Watkins Glen Pre-Race Thread

This sport has proven time and again....nobody is owed anything. Lots of chatter on NASCAR Radio this week ensuring a Chasey win. Don't buy it.
Me either. As good as he is there, he's lost quite a few of these things despite having the best car, and we see that more weeks than not at other style tracks as well. And there's no promise he'll even have that this weekend. Even tho their RC program has gotten better with the new car someone always seems to show up just a tad better. We'll see tho, he will absolutely contend, a win is far from a likely thing though.

This sport has proven time and again....nobody is owed anything. Lots of chatter on NASCAR Radio this week ensuring a Chasey win. Don't buy it.
That's the radio side, track side the gerbs will spend most of their time dramatically focusing on last place cut line nonsense instead of following what is going on in the race. Add in gerbil Jeff acting as driving coach, all around expert in everything Nascar, and cheap ass NBC we can't afford to have a different crew for the Xfinity races so we give you all gerbils all the time. Whoopie.

Me either. As good as he is there, he's lost quite a few of these things despite having the best car, and we see that more weeks than not at other style tracks as well. And there's no promise he'll even have that this weekend. Even tho their RC program has gotten better with the new car someone always seems to show up just a tad better. We'll see tho, he will absolutely contend, a win is far from a likely thing though.
He’s already lost it in qualifying. With no stage breaks they’re not recovering from staring effing 14th yet again. Chase blew it, plain and simple. This year is over.

He’s already lost it in qualifying. With no stage breaks they’re not recovering from staring effing 14th yet again. Chase blew it, plain and simple. This year is over.
Why in the world did they not run 2 laps the first time out??

9 radio: “F***! I f***ed up every f****ing thing you could f*** up on that f****ing lap.” 2023 in a nutshell

Sorry, no sympathy. I maintain a driver who missed a race due to a NASCAR-imposed suspension shouldn't be eligible for a waiver anyway. I don't usually by into accusations that NASCAR favors certain drivers but the authorities were going to be sure that if Chase didn't make the playoffs, it wasn't because they smacked his knuckles.

Sorry, no sympathy. I maintain a driver who missed a race due to a NASCAR-imposed suspension shouldn't be eligible for a waiver anyway. I don't usually by into accusations that NASCAR favors certain drivers but the authorities were going to be sure that if Chase didn't make the playoffs, it wasn't because they smacked his knuckles.
No argument here.

Hamlin and Byron on the front row.
1692469959432.png

As a Hendrick minus Byron fan I’m not optimistic. Bowman and Elliott really needed to qualify up front in case of an Indy-like race and I don’t see the speed in either one

What the what!?!?
<----this guy qualified P12 on a ROAD COURSE?
Guess pressure makes diamonds eh?

So is Dinger locked into driving tomorrow regardless of baby watch duty? Isn’t Mrs. Ding WAY overdue?

From what I hear tell it is already a done deal. The Felon has already sent the word out that Chase Elliott better get the Glen win if the people in the local area want to continue enjoying their electricity, and other essential services.

If Chase doesn't get the win Chadly will make sure the power grid goes down in the Watkins Glen area within an hour of the checkered flag. It will stay down indefinitely or at least until the problem is made right at the following race in Daytona.

If Chase ultimately fails to make the playoffs the Felon will step it up by having all five of the finger lakes drained, along with confiscating the areas entire supply of toilet paper.

#BetterLetChaseWinIfYouKnowWhatsGoodForYou.

From what I hear tell it is already a done deal. The Felon has already sent the word out that Chase Elliott better get the Glen win if the people in the local area want to continue enjoying their electricity, and other essential services.

If Chase doesn't get the win Chadly will make sure the power grid goes down in the Watkins Glen area within an hour of the checkered flag. It will stay down indefinitely or at least until the problem is made right at the following race in Daytona.

If Chase ultimately fails to make the playoffs the Felon will step it up by having all five of the finger lakes drained, along with confiscating the areas entire supply of toilet paper.

Maybe if they don't give Chase the special "plate" next week after he loses tomorrow, Rick can move to the Cars Tour to protest. 🤪 :rolleyes: :) :D ;);)

Tbh with AJ starting 6th at arguably his best track, and he usually is even better in the race at these places than qualifying, even if you aren't a fan it would really suck if he's actually in the running for the win tomorrow, in probably his last hope of making the playoffs, and he had to get out of the car.
I'm sure he probably would though, even if heartbroken having to do so, as they say some things are more important and it is an entirely justifiable reason.

Tbh with AJ starting 6th at arguably his best track, and he usually is even better in the race at these places than qualifying, even if you aren't a fan it would really suck if he's actually in the running for the win tomorrow, in probably his last hope of making the playoffs, and he had to get out of the car.
I'm sure he probably would though, even if heartbroken having to do so, as they say some things are more important and it is an entirely justifiable reason.
To add, that possibility is actually the sole reason I didn't use him in pick em this weekend as I had saved him.

To add, that possibility is actually the sole reason I didn't use him in pick em this weekend as I had saved him.
I was sure I would use him for this race and…YIKES…I already selected him earlier in the season.

At this point, I gotta think Mrs. Dinger tells the doc to red flag baby until after this race…

This really just goes to show how ****** hard it is to win in cup, and it's a testament to the drivers and teams who can generally close out races, at a high clip, when they dominate.

Truex, Kyle Busch, Stewart, Johnson, Gordon, Logano, Keselowski, imo, are the most reliable guys of the last 20 years who are able to put dominant cars in victory lane.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've never been a huge Sonoma fan either, even though some of my favorites have been pretty sporty there. It's not a terrible road course, but probably not in my top ten.

I will be worse if Ross wins.

Watkins Glen is cool because it’s fast and sweeping, and those corners are where ragged stock cars shine. Same thing with the Trucks when they used to run Mosport. Sonoma is technical and that’s a great drivers’ challenge, but generally it looks cooler seeing a car hustled around the Glen.

What don't you like about Sonoma? I'm genuinely curious

Only two passing zones (being generous) and it’s slow, boring, and not well suited for stock cars.

In the old car Chase could easily drive thru the field and win but it's just so hard to be that much faster than the guy in front of you with this new hunk of junk. They're all running such similar speeds at the front.

i dont think the cars are junk. they are just all the same ,which should be a good thing, but its not.

Should look a lot like last year with Elliott winning

Indy roval was probably the first road course race, outside of last year's Glen, where Elliott and Larson both had top 3 cars. With Bowman running solidly in the top 10, and with how fast Larson and Elliott have been, it seems like their road course program is back.

I'm predicting a pretty uneventful Elliott win, and hopefully a quiet error free race for the 5.

I love this track, always enjoyed how fast it feels for a road course.

You must be stopped!! 😂

Back
Top Bottom