Two Manufacturers Now Looking At NASCAR

And toyoder doesnt have twice the commercials as anybody else? Especially on NBC ( nothing but camries)You couldn't give me a toyoder, well I take that back, you could but I'd put diesel fuel and fertilizer in it and set it ablaze

Say it ain't so!

I think the whole thing is like, their putting out a rumor, that they would take more cars for inspection last week. I don't trust them on this. I think they want possible sponsors of the series, to think there could be added value, in the future. I can't see any mfgs, old, or new, coming anytime soon.

Nascar needs as much good news as it can get so I am sure most of the talk about new manufacturers joining the series is wishful thinking at best and complete fabrication at worst. You have a title sponsor that may be leaving after this year or next, top teams unable to obtain sponsorship for the money they need, big stars retiring, poor attendance, lower viewership, a bad demographic, replacing a doofus like Helton with an idiot like Dewar, lower car counts, charters that are essentially worthless, established drivers kicked to the curb and much more. Nascar needs all the good news it can get.

LOL

As of the 2017 year to date stats, Chevy has sold over 308k new Silverados nationwide. Second only to Ford with their F-Series truck at just under 500k units sold.

But "nobody wants to buy a Chevy".
Ford has bragged for years about how they are the #1 selling truck, but I worked for G.M. in Oshawa at the truck plant from the late 70s until I retired several years ago, and both the Chevy and GMC are basically the same truck, going down the same assembly line. If you add the sales from both of them, we outsold Ford in many of the years Ford claims to be the top seller.

Leaked photo of new NASCAR manufacturer entry!!!

car.jpg

Ford has bragged for years about how they are the #1 selling truck, but I worked for G.M. in Oshawa at the truck plant from the late 70s until I retired several years ago, and both the Chevy and GMC are basically the same truck, going down the same assembly line. If you add the sales from both of them, we outsold Ford in many of the years Ford claims to be the top seller.
So, you made ugly trucks? :D(I am making a joke)

And toyoder doesnt have twice the commercials as anybody else? Especially on NBC ( nothing but camries)You couldn't give me a toyoder, well I take that back, you could but I'd put diesel fuel and fertilizer in it and set it ablaze

Shame, its the most American car around.

I used to travel the 401 regularly from TO to the Brighton-Campbellford exit at highway 30 and used to always remember passing the Bicks Pickle factory (I used to pick cukes for them as a wee lad) and the GM plant. Lots of memories as the 401 took me to Mosport, Shannonville for motorcycle racing and the Brighton Speedway for some great Saturday short track racing on dirt.

I don't care what type of vehicle a person drives as it is their hard earned bucks that either paid or are paying for it. Some people have really good success with one manufacturer over another so I can understand why they are sold on them. I am not saying that Toyota or Nissan are superior to any other manufacturer but they both have been very good to me as has Mazda. When I am spending thousands and thousands of dollars for a vehicle my primary concern is how it will perform for me and the cost of ownership as opposed to where the shareholders have their annual meeting.

I don't expect any new manufacturers to jump in before the Gen 7 specs are ready, so 2020 at the earliest. It will be really crucial as to what those cars end up being like so I hope to god Brian is including Dodge and whoever else in those discussions.

Chevy outsells their GMC lookalikes by a country mile. While Chevy Silverado & GMC Sierra are virtually the same truck, they are a seperate brand under the OEM.

You can do Ford vs Chevy vs GMC all day & Ford is #1.

I'm sure a Toyota employee would say that. These are the most American cars: http://kogodbusiness.com/reports/auto-index/

There are so many claims and counter claims as to who has the most domestic content and of course who assemble vehicles in Mexico and make engines in Brazil and of course the domestic manufacturers stick a bow tie, blue oval or pentastar emblem on vehicles from overseas too. I stopped trying to figure it out a long time ago.

Chevy outsells their GMC lookalikes by a country mile. While Chevy & GMC are virtually the same truck, they are a seperate brand under the OEM.

It would be great to see which vehicles sell the most for retail transactions when all the police, fleet, rental company and municipal sales are subtracted.

There are so many claims and counter claims as to who has the most domestic content and of course who assemble vehicles in Mexico and make engines in Brazil and of course the domestic manufacturers stick a bow tie, blue oval or pentastar emblem on vehicles from overseas too. I stopped trying to figure it out a long time ago.

Right, and that's why I never believed the old cars.com lists. I was glad to find out I was right when they admitted their list was partially determined by how many units each model sold. I find the kogod index to be very accurate because they take into account that an engine built in the US is worth much more to the US economy than say an air intake that is made here.

Shame, its the most American car around.
..corolla is now "made/assembled/built in Mexico. yes a japenese car made in Mexico sold as being made in the America ( well mexico is central america so they arent lying but its a play on words). toyoders are assembled is Kentucky and Texas. Back when the tsunami hit japan, it was hard to get a toyoder even in the US, hmmm how can that be if they are "built" here? I like my dollars circulating in the USA. Buying a corolla isnt helping the US economy what so ever . But, it does come with a loaf of bread and a small jar of peanut butter, so you'll have something to eat while your unemployed. When givin a choice, I pull for the home team. When I met my wife, she drove a toyoder, it was a money pit. It was her last foreign car, but we got decent money for it because everyone was thinking how well they were made----ahhhh not this one---

Chevy outsells their GMC lookalikes by a country mile. While Chevy Silverado & GMC Sierra are virtually the same truck, they are a seperate brand under the OEM.

I've never understood the reasons for GMC's existence. Most of them are literally just a Chevrolet with a different grille. When GM was killing off brands during their bankruptcy, I'm not sure why they decided to let GMC hang around vs. some of the brands they got rid of.

Just got rid of my 2008 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax the other day. Awesome freakin truck. Did everything I asked it to do. Pennsylvania's salt laden roads simply weren't kind to it.

..corolla is now "made/assembled/built in Mexico. yes a japenese car made in Mexico sold as being made in the America ( well mexico is central america so they arent lying but its a play on words). toyoders are assembled is Kentucky and Texas. Back when the tsunami hit japan, it was hard to get a toyoder even in the US, hmmm how can that be if they are "built" here? I like my dollars circulating in the USA. Buying a corolla isnt helping the US economy what so ever . But, it does come with a loaf of bread and a small jar of peanut butter, so you'll have something to eat while your unemployed. When givin a choice, I pull for the home team. When I met my wife, she drove a toyoder, it was a money pit. It was her last foreign car, but we got decent money for it because everyone was thinking how well they were made----ahhhh not this one---

Should have got a Camry.

Just got rid of my 2008 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax the other day. Awesome freakin truck. Did everything I asked it to do. Pennsylvania's salt laden roads simply weren't kind to it.
How many times did people say to you "Hey man, nice Chevy!" ;)

The Tacoma is built in Mexico at Mexico's only plant

The Corolla, Camry, Avalon, Tundra, Tacoma, Sequoia, Sienna, & Highlander all have plants in the US at 6 seperate locations.

Infact, there are more locations in the US than any other country.

I've never understood the reasons for GMC's existence. Most of them are literally just a Chevrolet with a different grille. When GM was killing off brands during their bankruptcy, I'm not sure why they decided to let GMC hang around vs. some of the brands they got rid of.
They are very profitable.

Marketing.

Chevy is private whereas GMC is commercial.

There were different until they started using the same parts bin to save money. Pontiac, Olds, Plymouth, and Mercury were casualties of that trend.

They used to offer a selection of options - any combination. Now they offer a couple option packages so if you just want the $100 Homelink option to open your garage door you have to buy the sunroof package for $$$$.

There were different until they started using the same parts bin to save money. Pontiac, Olds, Plymouth, and Mercury were casualties of that trend.

They used to offer a selection of options - any combination. Now they offer a couple option packages so if you just want the $100 Homelink option to open your garage door you have to buy the sunroof package for $$$$.
The only GMC I can think of that has its own unique styling is the Terrain. Other than that, Sierra = Silverado, Canyon = Colorado, Yukon = Tahoe, and Yukon XL = Suburban.

The only GMC I can think of that has its own unique styling is the Terrain. Other than that, Sierra = Silverado, Canyon = Colorado, Yukon = Tahoe, and Yukon XL = Suburban.
And if you want to go back further Jimmy=Blazer=Bravada

One of the big reasons why GMC survived was so GM dealers that were NOT Chevy dealers would have a truck to sell. It's all changed somewhat now with the dropping of brands, but traditionally GMC was paired up with Buick or Pontiac or Oldsmobile dealers, while Chevy and Cadillac dealers were usually stand alones. GMC might market themselves as 'Professional grade", but since the introduction of the Denali package, I find that most GMC's are purchased by people that want a classier truck or just don't want to own a Chevy. My guess is the profit margin on GMC trucks is higher than on Chevy trucks, and likely another reason they are still around.

Yes but why did GM go bankrupt? There in trouble again, I guess they gotta give those trucks away cause they can't seem to make a profit

GM's problems were always more on the cost side than the revenue side anyway. With the contracts they had in place, and the way they did business, it was just costing them too much to make the cars. Also remember GM was built to supply half of all of the cars sold in the US and a bunch more overseas, something that was no longer going to happen even if GM didn't shoot themselves in the foot. With all of the competitors than sprang up from say 1970 on, GM was never going to have that big of market share again even if they built spectacular products (which they often didn't). It took far too long to and a bankruptcy to finally get the corporation down to the size of the market.

GM's problems were always more on the cost side than the revenue side anyway. With the contracts they had in place, and the way they did business, it was just costing them too much to make the cars. Also remember GM was built to supply half of all of the cars sold in the US and a bunch more overseas, something that was no longer going to happen even if GM didn't shoot themselves in the foot. With all of the competitors than sprang up from say 1970 on, GM was never going to have that big of market share again even if they built spectacular products (which they often didn't). It took far too long to and a bankruptcy to finally get the corporation down to the size of the market.
OK thanks that's good info!

Say it ain't so!

Nascar needs as much good news as it can get so I am sure most of the talk about new manufacturers joining the series is wishful thinking at best and complete fabrication at worst. You have a title sponsor that may be leaving after this year or next, top teams unable to obtain sponsorship for the money they need, big stars retiring, poor attendance, lower viewership, a bad demographic, replacing a doofus like Helton with an idiot like Dewar, lower car counts, charters that are essentially worthless, established drivers kicked to the curb and much more. Nascar needs all the good news it can get.
Nascar needs new management and NOT just a new yes man to take the heat. NO short term
suggestions to be floated around. They need a firm plan in place and work the plan. This means no catering to any individuals or companies. Being wishy washy is how they got here.

Incredible news. When was the last time five OEMs (not five brands from four companies) were involved in NASCAR...this sport is as healthy as ever.

Incredible news. When was the last time five OEMs (not five brands from four companies) were involved in NASCAR...this sport is as healthy as ever.

I was all ready to answer this question, and then realized I was wrong. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't come up with more than four manufacturers full time in NASCAR at any one time if you don't count divisions as separate entities, and discount oddities like the one road course win by a Jaguar in the 60's. . For most of the life of NASCAR, there have only been four main American manufacturers at any one time, and then only three.

Back
Top Bottom