The Announcers Thread

Rick Allen is terrible. Jeff Burton loves to hear himself talk. Idk if you could get 3 higher pitched voices than Burton, JR and Letarte when something exciting happens. NBC blows. The second half of the season is where MRN and PRN come in handy.

Is it just me, or have the networks cranked up the volume of the race noise at the expense of the announcers? I noticed it at the last Fox race at Sonoma, and I have noticed it on the NBC races. It seems like I am having a lot more trouble hearing what the announcers are saying over the roar.

Jr. isn't that bad, imo. Rick Allen has his moments. Jeff Burton is the one that grinds my gears, lol. Some of the stuff he's been saying lately leaves me sitting in front of the computer or in the recliner looking at the screen all like

OTV7ujA.png

It's today's directors and producers. They try to interject fake enthusiasm in everything like they do in reality shows. Hysterics is becoming the norm in the booth and it's awful.
THAT is the #1 problem today in all TV. It seems in many shows the more ridiculous it is the more popular it is. What they don't understand is racing is serious business and the true fans have to much $$$$ invested for it to become a hyper show.

I always have to remind myself, they aren't announcing for us (true fans) -- it's for the casual/new race fans. If it doesn't sound exiting or difficult, it won't hold casual or potential fans attention.

Remember the "good old days" -- Bob, Benny, & Ned: "the car is loose when .....", race-after-race. I remember a discussion I had with Buddy (Baker) one time about why he would say "the car just accelerates when it hits the wet grass!" I asked him why he said that and he said, "I know it doesn't accelerate -- just trying to explain the visual effect the fans see -- kind of an optical illusion."

Be interesting to sit in on a NBC production meeting and listen to how they want the announcing team to present the race. I would bet there would be "keep it exciting even when it isn't" heard quite often.

I always have to remind myself, they aren't announcing for us (true fans) -- it's for the casual/new race fans. If it doesn't sound exiting or difficult, it won't hold casual or potential fans attention.

Remember the "good old days" -- Bob, Benny, & Ned: "the car is loose when .....", race-after-race. I remember a discussion I had with Buddy (Baker) one time about why he would say "the car just accelerates when it hits the wet grass!" I asked him why he said that and he said, "I know it doesn't accelerate -- just trying to explain the visual effect the fans see -- kind of an optical illusion."

Be interesting to sit in on a NBC production meeting and listen to how they want the announcing team to present the race. I would bet there would be "keep it exciting even when it isn't" heard quite often.

great point. I call it smarter than the dog, or what I was taught in speech class and technical writing, know your audience level. Jr this year seems to be focused on the racing, who's drafting who, how it is done, how the car's are handling, the fun stuff. He has quit a lot of the parroting of points matter DRAMA it seems like to me. Rick has backed off a bit with the yelling, and Burton so far and I mean so far hasn't been giving out the Dr. Phil's what the driver is thinking guesses as much. I think they have done some homework

Yeah, but its gonna be a post race call in show, NBC is doubling down on these for some reason.

Nascar always do victory lap when its not a night race or the race is delayed. so its nothing new they just added the call in feature this year

Nascar always do victory lap when its not a night race or the race is delayed. so its nothing new they just added the call in feature this year
Who was the host before? Think they had a different blonde. Says Carolyn Manno & Brian Vickers. Guess a staffing change. So far i'm not impressed. Lots of trying to be cute by the guys. Meh.

Rick Allen is terrible. Jeff Burton loves to hear himself talk. Idk if you could get 3 higher pitched voices than Burton, JR and Letarte when something exciting happens. NBC blows. The second half of the season is where MRN and PRN come in handy.

You just gotta love Jr. though. When the 3 blew a tire at NH and the camera showed it worn so badly that the cord was missing in spots, he said "man, they wore that thing right down to the air!"

Yeah , I agree. Great guys , but the shrillness of the yelling x3 is really unbearable. RA has a great sounding voice, just don't understand some of what he says.

I wish it was Bestwick, Letarte, Dale Jr. Even Allen, Letarte, Dale Jr would be good. Move Jeff to a different TV role.

Ya know what I wish? I wish they would think before they speak. I noticed today they were calling out drivers names doing this or that, but seldom did they say what position they were in, or when they pitted, they were just yelling like a bunch of drama queens. Most of it was wrong anyway, just filler.

Ya know what I wish? I wish they would think before they speak. I noticed today they were calling out drivers names doing this or that, but seldom did they say what position they were in, or when they pitted, they were just yelling like a bunch of drama queens. Most of it was wrong anyway, just filler.
I noticed Burton made many blunders in naming the driver.
This ridiculous rendition of excitement is all on the shoulders of the NBC Director
and the fans who tune in to watch it. Need a boy-caught for one race to get NBC's attention to what fans want.

I quite enjoy Dave Burns announcing the Xfinity race. He has a nice voice, does not yell, speaks in sentences, and has the ability to make the appropriate parts exciting without sounding like a crazed teenager at a Justin Beiber concert.

I liked the segments that Jr., Kyle Petty and Dale Jarrett did on NBC at Darlington. I think it was a heck of a lot better than listening to Allen, Burton and Letarte. It's actually painful for me to listen to Jeff Burton talk.

I think NBC should replace Burton and Letarte in the booth with Petty and Jarrett (who I think are MUCH better than the others), leave Jr. in the booth as well (and also leave Allen in the booth if they must), and move Burton in with Krista Voda to fill the spot left by Petty and Jarrett. Put Letarte outside the booth and use him as an on air consultant the same as FOX does with Larry McReynolds (which I think works pretty well.

This wouldn't be perfect but it would be a heck of a lot better than the current arrangement in my opinion.

I think they continue to prove just because you drove a race car doesn't mean you can be a race announcer. No fault of his own, Burton doesn't have the voice for it especially when he gets excited. Jr sounds like his twin when they are at full song. One is probably bearable, but two is too much IMO.

I liked the segments that Jr., Kyle Petty and Dale Jarrett did on NBC at Darlington. I think it was a heck of a lot better than listening to Allen, Burton and Letarte. It's actually painful for me to listen to Jeff Burton talk.

I agree. Petty and Jarrett did a fine job -- but Jr kept interrupting and was a cross between Burton and Allen. Maybe don't give Jr control of the Booth next time.

It looks like even the network couldn't handle the gerbils at Indy. They turned up the engine sounds to drown them out. I think they would be better served if they would report when a driver in the chase was involved in a wreck, or towards the end of the last stage to tell the viewers where they stand instead of trying to hammer it into the viewers how drama filled it's going to be and it isn't hardly ever so. It's all back assword paying attention to a bunch of cut off backmarkers for the most part. It looks like to me this whole playoff thing was the darling of NBC, it looks good on paper, but this isn't set up with all of the gimmicks of stick n ball and wild cards to keep the scoring close....yet

Love Kelli Stavast -- she's over in open wheel in the Pits and I really enjoy her work in NASCAR track. One of the best, imho.

It looks like even the network couldn't handle the gerbils at Indy. They turned up the engine sounds to drown them out. I think they would be better served if they would report when a driver in the chase was involved in a wreck, or towards the end of the last stage to tell the viewers where they stand instead of trying to hammer it into the viewers how drama filled it's going to be and it isn't hardly ever so. It's all back assword paying attention to a bunch of cut off backmarkers for the most part. It looks like to me this whole playoff thing was the darling of NBC, it looks good on paper, but this isn't set up with all of the gimmicks of stick n ball and wild cards to keep the scoring close....yet
I have never paid close enough attention to know, but at some races it seems the network follows certain drivers an extraordinary amount of time, regardless of where they are running. Makes you wonder if a sponsor or team has some occasional influence in the coverage of the race.

Watching the NFL tonight and thinking how nice it would be for the NASCAR announcers to sound like the NFL announcers. I don't hear any teenagers screaming or gerbils going at it.

Pat Summerall is my all time favorite sports announcer. He never really yelled, he certainly never screeched, he always stayed composed. He let the game speak for itself and never spoke more than necessary. He understood the difference between quality and quantity. When you heard him on the mic, you got the feeling that it was a big time game regardless of the teams on the field. He was a legend.

NASCAR used to have announcers like that, specifically guys like Ken Squier and Ned Jarrett. We need to get back to that.

Tough crowd. I dont even pay that much attention to what the announcers are saying. I'm busy watching what happens on the track. I thought it was a good race. Not the greatest race ever but it was far from a snoozer

please get rid of burton and letarte

absolutely awful

JEFF BURTON "during the race they use the chicane! but not during the restart!"

NO ****** ****

Swap places...Burton and Jr. out of the booth and Petty and Jarrett in. Move Letarte out of the booth to a role as crew chief consultant during the race the way Larry Mac is for FOX. That would be a big improvement. Burton and Letarte are intolerable where they are now and Jr....as much of a NASCAR legend as he already is....just isn't a race announcer.

Swap places...Burton and Jr. out of the booth and Petty and Jarrett in. Move Letarte out of the booth to a role as crew chief consultant during the race the way Larry Mac is for FOX. That would be a big improvement. Burton and Letarte are intolerable where they are now and Jr....as much of a NASCAR legend as he already is....just isn't a race announcer.

Ralph Shaheen, Kyle Petty, Dale Jarrett in the booth with Burton & Jr on the peacock box & Letarte as a rules analyst/crew chief consultant/Larry Mac role wouldn't be bad.

Send Rick Allen back to the Truck Series as the lead announcer, that's a good place for him IMO.

Y'all like to jump on these announcers HOWEVER what none of you people seem to take into consideration are these announcers are just puppets following the directions of the producers.
In the days before the race they are already given their talking points and a script. None of the current announcers, even junior, actually talk about and say what they think.
That is the big difference between then and now. In the old days, the announcers watched the race and made comments they felt were fitting. That's why they didn't talk before their brain could process what the mouth was saying.
I will be glad when the networks no longer have control over content.

How home dale jr talks the way he does on the broadcast. Listen to him talk in an interview or on his radio show or tv show or anything else and he sounds normal. Then when he goes into broadcast mode he is really high pitched and obnoxious squealing like a child.

How home dale jr talks the way he does on the broadcast. Listen to him talk in an interview or on his radio show or tv show or anything else and he sounds normal. Then when he goes into broadcast mode he is really high pitched and obnoxious squealing like a child.
Directors and producers prodding him.

Jeff Burton really enjoys hearing himself talk

Is he like this at home

"Now see when you get that burger done, you grab the ketchup bottle and squeeze it until you get the ketchup in the burger, and remember every bit of ketchup matters, you may have to much or too little, thats why every litttle tiny ounce matters"

"Remember when you brush your teeth every tooth matters, any tooth can get a cavity thats why you need to spend so much time on each tooth, every tooth matters"

Back
Top Bottom