Tony Stewart - Speaking out

I think if BF was to make himself seen each week in the Garage area with the drivers, talking, BS'ing, listening and just at least act interested in the sport, it would help.
The guy runs an entertainment business, and not a very diverse one at that. He needs to be at Cup races biweekly, and at least one Truck or X race monthly.

Commissioners of other sports leagues and sanctioning bodies have to avoid the appearance of favoritism. They can't show up at the same venue too often or fans may suspect they're supporting one team over others. But other sports have team owners that show up regularly, not just to keep an eye on their investments but because they genuinely enjoy their sports.

France doesn't have that potential favoritism problem. Every competitor is at the same facility every week; most team owners are there most of the time too. When France doesn't come to the track on Sunday, he sends the message that he doesn't find it entertaining, that he has other things he places ahead of his business on its most important days, that he cares less about the sport he is responsible for than its fans do. It's like a Hollywood studio boss who doesn't go to movies, or a record company mogul who doesn't listen to music: WTF?

He comes across as a middle of the road fan of football, perhaps basketball. He thought NASCAR was positioned to be the second most popular American sport behind the NFL, and believed the way to accomplish that was to try to hack racing to literally be more like the NFL. So a decade and change later, we're left with this freakish FrankenNASCAR that has little in common with the long tradition of motorsports.

Unlike his father and grandfather, he didn't have to build anything. He probably was handed most of what he wanted in life. So he saw the family business as his "sandbox" (his words) that he could play in and morph to his liking. He thought there was a big mainstream audience out there that shared his taste. He was handed a hugely valuable business on the rise and has greatly diminished its value and popularity with his ignorance. If NASCAR were run like a big corporation or entertainment business and not a family empire, he would have been fired for gross incompetence long ago. I'm not one to say this lightly. He's a buffoon.

Well said and I like your term "FrankenNASCAR" as it is apt and I think the description of Brian France as a buffoon is apt as well. I remember France chortling about Nascar being only second to the NFL in popularity and now its demographic and national footprint is pathetic.

The guy runs an entertainment business, and not a very diverse one at that. He needs to be at Cup races biweekly, and at least one Truck or X race monthly.

Commissioners of other sports leagues and sanctioning bodies have to avoid the appearance of favoritism. They can't show up at the same venue too often or fans may suspect they're supporting one team over others. But other sports have team owners that show up regularly, not just to keep an eye on their investments but because they genuinely enjoy their sports.

France doesn't have that potential favoritism problem. Every competitor is at the same facility every week; most team owners are there most of the time too. When France doesn't come to the track on Sunday, he sends the message that he doesn't find it entertaining, that he has other things he places ahead of his business on its most important days, that he cares less about the sport he is responsible for than its fans do. It's like a Hollywood studio boss who doesn't go to movies, or a record company mogul who doesn't listen to music: WTF?

IDK how many races France attends or how interested he is in watching cars going anticlockwise but the perception is that he is an idiot in his position only due to his last name. Brian is fiddling while Nascar burns and while I think Nascar will always be around in some form the lights are getting dimmer and the fat lady is on deck warming up.

Brian France wants to be more than his father and grandfather. He will be known as the prodigal son who destroyed his inheritance. His sister and uncle are just as near sighted.
Never liked Tony much but what he says is true. France is wishy- washy and doesn't have the capacity to think things through enough to stop making blunders.

I got a different read on Tony's comments in that he complains publicly because that is the only way it seems he can bring attention to an issue. But when he sits down and is made aware of all aspects of any given problem, he also realizes there are other determining factors that enter into the overall scheme of things. Tony has his head on straight and while he made plenty of blunders, he did make NASCAR sit up and take notice. No matter what he does I wish him the best of luck. He's truly a good person who cares or he never would have stuck his head on the chopping block as often as he did to make his position clear and NASCAR better for others.

Screenshot_2017-01-14-22-56-25-1.png

Tony tells it like it is....

note: Greg nor does his sponsors 'CooterJohnsonsJuniorsIII & Dingleberry endorse hawt scantily clad wimmins etc, what not, and why not.
Only posted becuase Tony said this hence it a true, genuine, credible racing story. I felt obligated as a good Stuart to post this important findings. My conscious demanded the report.

Back
Top Bottom