What 25 drivers do you add to make the 75 Greatest Nascar Drivers for the 75th anniversary?

wi_racefan

Team Owner
They were discussing this on the late shift the other night and I thought it might be some good offseason discussion. Below is the current 50. What 25 do you add to the list to make the greatest 75?

Curtis Turner
Herb Thomas
Tim Flock
Red Byron
Buck Baker
Lee Petty
Glenn “Fireball” Roberts
Junior Johnson
Joe Weatherly
Rex White
Ray Hendrick
Ralph Earnhardt
Cotton Owens
Marshall Teague
Marvin Panch,
Red Farmer
Glen Wood
A. J. Foyt
Fred Lorenzen
Bob Welborn
Bobby Isaac
Jerry Cook
Jack Ingram
Harry Gant
Tiny Lund
LeeRoy Yarbrough
Benny Parsons
Herschel McGriff
Richard Petty
Ned Jarrett
Tim Richmond
Buddy Baker
Richie Evans
Cale Yarborough
Alan Kulwicki
Bobby Allison
Davey Allison
Neil Bonnett
Geoff Bodine
Rusty Wallace
Mark Martin
David Pearson
Darrell Waltrip
Dale Jarrett
Ricky Rudd
Bill Elliott
Ernie Irvan
Dale Earnhardt
Jeff Gordon
Terry Labonte

Here's my list. Who are you adding or taking away?

1. Bobby Labonte
2. Tony Stewart
3. Matt Kenseth
4. Kurt Busch
5. Jimmie Johnson
6. Brad Keselowski
7. Kevin Harvick
8. Kyle Busch
9. Martin Truex Jr.
10. Joey Logano
11. Chase Elliott
12. Kyle Larson
13. Denny Hamlin
14. Carl Edwards
15. Ryan Newman
16. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
17. Ron Hornaday Jr.
18. Kasey Kahne
19. Jeff Burton
20. Greg Biffle
21. Tyler Reddick
22. Randy LaJoie
23. Matt Krafton
24. Todd Bodine
25. Jack Sprague

Add Larry Philips, 5 time NASCAR Weekly Series National Champion.

Tyler Reddick?
I say Reddick because back to back Xfinity championships with different teams plus 3 cup wins already.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Add Larry Philips, 5 time NASCAR Weekly Series National Champion.

Tyler Reddick?

My list

Bobby Labonte
Brad Keselowski
Butch Lindley
Carl Edwards
Chase Elliott
Christopher Bell
Clint Boyer
Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Denny Hamlin
Greg Biffle
Jamie McMurray
Jeff Burton
Jimmie Johnson
Joey Logano
Kevin Harvick
Kurt Busch
Kyle Busch
Kyle Larson
Larry Phillips
Martin Truex Jr.
Matt Kenseth
Ron Hornaday Jr
Ryan Newman
Sterling Marlin
Tony Stewart

Drivers that should crack the most recent top 25 in the next few seasons.
^
Alex Bowman
Ryan Blaney
Tyler Reddick

I guess I left Larry Phillips off my list because he didn't make the original list of 50 in 1998. Most of his accomplishments were prior to that. But that's JMO.

To me there's about 18 or so that are easy the rest can really be up for debate.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Looking through that original 50 and I only see one driver that is still competing.

I don't think because someone didn't make the list of 50 they shouldn't be included in the 75. There may be one or two that have better accomplishments than some of those mentioned here.

Here's my list. Who are you adding or taking away?

1. Bobby Labonte
2. Tony Stewart
3. Matt Kenseth
4. Kurt Busch
5. Jimmie Johnson
6. Brad Keselowski
7. Kevin Harvick
8. Kyle Busch
9. Martin Truex Jr.
10. Joey Logano
11. Chase Elliott
12. Kyle Larson
13. Denny Hamlin
14. Carl Edwards
15. Ryan Newman
16. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
17. Ron Hornaday Jr.
18. Kasey Kahne
19. Jeff Burton
20. Greg Biffle
21. Tyler Reddick
22. Randy LaJoie
23. Matt Krafton
24. Todd Bodine
25. Jack Sprague

I don’t think Tyler Reddick has won enough Cup races just yet to be on this list but he certainly can make a case if he does.

My list

Bobby Labonte
Brad Keselowski
Butch Lindley
Carl Edwards
Chase Elliott
Christopher Bell
Clint Boyer
Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Denny Hamlin
Greg Biffle
Jamie McMurray
Jeff Burton
Jimmie Johnson
Joey Logano
Kevin Harvick
Kurt Busch
Kyle Busch
Kyle Larson
Larry Phillips
Martin Truex Jr.
Matt Kenseth
Ron Hornaday Jr
Ryan Newman
Sterling Marlin
Tony Stewart

^
Alex Bowman
Ryan Blaney
Tyler Reddick
I like that list. McMurray didn't have many wins but he was consistent & had a long career.

Tony Stewart
FB_IMG_1681156626541.jpg

Really throw me off by moving my thread when I go to post this where my title made a lot more sense. There's such a thing as unnecessary moderation :mad:

I don't think because someone didn't make the list of 50 they shouldn't be included in the 75. There may be one or two that have better accomplishments than some of those mentioned here.
I may have to amend my statement here. If a driver was 51 or 52 when the 50 came out, those drivers could still be better than the more current drivers outside the 8-10 obvious ones.

My list

Bobby Labonte
Brad Keselowski
Butch Lindley
Carl Edwards
Chase Elliott
Christopher Bell
Clint Boyer
Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Denny Hamlin
Greg Biffle
Jamie McMurray
Jeff Burton
Jimmie Johnson
Joey Logano
Kevin Harvick
Kurt Busch
Kyle Busch
Kyle Larson
Larry Phillips
Martin Truex Jr.
Matt Kenseth
Ron Hornaday Jr
Ryan Newman
Sterling Marlin
Tony Stewart

^
Alex Bowman
Ryan Blaney
Tyler Reddick
Good list, I would probably take off Jamie McMurray and add Richie Evans just for a little more flavor from the Modified series. Spot on with Lindley. If Butch had lived and found the right opportunity he would have been a multi win Cup series driver.

Good list, I would probably take off Jamie McMurray and add Richie Evans just for a little more flavor from the Modified series. Spot on with Lindley. If Butch had lived and found the right opportunity he would have been a multi win Cup series driver.
Greg I'm sure you remember when Butch and Jack Ingram would pull in the track and unload those 2 cars sponsored by Black Diamond Coal Co and JW Hunt. I think I'd put Jack In and take out Sterling. Not that Jamie and Sterling dont deserve to be in but hell I'm old school and want some of my childhood in there.

Greg I'm sure you remember when Butch and Jack Ingram would pull in the track and unload those 2 cars sponsored by Black Diamond Coal Co and JW Hunt. I think I'd put Jack In and take out Sterling. Not that Jamie and Sterling dont deserve to be in but hell I'm old school and want some of my childhood in there.
I agree and I should not have omitted Jack Ingram or Richie Evans from my original list

A good case for Sam Ard could be made as well

Richie was on the 50 list wasn’t he? Or am I confusing him with another Modified driver? Anyone on that list is on this one, they are just adding 25 to the 50.

Picking the first 50 or 60 drivers on this type of list is fairly easy. Once you get past about 65 picks there are probably about 25 drivers remaining that you could make a reasonable case for including in your final ten remaining spots.

I still like these type of lists with the hope that it helps to celebrate and recognize the drivers for all they have accomplished. It is a good thing because people tend to focus on the GOATS and overlook a lot of other great drivers. But there will always be room for the debates and some honest doubts about the final cut etc ...

Just hang on until 2048 for the 100 year anniversary with the need for an update to list the best hunderd nascar drivers of all time.

I agree and I should not have omitted Jack Ingram or Richie Evans from my original list

A good case for Sam Ard could be made as well
Damn, How did I forget Sam? Just so many that its hard to remember. Dick Trickle is another

Richie was on the 50 list wasn’t he? Or am I confusing him with another Modified driver? Anyone on that list is on this one, they are just adding 25 to the 50.
Good question. I'll admit I dont remember all of the top 50 so I should have researched that first
** Edit, yes Richie and Jack are on it. Mea culpa

Back
Top Bottom