Texas Bonehead

I'll give it to nascar for being stumped by fan question as to why the crews don't have the ability to jack up just the rear or front of the car on a pit stop.

Quin Houff but a close second to the fellow in an office who decided the Q&A segments with Rut would be a good idea.

I gotta go with whoever at NBC decided we needed Q&A segments, then not giving Rutledge Wood decent audio equipment and not suggesting he work in a room with less echo.

Rutledge Wood was wearing a professional clip-on lavalier microphone, but it did not sound like the audio was coming from that. It sounded like the audio was coming from a crappy laptop microphone instead.

What might happen if Rick Allen and Quin Houff traded roles... :lol2:

Rutledge Wood was wearing a professional clip-on lavalier microphone, but it did not sound like the audio was coming from that. It sounded like the audio was coming from a crappy laptop microphone instead.
I wonder if he had the communications app misconfigured and it was using the wrong input? I see that daily.

**** Quinn Houff. Was wondering how the 12 car was going to have the dub stolen. 00 car is going on the bingo card from now on.

Such bull****

Houff...of course. But have to give special mention to the 47 and 41 for making poor decisions that turned a two car incident into an eight car mess. Neither one of them slowed while Truex was already coming back up the track backwards. Of course that is Ricky's MO, but Custer... hope someone educates him on avoidance and not to follow Ricky's lead.

4-tire gang

Don’t be mystified when you lose track position and clean air and watch the guys on old tires pull away from the front row when the previous 300+ laps showed tire wear was minimal. Each time Dillon would pull away while the others slowed each other down battling for position.

Anyone who took tires

when no tires out runs 4 tires
the tires are too hard
Not sure why Harvick always has to have 4 new tires, even if he only has a handful of laps on the old ones. Puts him back in traffic every time where he seems to get stuck.

I'll give it to nascar for being stumped by fan question as to why the crews don't have the ability to jack up just the rear or front of the car on a pit stop.
I dont understand, who asked that question and who was answering?

00, everyone who took 4 tires, and Jimmie Johnson for pounding the wall with what was the fastest car up to that point in the race.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I dont understand, who asked that question and who was answering?
I was being a little sarcastic but it was a question from a new viewer that Steve took instead of Rut. Viewer wanted to know why they couldn't change just fronts are just backs instead of left and rights. Steve said they should look into how they can do that or something or other

I was being a little sarcastic but it was a question from a new viewer that Steve took instead of Rut. Viewer wanted to know why they couldn't change just fronts are just backs instead of left and rights. Steve said they should look into how they can do that or something or other
Apparently that question came from someone that's never watched a race. How would you lift BOTH rear tires off the ground with one jack that allows the suspension to droop? Must droop or can't get tires out of wheel wells. I suppose they could add a jack post under rear of frame but it would require a jack that lifts much further than the current. If doing one side at a time...ummmm? They now do front and rear in same time it takes to do one end. Just a stupid question. Yes it's possible to ask a stupid question.

you would just need a jack post in the back, like they have on the side of the cars.ive pitted for allot of racecars that we only changed the rears.:eek:

Apparently that question came from someone that's never watched a race. How would you lift BOTH rear tires off the ground with one jack that allows the suspension to droop? Must droop or can't get tires out of wheel wells. I suppose they could add a jack post under rear of frame but it would require a jack that lifts much further than the current. If doing one side at a time...ummmm? They now do front and rear in same time it takes to do one end. Just a stupid question. Yes it's possible to ask a stupid question.
No, it's not a stupid question.

Imagine you know nothing about racing counter-clockwise on an oval. You don't know that the right side tires wear out before the lefts. What you do likely know is that when the tires are rotated on your street car, they swap fronts and rears to even out the wear. You may (mistakenly) think tire wear on a 'stock' car is the same as your street car, with the front tires wearing more because they do all the work. In that case, wondering about changing just fronts or rears is a reasonable question.

Steve's mistake was not reasoning through WHY someone would ask that question. He or Rut or someone should have explained how the tire wear differs between sides on 'stock cars', not front and rear like the street cars they superficially resemble. The viewer would have learned why no one is interested in changing just fronts or rears, and thus why no one wants to jack the car that way.

No, it's not a stupid question.

Imagine you know nothing about racing counter-clockwise on an oval. You don't know that the right side tires wear out before the lefts. What you do likely know is that when the tires are rotated on your street car, they swap fronts and rears to even out the wear. You may (mistakenly) think tire wear on a 'stock' car is the same as your street car, with the front tires wearing more because they do all the work. In that case, wondering about changing just fronts or rears is a reasonable question.

Steve's mistake was not reasoning through WHY someone would ask that question. He or Rut or someone should have explained how the tire wear differs between sides on 'stock cars', not front and rear like the street cars they superficially resemble. The viewer would have learned why no one is interested in changing just fronts or rears, and thus why no one wants to jack the car that way.

It solves a lot of ?? when he was a crew chief.

Steve actually said something about just changing rears could be good for place like Martinsville

It solves a lot of ?? when he was a crew chief.
Yeah, and just re-emphasizes the question of why he's in the booth. Maybe he was tossed the question cold, instead of someone at the commercial saying, 'Hey, Steve, we got a jack question for ya in the next segment; here it is ...."

I cannot remember the details to save my life, but I swear I recall Harry Hyde changing rears only on the 25 car one time.

no one saying kybu for trying to squeeze his car in a small hole?
When Kyle made his move Logano and Harvick were practically going backwards and the ‘small hole’ was big enough for two cars. It tightened up quickly as they went round the turn but that wreck was on the 12 for running too hard and having to go high to save it plus the 10 and the 1 for resulting contact.

IOW if everyone had held their positions as consistent as the 18 they all get through it.

That was a hell of a move and pure racing.

All the fans who just had to run down and crowd the fence during the red flag.
20200719_184846.jpg

I cannot remember the details to save my life, but I swear I recall Harry Hyde changing rears only on the 25 car one time.
Not a cup race but: Bob Senneker won an ASA rules type of race in 1980s with a pit stop for rear tires only.
Senneker obviously knows about racing than I could ever dream of knowing but I would always want a new right front on almost any tire change at a short track. He had to be incredibly smooth entering the corners and all about exit speed to make it work.

Note: I did not see the pit stop. My bother saw the race and pit stop at the old Jeffco speedway in Georgia.

Back
Top Bottom