The new qualifying format and the Daytona 500

I am in complete agreement on the old format , single car runs for the 500, but I guess king Faux wont be happy tell he changes everything.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 15:

ON TRACK-- 1:30 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Daytona 500 Coors Light Pole Qualifying Presented by Kroger, FOX (Follow live)

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch live)
-- 2:45 p.m.: NSCS Post Qualifying Press Conference

To be fair here, qualifying is still important to a point. If you crash out of the Duels or just plain finish in the back, a good time could get you in the show. This might be important for Carl Edwards who is in a totally new team this year (so no owner points to save him). If he has a mishap in qualifying AND the Duels, he's going home.

I really think that fans are the big losers in the new qualifying format for the D500. Most drivers that I've heard speak on this subject during Media Day were against the new format. A majority of the callers into NASCAR Radio seemed to be against the new format for the D500. Most seemed to be for the traditional method of qualifying. The hosts did their best to promote the new method but it fell mostly on deaf ears. Personally, I think it's only a matter of time and they'll steer the qualifying here back in the right direction. Hopefully sooner than later.

ElliottFan said:
Not a fan of this format. Nascar and the France mafia never cease to amaze me with ways to screw up the sport.
I agree this format of qualifying is a joke. I loved the old way

oops !
24 luvs this new d500 pole format.
puts "skill " back in driver's hands.......team strategy....etc .......or similar comment.

Ryan Blaney, David Ragan, Michael Annett, Justin Marks, Ron Hornaday Jr. and Reed Sorenson are the guys who have to drive there way in, so who are the six guys that could go home if they all make the field?
Okay, I'll take a shot.

As I understand the rules, it's the six slowest guys excluding the six you listed. As I read the results, they're Mike Wallace (48th), Landon Cassil (47th), Josh Wise (46th), Cole Whitt (45th), Clint Bowyer (41st) (!!!), and Jeb Burton (40th). So four of the six you listed would have to make it for Bowyer to get left out.

As I understand the rules o_O

Thirteen drivers are locked into the Daytona 500: #24-Gordon (pole), #48-Johnson (outside pole), #43-Almirola (speed, any round 202.340), #17-Stenhouse Jr. (speed), #19-Edwards (speed), #1-McMurray (speed), #4-Harvick (2014 owners points, 1st), #31-Newman (points, 2nd), #11-Hamlin (points, 3rd), #22-Logano (points, 4th), #2-Keselowski (points, 5th), #20-Kenseth (points 7th) and #14-Stewart (champions provisional).

Duel #2 looks like the one to watch, only four locked-in drivers:

MTi8rxy.png

Can Gordon just not race in it? I dont see why he would.

Okay, I'll take a shot.

As I understand the rules, it's the six slowest guys excluding the six you listed. As I read the results, they're Mike Wallace (48th), Landon Cassil (47th), Josh Wise (46th), Cole Whitt (45th), Clint Bowyer (41st) (!!!), and Jeb Burton (40th). So four of the six you listed would have to make it for Bowyer to get left out.

As I understand the rules o_O
thanks for the info. Clint better take better care of his car next Thursday. he could take his bosses ride if he doesn't get in with the 15.

Seems most people now days have a short attention span if two hours is to long to watch a sports event.

I used to love to watch it because it was your first chance to see all the drivers in there new cars, see new paint schemes and actually get to see cars on track.

I heard a kid being asked about NASCAR and he said he loved playing the video game but the real stuff is boring. I think you are right about shorter attention spans as we have been conditioned to expect things our way right away.

Not good for NASCAR but the local WBIN-TV (New Hampshire) news anchor said, "good luck to you if you can figure out how to qualify for the race" while recapping qualifying on the 10:00 news.

Congrats NASCAR, you've given people a reason to make fun of you.

[quote="The Nature Boy, post: 904499, member: 8421"

Congrats NASCAR, you've given people a reason to make fun of you.[/quote]

I've always been huge supporter , but all of this stuff is so stupid . Honestly , clown suits can't be far off.

Finally watched this and didn't really read this thread yet(sorry) but a few thoughts of mine

a) Loved Clints interview. Nail on the head pretty damn eloquently.

b) LOL at Mike Joy's tweaking of the definition of "start and park" and the general NASCAR nut swinging by the whole booth today.

c) This qualifying session was such a **** show.

d) Gordon is still borrowing Johnson's horseshoe. Though it looks like Johnson may have a spare(1 second, wow)

e) Not a fan of knockout qualifying now are ya?!

Can Gordon just not race in it? I dont see why he would.

It's a free practice session. You get to test in a race setting without the pressure of results. If it gets hairy, get out of the draft.

Back
Top Bottom