Tony Stewart - Speaking out

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
“I can sit here,’’ Stewart says, grabbing his phone in a conference room with reporters on the eighth floor of the NASCAR Plaza, “and I can pull up stuff on this phone that would make you cringe about the sport that drivers talk about.

“There’s 39 of these guys that 99 out of 100 times won’t say a thing about it to you guys or to NASCAR or anybody else. I’m the one guy that most of the time will go, ‘Man this is a bad thing to talk about, I shouldn’t talk about it,’ but I’ll get pissed off enough about it to talk about it because I believe it’s worth talking about.

“When you’re not getting (NASCAR’s) attention … you’re like ‘OK, now I’ve got to go a different way to get their attention to do something about it and that’s when I normally get slapped on the hand with a fine or this or that.

“That’s part of the reason I’m retiring because I’m tired of being responsible for it. It’s somebody else’s responsibility now. I’ve had my fill of it. I’ve had my fill of fighting the fight. At some point, you say, ‘Why do I keep fighting this fight when I’m not getting anywhere?’ ’’

Read the rest of this story here ===> http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/09...sibility-of-being-voice-of-sprint-cup-garage/

Brian France wants to be more than his father and grandfather. He will be known as the prodigal son who destroyed his inheritance. His sister and uncle are just as near sighted.

I think that's what he should say. JMO but I'm glad to see him leave.

Never liked Tony much but what he says is true. France is wishy- washy and doesn't have the capacity to think things through enough to stop making blunders.

“I can sit here,’’ Stewart says, grabbing his phone in a conference room with reporters on the eighth floor of the NASCAR Plaza, “and I can pull up stuff on this phone that would make you cringe about the sport that drivers talk about.

“There’s 39 of these guys that 99 out of 100 times won’t say a thing about it to you guys or to NASCAR or anybody else. I’m the one guy that most of the time will go, ‘Man this is a bad thing to talk about, I shouldn’t talk about it,’ but I’ll get pissed off enough about it to talk about it because I believe it’s worth talking about.

“When you’re not getting (NASCAR’s) attention … you’re like ‘OK, now I’ve got to go a different way to get their attention to do something about it and that’s when I normally get slapped on the hand with a fine or this or that.

“That’s part of the reason I’m retiring because I’m tired of being responsible for it. It’s somebody else’s responsibility now. I’ve had my fill of it. I’ve had my fill of fighting the fight. At some point, you say, ‘Why do I keep fighting this fight when I’m not getting anywhere?’ ’’

Read the rest of this story here ===> http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/09...sibility-of-being-voice-of-sprint-cup-garage/
Good stuff.

Funniest Nascar moment Sonoma 2011. Stewart put there by Vickers. I'm still smle when I see it,
tony-stewart-sonoma vickers.jpg

He sounds like he is a member of this forum with his complaints. The article wasn't a typical Tony rant, he pointed out that he understands some of NASCAR's decisions even though he might not agree with them all the time. But the bottom line is "I still get to drive a pretty cool race car each week in a pretty cool series. I’m going to enjoy these last eight weeks".

I could not agree more with these statements. Technology has taken over and driver input can't change what Nascar is demanding. There's less and less room for improving what you've got.

“We’re in an era now in the sport where technology has taken over so much,’’ Stewart said
When we come off the truck, we fight the same thing for three days. There’s nothing I can do to fix it. That’s what is so frustrating for me as a driver.

So, be good off of the truck. :idunno:

I'm concerned for what will happen to NASCAR without Tony's voice. The only ones I see who might say what needs to be said are Harvick and Keselowski, but Harvick can't have too many years left. I don't know where the leadership to check France's idiocy will come from with Tony gone, something I may miss even more than watching him on the track.

Reactions: Pat
Jr got a 10k fine for saying shiit in victory lane. The only driver with balls was Sr, he had no problem airing his grievances to Bill. I was extremely disappointed that rusty or dj didn't step up after his death. Gordon too.
Drivers can't say shiit even if they have a mouthful now...

It's not just Tony's voice . There was a time when Bill France , Mike Helton and others walked through the garage area and looked for ideas about what needed to change . At the same time , they hired ex crew members to join their team . That all stopped and NASCAR started hiring suits that knew nothing about racing . Things changed right then.

Jr got a 10k fine for saying shiit in victory lane. The only driver with balls was Sr, he had no problem airing his grievances to Bill. I was extremely disappointed that rusty or dj didn't step up after his death. Gordon too.
Jeff Burton did a lot of heavy lifting after Dale died, but mostly quietly in the background.

Tony's statements just show how much an alpha male is missed in the garage. The drivers have changed and the management
of NASCAR has changed. I doubt any driver goes fishing with Brian France, like they did with Big Bill and Bill,Jr.
I just don't see the "togetherness" I saw years ago.
I don't know what hobbies BZF has or if they overlap with how the drivers and owners relax.

Personally, I suspect his fishing skills are limited to catching tin ones on the deck with a magnetic lure.

rr724

What has Tony really done that has influenced Nascar's decision making regarding changes going forward? I don't really see a comparison between him being a voice for the drivers in comparison to Sr, who absolutely had the ears of both the drivers and Nascar's hierarchy.

I'm not trying to bash Tony, simply because we will never see someone with Dale Sr. influence again. I'm just not aware of any influence that Tony has had regarding how Nascar is being run.

What has Tony really done that has influenced Nascar's decision making regarding changes going forward? I don't really see a comparison between him being a voice for the drivers in comparison to Sr, who absolutely had the ears of both the drivers and Nascar's hierarchy.

I'm not trying to bash Tony, simply because we will never see someone with Dale Sr. influence again. I'm just not aware of any influence that Tony has had regarding how Nascar is being run.

We'll never know. Perhaps we'd already have caution clocks and a championship decided by a fan vote if not for Tony. With BF in charge, I wouldn't doubt it.

Or maybe BF is taking the fall for the real guys running the sport and killing it, Sprint, the RTA or ISC? Nah just kidding it's him.

Tony will be a voice of a team owner - he'll keep bending NASCAR's ear. I wonder which veteran driver will earn the voice of the drivers? Or which ones would want that chore?

Who would want the job? Not when you get fined $25,000 or $35,000 for expressing a valid opinion.

Tony thinks he has this huge influence, that he just doesn't have. He's a big mouth. Not an agent of change in any way.

I think he's had his hand of plenty of projects.

Look at the success of Eldora and now it's a staple of the schedule of the truck series that needed a shot in the arm. Tony loves the sport and wants to help it, he's not just a big mouth.

He's the last of a dying breed, we need him as a spokesperson. You may not like Stewart the driver, but he's seems like a very genuine person. He loves NASCAR and he want to help, to be honest he's just telling it like it is.

Tony's statements just show how much an alpha male is missed in the garage. The drivers have changed and the management
of NASCAR has changed. I doubt any driver goes fishing with Brian France, like they did with Big Bill and Bill,Jr.

Tony spoke out about BS debris cautions in the mid 2000s on his satellite radio show.... After a private visit at Brian France HQ he promptly changed his tune and fell in line. Nobody, not even Dale Jr have been willing to risk the lavish lifestyle to speak their minds and that won't change. It's way too late.

Like Stewart, many of the fans are tired of it and have also chosen to leave.

People like to complain about the complainers but the real problem is the roaring silence of those that don't give a ratsass any longer.

Diving a car is a job to be sure and with increased sponsors and increased obligations plus running 36 points paying races per year it doesn't leave much time for anything.

I don't know what hobbies BZF has or if they overlap with how the drivers and owners relax.

Personally, I suspect his fishing skills are limited to catching tin ones on the deck with a magnetic lure.

rr724

ss-110525-pudding-pops-barrel-monkeys.ss_full.jpg
ss-110525-pudding-pops-barrel-monkeys.ss_full.jpg

I think that's what he should say. JMO but I'm glad to see him leave.

Really? You're looking forward to (insert bland vanilla driver here) replacing Tony? Is there no more room for guys we love to root against? Do we want 40 Kasey Kahnes out there?

Reactions: Pat
I don't see him lasting too long as a figurehead car owner. Once Haas pulls the money he's going to go quietly...
Figurehead car owner? Do you think Tony is lying when he says he is 50% owner of Stewart-Haas Racing, as he said just yesterday? Why would he tell that lie if he was within a few weeks of going away quietly?

Really? You're looking forward to (insert bland vanilla driver here) replacing Tony? Is there no more room for guys we love to root against? Do we want 40 Kasey Kahnes out there?
After 53 years on this earth, I still detest hypocrites and bullies. Weird huh?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm eager to hear Tony spill the beans on a lot of things after Homestead.

Figurehead car owner? Do you think Tony is lying when he says he is 50% owner of Stewart-Haas Racing, as he said just yesterday? Why would he tell that lie if he was within a few weeks of going away quietly?

I'm not sure how that came together . Maybe Haas put up cash and Tony some other equity . Doesn't matter now . What matters is , if they each have to kick in another ten million next week , does Tony have cash or not ? Kinda like a raise in poker .

Dale didn't say to much to reporters, he didn't embarrass Mr. France. He did all his talking behind closed doors and most of those talks were suggestions not demands or insults.
That is why he was so effective.

Back
Top Bottom