The Rock has been bought

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Biggreen695, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Mopardh9

Mopardh9 Team Owner

You would make a hell of a lot more if you built houses or condos on the property.

2. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

Yep. It was a great run while it lasted. The racing itself didn't play a part in the Rock going under; it was purely economics.

As to a revival, call me when they're accepting orders for tickets. Until then, I've breathed in, breathed out, and moved on.

FenderBumper likes this.
  3. Charlie Spencer

Do you think anyone who could benefit from those lessons browses this forum? If they are, you still can't fix stupid.

4. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

I come to this forum for the purpose of reading posters (not all) views on different matters concerning Nascar. I haven't really enjoyed the events as much in the past as I thought drivers were not racing until the end. Now with the Stages IMO it has improved. I still would like to see more shorter tracks being used AND limit the cars to the extent that the teams need not spend as much for the cars. This would allow for less sponsor money needed and more security for small team owners.

5. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

I'd love to hear how NASCAR is too blame.

6. Charlie Spencer

Yeah, I'd like to hear how NASCAR is responsible too. Looked to me like an ISC deal made possible by poor attendance (prime among reasons Penske sold the track), with the attendance problems made possible mostly by the questionable 'traditional' race dates and an isolated location.

7. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

Many people get Bruton Smith and Nascar confused. Let's give Smith credit for his own mistakes.

8. FenderBumper

FenderBumper The "good old days" ??

There are a lot of misconceptions of why Rockingham was taken off the schedule. Reality is, the family that owned it screwed things up. When it was too run down and attendance had dropped enough, they sold it to Penske, (I think). When ISC bought out Penske tracks, they needed to add dates to those tracks, because one Cup date basically pays the bills and the second is sweet profit. When ISC sold the Rock to SMI (peas in a pod), SMI signed an agreement not to host NASCAR races at the track as long as they owned it.

The Rock never was coming back because adding tracks means single dates, and that cuts into track profits,. Lesa ain't having that.

LewTheShoe likes this.
  9. Snappy D

Snappy D 2017 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor

I don’t think NASCAR ever owned this track.

10. FenderBumper

ISC did, which is a branch of the old NASCAR empire. Brian runs (or ran) NASCAR while Lesa runs ISC.

11. Charlie Spencer

Yes, Penske. I remember hoping that would be a good thing, that Penske wasn't a chicken outfit and that they'd upgrade the facilities. They put up that monster grandstand on the back and not long after, for whatever reasons, the boom ... busted.

FenderBumper likes this.
  12. Mopardh9

Mopardh9 Team Owner

NASCAR could of saved it, they chose to let it die, an unique track will get torn down soon just like NW....same scenario.

13. Bobw

Bobw Team Owner

Yup, the property will generate more $ as a mall for the developer / mall owner and more tax $ for the local city/town. Riverside park was a great track, it's the property 6 Flags in Mass is on. I anticipate when the matriarch of the clan running Seekonk goes the track will go soon after.
    I hope Waterford's problems are all behind them as that's a great track.

14. Mopardh9

Mopardh9 Team Owner

I heard Waterford is getting their NASCAR sanction back for next season, agreed that is a good track.

15. DRS3

DRS3 Team Owner

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  16. Charlie Spencer

NASCAR didn't own it, so I'm not sure how it could have saved it. Moving the race dates wasn't its choice to make; it can't force track owners to apply for race dates.

17. FenderBumper

Seems like ISC wouldn't give Roger many race dates at his tracks. Once ISC bought those tracks, they started getting more Cup races.

LewTheShoe and Charlie Spencer like this.
  18. Charlie Spencer

Ditto, November '95. Three cars (Kenny Wallace, Todd Bodine, and Johnny Benson?) came off turn 4 for the last time, banging on each other, and I was hooked. :)

19. Charlie Spencer

I recall Penske only having three tracks (Cali, Michigan, Rock), and at the time they all had two dates. I could be incorrect again; I'm used to it.

20. FenderBumper

No, you're right. It was just the Rock that had a single date when Penske owned it.

21. Charlie Spencer

The Rock had two dates throughout its history (including Penske's ownership) except the final year (2004). Racing Reference backs me up on that one.

https://www.racing-reference.info/tracks/Rockingham_Speedway

FenderBumper and Spotter22 like this.
  22. FenderBumper

Geez, I can't get anything right today. * turns computer off *

;)

23. Charlie Spencer

Here, have a beer. :cheers: All better now?

24. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Yeah NASCAR has gave Rockingham quite a few chances.

25. FenderBumper

Drinking at 10 AM would make things a lot worse.

26. SpeedPagan

SpeedPagan The iRacing Guru

I always thought The Rock's problem was that it was out in the middle of nowhere and the logistics of hosting a NASCAR weekend in the nearest town (a small town at that) would've been a nightmare.

27. FenderBumper

ISC and NASCAR are owned and run by the France family. ISC bought the track in '99, and they moved the dates to other ISC tracks.

(Gee, I hope I'm right this time. :) )

28. FenderBumper

That seems to be the prevailing opinion as to why attendance dropped, but the track was in the same spot while it was selling more tickets in previous years.

This is the era where nascar tracks were adding seats. Perhaps they felt the Rock would never draw as big a crowd as a 1.5 in a better location.

29. MRM

MRM Team Owner

You are correct. I've seen a number of local tracks be for sale and the ones that get demolished are the ones where new owners don't say much or say anything at all.

30. Charlie Spencer

You're correct, but that doesn't mean the organizations are one and the same. ISC certainly could have taken more actions to save Rockingham (assuming it was interested in doing so), but ISC and NASCAR aren't interchangeable terms.

31. Tight in Loose off

Tight in Loose off Team Owner

We used to call the rock D.U.I international! That’s why the fans stopped going! I say good riddance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32. FenderBumper

:) * stops reading *
    ;)

33. Formerjackman

Formerjackman Team Owner

The France family have played that separate/together act forever depending which answer suits their desires at any given time. The company I work for does the exact same thing with their various subsidiaries and frankly, it's all a bunch of BS for the people gullible enough to swallow it. If you can tell me the last time "NASCAR" wanted something and "ISC" said no, then I'll change my tune. The only difference now is that since ISC is a publically traded company, they have to be a LOT more transparent in their business dealings than NASCAR has to be, which was a fatal mistake on their part in my opinion. Absolute control is always better than getting the absolute last dollar in my book.

FenderBumper and Charlie Spencer like this.
  34. Charlie Spencer

Yeah, I can be a stickler for accuracy. On the other hand, it's just as easy to point the finger at ISC, where it more accurately belongs; easier, actually, since it's fewer letters to type :D

35. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

and there is plenty of finger pointing around here. 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

36. Mopardh9

Mopardh9 Team Owner

Well most of it is truth;)

37. FenderBumper

The anti-trust dance.

38. Charlie Spencer

The property has changed hands and no one here has any insight as to what's to become of it.

Thanks.

39. Formerjackman

Formerjackman Team Owner

I've thought for years that either the France family should own ALL of the tracks, or NONE of the tracks. It would simplify some of this dancing around the fire we get now.

40. FenderBumper

I think they run into anti-trust problems if they own all the tracks and the series under a single corporation, while forbidding owners and drivers from participating in a competing stock car series. Kez mentioned how this situation (ISC interests vs NASCAR interests) hinders nascars ability to adjust the schedule. He mentioned it once, and Lesa threw a fit and it was silence after that.