WEC 2024

I think it’s geoblocked for the qualifying and race broadcasts.

FP1/FP2 are live timing only, FP3 is streamed on YouTube, and qualifying/race are on B/R Sports on Max. Plus the usual first hour + last hour of the race on the Motor Trend tv channel.
Looks like you were right. Hopefully I can get the race.

Ferrari probably looked best across both sessions. Gonna be a big swing in conditions towards the end of the race on Sunday, could be a lot of shuffling in the running order.

The top five covered by not even a full tenth on a circuit this big is just wild. Hopefully an indication of a great qualifying and race.

IMG_2116.jpeg

Cadillac P3, I’ll take that any day. Also Alpine P4, and both BMWs made it to Hyperpole as well. Think the Ferraris are awfully tough but it looks like much of the grid is shaken up and could be pretty racey.

Looks like the ACO has nailed the BOP pretty well this time. I'm hoping for a Caddy win, but with a wet/dry race expected it's probably going to be Toyota that gets the strategy right, just like they did in Imola.

Looks like WEC TV is blacking out hours 2-5 in the US, but the first and last hours should be enough considering F1 and Indycar are both on today too.

Toyota’s race pace is still excellent. De Vries in the 7 chasing down the privateer Ferrari for the lead here.

Drive-through for the 7 for Kamui not respecting yellow flags, wow. The win could be on here for the privateer Ferrari. Shwartzman is gonna have to hold off a final charge from a pissed-off Kobayashi.

Kamui is charging, gaining somewhere around .5s/lap. Gonna be tough to hold him off, but hopefully Shwartzman can make it happen.

Someone please clarify if the #83 is a privateer or a third factory car. If it's a privateer, that's two wins for the little guys this year.

Outside of wanting Cadillac to win, I didn't care who did, but it was great to see those two make a race out of it. 3 seconds difference
after 6 hours is pretty remarkable.

Kamui ran way deep and then got loose on exit of turn 1 with two to go and that was that. Big win for the yellow #83 Ferrari, fantastic effort from Yifei, Kubica, and Shwartzman. They got a bit lucky with the #7’s penalty but that’s racing. Great pace all weekend and executed a better race than the factory Ferraris.

Some very good results for teams who needed them with the CGR Cadillac coming home P4 and Alpine getting double points in P5 and P9.

Not sure what the points look like but I’m sure they got shaken up, because the Porsches were really nowhere to be found all weekend.

Big win for the yellow #83 Ferrari, fantastic effort from Yifei, Kubica, and Shwartzman.
They led LeMans for a long time on merit too and have run well all year. Nice reward for Kubica.

Some very good results for teams who needed them with the CGR Cadillac coming home P4 and Alpine getting double points in P5 and P9.
Still disappointing because I really want to see them get a win. They got roughed up and dropped back bad on the first lap, so at least it was a good recovery. Hopefully they will be up front at Fuji.
Not sure what the points look like but I’m sure they got shaken up, because the Porsches were really nowhere to be found all weekend.
How did the #5 go from beating everyone down on Friday to being nowhere on race day?

Someone please clarify if the #83 is a privateer or a third factory car. If it's a privateer, that's two wins for the little guys this year.

Outside of wanting Cadillac to win, I didn't care who did, but it was great to see those two make a race out of it. 3 seconds difference
after 6 hours is pretty remarkable.
It’s very ambiguous, but by the regulations it’s technically a privateer entry.

They led LeMans for a long time on merit too and have run well all year. Nice reward for Kubica.
Six different winners in six races if you’re counting as well.
How did the #5 go from beating everyone down on Friday to being nowhere on race day?
Might just be that the car didn’t suit the track well. Estre said the car felt difficult to drive this weekend, just might be one of those outings. The track was repaved since they tested here earlier in the summer and track was evolving each session as well.

Six different winners in six races if you’re counting as well.
Remarkable. What a series!
Might just be that the car didn’t suit the track well.

Yeah, but the #5 cleared the field by over a second on Friday. I know it's just practice, but after that they fell off the cliff.

If you watch the slow motion replays of the cars hitting the curbs, the Ferrari just seems to pick up a wheel and it's no big deal The Porsche hits the curb and both inside wheels come off the ground. This was most notable at LeMans, and maybe that behavior was killing them here. Porsche, Ferrari and Toyota have all have at least one horrid weekend this year, so I guess it was just Porsche's turn in the barrel.

Yesterday was so crazy I did not get to see the last hour until late. If not for the penalty (which appeared to be harsh), Toyota would have run away with it again, but at least they put on a good show fighting back. BMW looked good early, so they are getting closer, and Alpi had their best finish ever. Pretty much everybody looked good and some only fell down on execution, so i don't think any of the cars necessarily need to get better, but some of the teams could certainly improve.

Hard to imagine Toyota aren't the favorites for Fuji. The just got their worst BOP since the opener and still had a great race, so if they don't get whacked again they should be up front.

I think the Caddy had it's race ruined when it got roughed up and lost positions early on. They really need to close it out with a win, but maybe next year JOTA can get better results.

I rarely watch nascar, but it was good too, and so was the Indycar race. F1 was another tire orgy, but at least Ferrari won at Monza which is always good for the sport. It was a pretty mega weekend.

I think the Caddy had its race ruined when it got roughed up and lost positions early on. They really need to close it out with a win, but maybe next year JOTA can get better results.
They confirmed they lost a left dive plane during that lap 1 scrap and their aero was effected a bit, but decided not to change the nose out since it would’ve taken additional time on a pit stop. All things considered, that’s a tremendous result for them then.

Ferrari yesterday were the first manufacturer to ever win an F1 Grand Prix and a world championship sports car race on the same day. That’s pretty incredible.

65k announced weekend attendance, way up from 22k in 2020 when it was a two-day race weekend in late February. Not quite at the level of Imola, Spa, or Interlagos but pretty dang respectable. They’ll take that for sure.

It usually takes me two or three days for me to see the whole WEC race. I watch the last hour late at night and usually pass out, they go back the next night and try to guess where to pick it back up!

Impressions range from unbelieve how crazy it was in the opening laps that they were banging all these $35 million dollar cars around to being disappointed for Toyota, who otherwise had out executed everyone again. They still have an advantage, though qualifying suggests it's more down to getting the details right in the race than outright speed.

About all we need now is either a Caddy, BMW or Proton win and it will be a perfect season.

Now the best news is we only have to wait two weeks for Fuji.

Race week at Fuji…penultimate race in the three-way title battle between the 6, 7, and 50. Hugely important weekend and I’m sure Toyota are stoked it’s at their home track.

Hyundai announcement will probably come this month, if at all. I believe this is around the time they were anticipating a board vote. WEC program will probably be run in-house, and ELMS P2 program could be in the cards for next year while the prospective IMSA factory team could be a surprise.

Alex Lynn pips Ryo Hirakawa for pole in the Cadillac! First pole in the series for the manufacturer. Dries Vanthoor follows in 3rd with a strong run for BMW. Ferrari are struggling for the second year in a row at Fuji as only one of their three cars made it to Hyperpole.

Back
Top Bottom