Weather Check-In

Preliminary reports from the NWS is that the tornado in Granbury was and F4. The destruction is horrible, and Andy, since it wasn't a "major" city the national news wouldn't be covering it as it happened. If it had been Dallas or Fort Worth they might have. Although, there are some national media outlets in the area now.
Maj, don't you work in Cleburne?

I couldn't get a signal from johnson RACES. I'm a member of JARS and easily pick up Tarrant RACES, i know they just moved the burleson antenna but i couldn't get it. going to ask and make sure i have the right # in my radio.

Monday, we had the heat on. Today, the A/C. o_O
Here in Texas, in the Fall and Spring primarily(although it can happen any day of the year), I've used heat and AC two or three different times in a single day.
Our seasons run Almost Summer(Spring), Summer, A Little Less Summer(Fall), and Not Summer(Winter).

I know Tom Carrol.

And, TRL, you are so correct in describing our seasons here in Texas. :)

Agreed, very funny and accurate in seasons.

Tom is a hoot to be around. they call him "The Mayor of Crowley" at the track.

I remember so much living in northwest Oklahoma and dealing with tornadoes. Way back in the 50's, before technology got so big, we relied on people who watched the skies. When something looked bad, the sirens would sound and family's would run to the nearest storm celler. As a child, I remember many time running through the rain to a neighbors cellar and gathering with several familys. The adults would stand at the top of the stairs and watch the skies, something they wouldn't let us kids do. One year, probably about 1956, we ran to the nearest storm cellar probably at least ten times during the spring and summer. Fortunately, no tornado hit our town but did hit around us. Now living in NC, outside tornado alley, I've lived through two tornadoes that have gone right over my head while I was outside. I was lucky that both were F1 storms and weren't nearly as dangerous as what we saw yesterday. Still, I was sucking my shorts up and praying to God that I would do what he wanted me to do to be saved. I'm so glad that I no longer live in Northwestern Oklahoma.

I tracked the tornado outbreak all evening yesterday. I can't believe the Cleburne tornado hit that city. The tornado was southwest of Cleburne heading southeast away from the city, then it made a very sharp left turn and headed north directly into Cleburne.

The Granbury tornado was real bad. There were several homes that were wiped off their foundation with nothing remaining except the slab. :eek:

I tracked the tornado outbreak all evening yesterday. I can't believe the Cleburne tornado hit that city. The tornado was southwest of Cleburne heading southeast away from the city, then it made a very sharp left turn and headed north directly into Cleburne.

The Granbury tornado was real bad. There were several homes that were wiped off their foundation with nothing remaining except the slab. :eek:

I'm awaiting a RACES/Skywarn class I can actually attend so I can get credit as a certified storm spotter. I had my radio on, TV on NBC5, and laptop up with the spotter's grid. Reed Timmer started the night in Bowie and ended in Dallas. We had no less than 10 spotters on the Tarrant channel, I couldn't pick up the johnson channel but their EOC said they had 12-15 monitoring. Finfrock and his puppet were about 30 seconds behind the calls on the HAM radio, which isn't bad compared to last year, they were about 90 seconds behind.

Here is a screenshot of the Amarillo radar this morning (Just after midnight). Very odd (and unlucky for Amarillo). Of all places this random storm and tornado could go, it hits the largest population center in the area.

Amarillo radar.gif

The tornado is on the southern end where the small hook-like shape is.

My friend got ahold of her grandpa at 34th and western. reporting no tornado that he knows of, but lots of hail. NBC4 took shelter and broadcast from the bathrooms for a good 10-15 minutes, even got knocked off air for a bit (internet stream stayed up). Went from rain, to big hail, to silence, to little hail, to rain. They think a funnel passed overhead.

Back
Top Bottom