and interesting for potentially 300+ laps with only 12 cars?
Got to figure cautions and commercials into the mix

Given the folks involved, and the concept they’re pursuing, I’m on board. Sounds pretty cool.

This looks fantastic Seems like a similar concept to IROC

Yea, I don't know why they're limiting it to 12 drivers. They really should do the old and tried format of qualifying, Heat 1: Ten laps or so, top five advances. Heat 2: same thing. LCQ: 20 laps, top 2 advances. Then the A main which could be 40 laps.

I really don't know why people outside of dirt racing always try the water down approach to heat racing. I mean yes, some drivers aren't going to make it to the main, that's kind of the point of racing your way in.

“A focus on driver performance, rather than auto technology. Evernham will design the cars so that everyone races with the same equipment.

Curious about what they mean by auto technology. The cars NASCAR use are still reliant driver performance instead of technology, but the aero-engineering has gotten in it’s way.

If all of the ERX cars are the same, does that mean they cannot have custom setups?

“It will include racers and crew chiefs who are well known.”

Well known to who?

“It is being positioned as an easier sale for sponsors that want to buy time on TV and at the event.”

This is what I really like. For about a decade NASCAR has priced themselves out of the market for average joe sponsors.

Yea, I don't know why they're limiting it to 12 drivers. They really should do the old and tried format of qualifying, Heat 1: Ten laps or so, top five advances. Heat 2: same thing. LCQ: 20 laps, top 2 advances. Then the A main which could be 40 laps.

I really don't know why people outside of dirt racing always try the water down approach to heat racing. I mean yes, some drivers aren't going to make it to the main, that's kind of the point of racing your way in.

I went to an open asphalt modified show that had a solid draw of 37 cars. 26 were supposed to qualify. 4 heats and 2 consis later a big-time driver didn't make it into the show. The promoter said "f*** it" and gave a provisional to any car not totally damaged in the heats/consis to let them start the feature. So in the end 3 guys that didn't qualify started the race while 8 guys who tore their cars up trying to get into qualified positions went home even though had they just finished they would've been "gifted" a starting spot.

This is what I really like. For about a decade NASCAR has priced themselves out of the market for average joe sponsors.

I disagree. Sponsors don't want to spend the $$$. What's great about NASCAR is all the different price points sponsors have. If I called up Rick Ware and told him to put my name in size 8 font on the right rear quarter panel for next weekend's race I could do it for $$$ measured in three digits.

Sponsors don't want to spend 10s of millions of $$$ on a full-season sponsorship because there's no ROI simply due to changing advertising techniques.

I went to an open asphalt modified show that had a solid draw of 37 cars. 26 were supposed to qualify. 4 heats and 2 consis later a big-time driver didn't make it into the show. The promoter said "f*** it" and gave a provisional to any car not totally damaged in the heats/consis to let them start the feature. So in the end 3 guys that didn't qualify started the race while 8 guys who tore their cars up trying to get into qualified positions went home even though had they just finished they would've been "gifted" a starting spot.

That is so stupid.

This is very intriguing. I'm guessing that they're keeping it down to 12 drivers to limit the amount of equipment that needs to be prepared, you have to remember that these cars will likely be all built out of the same shop and you'll need spares.

The concept of no live pit stops saves a ton of money. Common cars between everyone saves even more money as no one is spending millions chasing aero or motor.

Honestly given the people involved this has a lot of potential.

I disagree. Sponsors don't want to spend the $$$. What's great about NASCAR is all the different price points sponsors have. If I called up Rick Ware and told him to put my name in size 8 font on the right rear quarter panel for next weekend's race I could do it for $$$ measured in three digits.

Sponsors don't want to spend 10s of millions of $$$ on a full-season sponsorship because there's no ROI simply due to changing advertising techniques.
I apologize but my statement was not an opinion.

Very EXCITING to say the least! Looking forward to this concept... honestly having Ray Evernham and Tony Stewart working to put it together sounds like a winning combo to me!

good move for CBS because their sports schedule outside of the NFL, NCAA tournament and PGA are pretty thin and especially thin in the Summer

Greg Biffle! Daniel Hemric! And ten more that you might (or might not) have ever heard of!

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but this sounds like an illicit love child between IROC and Robbie Gordon's stadium trucks. I just have a hard time getting excited about a deal where a promoter owns the cars and assigns them out for the night. And a random draw for crew chief assignments? LOL.

2 45 min heats,no pit stops.no bs
Yea I think the TV deal is huge for them, that in theory should add some legitimacy behind the project. But does CBS mean actual CBS or the CBS Sports network which maybe some don’t get. I don’t know but the TV Deal is the first hurdle cleared. Next you have to get some manufactures to commit, then tracks to commit....then figure out who is going to drive (what if we get that Jeff Gordon/Ray Evernham reunion). That’s all assuming they have cash flow, investments and sponsors willing to foot some bills. But I will say this intrigues me the most because In his past dealings, Tony Stewart not only knows how he to use his own money but get others to open their pockets as well. I hope this works out and is something of a .more traditional series (no playoffs, stages, high hp low downforce) for the very reason I can never turn down more racing on TV

I wonder if Tony is gonna get behind the wheel of one of these bad boys. I would love to see him, Gordon, JJ, maybe Jr for some star power. Then Some of the Indy guys, Newgarden for sure. And maybe Sebastian Vettel, he might not have a whole lot going on next year. Needless to say this series is getting me optimistic about another series to consumer racing from.

“A focus on driver performance, rather than auto technology. Evernham will design the cars so that everyone races with the same equipment.

Curious about what they mean by auto technology. The cars NASCAR use are still reliant driver performance instead of technology, but the aero-engineering has gotten in it’s way.

If all of the ERX cars are the same, does that mean they cannot have custom setups?

“It will include racers and crew chiefs who are well known.”

Well known to who?

“It is being positioned as an easier sale for sponsors that want to buy time on TV and at the event.”

It probably means Elon Musk will build the cars with self driving technology. :)

I wonder if Tony is gonna get behind the wheel of one of these bad boys. I would love to see him, Gordon, JJ, maybe Jr for some star power. Then Some of the Indy guys, Newgarden for sure. And maybe Sebastian Vettel, he might not have a whole lot going on next year. Needless to say this series is getting me optimistic about another series to consumer racing from.
Tony is driving..how about Evernham and Gordon..wonder if anybody would watch that? ;)

I'd like to see a mix of guys with dirt and pavement backgrounds and other styles as well like get Ron Capps out there with them.

Back
Top Bottom