The best driver ever from your home state

M

MIracingfan

Just what the thread says. Who, in your opinion, is the best ever from your neck of the woods?

I'm a Michigander. Thank goodness for Keselowski, because if it wasn't for him (or the Jones boy hopefully), I'd have Johnny Benson. That'd be a tough pill to swallow. How about you guys?

Originally born and raised in Nebraska, now reside in WA State.

That being said, I'll give the Biff an edge over Kahne.

Shoot...hard choice. 1st Bobby Allison, 2nd Red Farmer, 3rd Davey Allison, 4th Donnie Allison, 5th Neil Bonnett, 6th Jimmy Means, 7th Hut Stricklin, and this don't include all the locals that could wheel the crap out of a car. And Red and Davey at 2 and 3 could be interchanged. Great topic.

not too many from Ok. Jaimie Mac is on the line in Joplin Missouri, Boyer is above, in Kansas, Hoping Okie Christopher Bell makes it to Cup

Being I'm only 26 years old, it might be hard to really pick. Bill Elliott probably, or one of the Flock's.

Shoot...hard choice. 1st Bobby Allison, 2nd Red Farmer, 3rd Davey Allison, 4th Donnie Allison, 5th Neil Bonnett, 6th Jimmy Means, 7th Hut Stricklin, and this don't include all the locals that could wheel the crap out of a car. And Red and Davey at 2 and 3 could be interchanged. Great topic.

OK, but Bobby, Donnie and Red weren't Alabama natives. Does "lived in the state" count for this contest?

Nobody. Racing nor NASCAR are not even remotely big up here. But we could probably just take a marketing exec's young kid, stick him in a cup car, and dump 40 mil on engineering and they'd be competitive enough to get tv airtime.

OK, but Bobby, Donnie and Red weren't Alabama natives. Does "lived in the state" count for this contest?[/QUOTE

Agreed, but they called Alabama "home". And they considered Talladega their "home" track. I can live with Neil, Jimmy And Hut.

OK, but Bobby, Donnie and Red weren't Alabama natives. Does "lived in the state" count for this contest?

If lived in doesn't count, then the I guess it surely is Bill. Since the Flock Brothers weren't born here. I had to go off what my dad said :XXROFL:He's older than me so he's a bit more knowing.

Nobody. Racing nor NASCAR are not even remotely big up here. But we could probably just take a marketing exec's young kid, stick him in a cup car, and dump 40 mil on engineering and they'd be competitive enough to get tv airtime.
that didn't work so well with John Wes Townley, but you never know

If lived in doesn't count, then the I guess it surely is Bill. Since the Flock Brothers weren't born here. I had to go off what my dad said :XXROFL:He's older than me so he's a bit more knowing.
I ain't Hitler over here man, it's a loose thread. More about reminiscing than anything

Of the native born Hoosier crop, I'll say Tony Stewart, Wilbur Shaw and Steve Kinser. If we're adding people who have lived in the state, I'll add Jeff Gordon and Mel Kenyon. Heck, Add Mark Martin too.

Well it depends what kind of racing we are talking, because I know Mario was born in Italy but Michael Andretti is from Pennsylvania. If just NASCAR I guess its Jimmy Spencer.

I mean, obviously Bowyer is the better driver, but he might not be the most popular. Chase Austin might hold that honor for one reason...

I ain't Hitler over here man, it's a loose thread. More about reminiscing than anything

NASCAR tends to let drivers from neighboring states (or even two states away in the case of Joey Logano) treat NHMS as their "home track." If we're counting drivers from neighboring states then Ricky Craven wins. If we're counting all of New England as one then the answer is Joey Logano.

From North Dakota, we have Floyd Roberts, who was born in Jamestown North Dakota and won the 1938 Indy 500, and Donny Schatz who decided the world of outlaws is all the higher he needed to take his career.

NASCAR tends to let drivers from neighboring states (or even two states away in the case of Joey Logano) treat NHMS as their "home track." If we're counting drivers from neighboring states then Ricky Craven wins. If we're counting all of New England as one then the answer is Joey Logano.
Don't sleep on the #32 Tide Ford/Pontiac/Chevy bro. But I can make an exemption for the northeast I suppose

Of the native born Hoosier crop, I'll say Tony Stewart, Wilbur Shaw and Steve Kinser. If we're adding people who have lived in the state, I'll add Jeff Gordon and Mel Kenyon. Heck, Add Mark Martin too.

For those that don't know, Wilbur Shaw is an absolute GIANT in Indy car history. The track is still intact to this day in large part to Wilbur Shaws efforts. Plus he won the Indy 500 three times. Legend

Not a lot of Cup guys from New England, a lot of good Modified guys though. Only Pete Hamilton and Joey Logano have won a Daytona 500, no one from New England has ever won a championship.
Randy Lajoie, Mr. 2 in a row, is from CT

I grew up in Oregon. I'd have to give the nod to my wife's relative Hershel McGriff Jr.

Now that I'm in Washington. I'd have to say Greg Biffle

Home State - Virginia

Not a real popular guy right now, but probably Denny Hamlin. Ricky Rudd, Jeff Burton, and Curtis Turner also get a nod.

Current State - Tennessee

Sterling Marlin is the best one I can think of.

Yup, LaJoie is the only one to bring home a championship in any of the top 3 series.

There's some talent. Austin Theriault from Fort Kent, Maine just won the ARCA Championship but he can't find the money to keep going. It's sad.
Shame Keselowski had to drop his truck team. Figured that was that kid's next step. Was a shame to see him calling Daytona from the booth

I was born in Missouri. The answer would either be Rusty Wallace or Larry Phillips, depending on criteria. Honorable mention to Kenny Schrader.

I watched Clint Bowyer race modifieds every week at Lakeside Speedway and other dirt tracks in the early 2000s.

I live in Oregon now. I guess @Allen B is right, I'm not sure. Biffle is basically from a Portland suburb on the WA side of the border and owns a track here, could claim him.

Back
Top Bottom