THREE DAY RACE WEEKENDS

Revman

Denny beat your favorite driver....again!
Okay, Gluck posted a great article in the Athletic about how three day race weekends are basically gone. While I get it from the owner's pocket book perspective, I, for one, am really bummed. Loved Fridays when only the hard core fans came out, and moving around a track was easy. I could live with Practice on Saturday mornings, and then qualifying in the afternoons, but I HATE one day shows. Your thoughts...

And Fox and NBC want to make up for it with ....... iRacing.

It looks like NASCAR is absolutely sold on iRacing being the future of the sport.

Not my future in this sport. I get those who like it, but not me. Can't stand it.

I would like to see the haulers get to the track on Friday. Tracks should open the garages to everybody on Fridays so that those of us who live to watch the mechanics work on the cars get a chance we didn't have previously. Tighten the thing up again on Saturdays because the garages are hot, and then give the pretty people access on Sundays like usual. Give me this format, and I am still coming on Thursday for my weekend.

Lack of practice makes the race more entertaining and qualifying has been awfully watered down. Drop the ticket prices down to reflect a single day event and cost of accommodations should follow.

eh, I have a lot of legitimate gripes on both sides. I made up my mind to try to follow the I racing. Get to know who the hot shoes are in that series and see how it goes. Beats nothing...maybe

More local and modified programming would be cool.

Change up between iRacing and lower level programming would be great.

Even like replays of weekly, modified, and ARCA could be filler. However, I'm guessing it's fairly inexpensive to air iRacing compared to taking full-on production crews to different locations a the time.

I like iRacing, but I'd rather play than watch. It's addictive in itself once you get accustomed to it.

I think iRacing is a wonderful participation activity. As a spectator activity, not so much..... If I could afford a decent rig, I would be totally into DOING it, but watching other people do it , even famous drivers wore off with me pretty darn quickly. Last spring I made it through two whole races, and after that I just couldn't find a reason to care anymore.

And Fox and NBC want to make up for it with ....... iRacing.

It looks like NASCAR is absolutely sold on iRacing being the future of the sport.
I gave it a shot but just can't get into it. But then I've never cared a flip for video games either.

Lack of practice makes the race more entertaining and qualifying has been awfully watered down. Drop the ticket prices down to reflect a single day event and cost of accommodations should follow.

I just don't agree on the lack of practice improving the quality of the racing. Qualifying has been watered down because of the package and how it races.

I feel like one day shows crap on those (such as myself) who travel 2-3 times a year to races, and would give my left nut just to listen to a Toyota at idle. I want every lap I can get. Sunday is almost anti-climatic for me. I love the practice/qualifying and how it sets the stage for Sunday.

I fear that eliminating so much on track activity is going to put a final nail in the coffin of live attendance, especially the people that camp and make a whole weekend of it, an area that I feel could be a real potential area for growth, and dovetails nicely with the new focus on road racing, which goes hand in hand with camping. It's nice to say how great it is that the teams are saving all this money, but nobody wants to talk about just how we got to this sad state of affairs in the first place.

I fear that eliminating so much on track activity is going to put a final nail in the coffin of live attendance, especially the people that camp and make a whole weekend of it, an area that I feel could be a real potential area for growth, and dovetails nicely with the new focus on road racing, which goes hand in hand with camping. It's nice to say how great it is that the teams are saving all this money, but nobody wants to talk about just how we got to this sad state of affairs in the first place.

Amen.

A veeery looooong time ago I would travel to Florida and spend 3 weeks having a great time and we would get to the track 3 or 4 times to watch races of cars that never made it to Canadian TV. Tracks will go back to that style of making money once the TV contracts are up and the easy money stops flowing. Those that like to spend the week end partying will still be be to do that and the Grand finally will still be the Cup race.

Considering there is a pandemic going on, I don't want to be the bunch that had to make out a racing schedule a year in advance. I'm with SDJ, line em up and drop the flag we're damn lucky to have a race.

Considering there is a pandemic going on, I don't want to be the bunch that had to make out a racing schedule a year in advance. I'm with SDJ, line em up and drop the flag we're damn lucky to have a race.

Eh, I don't know....they knew where they could run them. Same places as the college bowl games....and Oklahoma....and I don't think having a race is about luck...it's about politics. I get one day shows given the financial climate because of the pandemic, but I don't think this sport lends itself to a stick and ball show up and play kind of thing. Again, many who have been to a million races have lost sight of how awesome it is to have two days of build up, and then the show....and they have forgotten that the first time you see and hear those cars altogether is the last time you see and hear those cars altogether--and that is awesome.... I was unaware that Oklahoma had officially recognized that there was a pandemic. Good to know.

Eh, I don't know....they knew where they could run them. Same places as the college bowl games....and Oklahoma....and I don't think having a race is about luck...it's about politics. I get one day shows given the financial climate because of the pandemic, but I don't think this sport lends itself to a stick and ball show up and play kind of thing. Again, many who have been to a million races have lost sight of how awesome it is to have two days of build up, and then the show....and they have forgotten that the first time you see and hear those cars altogether is the last time you see and hear those cars altogether--and that is awesome.... I was unaware that Oklahoma had officially recognized that there was a pandemic. Good to know.
There have been many places in the country recently that have had to re tighten their restrictions are what I was getting at. Predicting months in advance that it will be ok to have a racing event, much less one that has a three day time limit with camping, fun and games, plenty of corn holeing is impossible. Maybe year after next would be a good time to start complaining about three day weekends if they don't come about.

There have been many places in the country recently that have had to re tighten their restrictions are what I was getting at. Predicting months in advance that it will be ok to have a racing event, much less one that has a three day time limit with camping, fun and games, plenty of corn holeing is impossible. Maybe year after next would be a good time to start complaining about three day weekends if they don't come about.
I am fine with one day shows in the name of COVID safety and the financial realities of this sport during a pandemic. If you had read the Gluck article--which you apparently didn't...the conversation is about moving forward post-COVID. In fact, I think the Phelps already indicated that there would be practice, etc. in '22 with the new car. I think this is a model that ownership is falling in love with for reasons other than COVID safety, and preserving bank accounts hammered by COVID. The framework had been set for what NASCAR was to do next year....the science said it....the politics said it....what they did with the schedule next year was completely predictable and not a surprise. Merry Christmas buddy!

Okay, Gluck posted a great article in the Athletic about how three day race weekends are basically gone. While I get it from the owner's pocket book perspective, I, for one, am really bummed. Loved Fridays when only the hard core fans came out, and moving around a track was easy. I could live with Practice on Saturday mornings, and then qualifying in the afternoons, but I HATE one day shows. Your thoughts...

Hmm I thought you were painting the picture that 3 day weekends were gone?
I am fine with one day shows in the name of COVID safety and the financial realities of this sport during a pandemic. If you had read the Gluck article--which you apparently didn't...the conversation is about moving forward post-COVID. In fact, I think the Phelps already indicated that there would be practice, etc. in '22 with the new car. I think this is a model that ownership is falling in love with for reasons other than COVID safety, and preserving bank accounts hammered by COVID. The framework had been set for what NASCAR was to do next year....the science said it....the politics said it....what they did with the schedule next year was completely predictable and not a surprise. Merry Christmas buddy!
Get back to me when things change. People that think the future is set in stone are always amusing

I have absolutely no control over what Nascar does or does not do, so, as long as 40 Hot Rods show up to race and it entertains me, I will watch.
This. It is the root of our passion.

“New normal” changed it forever, wouldn’t even be surprised if fans don’t come back.

“New normal” changed it forever, wouldn’t even be surprised if fans don’t come back.

Well, NASCAR is going to have to be careful here.....My Auto Club package price was unchanged....and I don't think they were planning to run three days until the cancellation. You tried to squeeze the fan on three days, and give them even two without a price reduction, and that will be a problem. Like I have said, there are things that can be done--open garages on Fridays.....but we shall see.

Hmm I thought you were painting the picture that 3 day weekends were gone?

Get back to me when things change. People that think the future is set in stone are always amusing

You didn't say "Merry Christmas!" back. Stone cold. The Nuggie Crew is high fiving though.

Guess the drivers will be taking a pay cut since they will be in the car fewer days and will be promoting sponsors fewer times during race weekend. As of iracing, I doubt I would ever watch again, unless someone in my immediately fan was playing the game.

Uhhhhhhh...if you painted a picture of the typical NASCAR fan and a picture of the typical person who isn't taking covid as a serious threat you'd be looking at the same person. They'll be back. They packed 30k in at Bristol in May. I would honestly expect at-track attendance to re-bound significantly due to pent up demand.

I'm looking at potentially 4 Cup race weekends next year myself. Spring Martinsville with a buddy, Fall Richmond with my dad, and driving cross country doing Fall Martinsville and Fall Phoenix as I am moving to Utah in the Fall from Connecticut.

Did we all see the RCR offsite command center?
I'm not worried one iota about a race team saving money when this is the new normal.
If those in charge feel that teams need to reduce costs by lessening the fan experience while spending exponentially on technology I think someone is losing sight of the fanbase once again.

speaking of race weekends, I wish there was a race today for my own selfish reasons....... theres nothing on right now. I know these crew and drivers are people too and more than deserve the time off but gosh throw me a bone here lol. Im to the point of the off season I miss racing. Carry on with the 3 day weekend discussion, my own two cents is I hope they go back to the way it was. I really miss watching over the course of a weekend with 3 or 4 practices, a crew chief and crew dialing in a car and making it better as the weekend wore on. I really thought there was some ingenuity, talent and cohesion in that, I hold out hope once this Rona madness is over our racing weekends go back to normal. Not only does the speed aspect of racing make me a fan, but I always thought it was very awesome to watch crews work on a car and follow those gains up the speed charts. I kind of miss that. I also think the out of town fans who traveled in to the track as well as those camping got more bang for the buck with on track activity Friday-Sunday, its already costly enough to attend out of town racing those folks deserve more than a one day show.

speaking of race weekends, I wish there was a race today for my own selfish reasons....... theres nothing on right now. I know these crew and drivers are people too and more than deserve the time off but gosh throw me a bone here lol. Im to the point of the off season I miss racing. Carry on with the 3 day weekend discussion, my own two cents is I hope they go back to the way it was. I really miss watching over the course of a weekend with 3 or 4 practices, a crew chief and crew dialing in a car and making it better as the weekend wore on. I really thought there was some ingenuity, talent and cohesion in that, I hold out hope once this Rona madness is over our racing weekends go back to normal. Not only does the speed aspect of racing make me a fan, but I always thought it was very awesome to watch crews work on a car and follow those gains up the speed charts. I kind of miss that. I also think the out of town fans who traveled in to the track as well as those camping got more bang for the buck with on track activity Friday-Sunday, its already costly enough to attend out of town racing those folks deserve more than a one day show.
Another good reason for Nascar to have its own channel in that during the off season they could show 1 hr. programs of race highlights. ( mind you I would prefer they don't do the crash highlights like their regular commercials)

I don't see why they can't squeeze one practice in to at least shake down the car. No practices did create some drama, I'll give em that. But at least with one practice we would see them out there racing laps checking out what they have to race with.

I think the point here is that this appears to be the long-term direction: Less track time.

NASCAR is definitely becoming more geared towards TV at the expense of the fan experience.

I think the point here is that this appears to be the long-term direction: Less track time.

NASCAR is definitely becoming more geared towards TV at the expense of the fan experience.

I've been saying exactly that for years and been called a kook for saying it........

The fans are great, the tracks make a bundle selling motor home spots and selling swag and concessions, but that doesn't compare to the income made from televising the racing so fans everywhere around the world can watch. I think they are gearing for simpler less expensive solutions for teams to compete also. Teams can burn thru three, four sets of tires easily with two practices and qualifying. I think there are more two and three day events this year with Cup, Xfinity and the Trucks racing at the same venue. One of the more interesting tracks this year will be the COTA with Nascar going all in with all three series racing there. I wonder what the turnout will be for that weekend.

I don't see why they can't squeeze one practice in to at least shake down the car. No practices did create some drama, I'll give em that. But at least with one practice we would see them out there racing laps checking out what they have to race with.
I am pretty sure they arrive the day before so I think they could have 1 hr on race day
just to shake down the car.

The accountants like not having to record the costs of preparing spare cars every week.

And not transporting them to the other side of the continent and back.

Open the damn garages on Friday. Yeah, that might mean that crews have to get there early, but I really think that that would be cool....the track would be cold, so the numbers of people who would come in on Friday would be increased, but NASCAR wouldn't have to worry about limiting numbers...and it wouldn't be like a million people there anyway. One practice and qualifying on Saturday, race on Sunday. I have always hated the exclusivity of the garages. I don't want damn access to the drivers----I want car time! I would go a step further moving forward. NASCAR's excuse for limiting garage access is because the garages are hot during practices. Make them shut them down, and push them to the garages during practices if they need to work on them. That way, you cold have more people in the garages without the risk. Teams would hate that, but right now set up off of the truck is crucial.....keep it crucial so you don't have to wheel the thing back and/or change the way you make changes (at the end of practice instead of during).

Back
Top Bottom