The Announcers Thread

They overcame the quiet of DW by having his clown brother in the pits.
I liked just having 2 in the booth. It may be they will go to the pit reporters more often.

JG will get small minded (opinionated) -- DW used to balance that, Joy won't be able to.

As for Mikey and his awkward walks... :oops:

Honestly, it does feel weird not to have DW in the booth. Just turned on qualifying and it's "different".

JG will get small minded (opinionated) -- DW used to balance that, Joy won't be able to.

As for Mikey and his awkward walks... :oops:
Honestly, it does feel weird not to have DW in the booth. Just turned on qualifying and it's "different".

Darrell Waltrip had a ton of enthusiasm. Mike Joy's still a very good announcer and will do fine, but Jeff Gordon doesn't live up to DW on the enthusiasm front, maybe he'll improve. I wish they'd put Larry McReynolds back in the booth.

Darrell Waltrip had a ton of enthusiasm. Mike Joy's still a very good announcer and will do fine, but Jeff Gordon doesn't live up to DW on the enthusiasm front, maybe he'll improve. I wish they'd put Larry McReynolds back in the booth.

The best announcer in the history of NASCAR was Barney Hall. How much enthusiasm did HE have? If the product is worth a damn, I don't need some announcer to flapping his gums with a bunch of mindless babble and hype.

1 down, 1 to go and it won’t happen soon enough for me.

The best announcer in the history of NASCAR was Barney Hall. How much enthusiasm did HE have? If the product is worth a damn, I don't need some announcer to flapping his gums with a bunch of mindless babble and hype.

Barney Hall had the perfect radio voice imo. Guys like Hall and Vin Scully are best enjoyed with a little imagination.....

Everybody hated DW when he was there and now miss him all of a sudden? Lol

We lost the best announcer way to soon.
Neil Bonnet was the best. He could break anything down into common speak without talking down to the audience.

Bob Jenkins, Ned and Benny were the best booth.
Things need to go back the way Ned spoke about on WindTunnel.
He said "We use to cover a race and a story broke out. Now they cover a story and a race breaks out".

Also it would be nice to have announcers that don't have any affiliations with a team sponsor or manufacturer. Then they could give there honest opinion. How can Jeff Gordon not be partial to Hendrick? If he calls the team out on something well Monday morning could be trouble. Because it could affect sponsor relationships.
Plus how disingenuous is it for Jeff and Steve Latarte and Jeff Burton to sit there and act as if they don't know what changes or new parts are on the cars and strategies. Jeff and Steve are in with Chevy/Hendrick and Burton is now in good with Toyota/JGR.

To many conflicts of interest.

Hard to fill D.W.'s shoes. I think they need three

We lost the best announcer way to soon.
Neil Bonnet was the best. He could break anything down into common speak without talking down to the audience.

Bob Jenkins, Ned and Benny were the best booth.
Things need to go back the way Ned spoke about on WindTunnel.
He said "We use to cover a race and a story broke out. Now they cover a story and a race breaks out".

Also it would be nice to have announcers that don't have any affiliations with a team sponsor or manufacturer. Then they could give there honest opinion. How can Jeff Gordon not be partial to Hendrick? If he calls the team out on something well Monday morning could be trouble. Because it could affect sponsor relationships.
Plus how disingenuous is it for Jeff and Steve Latarte and Jeff Burton to sit there and act as if they don't know what changes or new parts are on the cars and strategies. Jeff and Steve are in with Chevy/Hendrick and Burton is now in good with Toyota/JGR.

To many conflicts of interest.

Forgot Jr who's Xfinity team has Hendrick for a partner also. The Gerbils are really biased, the only one that isn't, Rick Allen, does his best to scream at the right time.

I'm glad FS1 is showing Jamie McMurray's smiling picture when he's talking with the booth... :rolleyes:

Smoke(Talladega), Bowyer (a Whole bunch of races), both of the Busch brothers in the booth at the same time (Bristol) , and Keselowski in the booth for Fox this year. Fox is doing the drivers only race again also.:pbjtime:

I know many of you get excited about this stuff, but to me it's just an indication of making the broadcast the event instead of the race. If the announcers are doing their job, you should hardly notice who they are.

Just clearing up any confusion, these are drivers, competitors in the sport who are announcing the race. To some of us, and more importantly the network, they think it will add more interest (viewers) to the races. Grenches and grumplers should be happy they have something new. Personally I am excited about the first half of the season on FOX, and hopeful for some changes the second part of the season where it is impossible for ME to watch the race with half a dozen yapping at the same time..

Just my opinion but Gordon was a better driver than he is an announcer.
Seems like he has the herky jerky yips tonite for the duels. Great guy though.

I was one of his biggest all time fans as a driver, but I never wanted him to become an announcers, never thought he would be all that good at it, still don't think he is that good at it, and have to agree that even with low expectations he seems to have regressed so far this year.

I think Gordon makes some very good observations and he does a good job as an announcer. But sometimes he gets lost completing a thought or distracted with headphone chatter. I figure it is a matter of getting used to the new format. I agree that someone doesn't need to be talking all the time. (I have an above average sound system and hearing the cars is cool).

I'm interested when Stewart and Bowyer are in the same booth for the Xfinity at Talladega. I've heard Bowyer before, but I think it is the first time Stewart will announce a race.

Just my opinion but Gordon was a better driver than he is an announcer.
Seems like he has the herky jerky yips tonite for the duels. Great guy though.

I noticed this as well, he seemed to struggle at times. Still not as bad as Jr though, who tends to get tongue-tied when he gets excited and will start saying random words that make no sense at all.

I noticed this as well, he seemed to struggle at times. Still not as bad as Jr though, who tends to get tongue-tied when he gets excited and will start saying random words that make no sense at all.
I can't tell which one is speaking in tongues Burton or Jr. They sound the same when they are at full song

Past couple years I have been critical of most all NASCAR broadcasts. Time now for kudos to Fox Sports for last nights coverage of the qualifiers. Enjoyed not hearing screaming gerbils, announcers talking over each other and silliness. The folks in the truck seemed on their game as well. Looking forward to see how they do Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom