Tony Stewart - Speaking out

Really? You're looking forward to (insert bland vanilla driver here) replacing Tony? Is there no more room for guys we love to root against? Do we want 40 Kasey Kahnes out there?
That's the first time I've heard Clint Bowyer described as 'bland vanilla'. Those definitely aren't the words I would have chosen.

Is he planning on selling his share at SHR? If not, this is foolish behavior.

NASCAR can still make your existence a living hell, Tony. Wakey wakey.

Is he planning on selling his share at SHR? If not, this is foolish behavior.

NASCAR can still make your existence a living hell, Tony. Wakey wakey.
Tony has a habit of sticking his foot in his mouth. Then, when he finally pulls it out, he does it again. Heck, he just got it pulled out after his call to police the lug nuts.

Tony seems to be the self proclaimed mouthpiece of the NASCAR drivers contingent. I like Tony as much as the next fan but I really don't see him being a level headed voice of reason for the sport.

It will be interesting to see who becomes the voice once Tony is gone. Tony has been out a lot in the past few seasons so I don't think he has as strong a voice as he thinks he does. I think the issue becomes that there are too many "nice guys" out there on the track with no one to lead the field like Dale Sr. used to. Every sport needs a villian and NASCAR is kind of short on those types right now. Harvick and Kyle Busch come close but they really aren't the villian types. NASCAR needs some character drama and fast!

I think once Tony is gone Austin Dillon might step up as the next leader in the sport.
upload_2016-9-30_18-57-58.jpeg

If I still had my boat I'd take him fishing, sharks like blubbery, oily bait...

I would be willing to set up a gofundme account, for this most worthwhile mission.

I agree with most of what Tony is saying but there is one major piece of bullsheet being floated. And it is not Nascar's BS that is making Tony retire.
Nascar does have it's share and I like it when Tony speaks out.

But, simply stated May 20, 1971 (age 45) along with two serious injuries has alot more to do with Tonys decline and his upcoming retirement. IMO that has been a greater factor than the technology.
And there is no good excuse for a SHR car to be consistently slow on Fridays. Harvick was fast out of the box when he joined the team and started using the same hardware. A commom fixture up front.

Tony just aint what he used to be, there is no shame in that reality. None of us are immortal, and the associated denial or refusal to admit it, is a common thing for many.

But a plain spoken man like Tony that hates the BS, should be able to see his own BS

After 53 years on this earth, I still detest hypocrites and bullies. Weird huh?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You only know Tony Stewart because he's open and honest, whether you like it or not. The rest of this sport could be replaced with a new face tomorrow and you'd hardly know the difference. That's the point.
That's the first time I've heard Clint Bowyer described as 'bland vanilla'. Those definitely aren't the words I would have chosen.

You're right, that WWE style Jeff Gordon incident was pretty funny. That being said, I was referring to the new generation, or the "young guns" movement that was shoved down our throats.

I don't really see a guy coming up that can take the Stewart mantle. And if there is, the NASCAR fan mob will tar and feather him until he becomes a robot like the other drivers

I think once Tony is gone Austin Dillon might step up as the next leader in the sport.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that has to be one of the funniest posts I have read in a long time...... first..... he's got to get rid of the ''Cowboy hat... No cattle''...... thing....... then..... he's gonna' have to distance himself from the fact that if his Gramps wasn't Richard Childress, he'd be working the parts counter at the local Advance auto parts store..... third.... he ain't never gonna' be a spokesman for anything ........ unless it's for a website named ''Dork.com''..................

This. Love him or hate him, but Tony is responsible for SHR's place among elite teams. He brought people over

Who? Elite teams? He has 1 car running great out of 4 and it isn't the one he drives.
Even Kurt should be running better.

You're right, that WWE style Jeff Gordon incident was pretty funny. That being said, I was referring to the new generation, or the "young guns" movement that was shoved down our throats.
I don't see Elliott, Jones, Suarez or Bubba as 'vanilla', or the Penske teammates. The Dillon boys may be questionable racers but they're closer to Rocky Road or Moose Tracks than vanilla.

Just this idjit's opinion.

Sure and any team can have a car in the chase as long as they win a race and can stay in the top 30 in points. Being in the chase means nothing as to the quality of the team. Tony and Buescher prove that.
Put the top 12 teams in the chase after 26 races and drop the lowest team after each 2 races.
When they are knocked out of the chase they go back to season points for final position.
being guaranteed top 16 money is BS.

Oh, look ... another Chase format revision.

Will we complain if they were foolish enough to change to this one?

Not elite? Haas has all three racing teams in the elimination thing.

At least until close of business Sunday.
Ignoring the obvious slight. :D

Haas has 3 cars in the playoff - not elite.

HMS has 2 - elite.

Ignoring the obvious slight. :D

Haas has 3 cars in the playoff - not elite.

HMS has 2 - elite.
It is odd that SHR using HMS equipment is supposed to be making them "elite". SHR seems more then happy to be rid of them .

It is odd that SHR using HMS equipment is supposed to be making them "elite". SHR seems more then happy to be rid of them .
I rather doubt they're happy about it. Lost revenue stream.

This is auto racing. You're as good as you were last week.

Don't think nascar has a whole lot left after Gordon, Jr and Stewart all leave after this year it's probable that at least half the fans in the stands (if not more) could leave with them. The next in line is Matt Kenseth and I don't think he's much of a pot stirrer

The tone of a company comes from the top. You have Nascar run by a moron and a bunch of ass kissing corporate toadies. They have encouraged bland, corporate-type drivers who spout the company lingo. Individual personality is discouraged. Free speech is punished.It has come as far from Nascar roots as is possible. And the shift to appealing to a perceived middle-class type audience has failed, hence the empty seats and falling viewership.

I have no idea who has the leadership ability to fill the role , but it can easily be a quiet driver not known for speaking out. The problem that Nascar has with drivers and crew mouthing off to the press is just that they are mouthing off to the press and not to Nascar. If you work for a company and they tell you to bring your gripes to your manager, you don't mouth off to customers and media first. It's just embarrassing your employer and pisses them off.

... The problem that Nascar has with drivers and crew mouthing off to the press is just that they are mouthing off to the press and not to Nascar. If you work for a company and they tell you to bring your gripes to your manager, you don't mouth off to customers and media first. It's just embarrassing your employer and pisses them off.

This is why most of the interviews with drivers are worthless. They might as well ask them primary school questions "well Tony, what is your favorite color?"
And it has produced a standard that requires Nascar drivers to publicly kiss Brian's ass. And is not a subtle thing either, they have been turned into puff pieces, and a well trained house driver knows his place.

It is a paradox that puts a hot mic in a drivers face immediately after an intense moment. With the expectation that he plays their game. It is Nascars house, their rules, and it ultimately a right I suppose.

But it is shortsighted. Drivers are suppose to be badassess in an arena that demands the ultimate confidence, and a very strong ego, 180 degrees apart from subservient mouthpieces. They are the ultimate survivalist in a very dangerous world,and do the things that fans only dream about.
The shut up fines and shunning that Nascar utilizes violates the expectations of many fans. And the disingenuous idea that drivers are telling us what they really think, leaves a bad taste.

It is an insane world were Nascar would have us believing that the Micheal Waltrips types are the most interesting characters. Lots of mouth that almost never says anything with substance.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

pretty much says it all . . .

Most folks didn't know
Earnhardt Sr was tight enough with management to lobby for working conditions , etc.. He did his griping in the trailor or on hunting trips to Maine. Mark Martin was the same .So was Jeff Burton . No need to cry on tv .

Most folks didn't know
Earnhardt Sr was tight enough with management to lobby for working conditions , etc.. He did his griping in the trailer or on hunting trips to Maine. Mark Martin was the same .So was Jeff Burton . No need to cry on tv .

A different group of guys from a different era of the sport.

Ok, then which driver or owner is tight with France Jr.?

Does anyone know who he knows on a friend level from all the drivers or owners? Who hangs out with him after the races.

From the interviews I've seen of the guy - the impression I get is that he is not one to hang out, or socialize with, the "employees/help".

So if someone makes themselves unavailable in private - or has shown that anything you say to them in private goes in one ear and out the other; what is a driver supposed to do then?

A different group of guys from a different era of the sport.

Ok, then which driver or owner is tight with France Jr.?

Does anyone know who he knows on a friend level from all the drivers or owners? Who hangs out with him after the races.

From the interviews I've seen of the guy - the impression I get is that he is not one to hang out, or socialize with, the "employees/help".

So if someone makes themselves unavailable in private - or has shown that anything you say to them in private goes in one ear and out the other; what is a driver supposed to do then?
We tend to lay everything at the feet of Brian France , and for sure , he is the head guy . Kinda like the owner of the NFL . But you wouldn't go to Brian for anything as mundane as day to day racing . If he were to find a title sponsor , that would be big. . For racing issues , the big names are Mile Helton , David Hoots and several others . I have no doubt , if any of the drivers wanted to voice a concern , they just have to walk into the Nascar hauler and voice it. The down to earth , serious guys would be taken very seriously .

The down to earth , serious guys would be taken very seriously .
I take it you've never worked for a ****** company? It seems like that ship has sailed with Nascar. I don't remember the quotes from last year and this year but the impression I got was that the drivers had tried the approach you're talking about and were finally tired of the lack of results.
Not everybody is best buddies with management and gets special treatment as is being implied Earnhardt did.

There is a difference between listening and hearing. Drivers can privately or public voice their concerns and NASCAR undoubtedly hears those concerns, but I feel it is very rare for the corporate suits to listen to those concerns.

I've worked for awful companies and I've worked for great companies. The great companies are those who listen to employee & customer concerns and guess what? They were also much more successful than the companies who only heard the concerns. I'm also a business owner and my past experiences with the aforementioned companies (in addition to seeing how other companies are run) have taught me that listening to concerns is the ultimate key to success. No matter how angry an employee or customer is, or no matter how idiotic their suggestions or frustrations sound, it is vital to utilize critical thinking and to closely analyze everything that is said. The worst thing that happens is a discussion is created where opinions from both sides are listened to, but the best thing that happens is positive changes are made as a result of listening to what an employee or customer said.

Take note, NASCAR. This isn't rocket science. Ryan Newman could tell you that too.

I think if BF was to make himself seen each week in the Garage area with the drivers, talking, BS'ing, listening and just at least act interested in the sport, it would help.
I'm sure it would help..... but..... I just don't see Brian ever having the impact or charisma that his Dad or Grandpa had..... they were movers and shakers...... people persons..... folks that could motivate...... Brian has none of those qualities..... he's just out in left field hoping if he throws enough darts that one will stick. He doesn't have the France genes...... in fact I question if he is really a legitimate child....... he doesn't resemble them..... doesn't act as if he has any of their traits...... but..... maybe that comes from being raised with a silver spoon and no responsibility whatsoever......

I'm sure it would help..... but..... I just don't see Brian ever having the impact or charisma that his Dad or Grandpa had..... they were movers and shakers...... people persons..... folks that could motivate...... Brian has none of those qualities..... he's just out in left field hoping if he throws enough darts that one will stick. He doesn't have the France genes...... in fact I question if he is really a legitimate child....... he doesn't resemble them..... doesn't act as if he has any of their traits...... but..... maybe that comes from being raised with a silver spoon and no responsibility whatsoever......

I agree as I don't think Brian France could be one of the guys although both he and most drivers are multi-millionaires so you think they would have something in common. I can't say whether Brian likes racing or not but he comes off more like a fan of Polo.

I can't say whether Brian likes racing or not but he comes off more like a fan of Polo.

He comes across as a middle of the road fan of football, perhaps basketball. He thought NASCAR was positioned to be the second most popular American sport behind the NFL, and believed the way to accomplish that was to try to hack racing to literally be more like the NFL. So a decade and change later, we're left with this freakish FrankenNASCAR that has little in common with the long tradition of motorsports.

Unlike his father and grandfather, he didn't have to build anything. He probably was handed most of what he wanted in life. So he saw the family business as his "sandbox" (his words) that he could play in and morph to his liking. He thought there was a big mainstream audience out there that shared his taste. He was handed a hugely valuable business on the rise and has greatly diminished its value and popularity with his ignorance. If NASCAR were run like a big corporation or entertainment business and not a family empire, he would have been fired for gross incompetence long ago. I'm not one to say this lightly. He's a buffoon.

Back
Top Bottom