The Rolex and Jeff Gordon

Took the lead after the #5 car had a right rear come apart.

Minus his out-lap and in-lap, his rain stint times were:

View attachment 24021

Compared to the #5's (pitted on laps 240 and 242):

View attachment 24022

He was really slow and it took him a while to get going but eventually he started clocking decent lap times.

He seemed like a bit of a wheel holder and a fish out of water in the rain.... but I was loving every minute of it.

1067327_web1_16x9IMSADaytonaRolexAutoRacing--2-.jpg

"Finish first"

AND second, and run third most of the day too.
Almost two years in the making. I thought this was pretty cool:

2015:

• February, Dallara begins chassis design.
  • April, Dallara evaluates engine installation of V6 vs. V8.
  • May, first the first handmade DPi-V.R car concept from Dallara presented to Cadillac.
  • November, Cadillac design begins collaboration with Dallara on body styling.
  • November, ECR begins engine development.
  • November, engine installation simulations on CAD.
2016:

• January full-size clay model at Cadillac Design.
  • April, Cosworth begins electronics design.
  • June, Cosworth electronics meet Dallara chassis in Italy.
  • July, first spark, Cadillac 6.2L V8 engine runs in first car.
  • August, first Cadillac DPi-V.R received by Wayne Taylor Racin team in Indianapolis.
  • September, first rollout at Putnam Park in Indiana.
  • September, Action Express receives first car, shake down in North Carolina.
  • October, Action Express and Wayne Taylor Racing test at Bowling Green Corvette Test Track.
  • October, test at Watkins Glen International.
  • October, Action Express car two delivered. Test at Watkins Glen International.
  • November, 24-hour test at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Jeff Gordon first drive. A significant portion of the test was run in the rain.
  • November, Action Express test at Road Atlanta.
  • December, Cadillac announces return to IMSA prototype racing with Cadillac DPi-V.R.
  • December, Cadillac DPi-V.R breaks cover at IMSA test at Daytona International Speedway.
  • December, Action Express tests both cars at Sebring.
2017:

• January, Roar before the 24 test, all three Cadillac DPi-V.R racecars on the track.
  • Since August over 3,000 testing miles have been logged by the No. 10 Konica Minolta Cadillac DPi-V.R. Cadillac teams amassed 1,947 miles at the Roar Before the 24 test in early January.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/137969-rolex-24-concludes-long-cadillac-development-timeline

That's one of the sad things about Nascar today.With the muti car teams you will unlikely ever see this happen in Nascar with today's rules.The muti car teams have a huge advantage over anyone trying to start up a team today.I can understand the excitement of sports car racing with the millennials they're attracting.

Funny you say that because I'm a millennial and I'll be watching the series much more closely than ever before. I've been watching the Rolex 24 since at least 2004, but something seems different (in a good way) more recently. The series merger has finally settled into a groove with the new prototypes, the GTLM class is awesome and the BoP seems to be really effective now, and I like that the sport has more of an underground feel if you know what I mean. NASCAR sometimes can feel like you're riding a sinking ship, but IMSA right now feels like a rising star.

Funny you say that because I'm a millennial and I'll be watching the series much more closely than ever before. I've been watching the Rolex 24 since at least 2004, but something seems different (in a good way) more recently. The series merger has finally settled into a groove with the new prototypes, the GTLM class is awesome and the BoP seems to be really effective now, and I like that the sport has more of an underground feel if you know what I mean. NASCAR sometimes can feel like you're riding a sinking ship, but IMSA right now feels like a rising star.
That GTLM race had my non racing wife watching with us,I'm new and it's got me hooked

The past 3 or so years have really put on great racing with an awesome finish.

This year was something else though with the debut of the new prototypes, the upped manufacturer involvement....

It translated to 2 great finishes this year. Freaking awesome.

I must admit I am always hyped on US sports car racing during and after the 24, but once racing season hits full swing it loses a lot of my interest.. I'm going to make a point to pay better attention this year.

Seems like the 24 drew a lot more attention this year. FL posted from the track saying the attendance was up, and that was in less than ideal weather. I hope it lasts.

Back
Top Bottom