The Cucumber Returns

I think they got everything right here. Pretty incredible, honestly. This was gonna be a serious inflection point either way and this is the right direction to go in.

Also said they’ve got work to do on post-race protocol in the pits, which is past due.

They made the right call. Dillon and his team got the 2 million or whatever it was for the win.

The team won't race in the playoffs and won't reap the rewards of a top 16 payout
What 2 million?

I remind you that hundreds of team members and families will be effected. Yes, it is a shame
If you want to maintain the integrity of the sport you can't consider those things when making this call. Well it's ok because they have a lot of people back at Welcome that need this extra money....get real

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I remind you that hundreds of team members and families will be effected. Yes, it is a shame

It is a shame, but it’s also a shame that they have hundreds of team members and families to worry about, yet they’re 31st in the standing. If all those lives are at stake and dependent on making the playoffs, they should probably seriously consider what they need to do to make the team more competitive. The simple fact is that he doesn’t deserve to be in the playoffs, regardless of his Richmond “win.” This isn’t a low budget team. They need to fix things so they don’t have to rely on desperation moves to win races and hope that NASCAR gives them a pass.

I have 2 disappointments in this ruling

1) that it took 3 days to make a call that everyone with a set of eyes could make

2) he didn't get suspended for the right rear hook of the #11

If you want to maintain the integrity of the sport you can't consider those things when making this call. Well it's ok because they have a lot of people back at Welcome that need this extra money....get real

Integrity of the sport? C'mon man. I'll bet money Nascar will allow this to be shown on highlight reel for years to come lol.

I have 2 disappointments in this ruling

1) that it took 3 days to make a call that everyone with a set of eyes could make

2) he didn't get suspended for the right rear hook of the #11

1) The SMT data probably helped quantify just how much Dillon actually swerved across the track and showed how Denny didn’t really clear himself and, if anything, actually exited a touch shallower than he had done previously.

2) I think they would argue it didn’t elevate to that level because it wasn’t a high-speed intermediate like we saw with Chase and Bubba.

It's a better decision than I anticipated, but I still say the 3 team having the official race victory is unsatisfactory to me. Encumbered wins are a bad deal that left a stench a few years ago when Nascar was handing them out on a regular basis. Going back to that is a bad move, IMO. Race wins are a big deal, and this one should not go to the 3 car.

Pure BS. Allowing the 3 car into the playoff would exclude another car... that competed fairly... and also has team members and families.

I was thinking one race suspension and calling it a day. Glad to see some real stiff penalties here.

I can't figure this out... is it zero points for the cucumbered win, and then minus 25 points on top of that? Or full points awarded for the race, and now a 25 point penalty?

Also... I'm sure the garage will be pretty happy with these penalties. A line has been drawn. A line that drivers have wanted to see for a while now. Every industry member's reaction I've seen to the last lap shenanigans is that of complete disgust, partially at the 3 and partially at NASCAR for allowing things to get to this point.

I know I have said it before: I hate all bump-and-runs, and some want to write this one off as just another one of them.

I think the big difference is the four car lengths. There is no way even to excuse it, too far away to claim a brake check caused it or that he just missed his marks for braking, etc.
It was clear that he planned on hitting Logano without any pretense of trying to race him cleanly.

But I will concede that NASCAR has been allowing this kind of crap, and people have been loving and treating bump-and-runs like something glorious for a long time. Dillon just went over the top.

Rubbing is racing, and it can be a great thing to watch. I just wish it was more coincidental, or a battle of two drivers pushing the limits of their equipment while still respecting each other.

But I have always thought a last-lap intentional bump and run is chicken**** stuff. It isn't what racing should be about.

That's my opinion, others are entitled to be wrong if they wish.

Most of this summer the end of Cup races has felt like ARCA with faster cars.

Getting down to the nitty gritty! These guys running 30th place are finally realizing they aren’t going to points their way into the playoffs. I don’t think we’re done with the roughness. They’ll just try to be smarter about it. To be honest, it might still be worth it to go all out and hope you get away with it.

It is a shame, but it’s also a shame that they have hundreds of team members and families to worry about, yet they’re 31st in the standing. If all those lives are at stake and dependent on making the playoffs, they should probably seriously consider what they need to do to make the team more competitive. The simple fact is that he doesn’t deserve to be in the playoffs, regardless of his Richmond “win.” This isn’t a low budget team. They need to fix things so they don’t have to rely on desperation moves to win races and hope that NASCAR gives them a pass.
they maybe are drinking to much of pop pop wine,they sure are missing something

It's a better decision than I anticipated, but I still say the 3 team having the official race victory is unsatisfactory to me. Encumbered wins are a bad deal that left a stench a few years ago when Nascar was handing them out on a regular basis. Going back to that is a bad move, IMO. Race wins are a big deal, and this one should not go to the 3 car.

Pure BS. Allowing the 3 car into the playoff would exclude another car... that competed fairly... and also has team members and families.
Surely, but you dont have to be happy about it. Chase got a waiver for bad behavior so now we have NASCAR having to officiate intent and how bad it "looked",how they decided what Dillon did was any different is confusing. They should have suspended the 3 and then laid down the law that no waiver would be given after suspensions from here forward, a warning to all teams. If we are gonna go this far then the bump and run should be disallowed. You can say the 3 drove in and didn't touch the brake, so what? It was the same outcome as Joey did to the 78, they were running second and used up the car in front to win. I'll give you an example, when the 22 beat the 3 on the restart he should have just got behind him and shoved him to Henrico county, I guess that's ok Iike 11 did the 24 at Martinsville or what Kenseth did Gordon at Bristol , etc.. etc...

Reactions: Pat
Back
Top Bottom