The Announcers Thread

nbc needs to replace jeff burton with his brother wawd.
then sign caterpillar as the cup series sponsor.

Ward could be used for the foreign language broadcasts of NASCAR. Now exactly WHAT language, I'm not sure..........

Regan Smith often looks like FoxSports found him on a park bench and drug him into the Studio...

Watching the re air of the Vegas race, and it finally came to me who Gordon's style reminded me of. Bobby Unser

55 to go in the Phoenix Race, and another Michael Waltrip segment -- as he inches closer to the Cup Booth.

I think the IRacing booth guys ought to get a shot at the Cup booth.
Thats the style of announcing I like.

Ricky will be missed. He is one of those guys that doesn't make it about themselves or try to draw attention to themselves, he just tells you what he thinks you should know. I have been a fan of his for years. I was beyond ecstatic when he signed with HMS, and horribly disappointed when it didn't work out. We need MORE people in the racing media like Ricky Craven.

Bowyer's got the chemistry with Mike and Jeff that livens up the broadcast.

A fine statement today by Jeff Gordon, with assists from Bubba Wallace and Mike Joy, at the top of the broadcast... a call to action for the racing industry and racing fans to do more and do better in combating racial inequities throughout society. Props to FOX for going beyond the token references we've been seeing..:salute:

Think it's a Chevy vs Toyota thing?
Hard to be neutral when you are a team owner competing against other OEM's. In Bell's case he had real good runs at Dega and the first Pocono race. It could be partly the networks fault for not putting any focus or the camera on the 95. Jeff Burton coming up who has his son racing for Toyota gets in his Toyota commercials and is pretty blatant about it during the races.

Heads up. There is a long and very in depth survey put out by the Fan Council this week about all aspects of the announcing. I was surprised at how many questions there were and you get two boxes at the end to write anything else you didn't think they covered.

Fox is done and considering COVID, I think they did a good job with what restrictions they had. That last race reminded me why I don't miss DW.
I don't see anything NBC can do that would improve their coverage other than
change the timing between announcers. That is the most annoying of all because it really demonstrates how scripted it all is.

Reactions: sdj
Fox is done and considering COVID, I think they did a good job with what restrictions they had. That last race reminded me why I don't miss DW.
I don't see anything NBC can do that would improve their coverage other than
change the timing between announcers. That is the most annoying of all because it really demonstrates how scripted it all is.
yup, just time it so the announcers begin at the checkered flag.

Heads up. There is a long and very in depth survey put out by the Fan Council this week about all aspects of the announcing. I was surprised at how many questions there were and you get two boxes at the end to write anything else you didn't think they covered.
Is there anywhere we can view that report?
Re/ DW, loved the guy and I was a big fan when he raced but in the booth he had become a bit of an embarrassment. It was time for him to go.

You guys should do what I do. Get the timing right between MRN/PRN and TV so you can overlay it

I watched the Texas race 50% of the time with the sound on MUTE! Between Rick scripting and the other three screaming, it is very annoying.
I picked up PRN radio on the Nascar website. The first part of the race when the gerbils were B.S. ing about nothing, PRN was calling out the many battles that were going on for positions. I switched back towards the end of the race with the sound way down. Like Fox will say and show once when cars are side by side and packing air on each other. let's face it the vast majority of fans already know that so yeah it's for the new people. But NBCSN will repeat it twenty times for example like we didn't get it the other 19 times.

I find the constant playoff updates every 3 laps or when “one of the playoff contenders” have a on track issue, very informative. Did you guys know that with Dillon’s win yesterday JJ is on the outside looking in at the playoffs in his last season?

I find the constant playoff updates every 3 laps or when “one of the playoff contenders” have a on track issue, very informative. Did you guys know that with Dillon’s win yesterday JJ is on the outside looking in at the playoffs in his last season?
no kidding but we would be remiss if we didn't mention their other fixation "Cut off", points above and below to infinity and beyond. What the means is that when the leaders are batteling side by side, we get to look at some backmarker driving for 16th place because "Cut off".

Lets face it, Rick Allen sounds canned and he repeats crap constantly over and over. LaFart and Burton scream everything like it is the most important issue in the world for every occurrence.
Rick Allen doesn't know shi* about racing. I guarantee he spends no time reading or learning about the sport, probably hasn't spent ten minutes in the garage his whole career. I'm constantly surprised at how bad a crew chief LeTarte is turning out to be. He knows nothing about fuel runs, who is taking tires much less how many laps anybody has on them. But he can talk for 5 minutes about a fuel valve in the fuel tank.

Lets face it, Rick Allen sounds canned and he repeats crap constantly over and over. LaFart and Burton scream everything like it is the most important issue in the world for every occurrence.
Now you know why he took a job in the booth over being Juniors CC.

No offense meant to the guys that like the NBC booth but they are awfully shrill to me. They also get all worked over small things and I find them to be distracting. I usually watch the race with the volume on low and turn it up when something is happening.

I break it down this way. To Rick Allen's credit, he has good energy and does good with the play by play aspects. It's obvious he does his diligence in going over the notes and such that NASCAR provides to all of the media members. His problem is he doesn't know the nuts & bolts, under-the-hood of the sport like Mike Joy does. So, he's not able to add in anything extra.

Larry Mac hasn't been a crew chief for decades, but he puts Letarte to shame when it comes to explaining the different ways the pit strategies will play out and he's able to do it 100s of laps ahead of time. As for Dale Jr and Jeff Burton, something has to give there. There's too many calling the races between all 4. When Burton gets excited, his voice gets way too high-pitched for me. Somebody needs to tell these guys there's nothing wrong with not saying anything and letting the viewers hear 15 to 30 seconds of ambience from the race cars every so many laps.

It's frustrating, because I believe when it comes to camera work, NBC has been spot on....they just need the voices to go along with it.

You know who's really good in the booth, the time or two I've seen him guest there? Kyle Busch. He's very smooth and always has something relevant to say. I've got a feeling he's not giving up driving anytime soon but when that day comes, it'd be a shame if someone didn't grab him up. I hope he'll do more guest appearances in the meantime.

You know who's really good in the booth, the time or two I've seen him guest there? Kyle Busch. He's very smooth and always has something relevant to say. I've got a feeling he's not giving up driving anytime soon but when that day comes, it'd be a shame if someone didn't grab him up. I hope he'll do more guest appearances in the meantime.
Kurt is pretty good himself as well. The problem is the script for the race is decided before the race even starts so the announcers can look and sound foolish at times.
I would like to hear Junior call a race all by himself, I think it would be quite different because he usually thinks before saying things and he is a slow thinker. LOL

I am in no way a KDB race car driver fan, but, like you said above, I thought he and his brother Kurt did a great job, both were cool calm and collected with pertinent info of what was happening on track, plus, they had friendly Brother banter between them.
Yes they would be great in the booth. :booya:

Back
Top Bottom