Time to flame away @ Chocolate

You must admit, Meyers does have passion for his driver but attributing a building of grandstands because of him? I don't think so.
I was around and active "back in the day" and recall vividly how and when NASCAR began a slow increase and then a giant leap of popularity. I recall attending NASCAR races in the late 1950's when small crowds - small by todays standards - attended those races. Very little growth back then and through the sixties.

The movement began with the televised Daytona 500 and the infamous Yarborough / Allison duel on and off the track. It BOOMED after Smokey and the Bandit. Hal Needham and Bert Reynolds, two relatively insignificant players did more to boost NASCAR popularity than any given driver. If you could find attendance statistics for those days you would see the increase. Yes, Dale, Sr. was driving then, as were Rusty, Richard, Ricky, Harry, and so many others.
Dale's status as #5 is questionable, but he is not who made NASCAR what it was at its peak, although he definitely helped, as did those already mentioned.

I think Earnhardt should be over Gordon but honestly the top 4/5 is pretty interchangeable, you could make a reasonable case for a lot of different orders

Welp, if you believe what you hear here, the sport is ****** now. If you believe what the Choc says, our perception of the past is ******. So, I guess the whole damn sport is ****** because we hate it now, and we hate our memory of what was. We don't have a present, we don't have a past, and we don't have a future. Not sure there is much left. Still trying to figure out how I had the time of my life in Fontana.....again.

Welp, if you believe what you hear here, the sport is ****** now. If you believe what the Choc says, our perception of the past is ******. So, I guess the whole damn sport is ****** because we hate it now, and we hate our memory of what was. We don't have a present, we don't have a past, and we don't have a future. Not sure there is much left. Still trying to figure out how I had the time of my life in Fontana.....again.

I ain't goin anywhere! :D I still like it. :punkrocke

So... you say you enjoy the racing?

startrekborg42.jpg

Ricky Rudd needs more love. I enjoyed watching the Rooster race

Ricky Rudd was on one of the Sirius Nascar shows over the holidays last year (off-season) and he sat in the studio for about an hour telling stories about how he came up into Cup racing, and answering questions. It was awesome. What a cool dude.

I'll never forget that time at Martinsville when it was about 95 degrees (probably 120+ on the track) and Rudd was leading - but his cooling unit went out. He hung in there to win the race but he was so exhausted and dehydrated that Dr. Jerry Punch had to change roles from victory lane interviewer to medical doctor and supervise getting Ricky cooled down. After a few minutes, Dr. Jerry took his mic back and Ricky gave the interview laying down. That was awesome.

Well, you have to admit, it will get people talking and get publicity. And even negative publicity will still get people talking/watching/listening.
SR said.....doesnt matter if they are booing, at least they are talking about you...

Ricky Rudd was on one of the Sirius Nascar shows over the holidays last year (off-season) and he sat in the studio for about an hour telling stories about how he came up into Cup racing, and answering questions. It was awesome. What a cool dude.

I'll never forget that time at Martinsville when it was about 95 degrees (probably 120+ on the track) and Rudd was leading - but his cooling unit went out. He hung in there to win the race but he was so exhausted and dehydrated that Dr. Jerry Punch had to change roles from victory lane interviewer to medical doctor and supervise getting Ricky cooled down. After a few minutes, Dr. Jerry took his mic back and Ricky gave the interview laying down. That was awesome.

I clearly remember that, they also were going to cool him down with water from a hose but almost scalded him because they did not clear the extremely hot water from the hose before they put it on him.
Rick was one of the reason I got interested in Nascar. He is a tough guy.

I clearly remember that, they also were going to cool him down with water from a hose but almost scalded him because they did not clear the extremely hot water from the hose before they put it on him.
Rick was one of the reason I got interested in Nascar. He is a tough guy.
He was a badass. Ran a Daytona 500 with his eyelids taped open due to a crash the weekend before that was so violent his eyes swelled shut. What concussion?

And Harvick thought he could intimidate him........LOL!

Reactions: sdj
He was a badass. Ran a Daytona 500 with his eyelids taped open due to a crash the weekend before that was so violent his eyes swelled shut. What concussion?

And Harvick thought he could intimidate him........LOL!
I remember after he Harvick walked across the hood of Rudds car after the race and about started a fight. They asked Rudd what Harvick said to him and Rudd said " i dont know, he's got that little yip yip mouth and I cant understand him"

Reactions: sdj

Holy crap, I forgot about that. He came up in moto-cross. He didn't get into a race-car until he was 18.

Holy crap, I forgot about that. He came up in moto-cross. He didn't get into a race-car until he was 18.

Moto-cross is one tough and mean sport. Few sports require long term concentration while enduring physically demanding action in racing. While auto racing is also a long term concentration type sport, few others - and right off the top of my head cannot think of any - demands what motocross does from the human body and mind. Ricky Rudd truly deserved the monicker, "Rooster."

Moto-cross is one tough and mean sport. Few sports require long term concentration while enduring physically demanding action in racing. While auto racing is also a long term concentration type sport, few others - and right off the top of my head cannot think of any - demands what motocross does from the human body and mind. Ricky Rudd truly deserved the monicker, "Rooster."
Didn't Jimmy Johnson start off in MC?

One of the most bad ass racing moments I ever seen. Dude was about to pass out..... and won the damn race. Wish there were more like Rudd.

One of the most bad ass racing moments I ever seen. Dude was about to pass out..... and won the damn race. Wish there were more like Rudd.
I seem to remember they doused him with water in the race when his cool suit quit and it worked until the water laying in his seat got so hot it burned/steamed him. Like pretty substantial burns of his backside if I remember correctly?

Say it ain't so! I think there are quite a few people on this forum that are big Nascar fans including yourself and I know I really enjoyed Nascar for many years. These days I normally watch parts of the race and I don't know that I have even seen the end of a race so far this year. I may watch a stage or a stage and a half and that is normally good enough. I was hoping Martinsville was going to be a race I saw all of but I didn't think it was a great race by any means.

These days I normally watch parts of the race and I don't know that I have even seen the end of a race so far this year. I may watch a stage or a stage and a half and that is normally good enough. I was hoping Martinsville was going to be a race I saw all of but I didn't think it was a great race by any means.

This is hilarious. When my interest in a sporting event is limited, I tend to watch the end if I watch at all. How do you have the curiosity and patience to watch "a stage", essentially an early quarter of a race, but then some force habitually intervenes and you lose all interest in the outcome?

I read the stuff and am most often reminded of low cost packaged lunch meat.

This is hilarious. When my interest in a sporting event is limited, I tend to watch the end if I watch at all. How do you have the curiosity and patience to watch "a stage", essentially an early quarter of a race, but then some force habitually intervenes and you lose all interest in the outcome?

Back in the 70's there was a song by BT Express called "Do It (Til You're Satisfied)" and that is what I do with respect to Nascar. I have not watched the Homestead finale for years as the championship is not important to me especially now the lottery is in effect. The race winner doesn't matter to me as I don't root for or against anyone and don't see much in the way of the manufacturer so I watch until I am satisfied and move on. No malevolent forces involved just doing what works for me.

Back in the 70's there was a song by BT Express called "Do It (Til You're Satisfied)" and that is what I do with respect to Nascar. I have not watched the Homestead finale for years as the championship is not important to me especially now the lottery is in effect. The race winner doesn't matter to me as I don't root for or against anyone and don't see much in the way of the manufacturer so I watch until I am satisfied and move on. No malevolent forces involved just doing what works for me.
I dont think someone who spends as much time on a message board about racing as you do just casually watches on TV. Its ok, just tell everybody you still watch.

Mark Martin not even on the list? How many times did he come in 2nd place behind 7 time winner Earnhart? And how many races did Mark beat Dale Sr. in the IROC series? I was going to ask what ever happened to IROC series, but then realized IROC didn't go away it became NA$CAR stage racing.

Mark Martin not even on the list? How many times did he come in 2nd place behind 7 time winner Earnhart? And how many races did Mark beat Dale Sr. in the IROC series? I was going to ask what ever happened to IROC series, but then realized IROC didn't go away it became NA$CAR stage racing.
Mark is on the list and IROC and Cup arent even in the same Universe.

I dont think someone who spends as much time on a message board about racing as you do just casually watches on TV. Its ok, just tell everybody you still watch.

I definitely watch as I have seen parts of every race this year.

Thats like watching part of a movie. Whats the point? Tough it out man and give it a chance.

From the last explanation, he seems to treat it like a different kind of movie, devoid of any importance of what happens in the story. It is an activity that 'satisfies' him to a point, and then he is fully 'satisfied' and is done being satisfied for the week.

Other times it seems more like he hopes that it will keep satisfying him until it doesn't, and then he gives up. Regardless, it is a bit too bizarre to be totally untrue. Truth is stranger than fiction.

#ibelievehim

Last edited:
From the last explanation, he seems to treat it like a different kind of movie, devoid of any importance of what happens in the story. It is an activity that 'satisfies' him to a point, and then he is fully 'satisfied' and is done being satisfied for the week.

Other times it seems more like he hopes that it will keep satisfying him until it doesn't, and then he gives up. Regardless, it is a bit too bizarre to be totally untrue. Truth is stranger than fiction.

#ibelievehim
Its bizarre for sure.

I would find it bizarre to sit and watch something I wasn’t enjoying or didn’t find compelling. Why would I spend discretionary time engaged in something that wasn’t satisfying? Who is the arbiter of what I should watch and how I should watch it?

Why would anyone give a hoot in the first place?

I would find it bizarre to sit and watch something I wasn’t enjoying or didn’t find compelling. Why would I spend discretionary time engaged in something that wasn’t satisfying? Who is the arbiter of what I should watch and how I should watch it?

might be because you post your strange viewing habits almost daily? ya think?

I would find it bizarre to sit and watch something I wasn’t enjoying or didn’t find compelling. Why would I spend discretionary time engaged in something that wasn’t satisfying?

You explained to me, using the song reference, that you watch until you are satisfied and then stop. Here though it has reverted to you find it unsatisfying and give up.

I was suggesting that the final portions of races (really any event) can often be more compelling than the early ones. There's no traffic to leave ahead of when you're on the couch, so I thought you might find that a helpful tip.

I think its bizarre to frequent a website just to remind everyone how you rarely or selectively you watch something that you dont enjoy.

Twice, 1990 and 1994. Mark's other runner-up finishes were to Jeff Gordon in 1998, Tony Stewart in 2002, and Jimmie Johnson in 2009.

Ugh, man that's a lot of gut punches Mark took through his career.

One of my favorites, even though I did not see him in his prime. Absolute animal of a driver and I would say he's one of the first who really put fitness into perspective in NASCAR racing. He would be a lot higher on the list with a championship, maybe even top 10. Mark was that good, at least IMHO.

Ugh, man that's a lot of gut punches Mark took through his career.

One of my favorites, even though I did not see him in his prime. Absolute animal of a driver and I would say he's one of the first who really put fitness into perspective in NASCAR racing. He would be a lot higher on the list with a championship, maybe even top 10. Mark was that good, at least IMHO.
It's hard to not like Mark Martin. The fact that the guy damn near won a championship at 50 is pretty amazing.

It's hard to not like Mark Martin. The fact that the guy damn near won a championship at 50 is pretty amazing.
Harry Gant is the only other driver that springs to mind when you think of fifty-year-old drivers who were still familiar faces in victory lane.

You explained to me, using the song reference, that you watch until you are satisfied and then stop. Here though it has reverted to you find it unsatisfying and give up.

I was suggesting that the final portions of races (really any event) can often be more compelling than the early ones. There's no traffic to leave ahead of when you're on the couch, so I thought you might find that a helpful tip.

All I can say is that I watch cup racing in a way that I enjoy and that works for me and I don't claim it is the best way or even a good way. I have done the best I can in explaining why I watch the way I do and I never meant it to become a source of consternation. I would have never guessed any of this would be a topic of interest.

Back
Top Bottom