The Announcers Thread

I thought the same thing. I'm thinking why are you talking about this when the race just started? Shut up and report the race we're trying to enjoy. It's not going to change though.

I find Rick Allen is getting worse, Jeff Burton is highly annoying and Steve Letarte tries to hard to be THAT guy. I’d wager a booth of Allen Bestwick, Dale Jr and Letarte would be magic. Burton can be the rotating in race studio analyst. I also think a lot of it has to do with NBC telling the fellas to push storylines like it’s WWE, hence the constant playoff coverage.....well because NBC has the lead up and playoff portion of the schedule. I really wish someone would figure out over there the RACING is the main storyline, drivers next then whatever point system it is they’re using.

I haven't watched a stick n ball game in a while so it could have changed. But I don't remember the announcers talking about playoff positions almost every play of the game. I remember they announced who could advance to the next round, and then after the game they would say who or what played who the next weekend. But when the gerbils are pointing out positions changing and there are 450 laps left to go in the race, I can't help but feel insulted about the stupidity of having to listen to that nonsense
you do realize they are only following the script set out for them?

Too many announcers in one place all trying to justify their paycheck by trying to say something different and original, which turns every broadcast into a competition of who can say the MOST, whether it's interesting or relevant or not. I think a lot of this is probably driven by producers trying to capture the attention of people that have a five second attention span. I don't think that works, but I think that may be their motivation. What's amazing to me is that with all the resources and bodies they have on hand, I often see things on my one single TV that takes them anywhere from 1-5 more laps to mention. Last night I found it interesting (and sad) that at no time did they mention that the second place driver (Elliott) was trapped a lap down by being in the pits when the final caution came out. I could clearly see it on my TV screen, but THEY never mentioned it.

I'm usually at the slot car track during the cup race and they don't have NBCSP so I usually just keep an eye on live timing on the NASCAR site, and I'm actually enjoying it. I also usually read the race thread after the race is over.

I'm usually at the slot car track during the cup race and they don't have NBCSP so I usually just keep an eye on live timing on the NASCAR site, and I'm actually enjoying it. I also usually read the race thread after the race is over.
If possible try to follow the PRN radio coverage. It’s free and easily streamable on a phone, no app needed.

Too many announcers in one place all trying to justify their paycheck by trying to say something different and original, which turns every broadcast into a competition of who can say the MOST, whether it's interesting or relevant or not. I think a lot of this is probably driven by producers trying to capture the attention of people that have a five second attention span. I don't think that works, but I think that may be their motivation. What's amazing to me is that with all the resources and bodies they have on hand, I often see things on my one single TV that takes them anywhere from 1-5 more laps to mention. Last night I found it interesting (and sad) that at no time did they mention that the second place driver (Elliott) was trapped a lap down by being in the pits when the final caution came out. I could clearly see it on my TV screen, but THEY never mentioned it.
That's my biggest bitch about the whole mess, they are so busy yapping about other junk (cutoff positions with 450 laps to go). I see a lot of things during the race, cars dropping like a rock etc, cars running up thru the field and nothing is mentioned. There isn't enough room with 4 of them trying to one up themselves on what they think they know.

I haven't watched a stick n ball game in a while so it could have changed. But I don't remember the announcers talking about playoff positions almost every play of the game. I remember they announced who could advance to the next round, and then after the game they would say who or what played who the next weekend. But when the gerbils are pointing out positions changing and there are 450 laps left to go in the race, I can't help but feel insulted about the stupidity of having to listen to that nonsense

It's a fundamental lack of faith that the actual race is entertaining. They wrongly believe the silly points battles provide a reason to watch and be invested in the outcome.

There remains zero evidence that all of this bubble hoopla results in larger audiences.

It's a fundamental lack of faith that the actual race is entertaining. They wrongly believe the silly points battles provide a reason to watch and be invested in the outcome.

There remains zero evidence that all of this bubble hoopla results in larger audiences.
True, None of them pay much attention to the laps monitor. Fox has one that when two cars get close a box surrounds those two cars so the announcers and crew can pick up on the pass or the battle. NBCSN it is hit or miss mostly miss. More times than I could count Rick Allen would be shouting about a car gaining positions and they weren't. I have never heard a racing announcer being so far out to lunch. And Burton spent half his time talking about which freakin line a car was running in meanwhile there is a race going on Jeff, cars on the freaking track.

Last edited:

Yeah if ya want to call a 1% gain from last year as evidence of great success. NBC says they are up a whole 1% with viewers from last year... PLAYOFFS! The 4 Gerbils in the booth endless babbling about the NBC line of PLAYOFFS has really packed them in from last year's PLAYOFFS. Fans are glued to the tube I tell ya having to listen to who won't make the CUTOFF. Just take a look at the year long points and save all of the B.S. Gerbiling. There are few surprises. Personally I think the louder they shout, the less NBC does covering the races. They are missing wrecks, passes, calling overtakes when they aren't. It's not all Gerbil, the crew behind them is sub par also. You got to love what you are doing and it isn't showing in the NBC stuff IMO. (I'm channeling my inner Jackman with this rant)

What NASCAR desperately needs is a Pat Summerall type of announcer.

(start at 0:10). This was unfortunately the best I could find at the moment, but it still captures his style of announcing...straight to the point and lets the game speak for itself. Nowadays the announcers try to be the star of the show and it severely detracts from the action on the field, track, or whatever sport you are watching.

I still contend that the best possible living announcer for NASCAR would be Jim Nantz (the famous golf announcer). NASCAR's announcer problem is having too many cooks in the kitchen, with all the cooks having an ego bigger than Gordon Ramsay at a backyard cookout. LET THE RACE SPEAK FOR ITSELF

True, None of them pay much attention to the laps monitor. Fox has one that when two cars get close a box surrounds those two cars so the announcers and crew can pick up on the pass or the battle. NBCSN it is hit or miss mostly miss. More times than I could count Rick Allen would be shouting about a car gaining positions and they weren't. I have never heard a racing announcer being so far out to lunch. And Burton spent half his time talking about which freakin line a car was running in meanwhile there is a race going on Jeff, cars on the freaking track.
I firmly believe Rick Allen is the worst thing to ever happen to nascar.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The question everyone wants to know....Will Rut be with them?

There is always the "HOPE" that NBC will come to their senses and realize that fans watch to see "The Race" and know that commercials are a nessessary part of that.
Why the heck do they have to interrupt race coverage to bring us a ridiculous clown show?

.Steps down off soap box.

Just reading through the last couple of pages here and I pretty much have to agree with everyone in that NBC has been abysmal this year. I also have found them to be more annoying than previous years past, I don’t know if it’s the anxiety talking with everything else going on in the world right now and the NBC guys stick out more glaringly but man it’s been a rough go of it. Rick Allen has to be the worst play by play in any sport at this moment. He is an absolute boob, I don’t know how one can listen to his work objectively and come away with the conclusion that he is good at his job. Especially when compared to other’s who have come before him in this sport, he has to be the worst. Well.. Bill Weber level of bad ( We Know Drama! in that whiney nasely voice). I can’t handle Burton anymore, he should be as far away from the race broadcast as possible, probably as in instudio analyst from the NBC studios they cut to from time to time to give the booth a bathroom break. I think Jr has been alright this year, they kind of neutered him last week at his bread and butter track Talladega by stepping over his amazing insight (who else gives better analysis at a plate track than an Earnhardt, it’s a treat listening him discussing drivers setting up moves and dishing those family plate secrets while in race going on) to shout about playoff points and cutoff, whatever with that I guess. Steve is just there, he comes off as doing what NBC tells him to do by emphasizing the PLAYOFFS!!! and I can’t hold that against him. Whoever gets the TV rights for this portion of the season when that time comes, I hope it’s not NBC. I’m holding out for CBS/Turner but if CBS keeps the AFC Deal, then I don’t know what to do. I’d launch Allen immediately if and when the rights change, get Bestwick or maybe Eli Gold( when old races pop up on my YouTube account to watch and it’s a Turner/TNN race I know I’m in for a good broadcast) to set it up for Earnhardt and Letarte...I do think there is potential with those two because they know each other well but they have a terrible lead off man right now. I just wish it was the race and drivers themselves that was the main storyline each race day, but it’s not for a variety of reasons. Sorry for the long post if you’re still reading at this point

3 man booth is the max as far as I am concerned.
Would just Steve and Junior work?

I firmly believe Rick Allen is the worst thing to ever happen to nascar.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Outside of him having a "radio voice", I am unsure of what other qualifications he has that got him the job.

Krista Voda
1 hr ago Facebook

Chad, Clint, and Jimmie.
They will all say goodbye to the job they know best this weekend. It’s going to be bittersweet. I know, because I’m having to say goodbye too.
This Sunday is scheduled to be my last broadcast with NBC. We are living in tough times and there are many others who received similar phone calls.
I was told NBC will no longer be utilizing a host for their NASCAR programming, and unfortunately they didn’t envision me fulfilling other roles with the network.
You would think it’d be a sad day…but how can it be?! I’ve taken this journey further than I ever imagined. This sport is where I met my husband. Where we made memories with our daughter. Where we formed lifelong friendships. How we lived for the last 19 years. It’s been an incredible run.
While I’m proud of my tenure in the industry, it’s the people I’ve met...across all of the shows and all of the miles...who will matter most. Relationships over Resume’.
Those relationships include members of the NASCAR family. I’m thankful to the drivers and the sport’s entire community for allowing me to tell their stories. I always felt respected and valued by them as a professional. In fact, Jimmie Johnson and I started in the Cup Series the same year. I can still remember standing in the old Daytona garages, talking to the rookie driver. Both of us more green than the flag from which he would soon lead the field. My hair was short, but my ambitions were long. Look at us now! Lines on our faces, but we have earned each one. He is the ultimate champion, on the track and off. I have been so honored to stand on stage, interviewing Jimmie countless times, none more special than minutes after his 7th championship. The shirt I wore, that was stained with Gatorade, is ruined. But I’ll never throw it away. It’s a wonderful memory of my footprint on that moment in history.
I am blessed and I’m grateful. Not just for the stories I’ve told, but the experiences I’ve had...in this sport and so many others. I was able to:
Lead Olympic programming. Ride in an Indycar with Mario Andretti. Cover the NFL. Host the Kentucky Derby. Hear Pat Summerall toss the broadcast down to me on the sidelines.
I had the honor of reaching young people who continue to inspire me. To raise funds for charities such as Victory Junction. To serve on committees like The Betty Jane France Humanitarian Award. To emcee events for various driver foundations. I hope I can continue working with those causes, and many more. To make a difference. Because they made a difference in me.
This girl from a small town in Iowa had a dream job because...it never felt like a job. Thank you to those who hired me, who believed in me...today and every step along the way. But my most important audience is you, reading this now. I hope I informed and entertained you. I also hope I’m not done.
Even though this job is ending, my passion for crafting words into powerful stories is not. It’s a passion looking for a new purpose. And I’d like to think there’s another opportunity out there for me. Maybe something I’ve never even considered. But if not, I have a husband whom I love and a daughter we adore. I’m grateful for yesterday and hopeful for tomorrow. But most importantly, Steve Byrnes taught me: to Be Present. In the right now.
To everyone with whom I shared the screen, to every person on every crew who makes the stories come to life, and to each of you who have allowed me to come into your homes for the last two decades, thank you for what has been an incredible gift.
I will forever be thankful to God for leading me here. I look forward to seeing what else He has in store for me.

Krista Voda
1 hr ago Facebook

Chad, Clint, and Jimmie.
They will all say goodbye to the job they know best this weekend. It’s going to be bittersweet. I know, because I’m having to say goodbye too.
This Sunday is scheduled to be my last broadcast with NBC. We are living in tough times and there are many others who received similar phone calls.
I was told NBC will no longer be utilizing a host for their NASCAR programming, and unfortunately they didn’t envision me fulfilling other roles with the network.
You would think it’d be a sad day…but how can it be?! I’ve taken this journey further than I ever imagined. This sport is where I met my husband. Where we made memories with our daughter. Where we formed lifelong friendships. How we lived for the last 19 years. It’s been an incredible run.
While I’m proud of my tenure in the industry, it’s the people I’ve met...across all of the shows and all of the miles...who will matter most. Relationships over Resume’.
Those relationships include members of the NASCAR family. I’m thankful to the drivers and the sport’s entire community for allowing me to tell their stories. I always felt respected and valued by them as a professional. In fact, Jimmie Johnson and I started in the Cup Series the same year. I can still remember standing in the old Daytona garages, talking to the rookie driver. Both of us more green than the flag from which he would soon lead the field. My hair was short, but my ambitions were long. Look at us now! Lines on our faces, but we have earned each one. He is the ultimate champion, on the track and off. I have been so honored to stand on stage, interviewing Jimmie countless times, none more special than minutes after his 7th championship. The shirt I wore, that was stained with Gatorade, is ruined. But I’ll never throw it away. It’s a wonderful memory of my footprint on that moment in history.
I am blessed and I’m grateful. Not just for the stories I’ve told, but the experiences I’ve had...in this sport and so many others. I was able to:
Lead Olympic programming. Ride in an Indycar with Mario Andretti. Cover the NFL. Host the Kentucky Derby. Hear Pat Summerall toss the broadcast down to me on the sidelines.
I had the honor of reaching young people who continue to inspire me. To raise funds for charities such as Victory Junction. To serve on committees like The Betty Jane France Humanitarian Award. To emcee events for various driver foundations. I hope I can continue working with those causes, and many more. To make a difference. Because they made a difference in me.
This girl from a small town in Iowa had a dream job because...it never felt like a job. Thank you to those who hired me, who believed in me...today and every step along the way. But my most important audience is you, reading this now. I hope I informed and entertained you. I also hope I’m not done.
Even though this job is ending, my passion for crafting words into powerful stories is not. It’s a passion looking for a new purpose. And I’d like to think there’s another opportunity out there for me. Maybe something I’ve never even considered. But if not, I have a husband whom I love and a daughter we adore. I’m grateful for yesterday and hopeful for tomorrow. But most importantly, Steve Byrnes taught me: to Be Present. In the right now.
To everyone with whom I shared the screen, to every person on every crew who makes the stories come to life, and to each of you who have allowed me to come into your homes for the last two decades, thank you for what has been an incredible gift.
I will forever be thankful to God for leading me here. I look forward to seeing what else He has in store for me.
Puzzling to say the least and I hope FOX comes calling because she's very very good.

I'm just so confused with what this sport is trying to accomplish with both the at track experience and now on television. We're doing away with qualifying and practice so these upgraded fanzones will go unused, and now we're stripping down possibly pre and post race coverage, or the programming during the week? If you want to save money, get rid of one of your 4 booth guys and kick Rutledge Wood to the curb.

Puzzling to say the least and I hope FOX comes calling because she's very very good.

I'm just so confused with what this sport is trying to accomplish with both the at track experience and now on television. We're doing away with qualifying and practice so these upgraded fanzones will go unused, and now we're stripping down possibly pre and post race coverage, or the programming during the week? If you want to save money, get rid of one of your 4 booth guys and kick Rutledge Wood to the curb.
I think we have to give some of that the benefit of the doubt. Covid is trying it's best to eliminate spectators right after Nascar spent millions trying to attract them.

The booth yesterday should have included her just to have a bit of class. The number of errors made it more of a comedy skit than a race commentary.

Krista has ALWAYS been one of my favorites. While I feel that there are simply TOO MANY people involved in race broadcasts, I hope somebody can put her talents and knowledge of the sport to good use.

Rick Allen: “Chase Briscoe's wife had two miscaridges this year, but one the bright side he's going cup racing next year."

Between this and how often he mentioned Sherry’s cancer battle, this dude deserves to have his teeth kicked in. Maybe it’ll shut him up.

Rick Allen: “Chase Briscoe's wife had two miscaridges this year, but one the bright side he's going cup racing next year."

Between this and how often he mentioned Sherry’s cancer battle, this dude deserves to have his teeth kicked in. Maybe it’ll shut him up.
he actually said this? holy wow.

Back
Top Bottom