Time to look at playoff format?

I actually like it "at" the track. It's a nice bathroom break without missing too much.

One thing NASCAR needs badly is an MLB.TV type of set up where you can stream without commercials and pick either scanner audio, TV, or MRN/PRN for the overlay. Then just build in ads on the screen and on the intervals ticker. Would be awesome and generate solid revenue for the sport
I'd pay for some thing like that

Broadcasters currently pay NASCAR, the teams and the tracks $1 Billion per year for the privilege of interrupting races to run spots for their advertisers.

Starting 2025, expect them to be paying more than that.
The networks either need to just accept that auto racing doesn't fit into their neat little programming box and deal with it or move on. Ruining the sport you are paying so much to cover is counterproductive. The sport got to be what it was with NO TV deal, so don't tell me that taking a little less money to not allow TV to dictate every damn move NASCAR makes is a deal breaker. The France family's and lots of owners and drivers sizable fortunes were built in an era where there was no TV deal.

The networks either need to just accept that auto racing doesn't fit into their neat little programming box and deal with it or move on. Ruining the sport you are paying so much to cover is counterproductive. The sport got to be what it was with NO TV deal, so don't tell me that taking a little less money to not allow TV to dictate every damn move NASCAR makes is a deal breaker. The France family's and lots of owners and drivers sizable fortunes were built in an era where there was no TV deal.
I remember when I wanted to watch a race I had to figure out if it was on CBS, ESPN, ABC, TNN or TNT. I think you have a good point, the sport got dependent on that oh so sweet nector of TV money, sold their soul to them and now it seems TV dictates everything from race start times to points systems. I guess my point is that its not as hard to find a race now (FS1, FOX, Peacock and USA) which is great for fans. Maybe the next TV deal the sport and fans can both get what they want out of it, but honestly I've adjusted to the way the sport is now. Its not too bad

I remember when I wanted to watch a race I had to figure out if it was on CBS, ESPN, ABC, TNN or TNT. I think you have a good point, the sport got dependent on that oh so sweet nector of TV money, sold their soul to them and now it seems TV dictates everything from race start times to points systems. I guess my point is that its not as hard to find a race now (FS1, FOX, Peacock and USA) which is great for fans. Maybe the next TV deal the sport and fans can both get what they want out of it, but honestly I've adjusted to the way the sport is now. Its not too bad
That's THE choice..or a person can yell at a cloud, or if it is night time they can howl at the moon. Both accomplish the same thing...nothing.

I wonder if having a thread pinned in the forum, something like "Why Nascar races are able to be shown on TV by the networks". That will educate posters about the how and why TV networks are able to pay billions for the rights to show Nascar races.
I understand that some will never get it, but most will. I don't think anybody is excited about all of the commercials that are shown on TV, but we all should at least know the reality that the commercials are more important to the networks than any programming the networks show.
Tbh. They could do a bit more side by side type of things. Commercials 100% are indeed needed for the price Networks pay, but I don’t think more side by side would be bad, and would be a good compromise

I wouldn’t try to tell you anything. You’re Bart Simpson’s grampa.

The networks don’t have to accept anything they choose not to. In the meantime more multi-millionaires are clamoring to get into the game ... joining the ones already there.

I actually like it "at" the track. It's a nice bathroom break without missing too much.

One thing NASCAR needs badly is an MLB.TV type of set up where you can stream without commercials and pick either scanner audio, TV, or MRN/PRN for the overlay. Then just build in ads on the screen and on the intervals ticker. Would be awesome and generate solid revenue for the sport

For sure.

That's THE choice..or a person can yell at a cloud, or if it is night time they can howl at the moon. Both accomplish the same thing...nothing.
The process is exhausting. Just tell me what time the race is on and I'll tune in.

The sport got to where it was because of Winston and no one will convince me otherwise of that. It wasn't really until we lost Winston and they needed the cash flow from the TV deals that we started messing with things................

The process is exhausting. Just tell me what time the race is on and I'll tune in.
That's pretty much all a person has control of as it sits. I'm sure negotiations are taking place by the powers that be about the new TV contracts. I have faith that this bunch in charge now are sharper than Brian France who was involved in the last TV contracts.

The sport got to where it was because of Winston and no one will convince me otherwise of that. It wasn't really until we lost Winston and they needed the cash flow from the TV deals that we started messing with things................

huh. Winston supported the series for sure . And a lot of that too was the work of Bill Jr not just Winston. But it was the TV deals that took the sport nationwide and gave it the 00s era of incredible growth. The sport did not "die the day Dale died". It was not killed by the Chase. It was not adversely affected because its main sponsor, Winston, left (for a new one which paid much much much more $$$). The growth continued til 2007ish. Even then, the revenue gap between what the TV deals bring and what "everything else" brings (sponsors, ticket sales, merchandise, etc) was not that huge til a decade or so ago when the TV deals kept getting bigger and all those other items that brought in $$$ had shrank to miniscule sizes. That's when NASCAR "sold its soul" to the execs. Not 2001. Not 2005. 2012. When **** was hitting the fan and the TV networks said "lets pay you ridiculous sums of money for our industry (Television) and your industry (racing) both of which are on the rapid decline."

Probably my favorite moment of this whole 10 race for the championship circus. Them two tying for the championship. Just great great stuff.
I always thought the 10 race chase format was the perfect balance of gimmick and integrity. You couldn’t have a bad race in the final 10.

Guess not for me. Can't recall what happened in 04?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
There were five drivers that could win the title and Kurt had that moment where he lost his RF wheel and almost nailed the pit wall head-on, came back to win the title.

‘04 was a pretty incredible way to introduce the Chase. Gordon, JJ, Kurt, Jr., Mark Martin all had a shot after nine races.

Which one of the Championship 4 is underserving?

how about just points for 36 races and no stages

1 point for leading the most laps
1 point for leading a lap

50 points for the win
39 for 2nd
38 for 3rd
37 for 4th
36 for 5th

2 for 39th
1 for 40th

That was the problem with the Latford System was the lack of points given for winning the race.

Look, like it, love it, hate it, this is exactly what NASCAR wanted yesterday (for the most part). This race was a total snooze fest until the last re-start. I literally slept on the couch for most of this race and then on the last 8-10 laps, me and my 3 boys brought the roof down on top of us and watched the Ross finish about 20X over and over, laughing, yelling and in tears.

1 point for leading the most laps
1 point for leading a lap

50 points for the win
39 for 2nd
38 for 3rd
37 for 4th
36 for 5th

2 for 39th
1 for 40th

That was the problem with the Latford System was the lack of points given for winning the race.

I don't think an 11 point bonus is quite enough for a win. Also, The ONLY I way would give a point for a lap led is it would have to be under green, but even then, drivers stay out during pit cycles and get cheap points. I'd rather give points to the top five lap leaders under a 5-4-3-2-1 basis.

No reason a points battle can’t come down to 2-4 even 6 cars as we’ve seen in 1992 constantly with a season long system.

Back
Top Bottom