The Rock has been bought

I wonder how the festival is going over there, from what I’ve seen on Twitter it has been an absolute disaster with traffic issues and weather. It’s even been called FyreFestival 2.0. Yikes. I saw on Reddit someone got into the track but they didn’t post any pictures, I was More interested in pictures of the track to see how it’s doing.

I wonder how the festival is going over there, from what I’ve seen on Twitter it has been an absolute disaster with traffic issues and weather. It’s even been called FyreFestival 2.0. Yikes. I saw on Reddit someone got into the track but they didn’t post any pictures, I was More interested in pictures of the track to see how it’s doing.
Traffic is a disaster because ncdot has been dragging their feet in widening the highway and they're in the middle of road construction.

100k+ people there yesterday was the report.

We had some wicked weather come through about 430 this afternoon that caused some damage locally. They evacuated the event.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Traffic is a disaster because ncdot has been dragging their feet in widening the highway and they're in the middle of road construction.

100k+ people there yesterday was the report.

We had some wicked weather come through about 430 this afternoon that caused some damage locally. They evacuated the event.

I have seen on Twitter people got into the track, the Rock itself doesn’t look half bad. Looks like they kept the place up. So if indeed NCdot finishes their traffic project, it could accommodate Cup traffic?

I have seen on Twitter people got into the track, the Rock itself doesn’t look half bad. Looks like they kept the place up. So if indeed NCdot finishes their traffic project, it could accommodate Cup traffic?
I scrolled through the pissing and moaning on Facebook

Looks like it's a staffing issue and traffic control is the major issue. They're making people come down 177 and circle around to us1. Not the way to do it IMO.

It accommodated Cup traffic before. A Cup race would be reserved seating and the place only seats maybe 35 or 40K these days.

Developing a traffic plan is one of the more minor obstacles to overcome to get a NASCAR touring series. Finding a hole in a schedule is much bigger.

Kind of relieved I couldn't go to Epicenter. Sounded like an Epic****show.

I can't believe that small strip of highway still isn't completed. They were working on that **** when I went there in 2009.

Actually, I lied. I can. NCDOT is horrendous at this. Same agency that celebrated opening an interstate expansion 20 years behind schedule.

I guess I don't share the same optomism that some do. I don't think cup racing is going to show up any time soon. just keeping the doors open is a major accomplishment if they can do that. Sounds like having too many people is a good problem to have.

That's what confused me too. Both Daytona and Las Vegas host their music festivals inside of the speedway in the infield. It gives the actual venue exposure.

could be the place isn't ready to be trashed yet. They have oddles of space outside of the track

I looked at a lot of the festival promos and could tell it was going to be at the drag strip. I’ve never understood what this event has to do with the oval. The strip is a separate property and business with a different owner and always has been.

The festivals ads advertised the speedway itself, even had pictures of the oval in the logo.

IIRC, they signed a multi-year deal to hold the Epicenter festival at Rockingham Speedway. Although, after this fiasco, I'd be surprised if it happens next year. At the least, I could see it moving to Charlotte Motor Speedway like Carolina Rebellion before.

Fyre Festival made for an awesome documentary though. I can't wait to see the documentaries about Epicenter, the Alliance of American Football, and Woodstock 50 (which is shaping up to be a calamity too).

What a time to be alive.

Yeah the weather was awful tickets went down to like $6 I would have gone without prior commitments. But I heard traffic getting in and out was ridiculous. Some bands like Tool didn't even get to play. And I know that's a hefty price tag. I'm sure they made some money but I bet you they didn't make as much as they thought they would.

Rockingham was always notorious for bad traffic after the race, why this surprised the new owners is baffling. Its a 2 lane highway

Anyone hear anything about The Rock??? They’ve been VERY quite since they the music concert they had evidently was a disaster with the traffic issues and weather......beginning to doubt we’ll ever see anything on track here again after their Twitter hinted at things happening behind the scenes. Call me naive in the first place

Anyone hear anything about The Rock??? They’ve been VERY quite since they the music concert they had evidently was a disaster with the traffic issues and weather......beginning to doubt we’ll ever see anything on track here again after their Twitter hinted at things happening behind the scenes. Call me naive in the first place

Losing that music festival to CMS has to hurt.

Still pass the track once every week or 2. Crews still out there working. The highway widening project on us 1 is just about complete. Idk, we'll see... no news is bad news imo

Epicenter isn't returning to Rockingham. Going to Charlotte instead.

https://www.wsoctv.com/living/features/3-day-rock-festival-returns-to-charlotte/996089103

And we, the taxpayers, are paying for Rockingham Speedway to sit there.

I knew that festival wasn’t returning to The Rock weeks ago, that’s why I searched this thread and asked if anything is going on with the track because as of now you don’t hear anything. Even their twitter hasn’t sent anything out since May. I would take that as not a good sign.

I knew that festival wasn’t returning to The Rock weeks ago, that’s why I searched this thread and asked if anything is going on with the track because as of now you don’t hear anything. Even their twitter hasn’t sent anything out since May. I would take that as not a good sign.
I'm not sure if it was Lovenheim or if it was the guy whos over the concerts fault..

He allowed 1 entry and 1 exit onto the facility during the festival. Both the nc highway patrol as well as the nc dot advised him it was an absolute god awful and not feasible plan. This was so they could search people for drugs, as they has k9s at the gates.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Literally shot themselves in their own foot.

The fact that the highway patrol and DOT allow regular folks to make those decisions is what's laughable. They should've spearheaded that from the jump.

I'm not sure if it was Lovenheim or if it was the guy whos over the concerts fault..

He allowed 1 entry and 1 exit onto the facility during the festival. Both the nc highway patrol as well as the nc dot advised him it was an absolute god awful and not feasible plan. This was so they could search people for drugs, as they has k9s at the gates.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Literally shot themselves in their own foot.

NCDOT being slow at road work doesn't help. Took them 15 years to widen three miles of that road. LOL.

I'm not sure how it could bed Lovenheim's fault. Everything I'd read before or heard afterward confirmed nothing about the event was on the Rockingham Speedway property. The festival itself was held on the separately-owned drag strip property. There was camping on the other side of the Rock oval and people walked across the property to get there. I'm still waiting for some confirmation the oval property was ever involved.

I'm not sure how it could bed Lovenheim's fault. Everything I'd read before or heard afterward confirmed nothing about the event was on the Rockingham Speedway property. The festival itself was held on the separately-owned drag strip property. There was camping on the other side of the Rock oval and people walked across the property to get there. I'm still waiting for some confirmation the oval property was ever involved.
I saw on Instagram and twitter people were sneaking over to the oval to see the track, but you’re right I don’t think the oval property was ever involved in the concert festivities

I saw on Instagram and twitter people were sneaking over to the oval to see the track, but you’re right I don’t think the oval property was ever involved in the concert festivities

It was on the dragstrip property, but largely advertised as being at the oval.

Also heard that a race that was legitimately in the works to be held at Rockingham is not happening now.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't have faith right now.

I frequently have to verify I'm actually on Racing-Forums as this place sure seems like TMZ/The Enquirer sometimes. Lots of super judgmental people here. Everybody is in such a hurry to tear things down.

Have you seen anything in the last 16 months to inspire optimism? If Andy H. couldn't make it work with his experience in the sport, what indicates these folks will do any better? It's not negative to say that so far they've done essentially nothing; not when it's true.

Last edited:
It was on the dragstrip property, but largely advertised as being at the oval.

Also heard that a race that was legitimately in the works to be held at Rockingham is not happening now.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't have faith right now.
What Series was supposed to race there and why is it not happening now? If you can answer

It's not happening right now because Richmond County still never really recovered from the recession. The coastal counties in the area have experienced an economic boom. Not many inland counties have reaped the same rewards. The dragway still seems to bring a decent crowd, the infrastructure currently isn't there for a cup weekend YET.

Have you seen anything in the last 16 months to inspire optimism? If Andy H. couldn't make it work with his experience in the sport, what indicates these folks will do any better? It's not negative to say that so far they've done essentially nothing; not when it's true.
I disagreed with your outlook initially but it’s been dead silent since May. I don’t think they are getting any racing back at this point and now you wonder what’s next? I’ve come around to your side in that until the actual green flag is waved I’m done being a believer that racing is coming back. Which is a damn shame because the track is so unique and puts a premium on driver skill hustling that car around the place with the caveat....taking care of the tires

Back
Top Bottom