The hobby thread --- what are yours?

My hobby/passion is playing Volleyball. I have been playing since I was 12 years old. Next year I will be playing my Senior High School Year.

AWESOME. Do not go gentle in that good night as the poet says.....

So who is your fav driver and why?
The young fella in my avatar is my favorite drive. That is a young Chase Elliott. I think he has such great potential to go down as one of the greats and he is only 20 years old right now which is amazing.

Today would be perfect for going camping. I'd totally set up a campsite in this weather. It's fricken gorgeous out, not too hot.

Never noticed this thread before lol.
Love to play golf, one of my passions. For anyone that plays I use
Driver = Callaway X 460
3 wood. = Taylormade Burner
1-2 Irons = Tommy Armour 845s
4-Pitching Wedge= Mizuno MP33s
52 and 60 Wedge = Titleist Vokey
Putter = Old Ping Anser

Also love to watch sports besides racing. Love watching soccer. Manchester United for life.

Used to collect sport cards when I was younger but I no longer do, still have them though.

Also like to read, but haven't done much lately. Read mostly WWII. Love reading about it

I am glad I stumbled across this thread as people's hobbies fascinate me as I love to hear the stories of how people became involved with a hobby and so many people have wonderful talent and great passion for them.

I have had several different hobbies over the years but right now photography is my main squeeze. The funny thing is I know zippo about taking pictures but really enjoy hitting the road and finding things that interest me. On one hand I want to learn about photography but on the other I am happy where I am at and just slowly learning things from trial and error.

I will photograph anything but my favorite things are old wooden barns, cars, trucks and farm equipment that have been sitting in fields or other places, animals, flowers and scenery.

DSCN1989 (2).JPG
DSCN1823_edited.jpg
DSCN2855.JPG

Attachments

• 177 (2).JPG
    177 (2).JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 417
Love your pics, skoalbandit. :) Very nice.

I need to get myself back up stairs into my craft room, which is a spare bedroom, and start scrapbooking again. I really miss it. I need to come up with some good ideas first though.

Love your pics, skoalbandit. :) Very nice.

I need to get myself back up stairs into my craft room, which is a spare bedroom, and start scrapbooking again. I really miss it. I need to come up with some good ideas first though.

Thanks and I hope you start scrapbooking again soon. I have 3 friends who scrapbook and the things they create are awesome. I wish I had talent like you have to be creative like you are.

Aside from sim racing, I also like model trains. I would build a layout right now, but I may be moving soon, so don't want to really put in the effort if I'm just going to tear it down shortly after.

Aside from sim racing, I also like model trains. I would build a layout right now, but I may be moving soon, so don't want to really put in the effort if I'm just going to tear it down shortly after.

Model trains are so cool as they have so much detail.

Model trains are so cool as they have so much detail.
I also like model trains. I looked into it a bit several years ago but they need more space than what I have. Although I did find a whole z-scale setup can be put in a briefcase. There is a whole crafting segment to produce buildings, trees, landscaping, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw...12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true
http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw...12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true
There are also roller coaster and thrill ride model kits (they take up room too).

http://www.rollercoastermodels.com/index.html

My HO layout is torn down and boxed up. Going to start a O gauge Thomas the Tank layout for the boys.

I did see a Z scale layout at a hobby store and it's true, you play with it and you will go blind! Tiny,tiny stuff.

Train_Scales.jpeg

I wanted to do an Appalachian narrow gauge layout, but I'm having trouble finding source materials about real life Appalachian narrow gauge. The only thing anyone talks about is Western narrow gauge.

I also like model trains. I looked into it a bit several years ago but they need more space than what I have. Although I did find a whole z-scale setup can be put in a briefcase. There is a whole crafting segment to produce buildings, trees, landscaping, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=z scale briefcase&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true
There are also roller coaster and thrill ride model kits (they take up room too).

http://www.rollercoastermodels.com/index.html

It absolutely fascinates me to see all the things that have available for model trains and I had no idea about the roller coasters. The people involved in model train clubs are very dedicated and are interesting to talk to.

Some of those people are nucking futz. There's a club not 5 miles away and I visited once, just once. I was told my plan wouldn't work because the locomotive I had wasn't in service yet, and they had changed the paint job on box cars.
They are perfectionists and known as ''rivet counters'' and are gigantic PITA.. My railroad is for my enjoyment and I don't care if a box car is the wrong color.

Some of those people are nucking futz. There's a club not 5 miles away and I visited once, just once. I was told my plan wouldn't work because the locomotive I had wasn't in service yet, and they had changed the paint job on box cars.
They are perfectionists and known as ''rivet counters'' and are gigantic PITA.. My railroad is for my enjoyment and I don't care if a box car is the wrong color.

Yea, rivet counters are the worse. They suck all the fun out of the hobby.

It is just like my photography as I do it for myself and have no one to impress but myself. That is one of the reasons I took the hobby up as my entire life has been being graded on performance or grading others on performance. There were always clear winners and losers and the competition was cutthroat. I still love competition but the older I get the less I want a gun held to my head or have to hold one the the heads of others.

I know a guy who is an amateur photographer and he will spend hours and hours photo shopping his pictures until they look so perfect they don't resemble the original subject of the photo. That sort of thing is not for me as I take pics of things that interest me and if I really like a pic I get a print made for 9 cents and throw it in an album. I do want to get better at photography but not at the expense of taking all the fun out of it.

Yea, rivet counters are the worse. They suck all the fun out of the hobby.

I have a friend who has a beautiful 1961 Corvette and he loves car shows and enters his car in many of them and wins a lot of trophies. He loves the car so much he never drives it as it must remain pristine at all times. At some of the car shows the engine is never started as the car is pushed from the trailer to its display spot and then pushed back onto the trailer. When he gets it back home he washes it and then puts it on a hoist and thoroughly cleans the undercarriage even though it is not dirty. It makes him happy so I don't needle him but it seems strange to have a car that you never drive and clean all the time.

It is just like my photography as I do it for myself and have no one to impress but myself. That is one of the reasons I took the hobby up as my entire life has been being graded on performance or grading others on performance. There were always clear winners and losers and the competition was cutthroat. I still love competition but the older I get the less I want a gun held to my head or have to hold one the the heads of others.

I know a guy who is an amateur photographer and he will spend hours and hours photo shopping his pictures until they look so perfect they don't resemble the original subject of the photo. That sort of thing is not for me as I take pics of things that interest me and if I really like a pic I get a print made for 9 cents and throw it in an album. I do want to get better at photography but not at the expense of taking all the fun out of it.
All about composition and framing of the shot to me. I'm like you I like a great natural shot for self satisfaction.

I worked a little with a photographer 35-40 years ago. His secret was to take a lot of photo's, toss the bad ones and only show your good stuff. Pure genius!

yeah I knew a guy with a '58 Vette, he wouldn't take it out of the garage on Saturday if rain was forecast for Monday.

There are purists in hobbies and they tend to be perfectionists. As amateur/enthusiast in several hobbies I can appreciate the quality of their craftsmanship. I enjoy the process and I do get better with practice but I'll never achieve the "rivet counting" status. It's good to have purist/perfectionists around because they are good for information and can show what the best is.

I worked a little with a photographer 35-40 years ago. His secret was to take a lot of photo's, toss the bad ones and only show your good stuff. Pure genius!
Back when I was into film developing and printing I took a lot of pictures. You are bound to get a few good shots from a big volume of shots. I'm still trying to find a digital camera I like - manual control vs. ease of use & automatic features.

yeah I knew a guy with a '58 Vette, he wouldn't take it out of the garage on Saturday if rain was forecast for Monday.

I take a lot of pics for that exact reason and sometimes you can really find a few jewels amongst the bunch.

Not really a hobby, but I didn't want to make another thread for this. The past two days, I've realized that I'm an adult. Yes, the cold weather and lack of money did play a factor, but I spent the past two days off work doing nothing but watching television and putting together a puzzle. It was a 550 piece that my sister got me for Christmas. I found out in the process that I'm not the best when it comes to puzzles, but to my credit, it was the first puzzle I've put together in at least a couple years.

Christmas puzzle by Brent, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom