The Announcers Thread

Australian english
084.png

I don't watch postrace but I haven't got around to flipping the channel yet.

Looks like NBCSN is taking notes from MSNBC. They've got two people in a studio, then go to the guys in the booth, then have a segment where all their pit reporters talking about the race and everything.

I hope they listen to the mostly positive feedback from today and keep taking unconventional approaches to their coverage.

I'm a fan of a The Bagman, all the MRN guys are top shelf IMO. A treat to have him on today's broadcast

I LOVED the announcing strategy for Watkins Glen. The live reporting from the corners really
kept my interest and were entertaining.
And Leigh Diffey is outstanding in the booth ---- makes Rick Allen sound like an amateur.

I LOVED the announcing strategy for Watkins Glen. The live reporting from the corners really
kept my interest and were entertaining.
And Leigh Diffey is outstanding in the booth ---- makes Rick Allen sound like an amateur.
There is a reason F1 broadcasts sound 100x more professional than NASCAR broadcasts...Leigh has a lot to do with that. He is outstanding at calling races.

Last edited:
There are a reason F1 broadcasts sound 100x more professional than NASCAR broadcasts...Leigh has a lot to do with that. He is outstanding at calling races.
He has more than just key phrases.

Green flag back in the air

Around goes driver

Down the backstretch they go

We have problems

Major chase implications

Sums up Rick Allen.

I really enjoyed having all the different announcers, it really confirmed just how bad Burton is.
Diffey was refreshingly different and by having so many it kept Letart to a minimum.

Diffey is very professional, and does a good job in a technical sense. But come on folks, someone who is more comfortable with F1 doesn't need to be calling NASCAR. It is just a weird fit. Almost like if you would have flipped to a F1 race a few years back and had Buddy Baker and Ned Jarrett on air. Just doesn't fit.

Overall, I like FOX much better than NBC. Allen overhype's the simplest of things. Burton is well, Burton. And Letarte just seems in over his head. Personally, I would rather see Kyle Petty back in the booth. He is not afraid to criticize, and you never know what he may say next.

Diffey is very professional, and does a good job in a technical sense. But come on folks, someone who is more comfortable with F1 doesn't need to be calling NASCAR. It is just a weird fit. Almost like if you would have flipped to a F1 race a few years back and had Buddy Baker and Ned Jarrett on air. Just doesn't fit.

Overall, I like FOX much better than NBC. Allen overhype's the simplest of things. Burton is well, Burton. And Letarte just seems in over his head. Personally, I would rather see Kyle Petty back in the booth. He is not afraid to criticize, and you never know what he may say next.

As I said he needs to stick to F1 and that exactly what I felt like I was watching when he spoke. Myself I like Allen and think he's the best NASCAR announcer behind Mike Joy.

Call me crazy but I liked the crew. Felt like a f1 race by times

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I totally agree Chex. There is way to much talking going on in the booth and most of it is just to prevent dead air time. It seams to me they are trying to fill in the whole race with anything BUT the racing. Spots like Rutledge, going to the Cut away car and worst of all " we stopped showing this race to remind you of what happened 5 years ago at this very tract".
I will be happy when they finally get a producer who likes racing and gets it figured out that people actually tune in to see today's race.

So far the most annoying thing with NBC is when they come back from commercial they spend minutes talking about sponsors & then showing replays if what we missed while at commercial, then 8-10 laps of actual live race coverage later they are back at commercial.

IMO the concept of the broadcast at WG was fine but the execution was awful. Diffey is great but the the others guys all seeing if they could reach octaves higher than Mariah Carey and Pat Benatar each time their pie hole was open caused me to hit the mute. It also didn't help when Burton was in the middle of saying how hard it was to pass JMc while Truex went around him like he was standing still.

IMO the concept of the broadcast at WG was fine but the execution was awful. Diffey is great but the the others guys all seeing if they could reach octaves higher than Mariah Carey and Pat Benatar each time their pie hole was open caused me to hit the mute. It also didn't help when Burton was in the middle of saying how hard it was to pass JMc while Truex went around him like he was standing still.

Can't stand Jeff or Steve

SCREAMING DOENST GET YOUR POINT ACROSS

I totally agree Chex. There is way to much talking going on in the booth and most of it is just to prevent dead air time. It seams to me they are trying to fill in the whole race with anything BUT the racing. Spots like Rutledge, going to the Cut away car and worst of all " we stopped showing this race to remind you of what happened 5 years ago at this very tract".
I will be happy when they finally get a producer who likes racing and gets it figured out that people actually tune in to see today's race.

They are trying to make uneventful moments in the race seem less boring to a different demographic. By doing that they are attempting to keep those fans engaged. All the different cameras, all the switching from this view to that view, the conversation, the cut away car, and the slick graphics are attempts by NBC/Fox to keep people from changing the channel that aren't used to 30 mins of watching cars turn left and nothing else happening.

You must really dislike Mr. Allen then.;)
Every one of them. Yeah, it's easier to just hate all the announcers instead of picking and choosing. Too bad they don't offer an announcer free version of the broadcast yet still provide the sights and sounds of the track.

If national accents determine your preference for announcers rather than knowledge of the sport, Im not sure what to tell you.

I don't need you to tell me anything. Rick Allen will be back next week and that's great. Enjoy your F1 Australian.

They are trying to make uneventful moments in the race seem less boring to a different demographic. By doing that they are attempting to keep those fans engaged. All the different cameras, all the switching from this view to that view, the conversation, the cut away car, and the slick graphics are attempts by NBC/Fox to keep people from changing the channel that aren't used to 30 mins of watching cars turn left and nothing else happening.

I felt that way while watching the WG race as very simple and regular racing action was being treated like it was someone wobbling on a high wire across Niagara Falls. Get a grip guys!

Good grief. Good thing some of these fans weren't watching NASCAR in the 80's when CBS used David Hobbs in their broadcasts.
I've watched old races on YouTube and wondered why is the F1 guy doing NASCAR races? Was he that bad?

The concept was the same as MRN has been doing for years. And MRN does make every move seem more exciting. I think they were trying to duplicate that excitement. Downside, I had to mute the TV a few times because I found the constant yapping at double speed irritating. When they calmed down some, it was a lot better for me. There has got to be a happy medium please!

The concept was the same as MRN has been doing for years. And MRN does make every move seem more exciting. I think they were trying to duplicate that excitement. Downside, I had to mute the TV a few times because I found the constant yapping at double speed irritating. When they calmed down some, it was a lot better for me. There has got to be a happy medium please!

When I was a kid and only had radio to keep up with sports there were announcers that could make watching grass grow keep you on the edge of your seat lol. It doesn't translate well to television as when your eyes can see what is happening is not extraordinary and you have guys yelling like the Loch Ness Monster has made an appearance it is insulting and makes no sense, IMO.

Reactions: Pat
Can't stand Bagley. Shut off the sound when they went to the corner stuff. Kligerman doesn't do anything for me, and I don't think Burton added anything.

You guys realize that these announcers especially at road coarses like that have to speak over the cars so they can be heard which gets interpreted as excitement due to the speaking loud. Of course I'm all for the excitement that an announcer brings and its one of the reasons I like Rick Allen so much.

Back
Top Bottom