The best driver ever from your home state

Probably Phil Hill, he was from Miami originally.

Best active drivers from Florida... Ryan Hunter-Reay, Ricky & Jordan Taylor.

Wow, leave it to me to start the most difficult choice of all. Home state is North Carolina. Where do I start?

Is it Richard Petty, then Dale Earnhardt, or vice versa? Then where do the many others reside in the rankings? Dale Jarrett, Ned Jarrett, Junior Johnson, Bobby Isaac, Harry Gant, Dale Jr., Ralph Earnhardt, Benny Parsons, Kyle Petty, Banjo Matthews, J.D. McDuffy, Tommy Houston, Bob Presley, Dennis Setzer, Morgan Shepherd, and a whole bunch more that I left out who were really good. Plus did not include the youngest ones still developing their resumes, like Ryan Blaney. Great racing history from the Tar Heel State.

The best? Just don’t know.

I have to go with Tim Steele (ts16). Never got the chance to hit the big time because of an injury in Bud Moore's car.

Fred Lorenzen from Elmhurst, Illinois entered 158 Cup races and finished in the top ten in 84 of them.

He won a total of 26 Cup races, including the 1965 Daytona 500.

Fred Lorenzen from Elmhurst, Illinois entered 158 Cup races and finished in the top ten in 84 of them.

He won a total of 26 Cup races, including the 1965 Daytona 500.
I got to meet him at the U.S. 30 drag strip at Gary when I was a wee lad. He was hollywood before Tim Richmond IMO. Dang the girls were swarming him.

not too many from Ok. Jaimie Mac is on the line in Joplin Missouri, Boyer is above, in Kansas, Hoping Okie Christopher Bell makes it to Cup

Troy Ruttman is the only one that comes to mind. There is a sign when you enter Mooreland, Oklahoma dedicated to his Indy 500 win.

Ohio

Dirt: Dave Blaney / Jack Hewitt

Stock cars: Butch Hartman / Tim Richmond (and Ryan Blaney if he keeps up how he has)

Open wheel: Sam Hornish Jr. / Bobby Rahal

Also gotta mention Roger Penske, Banjo Matthews, Eddie Rickenbacker, Jim Trueman and Paul Newman

I'm probably forgetting some or don't know of some

Troy Ruttman is the only one that comes to mind. There is a sign when you enter Mooreland, Oklahoma dedicated to his Indy 500 win.
I forgot Jack Zink Indy car driver from Tulsa. Googled Oklahoma race car drivers, racing reference never fails.

Shoot...hard choice. 1st Bobby Allison, 2nd Red Farmer, 3rd Davey Allison, 4th Donnie Allison, 5th Neil Bonnett, 6th Jimmy Means, 7th Hut Stricklin, and this don't include all the locals that could wheel the crap out of a car. And Red and Davey at 2 and 3 could be interchanged. Great topic.

And now I can add Darrell Wallace Jr. to my list.

Well I had to Google search this one to see if anyone was actually born and raised in New York City and apparently Julia Landauer was who has been running in the K&N series so that's probably all we got. I can't be bothered to look up NY state cause it might as well be a foreign country lol

Well I had to Google search this one to see if anyone was actually born and raised in New York City and apparently Julia Landauer was who has been running in the K&N series so that's probably all we got. I can't be bothered to look up NY state cause it might as well be a foreign country lol

Dan Gurney was born in Port Jefferson Long Island. I'd definitely claim HIM!

Ohio

Dirt: Dave Blaney / Jack Hewitt

Stock cars: Butch Hartman / Tim Richmond (and Ryan Blaney if he keeps up how he has)

Open wheel: Sam Hornish Jr. / Bobby Rahal

Also gotta mention Roger Penske, Banjo Matthews, Eddie Rickenbacker, Jim Trueman and Paul Newman

I'm probably forgetting some or don't know of some

Most younger people have NO IDEA what a great DRIVER Roger Penske was. That man could hold a pretty wheel.

Most younger people have NO IDEA what a great DRIVER Roger Penske was. That man could hold a pretty wheel.

This makes me wonder why NASCAR doesn't do a proper app to watch older stuff. I would easily pay 10 bucks or whatever to have access to watch through all the older seasons of races that I never got the chance to see.

I know there is a lot of stuff on YouTube but I'd much rather watch in order and not have to keep track or what I watched and didn't watch.

Haha... I just took a quick look on there and don't recognize any of the names from NYC lol

Zora Arkus Duntov is the father of the Corvette. Was Carrol Shelby before there was a Carrol Shelby only for Chevrolet. He redesigned the Ford Flathead with a hemi head called ARDUN- ARkus DUNtov. He is all you need from there really. :D
here is a bio if you care to scope it out..he won LeMans 24 in his class among way other things..Corvette Grand Sport program.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zora_Arkus-Duntov

I have to go with Tim Steele (ts16). Never got the chance to hit the big time because of an injury in Bud Moore's car.

Tim was a wheel man. By the time I got to see him in person, he had already been through the wreck and was fighting his other issues, but man he could still drive. I got to witness a couple of short track knock down drag outs between him and Frank Kimmel. Kimmel is the Richard Petty of ARCA, but I believe Tim was better. No WAY Frank wins ALL of those titles if he had to race a healthy Tim Steele for them.

Zora Arkus Duntov is the father of the Corvette. Was Carrol Shelby before there was a Carrol Shelby only for Chevrolet. He redesigned the Ford Flathead with a hemi head called ARDUN- ARkus DUNtov. He is all you need from there really. :D

More of the godfather really. He wasn't there for the conception or the birth, but he was there when the Vette christened a true performance car.

More of the godfather really. He wasn't there for the conception or the birth, but he was there when the Vette christened a true performance car.
That's what they call him. you can call him whatever you like
was a Belgian-born American engineer whose work on the Chevrolet Corvette earned him the nickname "Father of the Corvette."[1] He is sometimes erroneously referred to as the inventor of the Corvette, although that title belongs to Harley Earl.[2] He was also a successful racing driver, taking class victories in 1954 and 1955 24 Heures du Mans.[

Home State - Virginia

Not a real popular guy right now, but probably Denny Hamlin. Ricky Rudd, Jeff Burton, and Curtis Turner also get a nod.
Don't overlook Joe Weatherly... 25 Cup wins from 230 starts with 2 championships in the early 1960's. And a bunch of wins in the convertibles too. Also, Virginians can claim all of the Wood Brothers' accomplishments. Glen Wood won several Cup races, so that should qualify him and Leonard Wood also..:D

Don't overlook Joe Weatherly... 25 Cup wins from 230 starts with 2 championships in the early 1960's. And a bunch of wins in the convertibles too. Also, Virginians can claim all of the Wood Brothers' accomplishments. Glen Wood won several Cup races, so that should qualify him and Leonard Wood also..:D

I hope that helps to pull him back from the dark side

From upstate NY, It has to be Geoff Bodine

Not sure if Richie Evans matches the upstate NY geography, but definitely a worthy driver.

Geoff Bodine is one of the most underrated drivers ever imo. He had a great modified career, was great in the Busch Series and very good in Cup cars.
Rick Hendricks first driver and winner in a Cup car.
I thought he had a quirky personality, maybe folks couldn't relate to him, but the driving record was solid.

To be fair I really have no clue how well he did at driving either, I know he raced sports cars but I listed him for the business side

From Florida: Aric Almirol, Ray Black, Jr., Ross Chastain, Chris Fontaine, Ben Kennedy, Blake Koch, Scott Lagasse Jr., Johanna Long, BJ McLeod(from my hometown), Joe Nemechek, John Hunter Nemechek, Bryan Silas, David Reutiman

Aric Almirola, he was born just down the highway on Eglin Air Force Base.

Back
Top Bottom