The Attendance Thread

We haven’t had a bad crowd all year. Atlanta looks 90%
Yep, it was a decent "appearing" crowd. I posted in another thread they have removed every other row in the grandstands, widened the seats, use colored seats in some sections and of course over the years torn down the backstretch and 3rd turn stands. My guess is it's at 25% capacity of its heyday.
Notwithstanding, Atlanta remains one of my favorite tracks and will go the 550 miles every chance I get.

Yep, it was a decent "appearing" crowd. I posted in another thread they have removed every other row in the grandstands, widened the seats, use colored seats in some sections and of course over the years torn down the backstretch and 3rd turn stands. My guess is it's at 25% capacity of its heyday.
Notwithstanding, Atlanta remains one of my favorite tracks and will go the 550 miles every chance I get.
They had done that last year too hadn’t they? And had not even half the crowd they had today.

Richmond : Decent crowd but seems a little thin compared to the other crowds this year.
Maybe still coming in from tailgate.

Richmond : Decent crowd but seems a little thin compared to the other crowds this year.
Maybe still coming in from tailgate.
Richmond crowds are maybe the second biggest dropoff from 2007 to now behind Indy. They used to sell the place out with seats all the way around.

Richmond is a good track. Went there last year. Not a fan of them making the fall race into a day race.

Its all a matter of perspective. Raceweathers picture vs Dale JR who raved about the attendance.
20220425_125039.jpg

Screenshot_20220425-124818_Twitter.jpg

With the recent Cup races there in mind, why would anyone pick Richmond as the race they're gonna attend?

Richmond market, Hampton Roads market, DC market all very close.

I loved going on Friday for Cup qualifying and the Busch race. There were cars on track all day and so much to do.

I used to hate Cup races at night. You wait all day for the race, unless you're there to get drunk in the parking lot and not watch a race, and then people would be so ****faced that they were intolerable.

I wish Richmond had one night race per year and one day race, but by and large, I prefer Sunday afternoon races for Cup.

I loved going on Friday for Cup qualifying and the Busch race. There were cars on track all day and so much to do.

I used to hate Cup races at night. You wait all day for the race, unless you're there to get drunk in the parking lot and not watch a race, and then people would be so ****faced that they were intolerable.
I cannot 'Like' this post enough.

Yeah, this year with flames shooting out the side adds a lot to the visuals. Being able to see the flames shooting out when they lift is pretty bad ass.
I don't know how Andy could be such a lover of short track racing since so many of them are at night with bleachers full of drunks. ;)

I wish all races were at night. I love night racing.

I look forward to the night races. I don't have a local track within an hour of me, and I'm at an age now where I'm usually at home most weekend nights, so I get excited whenever there's a night race on TV.

I don't want/expect every Cup race to be at night, but I do think there should be night racing on Fridays and Saturdays throughout the summer whether it's Cup, Xfinity, or Trucks.

I look forward to the night races. I don't have a local track within an hour of me, and I'm at an age now where I'm usually at home most weekend nights, so I get excited whenever there's a night race on TV.

I don't want/expect every Cup race to be at night, but I do think there should be night racing on Fridays and Saturdays throughout the summer whether it's Cup, Xfinity, or Trucks.
Especially in the summer when it is 100 degrees during the day. I can deal with drunks a lot easier than I can deal with sitting on a bleacher sweating my azz off and trying to watch a race with the sun glaring directly into my eyes. That being said, I still find night racing more exciting even if I'm watching it from the comfort of my air conditioning while watching it on tv.

Especially in the summer when it is 100 degrees during the day. I can deal with drunks a lot easier than I can deal with sitting on a bleacher sweating my azz off and trying to watch a race with the sun glaring directly into my eyes. That being said, I still find night racing more exciting even if I'm watching it from the comfort of my air conditioning while watching it on tv.

Agreed.

Generally speaking, Trucks are usually Friday night, occasionally Saturday afternoon. Xfinity is usually Saturday afternoon, occasionally Saturday night. And Cup is occasionally Saturday night, usually Sunday afternoon. I know there are a handful of exceptions, but that's typically how it goes. I just wish there was more of an effort to race Saturday nights in the warm weather months.

Like you said, afternoon races in the summer are rough if you're attending. And even on TV, the summer races are usually more enjoyable to watch at night IMO. I guess TV ratings are better on Sundays, but I kind of like having Sundays open because you have it as a fallback if there's a weather delay. I absolutely HATE Monday races.

I dont know where to put this but hell yea this is awesome. Of course, you're going to have some fans hate this if you read further enough in the comments.......there really seems to a Young fan vs Old Fan dynamic in this sport that I am not sure I see anywhere else.

I dont know where to put this but hell yea this is awesome. Of course, you're going to have some fans hate this if you read further enough in the comments.......there really seems to a Young fan vs Old Fan dynamic in this sport that I am not sure I see anywhere else.

I won't even bother to read the replies from those "fans", because they are worthless. Likely just a bunch of whiny mouth breathers whose opinions don't matter

I always thought it's more urban vs. rural.

No one is forced to attend the concert. I'd love to see an American Country/Southern Rock artist do a concert somewhere near me.

I have never really understood why anyone would have a problem with a free concert of any kind at any sporting event. It is more bang for the fans buck. Heck even if I didn't like their type of music, I sure wouldn't have a problem sitting through it while thousands of other fans were enjoying it. The more entertainment the promoters can provide the better it is for the majority of fans attending the event.

Heck even if I didn't like their type of music, I sure wouldn't have a problem sitting through it while thousands of other fans were enjoying it.
I stay in the parking lot until it's over. There's usually a good 30 - 40 minutes or more after the concert finishes before the green waves.

I stay in the parking lot until it's over. There's usually a good 30 - 40 minutes or more after the concert finishes before the green waves.
That probably works out pretty well because that way you don't have to stand in long lines because the majority are probably already inside the gate unless they are tailgating in the parking lot.

Promoters did a good job this weekend.
Packed stands for Sunday and a couple of concerts to boot.

Nice. Michigan, Pocono, Bristol, and talledaga all have a camping cult following good to see it's still healthy
Michigan is an absolutely awesome track to visit just for the camping. Surrounded by all those lakes within a couple minutes of the speedway it's a great summer getaway. Interested to see how these new cars show out there

Michigan is an absolutely awesome track to visit just for the camping. Surrounded by all those lakes within a couple minutes of the speedway it's a great summer getaway. Interested to see how these new cars show out there
If it's anything like Fontana, it'll be a great show. That Fontana race was my second favorite race of the year so far.

It's on my short list of tracks to attend once I have a camper, since I'm not too far away (central Ohio)

Junkyard Digs who I follow on Youtube camped in the infield at Kansas. The spot was $750 plus $150 a head for the weekend. They don't give those infield spots away.
Still costs less than a tank of gas does these days

Back
Top Bottom