The new qualifying format and the Daytona 500

The only practice these guys need is avoiding spinning cars . and that's a crapshoot any time . Gordon and Johnson have to compete because that's what sponsors pay them to do .

I'm anxious to hear the calls this morning on Sirius NASCAR Radio concerning qualifying yesterday. Most all of the hosts have really been applauding the change to group qualifying @ Daytona. An overwhelming number of callers yesterday afternoon were not happy with what they witnessed. I expect to hear more of that this morning. Yesterday was an embarrassment for NASCAR IMO.

I have yet to hear the upside of that fiasco . Perhaps on the Nickleodeon chat room the kids are raving about it . If so , then great , otherwise Nascar has got to get back to basics.

NASCAR Radio..... As expected, they are still trying to sell this new format of qualifying for the D500. NASCAR, at some point, will have to learn how to say, 'We screwed up and we're going to fix this.'

Nascar will never admit they screwed up. Ever.

I don't understand the pecking order in Nascar anymore . Brian France aside (. I don't believe that it really is a one man show .) But where are the ex Nascar guys in this conversation . The Robin Pembertons , Brett Bodines , etc., Nascar used to hire these guys for their input . They helped keep Nascar grounded . I aways thought Mike Helton was all about keeping the sport on track . I really don't understand what or who is driving the bus.

The RP group qualifying would be a lot more tolerable if the pit road waiting game and drivers acting as roadblocks trying to impede others was gone. So they could fix this by having much smaller groups (6-10 cars) that have a pace car lead them to a rolling start to prevent pit road jams... which sounds like a huge PITA.

The RP group qualifying would be a lot more tolerable if the pit road waiting game and drivers acting as roadblocks trying to impede others was gone. So they could fix this by having much smaller groups (6-10 cars) that have a pace car lead them to a rolling start to prevent pit road jams... which sounds like a huge PITA.

They can try and fix this thing until the cows come home . IMO the fastest cat should get the pole . It's a reward to the team for preparing the fastest car .How they start the rest of the field in a plate race doesn't really mean that much except to the cars that don't make the race . Personally I would be highly ticked off if a top twenty five car did not make the race , but they do have the option of buying their way in , I suppose. Qualifying doesn't have to be complicated .

Reactions: sdj
They can try and fix this thing until the cows come home . IMO the fastest cat should get the pole . It's a reward to the team for preparing the fastest car .How they start the rest of the field in a plate race doesn't really mean that much except to the cars that don't make the race . Personally I would be highly ticked off if a top twenty five car did not make the race , but they do have the option of buying their way in , I suppose. Qualifying doesn't have to be complicated .
I am with you 100% - I am just afraid that the powers that be would rather try to polish their turd than admit they were wrong.

I have a question on this subject now that it has happened:

What demographic were they after? Certainly was not the die hard Nascar fan, as is obvious by the comments here .
Probably stupid kids with short attention spans

That was the biggest joke i'd ever saw. Glad I dvr'ed that

When I saw the cars stopped on pit road waiting for the last couple of minutes of the last session I had hoped they would stay there in protest. The qualifying process for the pole of the 500 made me angry. Bowyer's comments were right on.

NASCAR Radio..... As expected, they are still trying to sell this new format of qualifying for the D500. NASCAR, at some point, will have to learn how to say, 'We screwed up and we're going to fix this.'
Steve O'Donnell (Executive VP) called it "a balance" because, in spite of the incident, Jeff Gordon won the pole. Smdh. Some superstar winning doesn't make it any less stupid.

hpk69.jpg

Steve O'Donnell (Executive VP) called it "a balance" because, in spite of the incident, Jeff Gordon won the pole. Smdh. Some superstar winning doesn't make it any less stupid.
Translation: we f'ed this up big time, but still got who we wanted on the pole, so it's OK.

Just listened to some of the morning drive on XM90 radio, boy, have they been drinking the cool aid delivered from Bryan France's group.
I stopped listening to the two morning idiots and Dave Moody a while back. NASCAR can do no wrong in their eyes, and nobody better dare call in and argue otherwise.

Have they ever said that?

That was basically everyones reaction when Kevin won the Cup. " Well , at least it turned out ok." . REALLY? You just missed the biggest disaster in history and that's all you got?

I like the idea of a pace car leading them to a rolling start and basically forcing them to go. Maybe disqualify cars hanging back or sitting on pit road.

Okay, I'll take a shot.

As I understand the rules, it's the six slowest guys excluding the six you listed. As I read the results, they're Mike Wallace (48th), Landon Cassil (47th), Josh Wise (46th), Cole Whitt (45th), Clint Bowyer (41st) (!!!), and Jeb Burton (40th). So four of the six you listed would have to make it for Bowyer to get left out.

As I understand the rules o_O

Isn't Bowyer protected by his season 2014 finish??

I like the idea of a pace car leading them to a rolling start and basically forcing them to go. Maybe disqualify cars hanging back or sitting on pit road.

I don't think that forces them to go . Driving behind them might force them to go . Disqualifying cars for not qualifying would be pretty funny .:)

I don't think that forces them to go . Driving behind them might force them to go . Disqualifying cars for not qualifying would be pretty funny .:)
I meant a pair of cars hanging half a lap back or more to rip off a couple of fast laps. Or sitting on pit road watching the clock.

Maybe they could just do 3-5 lap averages. That might swing things the other way tho.... with people being too aggressive and causing more wrecks.

I understand NASCARs attempt at trying to add more excitement but there is really only so much they can do. If there was a time constraint with single car runs then they should just stagger the starts for each car so there ends up being 3-4 cars on track at all times.

So, I will be honest. I do not like the qualifying format. I know it's the same format that they had last year, just extended to the Daytona 500. However, I think it's nothing more than a gimmick to boost TV ratings, because only the die hard fans would watch a single car make three circuits around the track to see who's the fastest.

Yea, this new format isn't any better TBH. The only substitution I will accept is heat races, because at least then it's an actual race, it's a competition. This new format is just crap.

I understand that they are trying to make qualifying more exciting . My problem is that the only way to make it more exciting is to make it something else . I mean , they might as well have a fishing derby on the lake to decide starting positions . What does any of this stuff have to do with the tradition of fastest car gets the pole ? If all they want is a good tv show then have a fishing derby or a touch football game .

Do not like this format for Qualifying........maybe the Owners should bill NASCAR for the cars that are destroyed because of the implementation of this Qualifying Format?

Welcome to the forum Hischild . Sorry you're starting on a negative note , we are normally a very positive Nascar bunch . :)

Thanks for the welcome........I know, not a good way to start the season. After waiting forever, well two months, to have Racing start again, it is a real letdown to see what happened. Maybe lessons will be learned. Hope so.

I understand that they are trying to make qualifying more exciting . My problem is that the only way to make it more exciting is to make it something else . I mean , they might as well have a fishing derby on the lake to decide starting positions . What does any of this stuff have to do with the tradition of fastest car gets the pole ? If all they want is a good tv show then have a fishing derby or a touch football game .

All for that fishing derby idea! But only if we, the fans can join in.

Thanks for the welcome........I know, not a good way to start the season. After waiting forever, well two months, to have Racing start again, it is a real letdown to see what happened. Maybe lessons will be learned. Hope so.
Welcome to the forum fng :)
Hope you enjoy your stay :waver:

I was entertained and I liked the results. So much better than the 3 hour single car garbage.

That being said, there are adjustments that can be made. Maybe require all cars to leave pit road within 30 seconds of green. Ban blocking. Go below yellow line when not at full throttle.

I like this, they could be skins and shirts. Danica could be on the skins team........

Lets look at this from a pure financial angle. Your Reed Sorenson, you get some sponsors and go to the Daytona 500. One car, all lettered up with your sponsor. Now because of this fiascal you might not make the race. Who is going to want to sponsor a smaller team now if this could happen and you get no exposure in the big race

Back
Top Bottom