Ty Dillon

Why does everyone plan elaborate baby announcements today like they are the British royal family? Not especially hating on Dillon here but one of the most irritating things about my sharing-obsessed generation.

The British Royal Family don't do elaborate announcements. They press secretary prepares a short and simple paragraph.

Anyway, I think these are fun. It's a major milestone and it makes sense people want to document it in a special way.

Yep. All these sheep see these "cute" ideas and copy one another. They take a pair of men's sandals, a pair of women's sandals, and a tiny pair of baby sized sandals. They take a picture of said sandals with some stupid caption like "We're expecting! Baby Smith coming Feb. 2018 #BabySmith2018". Or they will have a sign hanging from the family pet's neck with some vomit inducing message to announce their pregnancy. Then for the "gender reveal" party they cut a cake, and you learn the sex of the baby if it's blue/pink.

It makes me want to puke just thinking about it.

I got invited to some couples thing (can't remember what it was) that normally just women do and the hostess said it would be fun and there would be games etc. My glare must have got more pronounced as she went on because she said "you aren't coming are you?" I smiled and shook my head and walked away.

You left out the strip club.

As weird as it may seem the strip club just does nothing for me. I have been to several and
Yep. All these sheep see these "cute" ideas and copy one another. They take a pair of men's sandals, a pair of women's sandals, and a tiny pair of baby sized sandals. They take a picture of said sandals with some stupid caption like "We're expecting! Baby Smith coming Feb. 2018 #BabySmith2018". Or they will have a sign hanging from the family pet's neck with some vomit inducing message to announce their pregnancy. Then for the "gender reveal" party they cut a cake, and you learn the sex of the baby if it's blue/pink.

It makes me want to puke just thinking about it.

I love your utter disdain for this whole thing. One year, for Christmas, my wife and I had the idea to send out a newsletter because we became so annoyed with how people would do this and talk about all of the great things that happened in the year. We decided to get in on the party, but we decided to make ours honest and as real as it could be. We talked about all of the negative things that happened. I think I was let go from my job and my wife had to have a mole removed that was skin cancer and our dog had ridiculous vet bills etc. In the end it was about not being fake and establishing the fact that no matter what goes on, we still had us and that was ok. I have also sent out Christmas cards where I am naked with a gigantic red bow on the outside of "the package".

Right on. Couldn't have said it better. It'll be a cold day in hell when I find myself at a baby shower. I'll go drink beer and smoke cigars with the guys like I'm supposed to

We have definitely lost gender roles in the world. I am not a man who believes a woman's spot in the world is in the kitchen or anything, but I do believe that when the guys are in their element that a woman needs to not be present or that if they are that as men we need to respect them enough to not be one of the guys in that moment. The stuff that is said amongst men is outlandishly ridiculous and inappropriate. My wife is great at understanding that and she is one of the few women that co-exists better around men. Still, all of that being said, she is not that girl that has to be a part of the Fantasy Football draft party.

As weird as it may seem the strip club just does nothing for me. I have been to several and

I love your utter disdain for this whole thing. One year, for Christmas, my wife and I had the idea to send out a newsletter because we became so annoyed with how people would do this and talk about all of the great things that happened in the year. We decided to get in on the party, but we decided to make ours honest and as real as it could be. We talked about all of the negative things that happened. I think I was let go from my job and my wife had to have a mole removed that was skin cancer and our dog had ridiculous vet bills etc. In the end it was about not being fake and establishing the fact that no matter what goes on, we still had us and that was ok. I have also sent out Christmas cards where I am naked with a gigantic red bow on the outside of "the package".

Ohhh and my Dad died that year.....so there is that too. Lol

They're just old and cantankerous. Instead of trying to understand changes in culture they'd rather btch about it and wish for yester years.

I'm only 30. :D

I pick up the phone and talk to them. That's how I notify the folks close to me. I don't need some corny over the top social media post to communicate with my friends and family.

Look, I understand lots of people like this kind of stuff, and that's fine. Live and let live. It's just not my style at all, and I'm amused at all the folks who think they are being so original.

I pick up the phone and talk to them. That's how I notify the folks close to me. I don't need some corny over the top social media post to communicate with my friends and family.

Look, I understand lots of people like this kind of stuff, and that's fine. Live and let live. It's just not my style at all, and I'm amused at all the folks who think they are being so original.

No one said it's original or that they were trying to be (I've seen the one with a dog a million times). However, people like to "document their existence" (a term used my modern society class) more now than ever. There's nothing wrong with it.

Ain't costin' me anything. Ain't gotta look at it. Someone hadn't posted it here I wouldn't have.

Photographers need work. Pro level cameras are expensive. Shine on you crazy Dillons.

Last edited:
How else are people supposed to notify all their friends and family they are expecting a child?

oh and fans. in this case

The fan thing is whatever to me. As far as family and friends you send them an announcement. It can be the grandiose picture or whatever you like, but to let everyone know by sharing on your IG or snapping the sonogram is ridiculous. The sense of self importance that people feel they have is pretty out there. I am also 32 and not by any means old and cantankerous and at the end of the day couldn't care less what means people use to tell the world about their life. However, the idea that we need to document everything we do like a footprint on this earth is lost on me. Unless we do something worth remembering, we are just another blip on the radar of life. When they raise a child to be a functioning member of society then come see me. That's an accomplishment.

When they raise a child to be a functioning member of society then come see me. That's an accomplishment.
In the mean time... document how it was done. I see nothing wrong with it. The only way to stop it is to kill social media.

They're just old and cantankerous. Instead of trying to understand changes in culture they'd rather btch about it and wish for yester years.

I would think the idea was completely daft even if I wasn't old and cantankerous but fortunately my life doesn't have to intersect with the navel gazers in the real world at all and this would be the only place I would see the self absorption up close.

This stuff seems like self promotion masquerading as imparting information to me but if this sort of thing is important to people then have at it.....as long as I don't have to see it or participate in it......:D

2015-12-181-620x412.jpg

In the mean time... document how it was done. I see nothing wrong with it. The only way to stop it is to kill social media.

I don't see anything wrong with it except that I think it is dumb. However, when we are celebrating every little accomplishment in such a grandiose and social manner that it begins to leak into the mindset of the person. I think we can all agree that the work force is a different place these days. I work with several people who insist on being patted on the head for just doing their jobs. Not excelling, just accomplishing the basic functions and when you put any sort of pressure on them they fold like a wet piece of paper. In my opinion, this mentality comes from over celebrating simple things that everyone does. It's the whole if everyone is extraordinary, then nobody is extraordinary argument. We live in a world that is in constant search of gratification, which is nothing new, but we used to seek that from ourselves and now we need to get it from others so we use these types of things to fulfill that need. We are creatures of our habitat and if everything you have ever done is filled with streamers, poppers, thumbs ups and likes when you step into the real world and someone doesn't offer that up how is it going to be handled?

I don't see anything wrong with it except that I think it is dumb. However, when we are celebrating every little accomplishment in such a grandiose and social manner that it begins to leak into the mindset of the person. I think we can all agree that the work force is a different place these days. I work with several people who insist on being patted on the head for just doing their jobs. Not excelling, just accomplishing the basic functions and when you put any sort of pressure on them they fold like a wet piece of paper. In my opinion, this mentality comes from over celebrating simple things that everyone does. It's the whole if everyone is extraordinary, then nobody is extraordinary argument. We live in a world that is in constant search of gratification, which is nothing new, but we used to seek that from ourselves and now we need to get it from others so we use these types of things to fulfill that need. We are creatures of our habitat and if everything you have ever done is filled with streamers, poppers, thumbs ups and likes when you step into the real world and someone doesn't offer that up how is it going to be handled?

I have to disagree with the notion that bringing a child in the world is nothing note worthy.

When I was a youngster our sales meetings were often like the wild west and depending on how the manager was getting along with his girlfriend set the tone. It didn't matter how many sales a person made or how far ahead of goal we were this guy let us have it. We were all lazy, didn't follow up properly, didn't take things seriously etc, etc. Sometimes chairs were broken from being slammed on the floor and other times ashtrays were flying through the air like Frisbees. These things could go on for an hour or more in certain situations but they never bothered me. I used to impersonate the manager and try and get people to crack up during the meetings.

Fast forward to today and a buddy of mine who is a regional manager of a bank was telling me how important it is for the younger employees to receive recognition over nothing. They expect people to bring them ice cream or chocolate or get some sort of certificate for doing what they are supposed to do. Apparently you have to be very careful how you speak with them too as they are as tough and resilient as marshmallows.

I have to disagree with the notion that bringing a child in the world is nothing note worthy.

I didn't say noteworthy. In your own existence it is, but it is not an accomplishment. Almost anyone can bring a child into the world, but look around at the landscape and see how many are succeeding at raising well adjusted, contributing members of society. One thing I will say about parenting, it is the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but it is because I treat it like a job. I have one goal when my son is 18, that he is capable of leaving the nest and functioning at a high level in the world. There is an immense amount of coaching that goes into that because no matter how much you teach your kid and reiterate to them what is right and what is wrong they still come home with bad habits and you have to coach that out of them. That is exhausting. If you raise a kid in the world, in any era, and they turn out ok, that is an accomplishment.

When I was a youngster our sales meetings were often like the wild west and depending on how the manager was getting along with his girlfriend set the tone. It didn't matter how many sales a person made or how far ahead of goal we were this guy let us have it. We were all lazy, didn't follow up properly, didn't take things seriously etc, etc. Sometimes chairs were broken from being slammed on the floor and other times ashtrays were flying through the air like Frisbees. These things could go on for an hour or more in certain situations but they never bothered me. I used to impersonate the manager and try and get people to crack up during the meetings.

Fast forward to today and a buddy of mine who is a regional manager of a bank was telling me how important it is for the younger employees to receive recognition over nothing. They expect people to bring them ice cream or chocolate or get some sort of certificate for doing what they are supposed to do. Apparently you have to be very careful how you speak with them too as they are as tough and resilient as marshmallows.

As someone who works in the Banking industry the above is 100% correct. I come from a sports and sales background so I am all about the team. Sometimes it is extremely lonely when that is how you feel because out of the 7 employees only 3 have that attitude and you have to tip toe around. We literally have meetings to talk about the "good things" we accomplished. I have no problem highlighting the good, but when the good are the basic functions and the bare minimum you are expected to do, we do not need to be talking about them. When your "good things" turn into production then let's discuss them.

This whole thing comes full circle for me. We place a ridiculous level of worth and importance on so many unnecessary things that we are breeding a culture that requires us to celebrate every single victory they have in the most absurd fashion. All in an effort to impress your "followers", friends, family etc. Each celebration gets larger and larger and before you know it we are stuck dealing with people who have an inflated self worth when they truly may not have earned it. In the meantime, we all get to a point where we take an L in life and you have to bounce back. People do not know how to take L's anymore.

The kid's tied for wins with a lot of folks.

The fans of which would go into vapor lock if they were named.

Non-rich folks do it too. I can't tell you how many times I see the same lame style of announcements from people I know on facebook. And the "gender reveal" parties.....PUKE

The baby announcements and gender reveal parties are out of control. It's not just rich folks doing it; it's pretty much anybody that can be on social media, or have the equivalent in real-world friends/family to impress. It's like a race to outdo each other. One couple has a cake that is cut and the inside is pink or blue depending on the gender and they put out a picture of it. Next thing you know it's like some sort of find-a-clue puzzle where you have to be sherlock holmes to put together all the clues and reveal the mystery gender. There must be a huge growth in whatever industry is associated with blue and pink stuff.

Now get off my lawn.

Back
Top Bottom